Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:06:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who here hasn't seen Four Lions and why?

Started by An tSaoi, March 22, 2011, 05:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An tSaoi

On most fansites they snap up an artist's work the very second it's released, but CaB is slightly different. I recall the announcement and development of Four Lions being met with some enthusiasm and excitement, but also a lot of indifference, because "Monkey Dust already did it" and "he's been shit for the last ten years" and the fact that it wasn't a radio show. So it struck me that there must be a sizeable number of people on a Chris Morris site who haven't seen un film de Chris Morris. Are you one of them?

Also, it might be interesting to discuss what it's like when fans of an artist get a bit fed up of them. For example, a quick look any Star Wars site and you'll see how much they passionately hate George Lucas, the man who created the bloody thing of which they're a fan in the first place.

An tSaoi

You should really check it out; it's nothing like NB. That's like refusing to watch The Thick of It because of Time Trumpet.

Tiny Poster

Yeah, but you'd have no idea how different TTOI was from Time Trumpet unless you actually watched it. Capisce?

small_world

I only saw it after being on here for a few months.
And then I loved it.
I still do, and I make random strangers watch it too.

madhair60

Me.  Don't think I'll get much out of it.  Too close to the issue.  Plus, not a huuuuge fan of Morris, if I'm honest.

Serge

I've still not seen it, but then I've got DVDs I bought five years ago that are still unwatched, so I'll get around to it in my own time. I nearly picked it up in HMV recently, but 'Man On Wire' was a pound cheaper and I really wanted to see that again, so, er, there you go. Though I still haven't got around to watching 'Man On Wire' again yet either.

Part of the reason I haven't seen it is that I've been going through a couple of years of being incredibly broke, so going to the cinema was one of the things that was largely knocked on the head. That will hopefully resolve itself soon, but to take another example, my favourite director currently working is David Fincher, and I still haven't seen his last two films yet. I think it's only with music that I have the feeling of wanting to experience something as soon as possible.

massive bereavement

I can't go to places where there are people, so seeing it at the cinema was out of the question. I wasn't excited enough by the trailer to want to buy the DVD but I'll certainly watch it on TV if I know it's on. Has it been on TV yet? I didn't see Nathan Barley until 2009 but really enjoyed it, probably helped that I had such low expectations after seeing the reviews on here. Have the feeling I'm going to be disappointed with Four Lions though.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: massive bereavement on March 23, 2011, 12:23:17 AM
I can't go to places where there are people, so seeing it at the cinema was out of the question. I wasn't excited enough by the trailer to want to buy the DVD but I'll certainly watch it on TV if I know it's on. Has it been on TV yet? I didn't see Nathan Barley until 2009 but really enjoyed it, probably helped that I had such low expectations after seeing the reviews on here. Have the feeling I'm going to be disappointed with Four Lions though.

I only just got round to watching Nathan Barley last week when I picked it up for a fiver. Aside from a few annoyances ("Dan reacts", potentially great bits petering out, the funniest characters underused - Jonatton Yeah? deserves a whole series of his own!), I really enjoyed it too and watched the lot in one sitting. As for Four Lions, I haven't actually watched it since the gala showing in Nottingham with Chris Morris himself and I've only just bought it on DVD. Despite a story that doesn't seem entirely coherent to me, it's got enough great distinctively Morris lines and moments to make it well worth watching, which I'm going to do this weekend, oh yes.

That reminds me, I haven't watched My Wrongs since it came out........................

Serge

Finally picked up a copy of 'Four Lions' today, so should get around to watching it sometime in the next five years....

I still haven't seen it, despite friends telling me how great it is - I read somewhere that Morris had made it 'completely fatwa-proof' or something.  Obviously that's totally understandable, but I think his best work is when he's sailing close to the wind.  I'll watch it when it comes on TV though.

CollaterlySisters

£3 DVD in HMV sale. Heaps of copies. If finance is a barrier.

HappyTree

Sorry, just my opinion, no offence, I love most of Chris Morris's stuff.

But

I began watching Four Lions in the summer and couldn't last to the end. I gave it my best shot but kept on getting bored. It took me about 4 sessions to get to around the 50-minute mark and I haven't been back since.

But that might be because I wasn't in the mood. I'm keeping it resolutely in the hope that at some point in the future I will start from the beginning again and at least be interested enough to watch the whole thing. But for now I just don't find it funny and the characters don't engage me.

El Unicornio, mang

It's definitely my least favourite Morris work. Thought it was decent, but wasn't massively impressed.

Johnny Textface

PaulTMA

Quote from: HappyTree on December 28, 2011, 06:36:58 AM

I began watching Four Lions in the summer and couldn't last to the end. I gave it my best shot but kept on getting bored. It took me about 4 sessions to get to around the 50-minute mark and I haven't been back since.

But that might be because I wasn't in the mood.

Naah, more likely bcause it's just....silly.  I haven't made it to the end either, I've fallen asleep both times I've tried to get through it.

rudi

Glebe

Saw it in the cinema, just picked it up on Blu-ray the other day.

alan nagsworth

People who are deterred by unimpressed first viewings might take some comfort in the fact that I was hugely disappointed with it at the cinema, but have seen it about three times since and loved it more and more with each view. It's a wonderfully understated bit of absurdist silliness, perfect film format. Ace.

Cambrian Times

I haven't seen it yet. Always seem to be working when it's on.

Cheesewogg

I've seen it and enjoyed it under the mission statement released a few years ago that it was kind of how a jihadist Dad's Army would be done... but I have my reservations about  the "Official Version of Events" of 7/7 and Four Lions half backs uP my so called tinfoil hat beliefs while also lending credence to the official line... I'm no David Icke nut, I just think the truth of it has been shat on a lot.

I saw it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. It had some crackin' lines but it took me a while to actually start laughing. I didn't laugh constantly, but when I did, they were loud, big, unapologetic, belly-laughs. So really, I thought it was a clever and darkly funny film.
It was just a comedy I really appreciated.

Hank Venture

I haven't seen it, but then again I don't think I've seen or heard any of his work.

Inaniloquent

QuoteSo it struck me that there must be a sizeable number of people on a Chris Morris site who haven't seen un film de Chris Morris. Are you one of them?

I'm a total oddity; I stumbled here via a Google result leading to a random thread. I have never seen any Chris Morris at all.

Serge

Quote from: Serge on March 26, 2011, 05:47:58 PMFinally picked up a copy of 'Four Lions' today, so should get around to watching it sometime in the next five years....

Well, I finally got around to it this evening, a mere 18 months after I bought it.

Very good, isn't it?[nb]I can't add anything that hasn't probably already been said in any other thread, except that the heimlich maneuver gag nearly made me sick with laughing.[/nb]

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: An tSaoi on March 22, 2011, 06:52:17 PM
You should really check it out; it's nothing like NB. That's like refusing to watch The Thick of It because of Time Trumpet.

What's wrong with Time Trumpet?

Serge

Good luck getting to response to that question, as An tSaoi is sadly no longer on these boards. Unless you're him coming back under a different name and trying to get all Post Modern on us.