Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:14:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oddworld and games that capture the imagination

Started by madhair60, March 17, 2011, 12:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

I love Oddworld, particularly the first two games.

Abe's Oddysee and its sequel/expansion Abe's Exoddus are two of my all-time favourites.  Flick-screen, one step at a time platform games ala Prince of Persia, but with a gorgeous, haunting atmosphere thanks to fantastic pre-rendered backgrounds, amazing sound design and a constantly surprising and imaginative bestiary of outrageous creature designs.

These two games really grabbed me with their interesting and seemingly fully-formed universe, prompting me to fill about 70 sheets of A4 paper (both sides) with my own level designs, seperated into grids as in the original games.  I loved this universe and soaked up all the info I could, my anticipation for the then PS2-bound Munch's Oddysee (which I am still yet to properly play) reaching critical mass.  When it eventually hit Xbox I was disappointed; I had no plans whatsoever to pick one up, and the game itself received middling reviews.  Additionally, the announced RTS "Hand of Odd" disappeared without a trace.  The later, and final Oddworld title (to date) Stranger's Wrath received a much better reception, but I had no way of playing it until this week when I picked up the Oddboxx on Steam (£9.99 for all 4 games, or £2.99 for both Abe games, which is massively worth it).  So far it successfully captures that Oddworld intrigue and style.

Anyone else love these games?  Or got any other series that just completely immersed you?

Consignia

I love the Abe games. Brilliant puzzle platformers, if a little difficult in places.

I too greatly anticpated Munch's Oddysee, but when I got around to playing it many moons later, I found it rather disappointing, and didn't play too far into it.

I've not played Stranger's wrath, despite it's great acclaim.

bitesize

yes, these games are great - tho i think i've spent more time watching my wife play them than actually playing them myself. just love the whole world they've created. so disappointed when i heard the developers weren't gonna make any more Oddworld games, but glad they're at least doing some new versions - i hear there's gonna be a Stranger's Wrath HD re-release on PSN soon, which i'm definitely gonna pick up. here's hoping for console re-releases for the earlier games like they have on Steam.

madhair60

Oddysee and Exoddus are both on the PSN, and I hear that an Oddysee re-make is on the way.

The PC version of Stranger's Wrath is bugged to fuckery for ATI card users, but they're going to be replacing it with the PS3 HD version when it's released, so hopefully that'll fix it.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Only played Stranger's Wrath, which I thought was a cool, characterful take on the FPS genre. Really nice graphics for the time as well. The Oddboxx looks like a good deal, I'll have to check it out.

pk1yen

I'm a bit obsessed with a Pokemon prequel.

There was something wonderfully haunting about the first game - utopian, but there was something wrong - lack of father figures - then there was the casual mention of a Pokemon war.

This picture sums it up better than I can:

Mister Six

A.A

I play Grim Fandango every year because of how intoxicating I find the game's world and the skeletons/demons/crazy-ass-hotrods that inhabit it.

No, the game's not perfect, particularly control-wise. But fuck the controls, man. The game's just so goddamn beautiful.

madhair60

The controls mean I simply cannot get into Grim Fandango.  That and I can't get it to install on Win x64

Mark Green

I freaking love the first two Oddworld games, I've played through them more times than I have any other game. There's just so much love put into them; the level design, the beautiful backgrounds, the sounds, the characters, the humour.

I do have a love/hate feeling towards fleeches, they made some levels bloody exciting but god they could be annoying.

I'm very tempted to have a go at Stranger's Wrath to see how the Oddworld universe works in an FPS, but I'm a bit worried since I've got an loser ATI card.

Edit: Also quite looking forward to this HD Oddysee remake.

madhair60

I play Stranger's with an ATI, and while there are graphical glitches they don't take me out of the game.