Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:55:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Buyer's remorse headed off at the pass

Started by Eight Taiwanese Teenagers, March 03, 2011, 08:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

I guess in the latter instance you've got a lot of hardcore players who'd complain about having to adapt to the new thumbpad. I'm not going to complain about a company putting in extra effort to please everyone.

Jim Jarmusch

PS3 having too many firmware updates, really? That's the best you lot can come up with. They're not that frequent even right now when Sony are issuing a futile counter defence against pirates. The XMB menu is simple, elegant and practical. Rather look at that than those grotesque avatars.

Exclusives are the main reason you buy a console. PS3 has a deeper, wider range of superb titles. It's gone from strength to strength since I picked up mine in 2008. It's software line up has been superior from that point on and 2011 it's the clear winner yet again. Kinect is an appalling waste of money. Nothing remotely good will ever be released for it.

Mass Effect 2 was the only game I was envious of, we got that one. Bungie (Halo creators) are multi-platform. Gears could even follow. Epic Games are either looking for a larger cheque or hinting it will happen in the future. Microsoft wants to change it's demographic, you'll all be forgotten about soon.

Mister Six

Well that sounds reasoned and unbiased.

Jim Jarmusch

Go back and read your own contribution. You've dismissed Uncharted, a game that won more awards than you can shake a stick at as average and ranted on about LittleBigPlanet with your three hours at a mate's house of experience. Clearly the one with the agenda.

You should be selling what the 360 can offer not going on an attack campaign. There's been not one mention of a game for that 360 and the threads turned into PS3 owners like usual having to defend their console. It's always been the same on here, you get your digs in and then any retaliation is laughed at.

We've got to justify the PS3. A couple of back handed compliments and the odd admission that their "even" is not enough anymore.

glitch

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on March 09, 2011, 04:37:17 AM
Exclusives are the main reason you buy a console.

For some people. I bought one so I could play on-line with mates, some I don't see very often due to the fact we live hundreds of miles away. Exclusives don't really matter to me, although if I'm honest, things like Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising were games I was looking forward to playing before I bought my 360.

Most of the people I know personally who bought a PS3 did it for one reason - they can justify paying that amount of money to the missus because it's also a cheap blu-ray player. Maybe Gran Turismo or Pro Evo when it was a PS exclusive were a factor. Only one of my friends bought a PS3 for the exclusives and he now regrets that because now he can't play with/against his friends on 360.

Microsoft wants to change it's demographic, you'll all be forgotten about soon.

No, they want to expand their target demographics into areas currently only catered for by the Wii (at least in the public's perception). There is no evidence they will give up their core demographic for casual gamers who spend less on software/hardware overall. They would be fools to do so, as are the people who suggest this is what's happening.

If Microsoft wanted to give up their "hardcore gamer" demographic why did they spend the however many millions of pounds to secure temporary exclusivity for the DLC for games like Fallout: Vegas and COD:Black Ops?

I'll just leave these here:

Kinect is an appalling waste of money. Nothing remotely good will ever be released for it.

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on March 09, 2011, 10:10:32 AM
It's always been the same on here, you get your digs in and then any retaliation is laughed at.

Mister Six

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on March 09, 2011, 10:10:32 AM
Go back and read your own contribution. You've dismissed Uncharted, a game that won more awards than you can shake a stick at as average and ranted on about LittleBigPlanet with your three hours at a mate's house of experience. Clearly the one with the agenda.

I just didn't think Uncharted was all that great, no matter how many awards it won. Likewise LBP 1, which I found to be tedious and shallow. What are the other exclusives? Heavy Rain I was properly impressed by and I look forward to seeing more from Cage. Infamous was good fun and had a great ending. Conversely, I found Dead Rising 1 to be so compromised by design flaws that I couldn't bring myself to even try the sequel. God, why am I trying to prove myself to you?

QuoteYou should be selling what the 360 can offer not going on an attack campaign. There's been not one mention of a game for that 360 and the threads turned into PS3 owners like usual having to defend their console. It's always been the same on here, you get your digs in and then any retaliation is laughed at.

It's not an 'attack campaign', you tit. I only know one person with a PS3 and he hates the thing, relegating it to a Blu-Ray player and only buying games for it if they're not available on the Wii or the 360. So obviously that's what I'm going to end up saying in this thread. I even said that there's not a lot of difference between the two and that there are loads of people who love the PS3. I was hardly running an ad campaign for Microsoft and it was all presented as being the opinions of myself and my friend, not rock hard fact.

Speaking of opinions, I do think that Uncharted and LBP are horrendously overrated - the latter more than the former - and I'd hate for someone to buy a PS3 just to play those games, so I felt compelled to voice a counterpoint there. Didn't occur to me to bang on about why the Xbox is great (or, indeed, to go on about Heavy Rain and Infamous) because I'm not on here to sell the ruddy machine. If it helps your righteous fury any, I also think that Killzone 2 is a tedious pile of generic shit (although I also dislike Gears of War! Ooh, get me!).

At the end of the day Microsoft and Sony are monolithic corporations that wouldn't care in the slightest if either one of us died tomorrow. I'm long past the point of tying a brand's colours around my arm like a Civil War drummer boy. If the PS4 turns out to be better than whatever Microsoft's new console ends up being called I'll happily buy one of those, just like I favoured PS2 over the original-flavour Xbox.

