Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:43:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

flipping through some old NME's earlier I came across a couple of gig options back in 1993

non capisco

Got a ticket to go and see Tropical Fuck Storm in May, which I'm cock-a-hoop about because I've been dying to see Gareth Liddiard play in some iteration ever since I got into The Drones a few years ago and to the best of my knowledge that band never seemed to have enough international traction to tour over here. Maybe the new rude band name helped. So there's a tip for struggling provincial Australian rock bands, rename yourself something like It's Fucking Raining Shitty Anuses and watch those European tours come rolling in.

king_tubby

Don't think that worked for Lubricated Goat.

Head Gardener

dug out some more old NME's (last batch) all early 90's and other great gig madness

hermitical

Quote from: Head Gardener on February 01, 2019, 11:09:27 AM
dug out some more old NME's (last batch) all early 90's and other great gig madness

I was at the Birmingham date, I guess Rock City had sold out cos that was the local one.

At the time I was going to Birmingham quite a lot, knew Mitch from the Plastic Factory who couldn't wait to play me Spiderland. Edward's No. 8 had plenty of good gigs around then

easytarget

Quote from: easytarget on January 14, 2019, 06:47:46 AM
Kiss's "last" tour in February. They mean nothing to me, but they have a couple of songs and my friends want to go. This will be awful/amazing.
They don't got Ace Freely. They don't got Peter Criss
So much pyro. So many lasers.
Loads of belting hits (Detroit Rock City, Black Diamond, Beth) , some shit (War Machine, Hide Your Heart), Paul Stanley is amazing and asked lots of questions : Can I ask a question? HOW YOU DOING TACOMA!?! Gene Simmons is still a dickhead.

sevendaughters

Saw Trail of Dead last night in Brum doing Madonna in full. Their shows from 00-02 at Leeds/Manchester Acad/Astoria for me some big "getting into music" highlights, I wanted to be in a band that was essentially tuneful and heartfelt but also noisy and chaotic and cathartic (failed).

They were milling around the (large pub well out of the city centre) venue and they seemed still essentially happy with their lot, no rock star pretence, no airs, life may have cast them down somewhat but at least they're alive. The crowd was basically the same people who saw them back in the day, just older. A lot of tough paper rounds.

Anyway, and in full understanding that their shows were never classic 'rehearsed rock show' shows, this was a bit of a disappointment. First, and maybe I am the only one who thinks this, but I feel like live sound is getting worse. So often I hear live sound that is a loud rhythm section (kick and snare always way too loud) with a thin wisp of guitar and vocals with an injudicious reverb. For the support band I thought it was because not enough bodies in the room and they're going for some thin-ish Parquet Courts thing - but it was just wrong for the start of the TOD set (the first 4 songs off Madonna, so, not a good tone setter). It got better as it went on but never topped out at 'good'. Trail of Dead's guitars are meant to slam you over the head. They barely tickled my balls.

I guess also what stuck me about Madonna as a record is that it is full of little details, piano flourishes, layering, etc. that the songs miss.

They played with the form and performance some of the songs. Sometimes it was successful, like adding a few minutes of improv ersatz krautrock to 'A Perfect Teenhood' and beginning 'Totally Natural' with the melody in the middle 'chains are broken one by one' section. Others it was not - 'Mark David Chapman' suffers the loss of their charismatic former bassist, who would sing this and play guitar (so it was 3 guitars and drums). They re-arranged it for Conrad to sing and only half-arse the guitar, so it was just nowhere near the banger it once was.

Other times it was a case of older guys not able to do the vocals they did 20 years ago, always late on phrasing, always overrunning the bar. They have less excuse too as the two singers only have half a set each to sing.

TL;DR old guys get old, can't be young

alan nagsworth

I copped The Residents last night, at the Union Chapel no less. I'm by no means knowledgeable on even a quarter of their history, much as I greatly enjoy the first five or six albums they did, so I wouldn't be able to tell if they've ever had any rough patches with their output, but I can say that yesterday they were fucking wonderful.

I was sat two rows from the front and enjoyed a cracking view of a delightfully demented, amusing, and captivating performance, with the Chapel's usual whack of quality sound and acoustics. I was quite transfixed by the whole thing and I really felt like I'd witnessed something special at such a late stage in their career. They remain a real treasure of weirdo art.

jobotic

Any of you lot at Oneohtrix Point Never at the Roundhouse tonight? Most frustrating thing I've ever seen.

