Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:39:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wot You Playin' At?

Started by Still Not George, March 12, 2011, 09:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Still Not George

I'm always interested in what games people are playing.

I say the plural, cos I'm usually playing a whole load of them at the same time, and I kind of assume everyone else does that. But I'm not sure. Hence this thread.

At the moment, I'm playing:

- PC: Fate of the World. (Fuck me it's hard going. You think you're doing well then BAM! The oil runs out and you're completely shagged.)
- PC: Din's Curse demo. (Yeah, I read RPS. Damn fine little Diablo clone, though. Must remember to mention it in the storyline thread at some point.)
- PC: Medieval 2. (I lost my savegames in my last crash and I'm determined to unlock all the countries again. PROPERLY, none of this cheaty mod bollocks.)
- PC: Hearts of Iron 3. (Bottom of the list atm, which it doesn't really deserve. It'll probably go back to being my main evening time-devourer once I get bored of FotW.)
- 360: Mass Effect 2. (When I can prise Cerys away from Tomb Raider Anniversary, anyway.)
- 360: Overlord 2. (ditto. Fun stuff, mind.)

This is a fairly normal number of things for me to be playing. I count anything I've played in the last 7 days and intend to play again at some point in the next 7, and for a change Minecraft isn't there (I did log in earlier but that was just to check something for ZG, honest!) and neither is Dwarf Fortress, so my building twitch may finally be mostly over.

How about the rest of you? What's eating up your time atm?

jutl

PC: Dragon Age II
Wii: Epic Mickey
Wii: Kirby's Epic Yarn
360: Beyond Good and Evil HD
360: Fable III
360: Majin & The Forsaken Kingdom
PS3: Demon Souls
PS3: Eternal Sonata
PS3: Pixel Junk Shooter II

chand

At the moment switching between Killzone 3, PES2011 and Pixeljunk Shooter 2 (which is bastard fucking infuriating at times).

Got Bulletstorm a week ago and have still failed to get around to playing it. Not finished Dead Space 2 either.

madhair60

Far Cry 2 and Assassin's Creed off the recent Steam Ubisoft deal.

I am quite taken with Far Cry 2 - it's got problems, but it is gorgeous at times.

Also playing Pokémon White on DS.  It's annoyingly excellent.

Consignia

I've got a load of games on the go at the moment:

PS3: Catherine - Devlishly brilliant horror puzzler.
X360: Idolm@ster 2, Deathsmiles - I'm shit at it but I love it.
PSP: Valkyria Chronicles 3 - What 2 should have been

And a few more on the periphery at the moment that I'm not actively playing.

Stacking on PS3 and revisiting Abe's Oddysee in miniature on PSP. The latter is such a fucking great game which I didn't appreciate fully first time around.

Still Not George

Quote from: thehungerartist on March 12, 2011, 10:49:16 PM
Stacking on PS3 and revisiting Abe's Oddysee in miniature on PSP. The latter is such a fucking great game which I didn't appreciate fully first time around.
It#s truly wonderful, isn't it? Gets criminally overlooked in "Best Games Evar" articles, too, typically in favour of the prettier-but-inferior Abe's Exodus.

Most certainly is. Saving each and every one of those mudokon bitches is tough, but I'm savouring it.

I remember my PlayStation came with a demo disc with Abe and Metal Gear Solid on and - to my eternal shame - I bought into the hype and got Metal Gear that Christmas. To my even greater shame, I only played Abe's Oddysee a year or so later when the console was chipped (acquired it legitimately this time though and - despite the bad rep - will do the same for Exodus). A bit late, like.

Zetetic

In a relatively dull manshoot phase:
Hitman: Blood Money  (Although the main interest comes from not shooting people. The last 'level' rather took me back rather with its loveliness. Interesting, slightly subversive and yet still utterly intuitive.)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat (Replay, with Complete mod. More pretty than ever just wandering around around the zone.)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Multiplayer)

I've also got
The Witcher
in the background, which I really should push on with before the next one comes out.
As RPGs go it's fun, engaging and rather different. It's certainly stopping me having any interest in Dragon's Age 2 for the time being...

I'm playing a lot of Dungeon Raid on the iPhone at the moment. It's kinda like a roguelike version of Puzzle Quest, with all the addictiveness that suggests.

Penfold

I'm starting to replay Bulletstorm (360) on Normal difficulty[nb]which is big for me as I hate FPS games and Normal difficulty since whenever Goldeneye came out[/nb]

Still slowly working my way through LBP2 on PS3, and can't stop trying Bejeweled Blitz on XBLA.

I may also start playing the original Motorstorm on PS3 as I'm sure I love everything about it.

