Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:12:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: alan nagsworth on November 06, 2018, 11:36:24 PM
Sorry to hear both of youse had middling experiences.

When me and non capisco saw them at Koko the other night, the whole night was tremendous.

Yeah, this was fuckin slamming. Jon Spencer was the first live act I ever saw (at least if you follow the accepted line of non capisco canon that omits unverified rumours of his, I mean my dad taking me to see The Brian May Band) and I was thrilled that he's still pretty much AS GREAT these days. And I've just remembered that Melvins covered my favourite Rolling Stones tune 'Sway' out of nowhere that night, can't say fairer than that, can you?

NEW PAGE is number one in Philadelphia!
NEW PAGE is number one in Pittsburgh!
NEW PAGE is number one in Noo York Citayyyyy!
YEAAAAHH-UNNNGHHH!

DrGreggles

Teenage Fanclub coming up on Friday/Saturday/Sunday.
So bloody excited!

OK, so I've got to spend the weekend in Birmingham, but they're well worth it.

niat

Quote from: Pingers on November 06, 2018, 11:21:04 PM
Just got back from GoGo Penguin at the Leadmill. What a gig! I already loved their music but hadn't seen them live, had heard they were good and really was not disappointed.

Double bass, piano, drums. From these three elements comes extraordinary, complex and ecstatic music. The thing with GoGo Penguin is that watching and listening to each member on their own would be engaging enough; complex cascades of euphoric piano, drummer Rob feathering, prodding and scattering himself over his kit, virtuoso innards-rumbling bass from Nick Blacka. He's doing what now? And how does it sound so good? Put all three elements together and it is electrifying. Sheffield audiences are generally very good; on a Tuesday night in November they were in full cry, the end of each song producing a shock of joy. At the end, the band looked a little taken aback at the reaction but they totally deserved it. This is audacious and beautiful music made by people at the top of their game. Aside from the frankly unsurpassable 65daysofstatic, it was the best gig I've been to in a good while.

This was the first date of their UK tour, they are heading to Newcastle, Glasgow, Brighton, London, Cambridge, Bristol, Cardiff and Manchester next, and later over to Dublin. Have a listen to these and if you like what you hear I would strongly suggest you get yourself a ticket for a gig near you.

One Percent (Live)

All Res (Live)

Unspeakable World

Yeah, they're great. I'll be going to the Manchester gig next week.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 07, 2018, 08:16:00 AM
So bloody excited!

Went to night 2 in Manchester last night and the 3rd and final is tonight. Felt a bit emotional realising I was probably experiencing Gerry sing Aint That Enough for my last time. It really struck me what a special band they and also just how superior Gerry's songs are to Norman's and Raymond's. Brendan was really pissing me off mind.

Ferris

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 07, 2018, 08:16:00 AM
So bloody excited!

Brum is unrecognisably nice last I checked. Easily the equal of yer Leedses/Manchesters/Liverpools etc. Just has a bad rap and is amusing to kick around, though a lot of the flak is a bit dated these days.

(Apologies in advance for the inevitable argument this will start.)

DrGreggles

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 07, 2018, 03:26:05 PM
Went to night 2 in Manchester last night and the 3rd and final is tonight. Felt a bit emotional realising I was probably experiencing Gerry sing Aint That Enough for my last time. It really struck me what a special band they and also just how superior Gerry's songs are to Norman's and Raymond's. Brendan was really pissing me off mind.

If I'm honest, I probably just prefer Norman's songs to Gerry's overall.

DrGreggles

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 08, 2018, 12:18:24 AM
Brum is unrecognisably nice last I checked. Easily the equal of yer Leedses/Manchesters/Liverpools etc. Just has a bad rap and is amusing to kick around, though a lot of the flak is a bit dated these days.

(Apologies in advance for the inevitable argument this will start.)

I'm saying quite near the venue, so any bar advice would be greatly welcomed - especially for watching the football on Saturday/Sunday.
I quite like Brum anyway. It's been a while since I was there, but I've always found the people to generally be friendly*.

*possibly due to it sounding hilarious when anyone with that accent is angry!

DrGreggles

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 08, 2018, 08:39:16 AM
If I'm honest, I probably just prefer Norman's songs to Gerry's overall.

