Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:42:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bosses that took far too long to beat

Started by Cerys, March 05, 2011, 05:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

I've finally toasted the Tomb Raider Anniversary centaurs.  Three years after I first tried.  In my defence, I haven't had a PS2 for most of those three years.  One (or rather two) of the most annoying bosses I've ever encountered.  Can I hear a 'hell yeah'?

Mister Six

HELL YEAH!

Fighting Poison Ivy in the otherwise splendid Batman: Arkham Asylum was like standing on a bit of tetanus-laden rusty metal in a green and verdant pasture. The whole practice of refilling the boss's cunting energy bar is bad enough - why do it three times? At the very least there should be a pop-up saying, 'YOU CLEARLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. WOULD YOU LIKE TO SKIP THIS BIT?'

HELL YEAH. I can't remember playing that but what about that Chinese cunt in the museum in Tomb Raider Legend? That took me ages, couldn't figure out any kind of pattern or weak spot so just ran around unloading all my bullets and finally beat him after about twenty goes. Shit boss.

Almost as hard as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT3h2iLROUk

Big Jack McBastard

Oh just every boss in Ninja Gaiden 2 was a pain in the arse, usually because I'd supped my supply of health packs and such by the time I got to them. The big rolling armadillo-looking lava monster was the worst though, you fight through an airship level where the enemies get progressively harder culminating in a ruck with a smattering of the hardest of them and one of your main foes who shits all over your ability to stay on your feet while he carves your ass up.

Manage to beat them and you get kicked off the airship and land right next to that firey rolling shithouse who proceeds to lay down some serious ownage unless you've stocked up on health and such and barely used a sniff of either in the previous fight, which was a ballache to do and no mistake.

THIS THUNDERING CUNT.

Street Fighter 3's end boss, and what a cheating little fuck. Took me and 2 mates over an hour to finally put the fucking prick down (was me who did it, natch). I have never again even bothered. Pretty sure it was on the easiest difficulty setting too.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

KING on Virtua Tennis was unsurprisingly really fucking good at Virtua Tennis.

But then like all tennis games you just worked out what to do in rallies to get him out of position and it was in the bag. Not after much controller abuse (I don't do controller abuse but my brother reeeeally does).

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on March 05, 2011, 05:37:20 PM
HELL YEAH!

Fighting Poison Ivy in the otherwise splendid Batman: Arkham Asylum was like standing on a bit of tetanus-laden rusty metal in a green and verdant pasture. The whole practice of refilling the boss's cunting energy bar is bad enough - why do it three times? At the very least there should be a pop-up saying, 'YOU CLEARLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. WOULD YOU LIKE TO SKIP THIS BIT?'

That was my favourite boss.  The others were bollocks, but then it wasn't really a "boss" game.

My favourite games are boss games.  Here is one that I took slightly too many goes at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRv7ij6vrM8

Epsilon, in Astro Boy: the Omega Factor's hard mode, is the most difficult boss in the game.  All of her attacks will wipe you out in one hit, and she can pull any of them out of her arse at any time.  Your super attacks barely scratch her - one laser takes off about half a bar of life.  It's a cunt.  Class game though.

Puffin Chunks

The final boss in Gun on the PS2. The entire game was ridiculously easy up to this point, so the developers saw fit to balance this out by including a boss that was so frustratingly hard to beat, that I certainly got bored trying and moved on.

http://www.5min.com/Video/GUN---FINAL-BOSS---Magruder-81994414

This thing from the first GBA Mario RPG:

I once spent over two hours trying to beat it, fractionally missed a button cue and died, then considered smashing the cartridge into bits with hammers.

NoSleep

Some of the bosses in Vagrant Story required concentrated effort to beat and took me 1-1.5 hours per try to whittle them down.

vrailaine

Any game that decided to have you fight every boss in the game at the end, just too fucking tedious to bother with. I think Capcom loved doing this shite?

Utter Shit

The Demon Gate (or Wall?) in Final Fantasy VII was so difficult as to make basically every other enemy in the game seem like a piece of piss. I can't really remember much about fighting Sephiroth or even either of the Weapons, but the Demon Gate was a bastard.

I've always thought that the Scorpion at the start of FF7 was incredibly difficult for an opening boss too - once you learned what exactly to do it was easy enough, but the first time you get thrown in with it, you're not expecting the advice that is thrown at you and it's easy to make mistakes in all the madness going on around you.

MojoJojo

The thing at the end of Star Trek Vogager: Elite Force.
Made worse by the fact it didn't indicate damage in anyway, so I spent ages assuming I was supposed to do something clever to kill it.
Nope, just shoot it lots.