EDIT: also Tiny Wings on iPhone, although I may never get 34 seconds of Fever.

AsparagusTrevor

On the PC I still play Left 4 Dead 2 usually once about week. I've also got CoD: Black Ops going at the moment, haven't touched it for a good few weeks though.

On the Xbox 360 I'm currently playing Dead Rising 2, previously played for a while on the PC now I've migrated since I was bored of the PC version's constant crashing and bugginess. Me and my wife are also working our way through Guitar Hero 5. I've also got Tekken 6 going at the moment, always been a fan of the series but this entry's not clicking with me. Maybe it's the lack of innovation, evolution or any kind of noticeable improvement (outside of the, still disappointing, graphics) that means it's starting to grate now.

Mister Six

'Playing' is a bit of an odd term because I only got the Xbox set up again yesterday, having moved into a mate's flat in Beijing. However, when I get the chance I'll be plonking myself down to:

Red Dead Redemption (360)
By far the most polished and engrossing game Rockstar have ever published, even outstripping the splendid Bully. Spent an enjoyable few hours playing it as an animal murder simulator and doing the side challenges.[nb]However, having just reached Mexico I'm a little concerned about the writing, which went from believable, evocative and naturalistic with the farm-woman and sheriff to slightly goofy with the snake oil salesman and finally GTA-level lazy and stupid with the corpse-stealing treasure hunter and the drunken Irish stereotype. Apparently the Mexico bits are even more dubiously written.[/nb]

Deadly Premenition (360)
It's odd, really. This is objectively a pretty poor game [nb]The driving controls are atrocious; the dialogue frequently clunky; the combat, while not as awful as some claim, is fiddly and unintuitive; the graphics are barely better than the original Xbox; and the whole thing is a complete rip-off of Twin Peaks.[/nb] but by god it's engrossing and does some really clever stuff with gaming tropes. I've actually decided to put it to one side now so that my enjoyment isn't diluted by RDR. I almost never do this with games but DP's worth it.

Scott Pilgrim (360)
Bought this ages ago from XLA when the film came out, but it was so frustratingly difficult that I and my mates never actually completed it. I'm now playing it again with my new flatmates and was happy to discover that the latest patch lowers the difficulty level quite a bit.

This is about right for me; I generally never have more than two or three on the go at any one point, though that's usually because I tend to play long, engrossing games that encourage hours-long stints. And because I'm perpetually skint.

Penfold

Quote from: Mister Six on March 13, 2011, 02:55:04 AM
'Playing' is a bit of an odd term because I only got the Xbox set up again yesterday, having moved into a mate's flat in Beijing. However, when I get the chance I'll be plonking myself down to:

Red Dead Redemption (360)
By far the most polished and engrossing game Rockstar have ever published, even outstripping the splendid Bully. Spent an enjoyable few hours playing it as an animal murder simulator and doing the side challenges.[nb]However, having just reached Mexico I'm a little concerned about the writing, which went from believable, evocative and naturalistic with the farm-woman and sheriff to slightly goofy with the snake oil salesman and finally GTA-level lazy and stupid with the corpse-stealing treasure hunter and the drunken Irish stereotype. Apparently the Mexico bits are even more dubiously written.[/nb]

Deadly Premenition (360)
It's odd, really. This is objectively a pretty poor game [nb]The driving controls are atrocious; the dialogue frequently clunky; the combat, while not as awful as some claim, is fiddly and unintuitive; the graphics are barely better than the original Xbox; and the whole thing is a complete rip-off of Twin Peaks.[/nb] but by god it's engrossing and does some really clever stuff with gaming tropes. I've actually decided to put it to one side now so that my enjoyment isn't diluted by RDR. I almost never do this with games but DP's worth it.

Scott Pilgrim (360)
Bought this ages ago from XLA when the film came out, but it was so frustratingly difficult that I and my mates never actually completed it. I'm now playing it again with my new flatmates and was happy to discover that the latest patch lowers the difficulty level quite a bit.

This is about right for me; I generally never have more than two or three on the go at any one point, though that's usually because I tend to play long, engrossing games that encourage hours-long stints. And because I'm perpetually skint.

I love the Red Dead Redemption. I initially replied to this thinking I had more about that game but I don't, I just love Horseys. Despite the guy called Irish being drunk.

I also started replaying Scott Pilgrim trying to complete it with each character to see each ending and if you like to cheat I found getting to the shopping district in the first level then buy a drink to go then use the konami code[nb]In Scott Pilgrim (XBLA and PSN) Pressing 'up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A (O, X on PS3)' while holding the trigger (L2 & R2 on PS3) buttons will make the player commit suicide in exchange for a large sum of money. Exploitable if a snack item such as bubble gum is used, as the player's life will not be wasted.[/nb] helps as you die but it pays out cash. Do this enough and you can pay off Scott's late fees quickly and get the power-ups.

