Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:44:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Steven Soderbergh Retires From Film-Making

Started by Serge, March 14, 2011, 07:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12731754

Interesting move. Well, I gues he never was the most predictable of directors. It's a shame, though, as, with the possible exception of the 'Oceans' movies, he never seemed to take the easy option, and even some of his failures could be seen to be interesting. He certainly made two of my favourite films of the last twenty years - 'Out Of Sight' and 'The Limey' - but if he feels that he's had enough, then who can blame him? I see he's planning 'a new career in photography or painting', but I hope it isn't too much to hope that maybe he might write again - 'Getting Away With It' was a book I enjoyed very much as well.

It's also a rare move for someone working in films on either side of the camera - both actors and directors seem to be expected to carry on until they die, and the only other recent example I can think of is Gene Hackman retiring (though not telling anyone until several years later!) But there are plenty of examples of people turning out some of their best works in later life - Ken Loach seems to be undergoing a golden patch in recent years - so maybe we can hope that after a break, Soderbergh might decide to change his mind?

Small Man Big Horse

I've always felt a bit let down by Soderbergh, I loved Kafka and King of the Hill (and The Underneath was pretty great too), but he considers those films to be failures[nb]http://www.believermag.com/issues/200608/?read=interview_soderbergh[/nb], whereas pretty much everything he's made since Ocean's 11 has been pretty dull if you ask me. I certainly can't say I'm bothered that he's retiring, now, whereas once I would have been quite disappointed.

CaledonianGonzo

Apropos of a planned trip to Cuba later on this year, I've got a box set of both parts of Che sitting looking at me, though lord knows when I'll actually be in the mood to watch the fucker.  Seems like neither a Friday night movie nor one for a hungover Sunday afternoon.  Maybe I'll watch it one Tuesday morning if I'm off ill.

Santa's Boyfriend

I'd actually say that part 1 is a friday night movie and part 2 is a hungover sunday movie!

Famous Mortimer

I watched "sex, lies and videotape" roundabout when it came out, and although I'm sure there was lots my inexperienced teenage mind didn't grasp, I was fascinated by it. I also liked "Schizopolis", but that may have just been because it was a little odd.

I like the fact he tries stuff, even if it doesn't always work. I can just ignore the Ocean's sequels if they give him the money to make the stuff he wants...well, I can't any more, obviously.

Serge

Apart from the 'Bruce Willis Sequence' and the whole of Catherine Zeta Jones' performance, I quite like 'Oceans Twelve'. I still haven't got around to seeing 'Thirteen' though, even though it does have Al Pacino presumably shouting his way through it. Have I missed anything?

I do remember when I first saw 'Oceans Eleven' that I was convinced that there was no swearing in the film whatsoever and being impressed with it. When I watched it again, I noticed that Elliot Gould says 'Fuck' at one point, and felt slightly less impressed. Still think it's great fun, though 'Out Of Sight' will always be my favourite Soderbergh and Clooney film.

Jake Thingray

His book about, and with, Dick Lester was good, rather touched in a way that when discussing JUGGERNAUT, a 'cool', youngish American film-maker like him could describe it as containing "the definitive Roy Kinnear performance".

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 14, 2011, 07:55:27 PM
Apropos of a planned trip to Cuba later on this year, I've got a box set of both parts of Che sitting looking at me, though lord knows when I'll actually be in the mood to watch the fucker.  Seems like neither a Friday night movie nor one for a hungover Sunday afternoon.  Maybe I'll watch it one Tuesday morning if I'm off ill.

Both underrated I thought, historically very accurate and avoid becoming hagiography due in part to Soderbergh's light touch and Del Toro's subtle performance. Also the guy who plays Fidel is excellant.. Where in Cuba are you going?

CaledonianGonzo

Pretty much going across the island from tip to toe, avoiding Varadero.  But will be in Santa Clara for a night and also spending a night or two in Sierra Maestra, so will be getting myself up to speed on all things Cuban Revolutionary between now and then to add a bit of context.

Will hopefully break out the Che this weekend.  Part 1 on Friday night, Part 2 on Sunday morning!

Santa's Boyfriend

Yay!

(Feel free to watch the map bits at the beginning of each movie on fast forward.  They're unnecessarily drawn out.)

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 15, 2011, 08:47:29 PM
Pretty much going across the island from tip to toe, avoiding Varadero.  But will be in Santa Clara for a night and also spending a night or two in Sierra Maestra, so will be getting myself up to speed on all things Cuban Revolutionary between now and then to add a bit of context.

Will hopefully break out the Che this weekend.  Part 1 on Friday night, Part 2 on Sunday morning!

Varadero is not so bad if you want to hit the beach in the west but on your way to Santa Clara try and visit Trinidad de Cuba, it's paradise. Another film worth watching if your swatting up on the revolution is Soy Cuba (I am Cuba) by Mikhail Kalatozov which is considered a bit of a cinematic masterpiece.

CaledonianGonzo

Yeah - should hopefully be spending a couple of nights in Trinidad (unless its fully booked out, in which case might end up in Sancti Spiritus or somewhere else nearby and just visit on a day trip).  I'm sure Varadero's grand enough, but I'm not really so much of a beach person and will hopefully hit the beach in Baracoa for a day or two which is probably more than enough.

But, yes, have also been meaning to track down Soy Cuba - maybe Fresa y Chocolate as well.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Serge on March 15, 2011, 05:04:49 PM
Apart from the 'Bruce Willis Sequence' and the whole of Catherine Zeta Jones' performance, I quite like 'Oceans Twelve'. I still haven't got around to seeing 'Thirteen' though, even though it does have Al Pacino presumably shouting his way through it. Have I missed anything?

