Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:03:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lordofthefiles

Saw GZA last night in Newcastle. Did Liquid Swords and a load of Wu Tang stuff.

And do you know what?... he was quite, quite, stoned.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 11, 2019, 12:31:22 AM
Loop were my first ever gig! They played a secret gig as Soundheads back in what must have been 1990!

I missed seeing Loop (with Godflesh and Extreme Noise Terror supporting) in Brighton around then because I didn't like them at the time. Not long after, I realised my mistake but they split up. I saw Main several times, but I feel I have now righted a personal wrong.

SteveDave

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 11, 2019, 01:38:28 PM
Trying to find someone to pawn a baby off to so we can go and see the Mountain Goats next month. They were excellent last time around, and I've become slightly obsessed with them since then.

Do you live in London? I'll look after your baby. Would you trust someone from this Hellsite? I've got one of my own who has lived to be 2 years old so I've a vague idea of what I'm doing.

SteveDave

Jesus that sounds weird.

Ferris

Quote from: SteveDave on April 12, 2019, 12:31:44 AM
Do you live in London? I'll look after your baby. Would you trust someone from this Hellsite? I've got one of my own who has lived to be 2 years old so I've a vague idea of what I'm doing.

Toronto, and I'd probably pawn him off to family or friends before I go looking on CaB to be honest

Blinder Data

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 12, 2019, 12:11:22 PM
Toronto, and I'd probably pawn him off to family or friends before I go looking on CaB to be honest

I mean, statistically you'd be better off handing them over to a stranger but don't let facts get in the way of your prejudice

Puce Moment

NoSleep

I now have a ticket. I'll coordinate with you closer to the date.

iamcoop

I just got a ticket to see Tropical Fuck Storm in Newcastle next month which I'm really looking forward to. I have this forum to thank for introducing me to them. I know there's a few north east dwellers around here, anyone else going?

king_tubby

Enjoyed Terry Riley last night.

NoSleep

Seeing Terry Riley this Tuesday, myself.

king_tubby

Hope you enjoy it! People I was with who have more knowledge of his stuff were a bit disappointed, but for a n00b like me it was great. Their main criticism was his son on guitar - 'just doing 90s post rock shit' - now given I love 90s post rock shit this was not an issue.

buzby

Went to see TVAM at YES in Manchester tonight.

The venue is a new one to me - its a converted auctioneers on Charles St next door to the Lass O' Gowrie pub and over the road from the Factory's office building that helped to bankrupt the m(not also a club,with a reputation for thugs as doormen). YES has four floors, with a club in the basement, bar/restaurant on the ground floor, the 'Pink Room' live space on the first floor and a roof terrace. It's kind of trying to do what the Hacienda did wehen it first started (minus the hiardressing salon, and hopefully not putting the owners into crippling debt). It is a pretty cool place, I was impressed. Beforehand I nipped into Home to see Being Frank, the Frank S

First on were Blossomer, a four-piece from Sheffield who do a sort of electronics and jangly guitar dream pop thing with male falsetto vocals. Apparently they have been on hiatus for the last 3 years and are just getting back into gigging - they need to sort their sound mix out (they seem to have been doing it themselves from the stage). YES' Pink Room has a system with very powerful bass drivers, and Blossomer had the bass from their synth bass and drum machine turned up so high the whole room was resonating (the change in the till was rattling) and you could barely hear anything else. Not really the right conditions for putting their delicate sounding songs across.

New p was currentmoodgirl, a.k.a Greta Edith. Her music is a curious blend of heavy duty percussive electronica with avant-garde flute and steel drums, and Kate Bush/Bjork/Beth Gibbons-style vocal acrobatics. Having listened to the tracks on her Soundcloud they don't really do her live act justice. She started off performing kneeling on the stage, but eventually stood up with mic in hand, gyrating across while performing focal acrobatics. It was a very confrontational at times, such as on He Or She, where she was dressed in bikini top, miniskirt and DMs while singing 'Don't look at me that way!' building up to an almost screeching creshendo. Highlight of the set though was her unique take of Bowie's China Girl, which owed noting to the original but some lyrics. I would recommend catching her if you get the chance.

Then it was time for TVAM to take to the stage. Mr. Oxley now has a keyboard player to assist in his live shows, but the 1980s school-like large CRT telly and VHS player still take centre stage (the whole show is cued from it, and it provided the backing tracks in suitably lo-fi style). No sound problems for them either, but they do produce a massive wall of noise from the combination of tape, keyboard and Joe's effects-drenched guitar and vocals. with 'Gas And Air' and 'Porsche Majure' pummelling you into submission. Some of his older garage rock style tracks like No Explanations are given a new dimension the by the addition of the synth player. The set was closed with a face-melting version of the album closer Total Immersion, which built into a blistering wall of noise..

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: buzby on April 14, 2019, 01:01:50 AM
Went to see TVAM at YES in Manchester tonight.

The venue is a new one to me - its a converted auctioneers on Charles St next door to the Lass O' Gowrie pub and over the road from the Factory's office building that helped to bankrupt the m(not also a club,with a reputation for thugs as doormen). YES has four floors, with a club in the basement, bar/restaurant on the ground floor, the 'Pink Room' live space on the first floor and a roof terrace.

I like they way the Pinkness of the Pink room extends into the pink tiles of toilet. Well, the boys' ones anyway, Dunno about the ladies.

alan nagsworth

The other night I went to a gig that paid tribute to the late Caleb Scofield, bassist/vocalist and member of Cave In, Old Man Gloom and Zozobra, who died in a terrible road accident last year. The lineup was Bossk, Old Man Gloom and Cave In, in that order. It was early doors for some bastard annoying reason (mate it's Friday, come on) and so even heading to Camden directly from work, I still missed Bossk and only got in about 20 mins before OMG played.

