Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:20:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Killing Bono

Started by Icehaven, March 24, 2011, 08:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Just saw a trailer for this, seems to be a comedy about childhood friends of Bono who didn't get famous or something. Any idea if it's meant to be any good? It certainly wins the Bafta for film title most likely to appeal to the largest possible demographic. 

Johnny Townmouse

I thought this was a Negativland project....

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I saw a split second of some youths on a bus going "wooo we're going to watch U2, this is fockern RAAAAADDDDD" and thought "Nope. Noeynoeythanks-thanks."

Ignatius_S

Quote from: icehaven on March 24, 2011, 08:14:48 PM
Just saw a trailer for this, seems to be a comedy about childhood friends of Bono who didn't get famous or something. Any idea if it's meant to be any good? It certainly wins the Bafta for film title most likely to appeal to the largest possible demographic.

I'll stick my neck out and say that they chose at name because the film is an adapted from Neil McCormick's book, Killing Bono: I Was Bono's Doppelganger.

The book is about his experiences trying to make it in the music business - came out a few years back and was well-received.

On the BBC tribute to Pete Postlethwaite, they had some footage on set as this was this last film he appeared on - looked like the production values are good (as does the cast), but it's going to have to leave an awful lot of book.

Icehaven

Ah, so he wins the Booker prize for book title most likely to appeal to the largest possible demographic.

Ignatius_S

To be fair, as title it's meant works well - I haven't read it but it was warmly recommended to me the 'killing Bono' aspect is to do with what Bono said to him; to succeed you're going to have to kill me. The bit about being a doppelganger is that they're exactly from the same background, know each other form a band etc.

In some ways though, it's a little unfortunate because it perhaps makes it sound like the U2 connection is milked for all its worth (put me right off anyway), when it's not. Basically, it's a nice slice of social history and a great look at someone trying to make it in the business but failing.

Icehaven

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 24, 2011, 11:31:01 PM
Basically, it's a nice slice of social history and a great look at someone trying to make it in the business but failing.

That sounds like my kind of thing, I shall see it.