Deadly Premonition? I may buy it, it's cheap at Zavvi for CaB points. http://dvd-music.at/cookdandbombd?DURL=http://www.zavvi.co.uk/games/platforms/xbox-360/deadly-premonition/10239852.html

Mister Six

Quote from: Penfold on March 13, 2011, 03:16:11 AM
I love the Red Dead Redemption. I initially replied to this thinking I had more about that game but I don't, I just love Horseys. Despite the guy called Irish being drunk.

Oh, l I think RDR is an absolutely spectacular game that excels on every single level. I just felt a bit disappointed that after the mature, thoughful and realistic depictions of Bonnie MacFarlane, Drew MacFarlane and Marshal Johnson the next three quest characters are increasingly cartoony and generic. Nigel West-Dickens I could half forgive because a snake oil salesman is bound to be a bit larger than life, but graverobber Seth was just a little too broad and Irish was straight out of GTA's Big Book of Generic One-Note Comedy Clichés. I've heard that the writing takes an even bigger downswing in Mexico but I'm willing to push on because riding around on my horse and shooting fools in the chest is so much fun. Also, I just got a lovely new revolver.

QuoteDeadly Premonition? I may buy it, it's cheap at Zavvi for CaB points. http://dvd-music.at/cookdandbombd?DURL=http://www.zavvi.co.uk/games/platforms/xbox-360/deadly-premonition/10239852.html

I think I got it for £11 on Play when they had a bit of a special offer on, but it's still a steal at £15. I would give the proviso that it is amazingly incompetent (or, to be kinder, unpolished) in many ways, but if you're the sort of person that likes to lose themselves in a story then it's well worth picking up.

EDIT: Grammar!

mobias

For me Red Dead Redemption is the best game this generation has produced. Huge fan of open world games, Rockstar obviously do it better than anyone and RDR is the best thing they've done. Streets ahead of GTAIV on every level.

At the moment I'm playing a bit of Motorstorm on the PS3. Huge fan of the franchise and Motorstorm Apocalypse comes out next week. Looks incredible, arcade racers really don't get any better than this. Its just got a perfect balance for me of the sort of non realistic arcade gameplay you want coupled with beautiful graphics and a highly detailed physics engine.

Still Not George

Quote from: mobias on March 13, 2011, 11:57:41 AMAt the moment I'm playing a bit of Motorstorm on the PS3. Huge fan of the franchise and Motorstorm Apocalypse comes out next week. Looks incredible, arcade racers really don't get any better than this. Its just got a perfect balance for me of the sort of non realistic arcade gameplay you want coupled with beautiful graphics and a highly detailed physics engine.
I'm actually kind of nervous about Motorstorm Apocalypse. Motorstorm is so wonderfully done I can't help but feel Apocalypse will be a let-down.

Today I'm playing Dungeon Overlord on Facebook while not looking after the sprog (she's busy deconstructing a My Little Pony at the moment). Oh, and I ended up playing Minecraft last night after mentioning it on here. Went on to my local RP club's multiplayer server and dug an underground tunnel between Suzy's beach house and my Eldritch Tower(TM) so I can sneak around for visits late at night.

niat

I'm staying in a hotel with work at the moment, doing 12 hour shifts 6am to 6pm, so I've brought my 360 with me as the room has a decent LCD telly. I get so little time to play at home it seems like a good opportunity to catch up on some gaming.

I've brought my pile of unplayed/hardly played games with me:

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - The multiplayer is supposed to be great, but as I'll be playing offline I'm hitting the single player campaign.

RDR - I played this a lot when it came out, but as with many of the GTA open-world type games I moved onto other things and never completed it. I've loved it so far, and I downloaded the zombie add-on so might give that a whirl.

Dead Space 2 - I never played the first one, and didn't like the demo, but I've read so many good reviews of this and it was quite cheap at Zavvi so I took the plunge. Have only played about the first hour so far, and it scared me shitless. Might give this a go with the lights out tonight and die of a heart attack when room service knock on the door.

Assassin's Creed 2 - picked it up cheap, haven't played it at all yet.

FIFA 11 - Maybe I can avenge Palace's defeat at QPR yesterday.

Puffin Chunks

PC: Rise of Nations. Been playing this on and off for years and never seem to get bored of building up my little armies and unleashing TOTAL DESTRUCTION.