I find proselytising, partisan fanboys on either side of the imaginary war to be tedious in the extreme. GO MEGA DRIVE! MEGA DRIVE IS THE BEST! Fucksakes.

Mister Six

I feel compelled to add that I don't like Kinect at all. It's useless unless you've got a massive living room, it costs a fortune and - much like the Wii - it excels at flimsy party games that people quickly get bored of, leaving the hardware to gather dust. Unlike the Wii it's unlikely to offer up a Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess or Donkey Kong Country either.

Then again, I really dislike ostentatious control systems that don't involve plastic instruments. Controllers should reduce your awareness of everything but the game as much as possible. Something that requires you to leap around like a tit or wave a plastic wand in the air to make your character swing his sword is clearly not doing its job.

Still Not George

Quote from: Mister Six on March 09, 2011, 12:30:58 PMThen again, I really dislike ostentatious control systems that don't involve plastic instruments. Controllers should reduce your awareness of everything but the game as much as possible. Something that requires you to leap around like a tit or wave a plastic wand in the air to make your character swing his sword is clearly not doing its job.
My thinking exactly. Looks good in an ad, rubbish in play.

mobias

Quote from: Mister Six on March 09, 2011, 12:17:58 PM

I find proselytising, partisan fanboys on either side of the imaginary war to be tedious in the extreme. GO MEGA DRIVE! MEGA DRIVE IS THE BEST! Fucksakes.

Agreed. Up until recently I was an owner of both an 360 and PS3 and I never understood console fanboyism. I can understand the jealousy it creates when one console gets a better version of a cross platform game than another but I've never understood the sheer hatred that in turn seems to generate. Truth be told both consoles have some incredible games. I can only assume your friend who hates his PS3 has a pretty narrow minded appreciation of games. The over rated Uncharted series aside it has some great exclusives with more on the horizon.

On the subject of MS wanting to broaden the appeal of the 360 (and its successor) Its bullshit to level that as a criticism against MS since Sony would obviously dearly love to broaden the appeal of the PS brand too. In the end, with the next gen of consoles, it'll depend if either manufacturer invest more heavily in family orientated games at the cost of other genres. It may well happen but its as likely to be the policy of either brand I think. 

On another note one thing I've never understood is why the 360 is seen as the home of the 'hardcore' gamer? Having used both consoles extensively I never once thought the 360's games were so much more involved than anything the PS3 has to offer.

Mister Six

Quote from: Still Not George on March 09, 2011, 12:34:15 PM
My thinking exactly. Looks good in an ad, rubbish in play.

I mean, fair enough - it's fun in a party situation, where looking like a tit is half the entertainment[nb]Although I'm led to believe that the Kinect's not great for parties because people in the background can interfere with the sensor.[/nb] but the forced remote-waggling in Zelda and SMG was obnoxious.

Consignia

Quote from: Mister Six on March 09, 2011, 01:04:21 PM
I mean, fair enough - it's fun in a party situation

Is it even that fun in a party? In my experience, no one even bothers.

Mister Six

Quote from: mobias on March 09, 2011, 01:03:10 PMI can only assume your friend who hates his PS3 has a pretty narrow minded appreciation of games.

He has his tastes. He's kind of the opposite of me in that he gravitates to Bayonetta/Mario Galaxy-style games that are more about besting your high scores and getting all the secret stars (or whatever) than following a plot. He loves Super Meat Boy, for example. Whereas I'd rather sink myself into a hundred-hour, elaborately plotted RPG.

QuoteOn the subject of MS wanting to broaden the appeal of the 360 (and its successor) Its bullshit to level that as a criticism against MS since Sony would obviously dearly love to broaden the appeal of the PS brand too.

Hence their Move controllers, which launched around the same time as the Kinect.

QuoteOn another note one thing I've never understood is why the 360 is seen as the home of the 'hardcore' gamer? Having used both consoles extensively I never once thought the 360's games were so much more involved than anything the PS3 has to offer.

I imagine it's to do with associations - Playstation was the console that made gaming cool and appealed to the 20-something gamer crowd. Microsoft are obviously associated with PCs, which until recently were the only regular source of complex, involved genres like strategy games, MMOs and western RPGs (just look at the way the Baldur's Gate and Fallout franchises were turned into overhead action games for consoles). So when the 360 made Microsoft a viable console contender, it brought with it all those associations.

In reality, of course, both consoles have loads of vacuous, shit-coloured, tedious shooters as well as more complex, nuanced fare.

Mister Six

Quote from: Consignia on March 09, 2011, 01:14:53 PM
Is it even that fun in a party? In my experience, no one even bothers.

I've had fun times with friends getting pissed up and playing Raving Rabbids. Maybe not a party as such, but a gathering.

glitch

Quote from: mobias on March 09, 2011, 01:03:10 PM
On another note one thing I've never understood is why the 360 is seen as the home of the 'hardcore' gamer? Having used both consoles extensively I never once thought the 360's games were so much more involved than anything the PS3 has to offer.

On-line first person shooters. I've not experienced the PS3 in this capacity but my friends that have both PS3s/360s prefer the 360's online experience and this is where they play their deathmatch games.

I was only using "hardcore" to differentiate from "casual" gamers, I wasn't saying the 360's audience was more hardcore than the PS3.