Sebastian Cobb

Just pulled the trigger on tickets to see Nick Lowe in June and The Selecter in October. Yes I.

king_tubby

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I saw James Chance and Les Contortions last week. Really good. A mix of jazz standards and NY post-punk nihilism. He looks like he could keel over at any minute. Backing band were fantastic, especially the drummer.

holyzombiejesus

Went to see Bedouine last night and it got right on my nerves. Just not in the mood really. Post baby, I can't remember when I last went out and actually chatted with a friend, so having met up with a mate beforehand I wasn't really in the mood to then enter in to some old church to see a woman play (brilliant, beautifully played) songs. Something about gigs in churches irritates the fuck out of me too. The way that people gaze wistfully up at the roof whilst contemplating taking up poetry or oil painting really bugs me. So we waited until she sang a song in her native tongue and then fucked off to the Rovers Return and drank foul lager and slagged off Mike Gapes.

A psychedelic couple of months coming up

Gong in Newcastle upon Tyne
The Orb in Stockton on Tees
Magma in Gateshead
Chemical Brothers in Glasgow

Sebastian Cobb

Stereolab in June and Little Simz in October.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: king_tubby on March 22, 2019, 11:05:44 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I saw James Chance and Les Contortions last week. Really good. A mix of jazz standards and NY post-punk nihilism. He looks like he could keel over at any minute. Backing band were fantastic, especially the drummer.

I saw them in Brighton on the 16th March. I was a little bit disappointed with them, tbh. The first song was great, then there seemed to be too many ballads, then it finally picked up with Contort Yourself and Melt Yourself Down. I was quite impressed with the guitarist.

Johnny Yesno

I had my best evening of live music in a long time, this evening. I finally got to see Loop, and the gig finished so early that I still had time to walk to another venue to catch the last half hour of Bob Log III. Both were amazing.

Puce Moment

Nightingales and Vic Godard in Wolverhampton very soon!

Negativland playing in London in October. It has been 20-years since I saw them live so this is pretty special.

Damnation Festival in Leeds in November. The fringes of metal has become one o f my favourite places to reside, and there is tons of experimental and unusual metal bands playing here - most of whom are introduced to me by my wife who loves this sort of thing.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 11, 2019, 12:28:59 AMI had my best evening of live music in a long time, this evening. I finally got to see Loop, and the gig finished so early that I still had time to walk to another venue to catch the last half hour of Bob Log III. Both were amazing.

Loop were my first ever gig! They played a secret gig as Soundheads back in what must have been 1990!

kittens

Quote from: jobotic on March 08, 2019, 11:54:39 PM
Any of you lot at Oneohtrix Point Never at the Roundhouse tonight? Most frustrating thing I've ever seen.

i was there. i thought the whole thing was seated but it turned out you had to sit in these really far away seats with shitty sound and tonnes of pillars and shite blocking the stage. still, i enjoyed it. managed to sneak to front row of the seating area which was better than where i was initially. would've been better to be in the standing crowd but i couldn't work out how to get there and i'd been walking around london all day so fuck that.

holyzombiejesus

A friend wants me to go and see Teeth of the Sea on Friday night. Are they any good?

king_tubby

Yes. Love the last two records. Not seen 'em live though.

holyzombiejesus

They're playing at the pub in the small town I live in so it seems daft not to go.

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 11, 2019, 12:30:34 AM

Damnation Festival in Leeds in November. The fringes of metal has become one o f my favourite places to reside, and there is tons of experimental and unusual metal bands playing here

Very much so.

Someone on here was waxing lyrical about Oranssi Pazuzu a while ago, not sure if it was you but if it was cheers for the tip, they're fucking splendid.

king_tubby

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 11, 2019, 12:21:30 PM
They're playing at the pub in the small town I live in so it seems daft not to go.

Fucking gonna move to fucking Tod, that place puts on so much good stuff.

boki

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 11, 2019, 11:54:36 AM
A friend wants me to go and see Teeth of the Sea on Friday night. Are they any good?

Yes.  Can't really remember specifics because it was a few months ago and also booze, but I definitely enjoyed their Leicester gig last year (they played again recently, but I missed that 'un).

Ferris

Trying to find someone to pawn a baby off to so we can go and see the Mountain Goats next month. They were excellent last time around, and I've become slightly obsessed with them since then.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 11, 2019, 12:30:34 AMNegativland playing in London in October. It has been 20-years since I saw them live so this is pretty special.

I was planning to get tickets for this - are you going to the Sunday or Monday show?

king_tubby

Sunn O))) tour dates announced for the UK in October. Glasgow, Manchester, Bristol, London.

Might try for the Glasgow one.

NoSleep

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 11, 2019, 12:30:34 AM
Negativland playing in London in October. It has been 20-years since I saw them live so this is pretty special.
Quote from: Petey Pate on April 11, 2019, 01:43:46 PM
I was planning to get tickets for this - are you going to the Sunday or Monday show?

I'm up for this too.