Cerys

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 07, 2011, 10:03:34 AM
The Demon Gate (or Wall?) in Final Fantasy VII was so difficult as to make basically every other enemy in the game seem like a piece of piss. I can't really remember much about fighting Sephiroth or even either of the Weapons, but the Demon Gate was a bastard.

Odd thing is that the first few times I played FFVII I didn't have much trouble with it - and then the most recent playthrough it took ages to toast the bastard.

PAGATRON

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 07, 2011, 10:03:34 AM

I never come across such cunts as the Emerald and Ruby Weapons, you give them everything you got for about 10 or 15 minuites, then they'll get board and kill you in one move.

Waking Life

I remember I really struggled with Hojo.  My characters weren't really strong enough so it took me a long time to get past him.  I played it through a second time a few years later and cruised past as I had learned from my mistake.  The underwater weapon still took an age to beat even when you knew what you were doing.  That KOTR summon became extremely tedious to watch.

Consignia

I've never beaten either Emerald or Ruby Weapons. The grind to get your characters strong enough just isn't worth it to me. I quite like Ozma in FFIX, because you don't need to grind to beat him although it does require a fair amount of luck.

Cerys

I've twatted Emerald and Ruby, but Ozma still eludes me.  One day.

madhair60

Quote from: A Lurker Speaks on March 06, 2011, 09:30:38 AM
This thing from the first GBA Mario RPG:

I once spent over two hours trying to beat it, fractionally missed a button cue and died, then considered smashing the cartridge into bits with hammers.

The worst thing about this boss is - if memory serves - when you start the battle both brothers have 1hp.  And the boss goes first.  And there was another hard boss directly before it, with no save point in between.

Jim Jarmusch

Quote from: Puffin Chunks on March 05, 2011, 11:33:16 PM
The final boss in Gun on the PS2. The entire game was ridiculously easy up to this point, so the developers saw fit to balance this out by including a boss that was so frustratingly hard to beat, that I certainly got bored trying and moved on.

I was about to add the same. Only game where I've got anywhere near close to the end and given up. I don't want to watch the video and bring up those memories of dynamite landing at my feet. If I would have paid more than £3 for it off eBay I'd have stuck at it more to see that ending sequence.

The final team on Super Soccer on the SNES were bastards to beat. You could score goals five or six ways, guaranteed to go in if you approached their oppositions penalty area at the right angle up until you met that team. One mistimed challenges and you had conceded. I can remember all of their attacking players names and the hatred I felt when I read it underneath the celebration.

FartOnMyBalls

Serris from Metroid Fusion:

I spent literally months trying to kill this bastard in a No Energy Tanks playthrough, never did beat it.

Little Hoover

Quote from: Cerys on March 08, 2011, 10:07:49 AM
I've twatted Emerald and Ruby, but Ozma still eludes me.  One day.

Oh I managed to do Ozma when I last replayed him.

It's ridiculous though, it is all just getting lucky with him not spamming his most damaging attacks

Cerys

I tend to get bored before I get powerful enough to twat him.  It's silly - I've beaten Ultima and Omega weapons in FFVIII, but not Ozzie.

Consignia

The thing is, Ozma's health is much lower than any of the other mega bosses in Final Fantasy, so you don't need to grind so much. Plus, it's easy to get both Steiner and Fran to do 9999 (or thereabouts) damage quite early on. I think I've beaten the mega bosses in FFVIII as well, but that's easy because you can pummel with limit breaks and make your characters invincible with Hero Drinks or some such fish. Plus grinding puts you at a disadvantage in FFVIII.

I just can't comprehend beating Emerald and Ruby though, they are just both utter bastards.

Cerys

The trick is to get Knights of the Round, W-Summon and Mime.  If you're lucky you can twat Emerald before it gets any attack off at you.  Ruby took a bit more working out, but it's essentially the same attack plan.

NoSleep

Quote from: Cerys on March 14, 2011, 11:40:39 AM
The trick is to get Knights of the Round

Took me twenty hours to breed the required chocobo.

Cerys

Clearly you just weren't obsessed enough :)

Consignia

Is it possible to beat Emerald within 20 minutes with those tactics? Because the other pain is getting the underwater materia.

I keep telling myself every playthrough, this time, I'm actually going to beat Emerald and Ruby. Yet, they still elude me.

Cerys

Um - y'know, I'm not sure.  Each KOTR summon takes a while, and you need quite a few of them.  Possibly?

Failing that, getting the Underwater materia only means morphing the ,,, gah, can't remember what it's called - Ghost Ship? - in the underwater tunnel by the Junon reactor.  And then taking the result to a bloke in Kalm.  Actually, you're right - twatting Emerald in under twenty minutes would make it easier.