Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:59:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jet Harris RIP

Started by 2 Light Ales Please, March 18, 2011, 06:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 Light Ales Please

The former Shadows bassist has slunk off his mortal coil.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12790789

Not a huge fan myself, but he was one of the pioneers of British pop.  According to the BBC's website: "Harris is reputed to be one of the first musicians in the UK to play the bass guitar in the UK". Awful phrasing aside, it's a shame[nb]although he was 71, so it's hardly surprising[/nb] even if, like me, you're not really into the Shadows.  Three musicians in a week eh, seems like something of a record.

Jemble Fred

71? How is that not surprising? Jesus, most of us won't even retire until that age.

RIP bass player from The Shadows.

Lfbarfe

First bass player with the first proper British rock and roll band. Some say best, although I think the band went on to greater heights with John Rostill on bass, personally, but Jet was in the band when it was the most important pop outfit in the land, and he did the solo on Nivram, which is reputedly the first electric bass solo on record. Sad news and, yes, 71's no age, but then 2 Light Ales Please is 8 years old, so cut him some slack. He'll learn, I hope.

Jake Thingray

Afraid my chum stitt remembered seeing him around Gloucestershire, indistinguishable from other aged alcoholics. The tabloids will probably have a field day (well, those whose readership would remember him) over the tensions in his marriage allegedly involving the saintly Sir Cliff, a very different character in every respect. Apparently, the original idea for the charmingly cheesy film THE YOUNG ONES was that the Shadows would have major acting roles as well, a major rewrite that turned the parts into merely Cliff's gang gave Harris' intended role to, of all people, Melvyn Hayes (that's why Hayes' hair was dyed blond in it). Also afraid that I recall Harris advertising his services in the directory at the back of THE STAGE, with the line "no longer a shadow of his former self!"

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

No wonder you write obituaries for a living, Jake, you're an absolute master of tact.

Anyway, here's a nice bit of 'arris (and Meehan, natch).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAUOnTaa_TE

Lfbarfe

Quote from: Jake Thingray on March 18, 2011, 08:25:14 PM
Afraid my chum stitt

For some reason, I see the pair of you as Tom Fun and Derek.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 18, 2011, 08:32:19 PM
No wonder you write obituaries for a living, Jake, you're an absolute master of tact.

Exactly what have I done now to piss you off? It wasn't deliberate.

2 Light Ales Please

71's young these days? I always thought you were on borrowed time after 65.

Lfbarfe

You're on borrowed time already, matey.

Quote from: Jake Thingray on March 18, 2011, 09:29:10 PM
Exactly what have I done now to piss you off? It wasn't deliberate.

Pissed off? Hardly. I'd say I was more wearily irked by your predictability. Read your post back and see how its eagerly gossipy tone might strike some as a tad distasteful.

Also, I'm sure you're sincere when you say you don't mean it. But you obviously just can't help yourself.   

derek stitt

Quote from: Lfbarfe on March 18, 2011, 09:24:29 PM
For some reason, I see the pair of you as Tom Fun and Derek.

A very scary but accurate description.

Baggsy Derek though. Don't like the idea of being bummed by a monkey in a glass cage while the singing of  Hank Mizell drowns out my
hapless yet seemingly eternal paternal feelings for a useless little cunt. Just too real.

Is it Giro day?

more importantly R.I.P Jet Harris

Jet Harris - 'The Man With The Golden Arm'

fantastic stuff

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 19, 2011, 09:40:51 AM
Pissed off? Hardly. I'd say I was more wearily irked by your predictability. Read your post back and see how its eagerly gossipy tone might strike some as a tad distasteful.

Also, I'm sure you're sincere when you say you don't mean it. But you obviously just can't help yourself.   

Can you please explain why, over on the Comic Relief thread, no comment like yours above was made about the posts concerning betting on which of the Beatles will die last?

As I've said before -- once a Whomophobe, never forgiven by certain people.

23 Daves

"Diamonds" and "Applejack" are both brilliant sixties singles, seldom referenced these days it seems - I own both having purchased them for loose change from a local second hand shop, and they've given me a massive amount of pleasure over the last couple of years.  So, whilst I'm not a fan as such, I did find this news rather sad.  He was known for having a lot of problems with alcohol which completely buggered his career for awhile, but by all accounts his life was very much back on track until the dreaded 'c' word. 

Lfbarfe

He was doing plenty of 60s revival shows and appearing at the many Shadows fan conventions, so yes, he'd found a decent niche at long last.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Jake Thingray on March 19, 2011, 02:34:21 PM
Can you please explain why, over on the Comic Relief thread, no comment like yours above was made about the posts concerning betting on which of the Beatles will die last?

Any posts I made on that subject were done with a great deal of heartfelt affection towards Macca - I love the man like a father, and the sight of him with zilch comic timing was cause for a moment of reflection rather than one of macabre zest.

CaledonianGonzo

Did Harris play on Scotch On The Socks?  It's ace:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpOACc3Nxu0

Lfbarfe

No, that was John Rostill, who was, for my money, the best bass player the Shadows ever had.

Quote from: Jake Thingray on March 19, 2011, 02:34:21 PM

As I've said before -- once a Whomophobe, never forgiven by certain people.

Jake, you're a 40-year-old man. Grow up, for Christ's sake.

Jake Thingray

Coming from a grown man who takes Doctor Who and geek stuff seriously, that really is a prime case of pots and kettles. And like your chums who sneer at me, you keep dodging the question -- why do you get so defensive over the accusation that "the show" is silly, irrelevant and for children? Perhaps, deep down you know it's true.

FUCK OFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Serge

By the way, Jake, mycroft doesn't do all of the 'Jake Thingray mentions Doctor Who' tags, he just did the initial one. I tagged the THREE unrelated threads you mentioned it in yesterday as I was bored. I don't get the significance of the reference in your tag despite googling the name, but it looks like you're being as childish as I was yesterday....

EDIT: Ah, Boston, why did you change your post? I quite liked the original, especially after glancing at your 'stoic hound' quote afterwards!

Quote from: Jake Thingray on March 20, 2011, 03:32:58 PM
Coming from a grown man who takes Doctor Who and geek stuff seriously, that really is a prime case of pots and kettles. And like your chums who sneer at me, you keep dodging the question -- why do you get so defensive over the accusation that "the show" is silly, irrelevant and for children? Perhaps, deep down you know it's true.

EDIT: Sod it. Arguing with Jake is utterly pointless, as he is hopelessly immune to reason and perspective. It's like yodelling into a bucket and hoping for gold.

Jake, in all seriousness, you're obviously a very unhappy man, and - take it from me - the best thing you can do is to seek professional help. I'm not taking the piss. Really, just talk to someone. Continually reinforcing your embitterment and self-loathing is absolutely the worst thing for you.

It's lovely that the death of Jet Harris has brought us all together like this, isn't it? It's what he would've wanted.