Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:26:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Please let me know how awful this man is too thanks?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I'd like in on the Ariel Is A Bastard racket too, cheers.

Small Man Big Horse

Not technically a gig but I went to see Shirley Manson in conversation with some NME bloke this evening as the band's recently released a book, and it was pretty interesting stuff, especially as bar the first two albums I'm not really aware of anything by them. The only downside is that Amanda Palmer was in the audience (she's a friend of Shirley's apparently) and kept on loudly shouting out things which got irritating after a while. I like some of her music too, but she really does seem like she's an incredibly rubbish human being at times.

Junglist

Jean Toussaint Quartert at Hole in the Wall in Manchester. My first ever jazz gig and I'd say I'm a convert now. The first couple of songs threw me, slow, intricate and it didn't click but as the tempo built, leading up to the fantastic dedication to Stevie Wonder, I was madly into it.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Standing in the queue for They Might be Giants now - there's no signs or owt but judoing by the general appearance of everyone i'm definitely in the right place.

sevendaughters

terrible gig experience last night. went to see Escape-ism (Ian Svenonius) in Birmingham. opening act was the dirt worst thing I've seen in years. the second song was the skeleton of 'Give Me Back My Man' (actually, not a song that sounded like it) through an MP3 player and then the singer screamed over it and then alternated vocals into a non-committal whatever reading of it with arbitrary delay pedal abuse. all the while a painter painted side-stage. reassured to know there are pretentious teens out there but this was hot shit. middle act was dreadful too. rank amateur garage rock never grabbed me but this was two older guys in sexmasks playing behind two younger girls so it felt grotty. was hyped for Svenonius though, a minor hero of mine through NOU, Make Up, Weird War, Chain and the Gang, his weird essays, and his chat show on Vice, but by the time he stopped faffing and necking with his ladyfriend I had to get my train. the 1.5 songs i saw were great and he was on form.

sardines

Just saw La Luz. Good show though they could do with a couple of bangers and I'm not talking about their...etc and so on

king_tubby

Svenonius does stuff for Vice? Fuck's sake, man, I thought he was cool.

Kane Jones

Olafur Arnalds this coming Thursday, then the marvellous Kip Winger next Saturday (hands down the most fun gig of the year - fuck Beavis & Butthead, he's hilarious). John Grant next month. Should be a good few weeks.

DrGreggles

Just back from They Might Be Giants.
They are fucking awesome.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 22, 2018, 11:46:12 PM

You were there too? Oh man. Could have done a miniature CaB meet.
Agreed though, was proper good. They even did my favourite of the late-period songs (When Will You Die) so I was well made up with that.

hermitical

last night in Yeovil - Ekoplekz, Kemper Norton, a 'super group' including IX Tab and Farmer Glitch (from Hacker Farm), Seth Cooke and Dominic Lash and various other wyrd (it was at Wyrd Wild West) and wonderful things

king_tubby

Oh wow, I love those Ekoplekz records, just like being back in Sheffield in 1995. Warp-tastic.

Mobius

Saw the "Bootleg Beatles" last night.

80% of the crowd were old age pensioners. Lots of zimmer frames and colostomy bags.

One old boy had to be carried out by staff because his legs had gone. The Bootleg John Lennon asked if he'd taken some acid, to which the Bootleg Paul McCartney replied "yeah, antacid!"

Ferris

^I'd suggest that is a prepared line

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 22, 2018, 11:46:12 PM

Dammit! Junction? Really wanted to go to that. Love that venue.

And TMBG obvs....

Artie Fufkin

Went to see Slug @ Ramsgate Music Hall the other day.
Boooked tickets 'blind', as it were. Seemed interesting from the blurb I read about them.
They were cool. Drummer was immense. And looked a little like Benny Hill with a perm.

Olarrio

Songs:Molina at the Brudenell tonight, providing I can overcome a dicky tummy in time. Last time I went to a gig with a ropey stomach I shat myself outside Satan's Hollow.

Really keen to go though, it could be a thoroughly emotional experience.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on September 24, 2018, 09:52:55 AM
Dammit! Junction? Really wanted to go to that. Love that venue.