Wasn't Gerry Overall in one of Bob Mortimer's WILTY stories?

holyzombiejesus

Last night was great and it was lovely to be able to join in the wee round round of applause that Gerry received at the end. It also made me realise how underated Howdy is. It's probably got Raymond's best songs on it and The Town and the City is an absolute banger (in TFC terms). Brendan continued to irritate, mugging it up and trying to get attention throughout, even jumping in to the audience during the gorgeously plaintive Broken. Everyone else seemed to enjoy it though so maybe I'm just a miserable twat. Wished they'd done the Yo La Tengo cover in the 2nd part but I guess using up 20 minutes on one song was never going to happen. They do seem to be changing the final set round a tiny bit so you may get it in Brum.

Also, from the TFC facebook page...

QuoteI bumped into Gerry and was chatting when the guy from Emmerdale walked past and said how much he'd enjoyed the show. And Gerry said wow, that's the guy from Emmerdale!

DrGreggles

I think they did I Heard You Looking at one of the warm up gigs, so fingers crossed for that on Sunday.
Did they do any other covers? Maybe they're sticking to their own stuff.

Junglist

Kikagaku Moyo at Gorilla in Manchester. Psychedelic rock from Tokyo, very Zeppelin etc influenced.

Real real good live band. A lot of confidence and trust in the audience.

I've spent 34 years not going to live music, met the missus and we're going every two weeks currently. Its a bit good innit?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 08, 2018, 11:00:21 AM
I think they did I Heard You Looking at one of the warm up gigs, so fingers crossed for that on Sunday.

They've done that Bevis Frond one in Glasgow and Manchester, and ended with Take the Skinheads Bowling last night. Think they did Older Guys in Glasgow too

Ornlu

Off to see Acid Mothers Temple in an hour or so. Really no clue what to expect.

PaulTMA

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 08, 2018, 11:00:21 AM

I was at them both and it wasn't played.  They just did album tracks only, entirely different songs at the two nights.

DrGreggles

Well, they were fucking amazing tonight anyway.
Pretty sure they're my favourite band. Ever.

holyzombiejesus

I didn't go to the first night in Manchester but, apparently, 'everyone' (i.e. my friend and his friends) was raving about how great Thirteen was. It's probably the least loved album out of the Creation ones, isn't it? Anyway, you've probably got the best 3 albums to come, you jammy fucker. I wish I could go again.

DrGreggles

Thirteen is definitely underrated. I've always liked it, but I suppose it suffers by comparison with the ones either side of it.
Sounded amazing last night. Hadn't heard some of those live before and others not since the albums were originally released.

DrGreggles

Teenage Fanclub were amazing.
All 3 nights. Fucking amazing.

If you have tickets for London, you are in for a tremendous time.

jobotic

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 08, 2018, 11:21:05 AM
They've done that Bevis Frond one in Glasgow and Manchester, and ended with Take the Skinheads Bowling last night. Think they did Older Guys in Glasgow too

What Bevis Frond one?

DrGreggles

Quote from: jobotic on November 12, 2018, 11:03:09 AM
What Bevis Frond one?

He'd Be A Diamond.

Did that last night too - and Like A Virgin!

holyzombiejesus

Did Brendan get on your nerves?

DrGreggles

holyzombiejesus

You cloth-eared goon.

DrGreggles

Can I add a caveat:

Not his drumming (which was as erratic as ever).
The difference between night one with Brendan and night 2 with Paul was incredible.

holyzombiejesus

Ha! My friend who went on the first night was saying what a great drummer Brendan was. He irritated me so much. A poor man's Duglas Stewart.
I wonder how Gerry's feeling, now that he'll only be playing all those songs one more time. He looked reasonably cheerful.

Crabwalk

I'm only able to get to nights 1 & 3 in London, which I'm growing sadder about by the day.

I have a spare ticket for tomorrow's Bandwagonesque/Thirteen show actually. If anyone's interested, PM me.

Edit: That ticket is taken after all, ignore that last bit.

DrGreggles

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 12, 2018, 07:48:09 PM
I wonder how Gerry's feeling, now that he'll only be playing all those songs one more time. He looked reasonably cheerful.

He looked like he was having a great time - they all did.
Gerry even spoke TWICE!

jobotic

Should i go and see the BMX Bandits at The Lexington? I saw them years and years ago and had a great time but..y'know.

PaulTMA

Quote from: jobotic on November 13, 2018, 08:59:25 AM
Should i go and see the BMX Bandits at The Lexington? I saw them years and years ago and had a great time but..y'know.

Bandits are a great bunch of lads