Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:54:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Battle of the the's: Thing or Happening

Started by the midnight watch baboon, March 19, 2011, 08:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the midnight watch baboon

So! When I get home from work should I watch the Happening which looks entertaining in a bad=fun way, or should I watch the Thing, which I know many people love but I have never seen. Or should I play Scrabble on facebook and wait for life to happen.

El Unicornio, mang

The Thing is perfect Saturday night viewing. do it.

Thanks! Sorted. Night watch half tonight and the rest after tomorrow night's shift as I get sleepy at midnights.

Santa's Boyfriend

The Thing is an infinitely superior film, The Happening should never be watched without the Rifftrax commentary attached as it's simply too painful.

The Happening's trailers for its showing on 4 tonight were tempting me to watch it for reasons I can't quite come to grips with! Just looked a misguided attempt at a film which somehow got through several green lights.

gmoney

The Thing scared my friend so much when she was a kid that when she moved in with her boyfriend, she made him take it off the DVD shelf because she didn't want to have to look at the DVD case when she walked past.

:O two heads! Normal set of organs though.

Harpo Speaks

I watched The Happening. There's actually some effective scenes, and I think you could make a good film with this concept, but this isn't it.

The Thing on the other hand is great.

I hope I'm not The Thing. I have shot my dog just in case.

small_world

Hmm. I never thought of this until reading this thread. What if The Happening was a troll? I mean, it couldn't have been a real attempt at a movie could it?

Oh, and my girlfriends review of The Happening "It's not happening". Although she wasn't too keen on The Thing either[nb]Or she may have said, "The Thing is."[/nb].

SavageHedgehog

Quite frankly I would say The Happening is the best of the film Shyamalan's has made post-Signs (yes, yes, I know) but that's more of a damning indictement of his stratospheric fall than anything

rudi

I'm waiting for the sequel: "You've got another Thing coming..."

I managed to stay awake and watch it all in one go, and enjoyable fayre it was too. Think tonight I shall watch "The Straight Story". Or "Atonement". Basically I need to clear my V box so I can record other things onto it.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: small_world on March 19, 2011, 11:30:15 PM
Hmm. I never thought of this until reading this thread. What if The Happening was a troll? I mean, it couldn't have been a real attempt at a movie could it?

I have actually seen people suggesting this before, using that 'You deserve this' billboard as a tentpole for their case.

As I said above, there are some effective scenes
Spoiler alert
e.g the people falling from the buildings at the start for example. But these are counterbalanced by ones such as the chase sequence in which a group of people attempt to outrun the wind, or Mark Wahlberg talking to a plastic houseplant.
[close]
There's also a ridiculous overuse of CU shots, and the least said about the dialogue the better - 'there appears to be an event happening'.

SavageHedgehog

I think Shyamalan described it a "deliberately campy" B-movie in the style of Irwin Allen or soemthing, which doesn't quite ring true for the film as a whole.

I genuinely liked Signs after not falling for T'Sixth Sense, Signs seemed to be lighter in tone and not as poe faced as something featuring a religious fellow losing his faith could have been. Even The Village carried a dollop of unnervingness. Well, a slightly creepy wolf-rabbit costume anyway. I have been warner off Lady in the Water though I'd still like to see Paul Giamatti larking around with a mermaid, who wouldn't?!

Monkeyman1138

At the risk of being ridiculed, I quite enjoyed Lady in the Water, bar the Shyamalan-as-messiah and critics-are-shits stuff.

small_world

Village and Signs, had a few good bits.
Something he does extremely well is the long shock thing. In Signs it the alien seen in the knife under the door. In a usual horror, you'll get a shock that'll last for a second, but it's drawn out here.
Same as The Village, there a re a few similar drawn out shock bits in that. Although it's been ages since I've seen it.

Lady in the Water lacked a lot of that, and he had loads of chances to put something like that in...

I don't know, I sometimes wish someone would just take control of him, shake the good ideas out and put back in a lot of the fairytale/twee but creepy ideas that overwhelm most of his stuff.

lazyhour

Watched The Happening the other day. It is a stunning piece of work. Really and truly, everyone should see it.

For all its 'how on earth did this get made'-ness, it does succeed in being unrelentingly bleak and gruesome, which is a giggle. It's also fun to watch Zooey Deschanel dream her way through the whole film and deliver every one of her lines unconvincingly.