N64 (Project64, My N64 is halfway round the world at the mo.): Perfect Dark. I haven't played this since I first got this way back in nineteen ninety whenever. Damn this game is good. Ok, graphics are dated now but it is still so much fun to play. I finished Turok 2 again recently (which is also a lot of fun, but in a very different way) and felt like having a bit more N64 1st Person Shooter action. The good thing about Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on Project64 is that you can set the in-game controller options to 2 controllers and then remap them in Project64 to one controller for full analogue controls. I will never understand how Rare managed to cram so much content into those little carts.

Amiga (via WinUAE. See above for location of my A600): Walker. Never really played this first time round. It's quite fun for a while but getting a bit repetitive so may move on without completing it. You Basically play as a massive ED-209 taking out all the little army men and their various contraptions who are trying to stop you at all costs in an ultimately samey war-torn city environment. However, destroying things with big machines is always fun.

PS3: Red Faction Guerilla. Picked this up cheap pre-owned (sorry, SNG) after reading good things about it here. It's quite fun, but hasn't really engaged me yet. Only just started it though, so will reserve judgement.

weekender

SNES: Super Pang
SNES: Sensible Soccer
Megadrive: Speedball 2
Megadrive: Sonic The Hedgehog

Hopefully moving house soon, so in the course of preliminary packing I've dug out all my old games consoles.  The NES and Megadrive are probably going to get sold on a popular auction website, but I keep going back to some of the SNES games so I'll probably keep that.

I ♥ Super Pang.  The SNES version is the only one that comes close to the arcade game, in my view.

Big Jack McBastard

Mine are all PC at the minute:

Divinity 2 (Thanks to HappyTree on this one) Since it's the 'Saga' edition it blends straight into it's add-on where you're mostly confined to a city (something the main game was lacking but now I'm sort of itching to leave which will probably mean the end of the game). A mix of Fable and Oblivion in terms of gameplay with a slice of Dragon Age's plot, bit daft in places but it's kept me glued for a couple of weeks now.

Neverwinter Nights 2 - I'm a bit late on this bandwagon, it's pretty standard D&D fare but quite customizable and I like the way the skills and feats work. Hard going if you just wade in, need a bit of luck and tactics in places.

The Sims3 - Slickback Taint father[nb]Much to my chagrin no 'pimp' option[/nb] of 2 fly honeys (Cherry and Honey) has just moved into Simville and is quickly becoming a seasoned career criminal while his girls dominate the science and rock music scenes. A huge scope for potential, easy to loose hours in.

Crysis Not very far in but liking pretty much everything about it so far.

I'm also kind of playing Spore and have Stalker, SWAT 4 and Myst V sat on the drive untouched.

Still haven't finished CODBO, Vanquish and Deadly Premonition on t'Xbox, it's going to be weird going back to a controller.

mobias

Quote from: Still Not George on March 13, 2011, 12:49:21 PM
I'm actually kind of nervous about Motorstorm Apocalypse. Motorstorm is so wonderfully done I can't help but feel Apocalypse will be a let-down.

I'm with you there. And in fact my worst fears where realised when I downloaded the demo last week. It basically looks and plays like Burnout meets Split Second with none of the unique feel of Motorstorm.
However I've now read more than one report by people that have an early copy of the finished game who say the demo is not representative of it (the demo is apparently from a relatively early build with lower textures and less detailed physics - and it shows!) So I'm somewhat relieved. What I quite like about it is that Motorstorm has always been one of the few racing games to try and give itself a sense of context. They're these crazy off road racing festivals that dot themselves round the world in various insane locations. Motorstorm Apocalypse takes that one stage further and actually has a beginning, middle and end narrative running through it. From what I've seen of it the way they've gone about telling the story looks cheesy as hell and quite naff but at least they're trying to push the direction of it and I applaud that.  The environment destruction does look incredible and the graphics look breathtaking. One of the reasons I like Motorstorm (and Burnout for that matter) is that its a fun racing game to loose at. The sheer spectacle of the game gives you as much fun as beating it, which is more than can be said for Gran Turismo.

Watch these clips to the end to see the environment destruction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ohCO10kHc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/user/KonsolifinMedia#p/a/u/2/ehAC03E3chA

Barberism

Have about a month off before I start my CELTA. Also selling off a lot of stuff on ebay, going through my old games and giving them one last play.

Game Boy: Been playing Mystic Quest. If Link's awakening didn't exist this would be the best handheld RPG. Really epic game. I should pull my finger out and do a decent write up for the 1001 greatest games of all time thread. It's really satisfying when something you enjoyed as a kid still stands up when you are an adult.