Actually as far as I'm remember Al is pretty quiet through the whole thing, maybe doesn't even shout at all! You're not really missing anything by not watching Ocean's Thirteen (aside from Ellen Barkin looking astoundingly good for 50+x, or for any age for that matter), but I thought it was fun.

Funcrusher

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 16, 2011, 12:42:18 PM
Yeah - should hopefully be spending a couple of nights in Trinidad (unless its fully booked out, in which case might end up in Sancti Spiritus or somewhere else nearby and just visit on a day trip).  I'm sure Varadero's grand enough, but I'm not really so much of a beach person and will hopefully hit the beach in Baracoa for a day or two which is probably more than enough.

But, yes, have also been meaning to track down Soy Cuba - maybe Fresa y Chocolate as well.

Trinidad's lovely. 'Fresa y Chocolate' is an enjoyable watch, although it does look at bit of its time now (the 80's). Memories of Underdevelopment by the same director is also good.

copylight

If all you've got to watch on Japanese terrestrial TV are gormless fucks expressing their mouthgasms every fucking show[nb]Japanese tv is all about food, ad infinitum[/nb], then the oceans films are an enjoyable release (...). Regardless, they're not bad at all actually. There I said it, and the haters can go watch some Fuji-TV prime time, or consume their own ventricular.

Lord Mandrake

The thing about the Oceans films for me is Don Cheadle, I just cannot live with that accent.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Funcrusher on March 19, 2011, 12:13:24 PM
Trinidad's lovely. 'Fresa y Chocolate' is an enjoyable watch, although it does look at bit of its time now (the 80's). Memories of Underdevelopment by the same director is also good.

Managed to buy this from the good folk at Mr Bongos, which also includes Memories of Underdevelopment and Lucia as well as Soy Cuba and Fresa y Chocolate.  A snip at £15 for the 4.

http://www.buymrbongo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=226&language=en&osCsid=0e

Too excited about this trip.  Should probably stop listening to Celia Cruz or I'll get sick of her before November.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 14, 2011, 07:41:20 PM
I've always felt a bit let down by Soderbergh, I loved Kafka and King of the Hill (and The Underneath was pretty great too), but he considers those films to be failures[nb]http://www.believermag.com/issues/200608/?read=interview_soderbergh[/nb], whereas pretty much everything he's made since Ocean's 11 has been pretty dull if you ask me. I certainly can't say I'm bothered that he's retiring, now, whereas once I would have been quite disappointed.

LOL. You liked King of the Hill?! It's rubbish. He said about The Underneath that it was verrrrry slow, and I cant argue. Solaris and Full Frontal ftw.

Quote from: Serge on March 15, 2011, 05:04:49 PM

Yeah, add Ocean's 13 to my above choices. This is 1 of the best films ever made, no joke. The 1st one and the 3rd are pretty much what you'd expect, insubstantial.

Just to add, I'm glad. Gives me a chance to catch up.

Incandenza

Soderbergh's Solaris is a better film than Tarkovsky's.
And I love Tarkovsky.

Bracing myself for the shit storm coming my way as a result of that statement.
Ready to back it up.

Out of Sight a classy little film that no one seems to remember, and Traffic is fucking mint.
Not arsed about the Oceans films but I can sit through Erin Brockovich quite happily. He excels at the sort of intelligent, glossy Hollywood stuff that used to make so well.

Serge

I've not seen either 'Solaris', so I can't comment.

I know what you mean about 'Out Of Sight' being little remembered. Although it's often seen as the point where he made his commercial comeback, possibly because it was the first film he made with Clooney who was just starting to make his own cinema breakthrough at that point, I'm pretty sure it flopped at the cinema and has become one of those word-of-mouth sensations since. I certainly don't know anybody who's seen it who doesn't like it.
Also has David Holmes' finest soundtrack (which manages to use my two favourite Isley Brothers songs!)

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Serge on March 31, 2011, 01:42:39 PM
I know what you mean about 'Out Of Sight' being little remembered. Although it's often seen as the point where he made his commercial comeback, possibly because it was the first film he made with Clooney who was just starting to make his own cinema breakthrough at that point, I'm pretty sure it flopped at the cinema and has become one of those word-of-mouth sensations since. I certainly don't know anybody who's seen it who doesn't like it.

It wasn't a massive flop, making $77 mil worldwide, but it wasn't considered a huge success. Though the critics loved it, I remember Empire getting really overexcited by it all. Though for once they were right to, as I think it's a great movie as well.

I didn't realise that there was a tv spin off - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Sisco - has anyone ever seen it, and if so, is it any good?

CaledonianGonzo

I caught an episode or two when I was living Stateside, but don't remember being especially wowed by it.  Though I do like Carla Gugino.

As for Out of Sight being forgotten about, isn't it regarded de facto the movie that revived G. Clooney's movie career and more-or-less the only reason for Jennifer Lopez.  It certainly crops us regularly on lists of 'best ever movie love scenes' for both the bit in the hotel and for the bit in the boot of the car.

In a roundabout way it also resulted in Elvis finally nudging ahead of The Beatles in terms of UK #1 singles.

Serge

Jennifer Lopez was also pretty good in the similarly underrated 'Blood And Wine', but both that and 'Out Of Sight' were from before she became 'J-Lo: The Brand'

Surely the Elvis song you're thinking about was in 'Oceans 11'? Unless you're taking the long view that 'Out Of Sight' led to 'Oceans', etc, etc.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 31, 2011, 03:27:47 PM
I didn't realise that there was a tv spin off - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Sisco - has anyone ever seen it, and if so, is it any good?

It was on ITV late nights on Fridays about five years after it was cancelled, as those things use to tend to be, and I thought it was pretty good the couple of times I saw it, but then I'm a sucker for the Leonard style