Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:00:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wot You Playin' At?

Started by Still Not George, March 12, 2011, 09:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaaaaabs

Rift: Planes Of Telara on the PC has me addicted. They have nicked all the best bits from other MMOs and melded them together superbly.

Cambrian Times

I still play Runescape. There is something uniquely satisfying about beating a dragon to death with an Abyssal Whip.

bitesize

Quote from: Consignia on March 15, 2011, 03:13:53 PM
Uncharted 2 is definitely better, but I'd suggest if you got bored of 1, the sequel isn't a magically different game. Unless there was a single specific element that got on your tits or a few niggles, which are fixed, then I'd steer clear.

the combat. the insessant, never-ending combat. really like all the platformy, explorey, puzzle solving bits (basically, the TombRaider bits), but to get to those bits you have to massacre wave after wave after wave of faceless nameless goons. not much particularly wrong with it per se (apart from the fact that headshots don't kill people in one shot) but there's just far too much of it. and it really jars tonally to have all this mass slaughter, then just go back to wisecracking with your companion. so if the sequel gets the balance right, i'm definitely up for it. plus i am enjoying the story, despite (or maybe because of) its cheesy Indiana Jones type style.

Quote from: chand on March 15, 2011, 11:45:37 PM
Got to the end and I seem to be unable to play the final level without going back and uncovering a shitload more bits of treasure (40-odd in my case). It didn't tell me they were that important so I didn't make them a priority, now I have to go back and grind levels to finish. Massively annoyed by this.

i seem to remember they did that in the first one, but i tend to go for any of the gems that i can see so i was only a few short by the time i got to the end, just had to replay a level or 2. plus new levels are unlocked by collecting gems so you must have been picking up a few of em as you went along, just seems that the last level needs massively more gems to unlock it than all the others, for some reason...

chand

Quote from: Velvetfinger on March 16, 2011, 06:38:45 AMHow is it? I was a PES fan on the the ps2 (PES5 is my most-played game) but heard it went to shit after number 6.

2011 is much better than 2008, 9 and 10, best it's been in ages. Didn't really get on with FIFA this year, though the majority will tell you FIFA is better.

chand

Quote from: bitesize on March 16, 2011, 01:04:49 PMi seem to remember they did that in the first one, but i tend to go for any of the gems that i can see so i was only a few short by the time i got to the end, just had to replay a level or 2. plus new levels are unlocked by collecting gems so you must have been picking up a few of em as you went along, just seems that the last level needs massively more gems to unlock it than all the others, for some reason...

Yeah, apparently the last level of each stage is unlocked by the gems, but I'd been collecting what I saw and had obviously done enough not to know this. Now I have to grind a bunch of stages for gems, and they can take fucking ages.

bitesize

^ yeah that's one of the things i don't like about it, levels take ages to do - like 20-30 mins apiece. often i just get a quick 15 mins here + there to play games, so i don't get much of a chance to play PJS cos of that - don't see why they can't just checkpoint after every sub-level bit rather than making you do all 5 in one go...

Consignia

Quote from: bitesize on March 16, 2011, 01:04:49 PM
the combat. the insessant, never-ending combat. really like all the platformy, explorey, puzzle solving bits (basically, the TombRaider bits), but to get to those bits you have to massacre wave after wave after wave of faceless nameless goons. not much particularly wrong with it per se (apart from the fact that headshots don't kill people in one shot) but there's just far too much of it. and it really jars tonally to have all this mass slaughter, then just go back to wisecracking with your companion. so if the sequel gets the balance right, i'm definitely up for it. plus i am enjoying the story, despite (or maybe because of) its cheesy Indiana Jones type style.

I agree with how you feel about that, and there's still a lot of combat in 2. It is a bit sleeker though.

Velvetfinger

Quote from: chand on March 16, 2011, 01:10:02 PM
2011 is much better than 2008, 9 and 10, best it's been in ages. Didn't really get on with FIFA this year, though the majority will tell you FIFA is better.

Great to hear, I'm going to pick up 2011 then. I have FIFA11, the first FIFA I've owned since the early 00s, and to be honest I don't really think much of it. Maybe my expectations were too high after hearing everyone rave about it.

MojoJojo

Got my 360 back on Friday, I spent a couple of hours playing several demos to see what's changed.

Well, I did until I started playing Lara Croft: Guardian of Light. Never played a Tomb Raider game before... but really enjoyed the demo and bought it. Really surprised.

I'm not mad am I ? It is actually a good game?

Consignia

Finished Catherine, now onto Yakuza 4. Already a great improvement on 3, and even a "HAHA RAPE" joke in the first 10 minutes.

Big Jack McBastard

That's Divinity 2 finished and DragonAge 2 has taken it's place, my RPG gland is swollen.

Captain Mildred

Each version of Fight Night has held my attention for a while - but I can see Fight Night: Champion keeping me entertained for many, many months.
Story mode is a cracking idea, the main mode, Legacy, is much improved and online is really enjoyable. The boxing itself is incredibly satisfying once you get into the swing of it.
Not for everyone I know, but it's a corker. The ultimate boxing game (so far).

bitesize

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 21, 2011, 10:31:32 AM
Got my 360 back on Friday, I spent a couple of hours playing several demos to see what's changed.

Well, I did until I started playing Lara Croft: Guardian of Light. Never played a Tomb Raider game before... but really enjoyed the demo and bought it. Really surprised.

I'm not mad am I ? It is actually a good game?

it's a great game! i loved it. it's not at all like any other Tomb Raider mind (which is why it's not got Tomb Raider in the title) so don't go buying all the others up cos you liked this one. they are also great (at least, the recent ones are) but in a totally different way.