PC: Sid Meier's Pirates Loved this when it was on the Amiga. The remake is just as awesome. Gets a bit repetitive but I love how you can spin your own narrative and get lost in it.
Dawn of War Retribution: Not as good as Chaos Rising. Just spam squads and click attack until enemy is dead. I love RTS but Dawn of War 2 was better when it felt like a cross between Diablo, Cannon Fodder, and Commandos.

Ipod: Battleheart. Really fun and lighthearted RPG. But is turning into a bit of a grindfest.

glitch

Quote from: Barberism on March 13, 2011, 09:59:33 PM
Ipod: Battleheart. Really fun and lighthearted RPG. But is turning into a bit of a grindfest.

I've been enjoying this on the iPhone but you're right, after a while it's just grinding. Annoyingly I've not run into any additional content once I completed it and you get duplicate character classes that don't seem to differ aside from the sprite used. Still, I've so far had 15 hours of gameplay out of it so it's got me through a fair few commutes and is pretty good value.

I have several games on the go at the moment, none of which I'm actually playing.

Assassin's Creed 2 - got bored almost immediately, at the 5 hour mark.
Oblivion - my second playthrough, got further this time but just bored of it now.
GTA: The Ballad Of Gay Tony - only started this a bit ago and actually enjoyed it a lot, just haven't returned to it for some reason. Why this wasn't the official GTA4 I do not understand, it's been more enjoyable in 6 hours than the whole of the first game was.
Mafia 2 - So fucking shit.

Stalker with the Complete pack is installed and waiting for me.

Neomod

360: Still wading through all of the bargains I got recently. Blur, Assassins Creed 2, Red Faction: Guerilla, Fallout 3, Splosion Man as well as finishing Red Dead and Undead Nightmare.

Got Bad Company 2 for the Vietnam DLC but have been playing the core multiplayer instead. The Nam levels just didn't seem to grab me.

I realise that I just don't have enough time to play these games anymore which is a shame. I think the only game I still play on a regular basis as it's easy to dip in and out of is Battlefield 1943.

Saying that I've been giving Angry Birds a go on PC (it's ok) and have just downloaded Sid Meier's Pirates. Thanks Barbarism for reminding me of a game I loved on both the C64 and Amiga.

bitesize

360: Beyond Good & Evil HD - one of my fave ever games, cracking new conversion. nearing the end now, just getting to the 'point of no return' but have a ton of sidequest stuff to do before i do that. got my eye on getting all the achievements on this one, they all very achieveable.
         Torchlight - which is very basic but fiendishly addictive. constant rewards + stat-management, for the D&D geek in all of us.

PS3: PixelJunk Shooter 2 - it's great, but not as good as the first one i think. it's a lot harder and a lot more hectic, but the sedate pace and puzzly nature was what i particularly liked about the 1st one.
         Dead Space 2 - finished the main game, now on the downloadable extra chapters. awesome.
         Dead Space: Extraction - which came with DS2 as a freebie, haven't even started it yet.
         Uncharted - got bored of this about 3/4 of the way through, might come back and finish it as everyone says the sequel is miles better.

think that's it for now, there's a bunch of unfinished stuff from a while back but if i haven't finished em now i probably won't finish em ever...

Consignia

Quote from: bitesize on March 15, 2011, 02:46:03 PM

Uncharted - got bored of this about 3/4 of the way through, might come back and finish it as everyone says the sequel is miles better.

Uncharted 2 is definitely better, but I'd suggest if you got bored of 1, the sequel isn't a magically different game. Unless there was a single specific element that got on your tits or a few niggles, which are fixed, then I'd steer clear.

chand

Quote from: bitesize on March 15, 2011, 02:46:03 PMPS3: PixelJunk Shooter 2 - it's great, but not as good as the first one i think. it's a lot harder and a lot more hectic, but the sedate pace and puzzly nature was what i particularly liked about the 1st one.

Got to the end and I seem to be unable to play the final level without going back and uncovering a shitload more bits of treasure (40-odd in my case). It didn't tell me they were that important so I didn't make them a priority, now I have to go back and grind levels to finish. Massively annoyed by this.

Velvetfinger

I've just started Dead Space and I'm liking it so far. I also have Just Cause 2, which I was really looking forward to. Unfortunately I can't play it as the Japanese ps3 I own has a different function for the X and O buttons, and with some English-language games it affects the gameplay. There's a similar problem with Red Dead Redemption, which is why I've held off on buying it.

Quote from: chand on March 12, 2011, 10:13:34 PM
At the moment switching between Killzone 3, PES2011 and Pixeljunk Shooter 2 (which is bastard fucking infuriating at times).

How is it? I was a PES fan on the the ps2 (PES5 is my most-played game) but heard it went to shit after number 6.