Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:49:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

The return of an old classic thread. Tell yer upcoming and just-come-back-from gig stories!

I went to see Josh T Pearson last night in Sheffield, at the awesomest 70s working mens' club function room. Solo, acoustic, and a room full of Sheffield's premier hipsters silent - well, mostly, there were a gang of blokes in the corner chuckling at their own jokes. But it was the quietest gig I've been to in ages, and with Pearson trying not to tell jokes (the songs are fairly serious) but slipping the odd comedy aside in between songs.

CaledonianGonzo

Saw balladeering beardface John Grant in Edinburgh's Liquid Room on Wednesday night, and very good it was too, though ultimately I'd prefer to see him with a full band than just the two keyboard set-up he appears to deploy when playing the UK at the moment.  If he brings Midlake with him to Glastonbury I'll be there with pink dye in my hair.

Though wet-willies and wedgies to whoever decided to make it an all seated gig.  Fshaw.

Support act Sea of Bees came across like a cross between Josie Long and a guitar-strumming Joanna Newsom - I liked her.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Killing Joke next week in Nottingham. My mate is a big fan, I could never quite get into them until their most recent album Absolute Dissent, which fuckin blasts. Been checking out their earlier stuff too, which now makes a lot more sense, so I'm really looking forward to it. Then there's Atari Teenage Riot in May, they were amazing last year, so full of anger and energy, so that should be good as well.

Johnny Townmouse

It's looking pretty quiet on the gig front, but I will try my best to check out Big Sexy Noise at Ray Davies' Meltdown in June.

BSN is essentially Gallon Drunk fronted by Lydia Lunch, for those that don't know.

Spiteface

Next couple of gigs I'm going to are the Manic Street Preachers at the Cardiff Motorpoint Arena (formerly Cardiff International Arena) in May.  I'm surprised for a Manics gig in Wales that it is not sold out yet.  Should still be great, because I have never seen a crap Manics gig.  Hoping for a slightly different set from Newport last year, although I suspect that for a larger venue like this it will be heavy on the hits.  Perhaps it's a bit much to ask for "Archives of Pain" or "The Intense Humming of Evil" though.  Even some Lifeblood tracks would be good - they seem to have disowned that one in live sets of late.

After that it's Public Image Limited at the Millennium Music Hall in Cardiff.  I only own the first two albums and a best of, but I'm really looking forward to this, if only because the PIL gigs are largely funded by the butter ads that people took the piss out of John Lydon for doing.  I know it's only him from the original line-up remaining, but I've seen clips of the Coachella show they did a while back and they sounded excellent.

I'm also toying with going to see Mono in London in June as well, they're bringing an orchestra with them as well - same guys from the "Holy Ground" CD/DVD.  Depends if I can make it happen for the right price...

Captain Crunch

Best gig so far this year has been Black Angels at Heaven, that band just get better and better.

Upcoming I've got KYUSS on Friday, Earth the following Sunday then much later on Eyehategod and The Groundhogs back in Bristol.  Probably most excited about the KYUSS one as they were so brilliant last time. 

Are there any good gigs in Manchester or the surrounding area next week?  I'm on a course and could use something to break up the week.  Anything interesting, it doesn't have to be metal.

Ta.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Captain Crunch on March 26, 2011, 11:32:03 AM

Are there any good gigs in Manchester or the surrounding area next week?  I'm on a course and could use something to break up the week.  Anything interesting, it doesn't have to be metal.

Ta.

Check out The Deaf Institute, which is the best venue in the city.
http://www.thedeafinstitute.co.uk/calendar.php

Earth are playing Islington Mill next Saturday and Ducktails are playing Ruby Lounge (which , to be honest isn't that great a place to watch a band) on Thursday.

The main gig promoters in Manchester are
http://www.heymanchester.com/
although they mostly put indie types on.

Famous Mortimer

Ah shit, Earth are touring? Would anyone like to give me a better job so I can afford this stuff?

BlodwynPig

Oneohtrix Point Never at Queen Elizabeth Hall in April. A recent barrage of gigs in the North East has reinvigorated my live excursions, Goblin, Anathema, and Iron & Wine (a free ticket and I had never heard them before, but pleasantly surprised despite being "not my thing")

Devin Townsend was awesome last night.  That is all.  As you were.

BRen

Quote from: Spiteface on March 25, 2011, 07:35:19 PMAfter that it's Public Image Limited at the Millennium Music Hall in Cardiff.  I only own the first two albums and a best of, but I'm really looking forward to this, if only because the PIL gigs are largely funded by the butter ads that people took the piss out of John Lydon for doing.  I know it's only him from the original line-up remaining, but I've seen clips of the Coachella show they did a while back and they sounded excellent.

It's quite amusing that Keith Levene and Jah Wobble from the original PIL lineup actually perform as Public Image with a Lydon look (and sound) alike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU7CsitljeU

Doomy Dwyer

^ That's rather hilarious. I'll bet John's happy about that. Have you got any more details about their reunion? Was it purely to piss Lydon off? That's very good indeed.

Johnny Townmouse

I was finding that clip really depressing up until the point where the guy starting singing. Fucking hell, I know he is essentially doing Stars in their Eyes, but he's fucking good. I think I would take that line-up over Lydon's PiL.

CaledonianGonzo

Yo La Tengo have just announced a short UK tour.  Even better, it looks like (in Edinburgh, at least, according to the promoters) they're doing the Wheel of Fortune show:

http://www.yolatengo.com/news/november-3-2010/

Also, as Metro reminded me this morning, it's a mere two weeks until I go to see Seun Kuti & Egypt 80.  Need to check out his new album.

Famous Mortimer

Leeds is as close to me as they're getting. Shall I go?

