Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:34:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Attila

Went to see Dave Davies (o'the Kinks) in Annapolis, MD last night -- same club where I first met him in 1997. Gave him a copy of my Kinks book. He was in a fine and fruity fettle.

Oops, top of the page -- enjoy this strange effect.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on March 05, 2018, 05:49:32 PM
Shonen Knife in April. Yay!

Such a great gig. SK rocked the house in an excruciatingly polite way. Amazing.
Support band (Kolars) were pretty damned cool, too.

Paaaaul

I saw Shonen Knife and Kolars last night.
Shonen Knife were the most entertaining that I've ever seen them, and their drummer is still insane.
Kolars were odd. A guitarist who thinks he's Lindsay Buckingham playing with a tap-dancing drummer whose drums sound like a late 80s drum-machine. Their whole set-up felt like they were a festival band who happened to be on tour. Every interaction and movement had been rehearsed to the millimetre which gave a very slick, but cold performance. The shout out to the local football team fell absolutely flat, as it should.

DrGreggles

Gomez in a few weeks!
Apparently performing all of Bring It On* + others.

*Released 20 years ago! Shit, I'm old...

Ferris

The Mountain Goats tomorrow in Toronto.

Excited now. Yesss.

Ferris

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 13, 2018, 07:31:39 PM
Gomez in a few weeks!
Apparently performing all of Bring It On* + others.

*Released 20 years ago! Shit, I'm old...

Used to know a couple of the members. Didn't realize they were still going! Nice lads

phantom_power

I know they are not massively liked in here but I saw Arcade Fire at Wembley last night and they were fucking amazing

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Paaaaul on April 13, 2018, 01:22:44 PM
I saw Shonen Knife and Kolars last night.
Shonen Knife were the most entertaining that I've ever seen them, and their drummer is still insane.
Kolars were odd. A guitarist who thinks he's Lindsay Buckingham playing with a tap-dancing drummer whose drums sound like a late 80s drum-machine. Their whole set-up felt like they were a festival band who happened to be on tour. Every interaction and movement had been rehearsed to the millimetre which gave a very slick, but cold performance. The shout out to the local football team fell absolutely flat, as it should.
I thought he looked like 'Good Gary Glitter', y'know, before he turned into 'Bad Gary Glitter'. I thought they were really cool, live. I enjoyed the moment he kicked himself along the floor, amongst the crowd, on his back whilst soloing. However, their album has left me a little cold.

jobotic

I'm going to this, as my friend has a pair of tickets and no one to go with. Looking forward to hanging out with him, but this line-up doesn't do a lot for me and neither will the £5 for a can of Red Stripe catering.

https://www.allpointseastfestival.com/presents/nick-cave

But the end of next month, ten minutes from my house - The Cravats!

holyzombiejesus

Got Yo La Tengo on Monday and possibly Liminanas on Tuesday although the latter are looking very unlikely unfortunately, which is a huge shame as I bet they're brilliant live and they never seem to come to London, let alone the North.

DrGreggles

Saw Barenaked Ladies last night.
Bloody love 'em!
One of my favourite live bands and, even after seeing them 20+ times, they always seem to top the previous time.

non capisco

Quote from: jobotic on April 26, 2018, 04:12:36 PM
I'm going to this, as my friend has a pair of tickets and no one to go with. Looking forward to hanging out with him, but this line-up doesn't do a lot for me and neither will the £5 for a can of Red Stripe catering.
https://www.allpointseastfestival.com/presents/nick-cave

I'm going to that, I think it's a top line up. Bo Ningen are amazing live, The Black Lips are always a party, seen Courtney Barnett before and enjoyed her and it's NICK FUCKING CAVE, dude. The fiver for a can of beer can fuck off but it's a Sunday night as I recall so I doubt I'll be smashing into the grog with reckless abandon anyway.

I'm also going to that. Nick fucking Cave, St. fucking Vincent, Patti fucking Smith, Courtney fucking Barnett. Top lineup.

Ferris

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: jobotic on April 26, 2018, 04:12:36 PM
But the end of next month, ten minutes from my house - The Cravats!

You lucky lucky bastard!

Neville Chamberlain

I'm off to see Lightning Bolt on Sunday night - looking forward to a relaxing evening of toe-tapping fun!

king_tubby

Didn't know they were over here again.

Googles.

Oh, one date, in London. Shame, they're fucking ace live.

Weedeater are playing at the Brudenell on Bank Holiday Monday. Might go to that.

alan nagsworth

I can't wait for that Lightning Bolt gig at the Garage. The Body and Sex Swing supporting. Gonna be a fucking riot of a night.

non capisco

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 27, 2018, 07:08:44 PM
I can't wait for that Lightning Bolt gig at the Garage. The Body and Sex Swing supporting. Gonna be a fucking riot of a night.

YES MATE.

Morrison Lard

I went to see Arcade Fire in Frankfurt the other week,
I'm not really a fan of theirs to be honest, was just tagging along with a mate for a knees-up.
The sound in the venue was pretty awful and Frankfurt is, without doubt, the shittest city I've ever visited.
3/10, never again.

Next thing I'm looking forward to is DRI/MDC tour in August.

jobotic

king_tubby

Think they toured last year? JOHN WAYNE WAS A NAZI

Morrison Lard

Quote from: jobotic on April 29, 2018, 10:01:54 PM
This MDC?
That MDC.

Would've gone to see em regardless, but DRI is the cherry on the cunting cake.

DrGreggles

Gomez tonight. Playing their debut album in full (+ other stuff) to celebrate its 20th anniversary.

20th anniversary.

Twenty fucking years.

Shit, I'm old...

Sebastian Cobb

Just pulled the trigger on the RM Hubbert and Aidan Moffat gig happening in a couple of weeks.

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 06, 2018, 07:26:49 PM
Gomez tonight. Playing their debut album in full (+ other stuff) to celebrate its 20th anniversary.

20th anniversary.

Twenty fucking years.

Shit, I'm old...

Interestingly Ben now has the looks to match his voice.

Blinder Data

Anyone else going to All Points East on Sunday? I've been listening to Bjork loads recently and just had to go, so I'm tagging along with a bunch of people I don't really know. If anyone else I don't really know wants to meet up, hit me up!

Head Gardener

Unknown Mortal Orchestra at The Roundhouse last night

jobotic

Well The Cravats were marvellous. I didn''t know any of the songs but they were all great. Joe 91's bass playing, man. The Shend on fine form too.

Shame there were about 15 of us there. That's why we don't any decent gigs round here.