And TMBG obvs....

Yes, Junction. They play there every tour.
Great gig. 8pm to 11pm (with an interval), 30+ songs.

king_tubby

Quote from: Olarrio on September 24, 2018, 10:08:25 AM
Songs:Molina at the Brudenell tonight, providing I can overcome a dicky tummy in time. Last time I went to a gig with a ropey stomach I shat myself outside Satan's Hollow.

I'm off to that, so please don't shit yourself near me.

niat

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 24, 2018, 11:44:43 AM

I saw them in Leeds on Friday and they were magnificent.

While I'm here, over the next few weeks I'm going to:

Three Trapped Tigers, Physics House Band, Strobes and Adam Betts at Brudenell - Can't wait for this, I've seen all three bands headlining at this venue and they were all great.

The Black Queen at Brudenell They've only released one track from the forthcoming album so far, but it's promising.

Arcane Roots at Gorilla, Manchester - an electronic set and a chance to bid them farewell before they split (sob.)

Cuellar

Saw that Courtney Barnett is playing up the road from me in November. Quite like her stuff, anyone seen her live?

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 24, 2018, 11:44:43 AM

Aw, man. Weljel, as the kids say.
Was it a full band (brass section, etc.,)?

boki

Quote from: niat on September 24, 2018, 12:36:36 PM
I saw them in Leeds on Friday and they were magnificent.

While I'm here, over the next few weeks I'm going to:

Three Trapped Tigers, Physics House Band, Strobes and Adam Betts at Brudenell -
Fuckinell, that's gonna bang.  I'd be seriously considering coming up for that if it weren't on a Sunday.

You've reminded me to get a ticket for Arcane Roots in Leicester, too.  Saw their electronic set at ATG and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Edit: well, that unsurprisingly sold out already.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on September 24, 2018, 12:48:13 PM
Aw, man. Weljel, as the kids say.
Was it a full band (brass section, etc.,)?

6 piece band (including trumpeter/trombonist).

king_tubby

Quote from: Olarrio on September 24, 2018, 10:08:25 AM

What did you think? I was totally blown away. I was much more of a Songs: Ohia fan than Magnolia Electric Company, but it seemed I knew lot more songs than I thought I would. Very emotional. I was a bit pissed off Nathan didn't bother saying anywhere on social media that they'd be starting so early so we missed the first couple of songs. I was also a bit surprised at how few people were there, but 20 quid was pretty steep, I only went cos I got a free ticket from someone who couldn't make it.

PS hope you didn't shit yersen.

Olarrio

Quote from: king_tubby on September 25, 2018, 08:30:47 AM
What did you think? I was totally blown away. I was much more of a Songs: Ohia fan than Magnolia Electric Company, but it seemed I knew lot more songs than I thought I would. Very emotional. I was a bit pissed off Nathan didn't bother saying anywhere on social media that they'd be starting so early so we missed the first couple of songs. I was also a bit surprised at how few people were there, but 20 quid was pretty steep, I only went cos I got a free ticket from someone who couldn't make it.

PS hope you didn't shit yersen.

It was quite, quite wonderful.

I knew I ran the risk of missing a couple of songs as had to set off late but I missed all but two of the first set! Really was the gig to announce times beforehand, that was a fuck up.

Hammer Down was a real highlight - having the excerpt read (with some of my favourite lyrics of his) before leading into the massive, rocked up version gave tingles. Tingles in all the right places.

Another lovely moment; the mobile phone ring puncturing the music RIGHT before "the ringing of the station bell".

And no ploppy pants!!

king_tubby

Wish it'd been in the other room, I wanted a sit down.

(I'm complaining a lot about a fantastic gig, I'll shut up now)

king_tubby

Crikey, just seen James Chance is playing the Brudenell in March next year. I have snapped up tickets.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: king_tubby on September 26, 2018, 02:17:53 PM
Crikey, just seen James Chance is playing the Brudenell in March next year. I have snapped up tickets.
What are the chances of that !?

a-huh-a-huh-a-huh