Serge

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 31, 2011, 09:38:48 AMAlso, as Metro reminded me this morning, it's a mere two weeks until I go to see Seun Kuti & Egypt 80.  Need to check out his new album.

Quite a good article in the new Mojo about Seun and Femi Kuti. Although I'm a big fan of their dad, I've never dipped a toe in either of their back catalogues so far - though I've heard Seun raved about more than Femi. Any recommendations where I could start with either?

CaledonianGonzo

Hmmmm...both are very much working in the shadows of their daddy, but until next week Seun only has one album available - Many Things - and it's a cracker so that's where I'd start.  He seems a lot more - I dunno -  fiery than Femi, who I also like and who's heart is definitely in the right place, but all told is a bit smoother and just doesn't really grab me by the scruff of the lapels.  At least, on record - he's brilliant live and well worth catching with his full afrobeat orchestra.

Though Seun's new one is produced by Brian Eno so gawd knows what it'll sound like.

NoSleep

The Brothers Unconnected - the surviving two members of Sun City Girls (Alan & Sir Richard Bishop) are playing some dates in the UK in May.

Alan Bishop, together with Hisham Mayet are DJing together during the same period, on a short Sublime Frequencies tour, which is headlined by Group Doueh.

CaledonianGonzo

QuoteAlan Bishop, together with Hisham Mayet are DJing together during the same period, on a short Sublime Frequencies tour, which is headlined by Group Doueh.

Sadly not coming to Scotland...  :-(

dmillburn

Quote from: Spiteface on March 25, 2011, 07:35:19 PM
I'm also toying with going to see Mono in London in June as well, they're bringing an orchestra with them as well - same guys from the "Holy Ground" CD/DVD.  Depends if I can make it happen for the right price...

Really tempted by this too - only question is whether I can make it down to London in time after work. I've not been down to Camden for a gig for a few years now and I've been told that a lot of the street parking I used to use (Hawley Road/Havely St way) has gone and I might find it tricky to find a space these days, anyone know if that's the case?

Hot Pants

Quote from: dmillburn on March 31, 2011, 12:53:50 PM
Really tempted by this too - only question is whether I can make it down to London in time after work. I've not been down to Camden for a gig for a few years now and I've been told that a lot of the street parking I used to use (Hawley Road/Havely St way) has gone and I might find it tricky to find a space these days, anyone know if that's the case?
free spaces opposite the roundhouse, evenings..
and usually, if you turn left right before chalk farm station and go up there are space around and behind that area...

Waking Life

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 31, 2011, 09:38:48 AM
Yo La Tengo have just announced a short UK tour.  Even better, it looks like (in Edinburgh, at least, according to the promoters) they're doing the Wheel of Fortune show:

http://www.yolatengo.com/news/november-3-2010/

Also, as Metro reminded me this morning, it's a mere two weeks until I go to see Seun Kuti & Egypt 80.  Need to check out his new album.

Whoa, thanks for the heads up.  I like the venue too; bonus.

CaledonianGonzo

It's a great venue right enough, The Queen's Hall.  Mrs CG used to live in a flat opposite and so polite were the punters I don't recall once being woken up by rowdy gig-goers streaming out.

Though I'm ambivalent about their policy of only stocking beers by Williams' Bros.  The Ceilidh is genuinely 'orrible, so I usually stick with the Thistly Cross cider, which packs a whopping 7.2%.  By the time Ira Kaplan busts out Cherry Chapstick I'll be further up the flagpole than I probably should be for a school night.

holyzombiejesus

That spinning wheel thingy sounds a bit toe curling though? Especially if you get the one where they act out a scene from a sitcom. *shudders*

CaledonianGonzo

It certainly has the potential for glorious, heroic failure.  I haven't read any reports of the US shows to see what went down, but it will be a bit of a lottery, yes.

Though, as previously pointed out, I'll be blasting off into orbit on the jakie-strength cheeky watter by that point.

Spiteface

Quote from: BRen on March 27, 2011, 01:11:19 PM
It's quite amusing that Keith Levene and Jah Wobble from the original PIL lineup actually perform as Public Image with a Lydon look (and sound) alike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU7CsitljeU

That is surreal to watch purely because of the Lydon soundalikey.  So Levene and Wobble have essentially pulled a post-punk "Velvet Revolver"?

Sounded pretty good though.

The Plunger

Lykke Li at Glasgow Arches soon for me. Looking forward to it.

Also got tickets for Stag and Dagger, which are instantly worth it knowing that Sons & Daughters and Warpaint are playing.

scarecrow

Mercury Rev are doing a 'Deserters Songs' tour next month- I was going to buy a ticket for it, but spent my money on Yo La Tengo instead, when I found out they were playing. Does anyone know if they plan on performing much non-Deserters Songs material?

Outside of YLT, I'm planning on seeing Drive By Truckers and have tickets for Simone Felice and Loudon Wainwright III- am particularly excited about the latter.

I saw a Josh T Pearson set last week and wasn't at all impressed by it, in spite of quite liking the album. There was far too much tedious between song chat ("It takes a lot for a Texan to be smart- just look at George W Bush!") and he seemed to play without any real focus, but rather in a self-important, meandering way. The fact that he wasn't suited to a packed, standing only venue didn't help.

Fuck it, I'm going to buy a Mercury Rev ticket right now.

CaledonianGonzo

I've been given a couple of free tickets tomorrow night to see Razorlight.

http://venues.meanfiddler.com/hmv-picture-house/listings/featured/3562/razorlight-tickets

Should I go?

scarecrow

No!

Although the early doors/loads of support bands idea is quite cool, chances are they'll all be of a low standard. Pose Victorious certainly are. Last I saw of Razorlight, they had an extremely pretentious air about them.