Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:20:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 13, 2018, 04:41:49 PM
Bandits are a great bunch of lads

This guy.

I saw Swamp Dogg last night and he was everything I'd ever want him to be. Bright yellow suit and sunglasses. He did "Sam Stone" as the first song and during "I've Gotta Get A Message To You" walked around Rich Mix shaking hands with people. He did nothing off his new LP but his daughter who was on the merch table said he'll be back next year. I can not wait to see him again.

samadriel

Just heard Gang of Four are touring here in March.  Can't wait!  Now I can exploit them.

I'm bracing myself for three Mogwai shows by collecting other people's ear wax and jamming it in as far and as compact as it will go.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on November 21, 2018, 12:28:48 PM
I'm bracing myself for three Mogwai shows by collecting other people's ear wax and jamming it in as far and as compact as it will go.

I'm going to the one they're doing with The Cure next year.

I have a busy week this week:
Tue - Mark Kermode's presentation about how he failed to be a musician.
Wed - Malcolm Middleton.
Fri - Young Fathers.
Sat - Auntie Flo live set and Dj set at the Sub Club.

Got a mate who has invited himself up to see Aberdeen on Sunday as well so we'll be out after. I've got Monday off but I'm not sure it'll be enough.

homesickalien

Anyone thinking of watching Bob Dylan and Neil Young in Hyde Park next July?

DrGreggles

Quote from: homesickalien on November 27, 2018, 09:28:14 PM
Anyone thinking of watching Bob Dylan and Neil Young in Hyde Park next July?

Never seen Dylan, so I'll have to.

It'll be awful, won't it.

Cuellar

Nah it'll be good I reckon. I went to see him a few times about 13-14 years ago when he was deep into his gravelly growling phase and I still enjoyed it big time.

Went to see Beak> last night in Oxford. It was pretty good.

jobotic

My folks were oeer yesterday and talking about that Dylan thing. They saw him a couple of years ago in some festival nearby and said he was dreadful so they're not going to bother. They've both been fans for years too.

king_tubby

Mudhoney tomorrow night, lads. Hopefully nothing later than 1992, but probably not.

SteveDave

Quote from: jobotic on November 29, 2018, 12:37:25 PM
My folks were oeer yesterday and talking about that Dylan thing. They saw him a couple of years ago in some festival nearby and said he was dreadful so they're not going to bother. They've both been fans for years too.

I've seen him about 8 times in the last 16 years. The last few have really put me off seeing him again. At first it was fun guessing what song he was playing now it's a bit sad.

The last time I saw him was in the Royal Albert Hall where I got in for £1.00. Long story short I bought a copy of "Monster Movie" by (The) Can for £1.00 in a charity shop and swapped it for a £90 ticket. I think I was done.

Swoz_MK

Conan are playing down the road from me tonight but last time [grandad]it was so fucking loud, even with earplugs in, that is wasn't enjoyable in the slightest and I fucked off home early[/grandad]

Shame, as Tuskar are supporting

Pingers

Just got back from seeing Orbital. It was good, of course it was, it's Orbital y'know. It was also as LOUD AS FUCK. Too loud really, it made the sound quite murky too much of the time. But it was fun, albeit a bit weird seeing them on a work night indoors, as opposed to a festival. Ringing ears in the morning for me. They were well supported by Plaid, worth seeing if you get the chance.

Sebastian Cobb

Just went to get tickets for Aidan Moffat and RM Hubbert in the Fruit Market in February.

Turns out it's part of some Celtic Connections festival so had a quick up and ended up bagging tickets for:
Ronnie Spector & The Ronettes
Rhiannon Giddens
Laetitia Sadier

If anyone in Glasgow is interested in these some of them only seem to have a few tickets left so nip on.

non capisco

For all my resolute determination to seek out new music in 2019 and redirect my finger to something at least approximating 'the pulse' my first gig booking for next year is Hall and Oates. And I could not be more excited.

Artie Fufkin

My first gig booking for 2019 is Steve Hillage. Like, wow.

easytarget

2019 is looking good. Already got tickets for:
Kiss's "last" tour in February. They mean nothing to me, but they have a couple of songs and my friends want to go. This will be awful/amazing.
Baroness/Deafheaven co-headlining thing. Oh fuck yeah. Two of the best acts around doing a club-sized show together? Expectations are very high.
Iron FUCKING Maiden - got GA tickets for their stadium show in September. Could not be more excited. Iron Maiden got me into music and I haven't seen them for about 15 years. Squee? Squeeeeee!

Also - Conan are playing at a *tiny* venue down the street in a couple of months, hope I can trick someone into joining me for a night of scouse caveman stoner battle-doom.

jobotic

My sister has reminded me that she got me a ticket to see Oneohtrix Point Never in March. Sweet! Anyone here going?

Also, bizarrely, Calvin Johnson is playing in an oast house in my shitty little home town in May. I remember listening to Beat Happening in my bedroom at my mum's there. Should be nearly as weird as my often mentioned gig of Bastro and the Happy Flowers in a community hall in the outskirts of Canterbury.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: easytarget on January 14, 2019, 06:47:46 AM
Baroness/Deafheaven co-headlining thing. Oh fuck yeah. Two of the best acts around doing a club-sized show together? Expectations are very high.

Awww, man! Seen Baroness a couple of times, now. Once in Amsterdam stoned out of my gourd, and then in Margate. I think it was the gig before their coach went over a cliff.

king_tubby

Quote from: jobotic on January 14, 2019, 09:21:27 AM
Also, bizarrely, Calvin Johnson is playing in an oast house in my shitty little home town in May.

Saw him early last year playing a matinee gig for kids in the DIY venue in town. It was odd.

Next gig is The Messthetics, looking forward to that.

jobotic

Quote from: king_tubby on January 14, 2019, 10:22:02 AM
Saw him early last year playing a matinee gig for kids in the DIY venue in town. It was odd.

Yeah this is in the evening but all ages. I haven't listened to anything he's done for years and have no idea what he does now. It's acoustic. But I have a lot of Beat Happening and Dub Narcotic records so i like the oddness of him being here.

Hoping Ian Svenonius will play my son's scout hut next, maybe before Beavers starts.

Noddy Tomkey

Quote from: jobotic on January 14, 2019, 09:21:27 AM
Calvin Johnson is playing in an oast house in my shitty little home town

Is this in Kent, jobot?

jobotic

Noddy Tomkey

Mental, I used to go there a lot around y2k. Have you got a link? I can't find anything about it...

jobotic

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Noddy Tomkey on January 14, 2019, 08:04:37 PM
Is this in Kent, jobot?

Apparently Adamski is playing in a pub near Folkestone soon....

Noddy Tomkey

Quote from: jobotic on January 15, 2019, 09:57:29 AM
Does that work? If no I'll PM you.

Yes! How exciting, thanks a bunch x

NoSleep

Got my ticket for Terry Riley (and son, Gyan Riley) at the Union Chapel, Islington in April, having completely missed out on his recent gig in Brighton (by finding out about it too late to buy tickets). I'm more going along to applaud him in person for a life well spent than to listen, but I will listen hopefully.

boki

Quote from: king_tubby on January 14, 2019, 10:22:02 AM
Next gig is The Messthetics, looking forward to that.
I'm going to the Nottingham gig.

king_tubby

OK, so the Messthetics were great last night and you should go seem them if they're playing in your town and you like the idea of some guitarist with a table full of effect boxes doing mad shredding over the rhythm section from Fugazi.

Toying with popping up to see the Dandy Warhols in Manchester tonight. Not sure I can justify the spend and I'm not massively au fait with all their back catalogue. Anyone fancy persuading me one way or another?