OMG were the band I paid to see, though; I've wanted to catch them for years, ever since their album Christmas first blew my head off, and I'm pleased that they didn't disappoint at all. Fantastic show. Aaron Turner is an absolute metal god.

Cave In, however... meh. It's taken me long enough to even see the appeal of them for some reason, and only over the last couple weeks have I come around to really liking Jupiter and Antenna, but... man, they just weren't doing it for me on stage. I'm sure the swathes of extremely eager fans would be quite irked to know I stood there straight-faced and inanimate for the whole set, but whatever.

grassbath

Quote from: king_tubby on April 13, 2019, 08:17:32 PM
Enjoyed Terry Riley last night.

Me too! At times when Riley Sr was on the piano I wished he would hold back a little more and give the guitar some space. Mind you he's eighty-something, and generally they absolutely cooked. The second piece especially was beautiful.

I was a bit distracted by an 'ostentatiously involved' middle aged guy in front of me though who was sitting right up at the front of his seat leaning over the balcony like an eager dog, and when each piece ended would hold his hands apart a few seconds early in anticipation, then clap as hard as he possibly could.

grassbath

Anyone else got tickets for Yo La Tengo on the Freewheeling Tour?

king_tubby

grassbath, you know the 'ostentatiously involved' middle aged guy who repeatedly bellowed 'encore' after they finished? He was sat behind my mates and they said he talked all the way through. The fuck.

At the time, despite enjoying the Riley performance immensely, I was a bit annoyed that it clashed with the GZA doing Liquid Swords that night. However, after reading the comments on the Facebook event for it, not annoyed any more.

https://www.facebook.com/events/313055999296741/?active_tab=discussion

easytarget

Baptists and Sandrider on Friday. Squeeeee, lads, fucking squeeee. yeah? Squeee

Sleep are playing here in Brighton in Oct. Can't fucking wait

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on April 15, 2019, 01:26:11 PM
Sleep are playing here in Brighton in Oct. Can't fucking wait

I wouldn't mind catching them again myself. I mean I've heard loud bass at gigs before and I've been like "right yeah, that was loud bass, got it", but then I saw Sleep and I had to completely tear up the meticulous rule book I had written on the entire subject.

alan nagsworth

Daughters last night at the Dome, Tufnell Park. This one had been bumped from the original venue - the Lexington - due to popular demand, and I'm sort of glad it did. I can't imagine a gig like that occurring in a venue that small without the building itself collapsing under the sheer intensity of it. Absolutely fucking wild. The singer, with his trailer park mini-mullet, piercing eyes, and scabs on his forehead from what I can only assume are previous gig antics, shoving the microphone down his throat and dribbling bile everywhere, was enigmatic and terrifying. By the last two or three songs I'd lost my moshing energy and I stood back in total awe of how extraordinarily fierce the performance was. They do serious stage justice to the ferocity of their recorded sound. Exceptional. I fucking love them.

jobotic

Think they played Ramsgate Music Hall the other day, which is fucking tiny. Much smaller than the Lexington. Blimey

alan nagsworth

Christ I bet that was batshit

non capisco

The obscene lolling of the guitarist from Daughters' oversized tongue will pepper my nightmares forever on.

I also thought they were terrific. As much of most if not all of it was rock 'n' roll chicanery and performative charlatanism I've seldom seen a band with such a rancorous and malevolent stage presence. They nearly convinced me they had nothing but utter black-hearted contempt for everyone in the room. It was a total thrill.

They also vie with The Stranglers as the band that look most like a gaggle of genuine wrong 'uns. All curled lips, dried scabs and strings of sputum. Neil from Chart Music would not want these cats to make him a sandwich. 

easytarget

Am I right that Fucked and Bound were the opening act for Daughters on their uk tour?
They put out a cracking grindcore record last year - how were they live?

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: jobotic on April 21, 2019, 02:27:20 PM
Think they played Ramsgate Music Hall the other day, which is fucking tiny. Much smaller than the Lexington. Blimey
Yes they did.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: easytarget on April 21, 2019, 06:35:23 PM
Am I right that Fucked and Bound were the opening act for Daughters on their uk tour?
They put out a cracking grindcore record last year - how were they live?

No, at the Dome it was some rubbish garage rock band called Jessica93. I had a cursory glance on Spotify the day before the gig and quickly surmised they were absolutely not worth bothering with.

non capisco

Some absolutely spanking arena rock greatest hits action from Hall and Oates last night, I don't know if any of the rest of you hip young gunslingers were there as well. It was an utterly joyous purpose built non stop banger assault. I adore Hall and Oates but I've never seen them live before and part of me was worried they might pull some 'here's some songs off our new album' bullshit. I've been Byrned before with these legacy acts and their habit of opening with some favourites and then giving you forty unbroken minutes of some weak ass recent shite, naming no names. Needn't have worried with my boys H&O. Have Maneater! Follow that up with some Family Man! How about some Out Of Touch to go with that? How about Rich Girl, Kiss On My List, Private Eyes and You Make My Dreams ALL IN A ROW? They also did their cover of You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling and of course I couldn't resist doing a Paul Shane "Baby Bay-BEH!" at the appropriate moment, because I am a cool and funny guy. What a radiant evening!

alan nagsworth