Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:32:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Heads Up: Ianucci on Britain's Best Sitcom - 7.2.04 @ 8pm

Started by DrJ, February 07, 2004, 06:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJ

I hadn't noticed anyone mentioning this.

"Armando Ianucci pleads the case for 'Yes Minister' on Saturday at 8pm, BBC2."

Should be good.

DuncanC

Dr David V

I didn't watch it as such, but I saw a couple of bits of it, and his comments on over-speedy reality-TV editing were fantastic.

Darrell

Well, I really have to get around to getting into this programme, not being particularly familiar with it at present.

Armando was as likeable as ever (although he hasn't half aged since the Shows!).

fbb bastard

absolutely fucking brilliant and no mistake......got the up to date relevance of the show straight on the button....the subtle and not so subtle digs at pretty much all the others on the list.....arse-swap and kettles from hell.....terrific

bollocks to the others.....THIS is the best sitcom of the list by a country mile

CK1

Excellent. Liked the way he attacked the likes of "The Good Life" and had a few little digs!

And the awards graph was a clever touch!

peet

Aye it was good, the bit about Peter Mandelson thinking that Alan Partridge was a real person and wanting him to do an interview was hilarious!

Rats

I enjoyed that, what I saw of it. It's a lot better when you don't know the program they're talking about. My dad used to have it on and I'd sit there not understanding any of it. I'll have to see if I can get a hold of an episode. It looked alright.

alan strang

Derek Fowldes claimed he wanted to buy his title-sequence caricature but couldn't afford it.

There was actually a much better reason why this wasn't possible. I heard (from someone who worked on the titles) that the producer kept hinting to Gerald Scarfe throughout filming that he'd quite like to keep the finished artwork to hang in his office or whatever. Scarfe, who hates people profiting from his art, made a point of ripping up the caricatures once it was all in the can!

Rats

My first reaction is "god, I hope that's true" but then I thought "hang on, he's being paid to make a title sequence to a show, he's not doing it out of love, he probably hasn't even read a script, what a selfish cunt" so now I hope it isn't true.

weekender

How would having the artwork hung in his office make him be profiting from it?

Rats

Maybe he saw it as "Let me take your daughter out, I'll only give her a lick around the edges" as in "I'll hang it in my office but I might eventually sell it when the price rockets"

Shaddock

Quote from: "fbb bastard"absolutely fucking brilliant and no mistake......got the up to date relevance of the show straight on the button....the subtle and not so subtle digs at pretty much all the others on the list.....arse-swap and kettles from hell.....terrific

bollocks to the others.....THIS is the best sitcom of the list by a country mile

Well, Yes Minister's very good -- but not as good as Porridge.  YM was much better than the good-but-overrated Fawlty Towers.  What really get on my tits (and I haven't even got any) is the endless repeats of Only Fools and Horses - terribly overrated.

Lt Plonker

Was it me, or did the awards graph have on it 'The Gay Life' instead of The Good Life?

Good programme. I'll have to start watching Yes, Minister.

Piss! I can`t believe I missed it, does anyone know if it is going to be repeated on BBC 3 or 4?

imitationleather

Gah! I missed it too!

No, it's not going to get repeated. Possibly the only think I want to watch at the moment and it'll never get shown again! I hold Jane Root wholly responsible, for whatever reason. The bitch.

ApexJazz

Sheesh, Armando is just so damn accessible these days.  so, this program was a winner, eh? I don't take this whole top ten british sitcom list very seriously (mostly because Hancock's Half Hour didn't make the list)

Ambient Sheep

I think there's a strong case to be made that Yes, [Prime] Minister was a major factor in the decline of the British people's trust in politics.

I remember when it first came out how ludicrous the events in it seemed, until we were told that it was Thatcher's favourite TV programme, not least because it was so accurate.  Accurate?!?  "Um, yes," said various luminaries as the truth seeped out, "that's how it is, that's how government really works, more or less".

"OH" went a disgruntled populace.

Sorry, just my two-pennorth.  Sorry if Armando said all that, 'cos I missed it as well.

fbb bastard

in a roundbout way he did say as much....there was a particularly superb juxtaposition of hacker saying how politicians handle interviews with the paxo/howard classic which summed it all up nicely

its a fair point though.....although i should imagine politicians themselves having a far greater role in the of the politicial disillusionment of us great unhosed

its true though...that a sitcom should have a much greater effect than a thousand similar documentaries would have just goes to show what a barnstormer it really was...same in the way that dibley completely removes all posibility of the existance of god

and didnt hackers hair in YPM remind anyone else of morris do in the war bits in the tdt?

butnut

Quote from: "fbb bastard"same in the way that dibley completely removes all posibility of the existance of god

Because it's so shit?

fbb bastard

that and the fact that no possible concept of a god of any kind wouldnt take one look at that bunch of bastards and smite them in the ash they deserve

(by the by i was having a check for the name of that american comic at the end of AI's radio 2 show and found this........i have no doubt this has already been put up before and have no doubt that i apologise for the faux pas but what the hell)
http://www.sundayherald.com/39650

Johnny Yesno

That was great. It's been the only one of these shows I've seen extolling the virtues of other shows that was a decent programme itself. I agree with fbb bastard that the hacker/paxo/howard cutup was superb.

Mister Six

Shite, I missed this. Any recordings or rips that you lovely, lovely people could supply me with?

Macerate and Petrify

Also desperate for someone to have recorded this, was engrossed in a particularly violent game of Risk at the time and I missed it. It sounded really good though. Argh.