Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:54:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

At YES in Manchester again tonight (after meeting with Shoulders & co. at the Market Tavern) to see Stealing Sheep on the tour for their new album Big Wows. Having got the album the other day, it's progressing down the electronica route they started heading down on their previous album Not Real. Having seen them before when Not Real came out, there was a bit of a multi-instrumental thing going on, where Emily would play guitar and keys, Luciana had a wide variety of different percussion instruments (though all three of them would play percussion at some point) and Rebecca would play keys.

Their current setup is a bit more of a conventional band, with Emily playing bass guitar, Luciana behind a full drumkit and Rebecca with a synth. The change marks a change in their sound too - despite their new album being more electronic synth-pop, their live sound is more disco-funk, with Luciana and Emily locked together into a pretty slick rhythm section (if anything, it reminds me a lot of Soulwax's similar transformation from their Nite Versions album onwards). Luciana in particular has become a bit of a powerhouse drummer. It also means the songs have a very different feel to how they are presented on the album too, for the better I think.

The themes of their new show appears to be they are alien robots beamed down to entertain us, with them dressed in matching gold glitter bodysuits and 'space' glasses.  Like previous times i've seen them, there are also dance routines integrated into the opening, closing and mid-set break. you can get an idea of what to expect from this performance of new track Joking Me from the BBC 6 Music festival in Liverpool a few weeks ago.

The change in performing style was also reflected in their older tracks which have been reworked to fit with their new set. Genevieve and Apparition have been given a bit of a funky makeover, and the encore was a long-form medley of Sequence and Not Real from thier last album (complete with pow-pow synth toms), with the latter morphing into Last Night A DJ Saved My Life in the middle (again, something very reminiscent of Soulwax's m.o.), before gathering at the front of the stage to sing and dance to a new rendition of old favourite Shut Eye and asking the crowd to move forward to the front of the stage so Emily could take a Polaroid of us.

The main thing was that it was just so much fun - the ladies were obviously having a whale of a time performing and that rubs off on the crowd too After the encore when they let the 'robot' theme slip and  came up front to interact with the crowd was just joyous

kittens

had a terrific time watching them tonight buzbo. got my gf a signed record and thanked them for a great show about a decade ago at 2000 trees. good fun.

Crabwalk

I've been a bit sniffy about the reformed Suede but, by Christ, they were fantastic tonight in Cambridge.

I expected the show to have the deadly whiff of nostalgia about it, but they attacked the old stuff with venom, and the newer material has a lot of heart to it and really landed.

Brett Anderson performed like his life depended on it and had a ripped to fuck shirt after about 3 songs. I bet it wasn't a cheap one either.

Crabwalk

Oh, and BC Camplight was really good in support, despite pretty awful sound.

alan nagsworth

Couple of bank holiday bangers this weekend for me.

On Friday, I finally had the pleasure of seeing The Bad Plus, and in a church no less! Church gigs, mate! They were fucking exceptional, just a completely faultless and stunning performance. We turned up early and got arguably the best seats in the house, front left with a great view of the piano keys. They played a stellar set of their own material and encored with their cover of Aphex Twin's "Flim" - I was grinning from ear to ear. It was so good it cured my hangover, I ain't even lyin'.

Here they are, from where I was:

Then last night, I dubiously and quite tiredly ventured to Camden to see French beat maestro Onra. I fucking love Onra's "Chinoiseries" album trilogy and consider it to be something of a high water mark in boom bap instrumental hip hop, but I was worried. The gig was a late one: doors were 22:30 and Onra didn't take the stage till around 1:00, and I was concerned it was going to be a club-orientated set. You know, the ones where your cherished studio producers come out and inexplicably play a load of fucking deep house (I'm looking at you, Shackleton).

I needn't have worried, though, because his 90 minute set was blinding and tremendously fun. He started with a load of French "touch" and disco stuff, super slick repetitious and synth heavy stuff. My mate and I agreed that it wasn't quite what we wanted, but it was fucking great nonetheless, but no sooner had we remarked this when yer man launched into a load of "Chinoiseries" beats and had the crowd going wild. I was intermittently honking on my pal's weed vape pen thing so I was stoned as the dickens and I just bloody lapped the whole thing up.

jobotic

Blimey, I'm seeing Stereolab at the Ramsgate Music Hall later this month. It's probably smaller than anywhere they've ever played.

Cuellar

Was meant to be going to see Hen Ogledd on the 18th in Reading but now I have to go to Cirencester for an in-law family birthday thing :(

THE MOUNTAIN GOATS are playing in Shepherd's Bush in November (I think) so I'm seriously considering that

holyzombiejesus

Went to see William Tyler in Todmorden last week. I really enjoyed it although it's tricky with this kind of stuff (virtuoso Fahey style guitaring) to know where enjoying stops and admiring begins. WT came the right side I think. I've subsequently bought 4 albums so I must have liked it. Was going to see the Essex Green in Manchester tonight but it's drizzling and I won't get home til gone midnight and I can't face late nights any more.

alan nagsworth

Fans of heavy music, rejoice! The almighty avant-jazz metal band ZU have announced a 10th anniversary show for their album Carboniferous at the Lexington, London, on August 13! It's a mere £15 so if you fancy joining me in getting your arsehole torn open by a baritone saxophone then please, be my guest. Holy fuck this is exciting news.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: jobotic on May 08, 2019, 04:39:33 PM
Blimey, I'm seeing Stereolab at the Ramsgate Music Hall later this month. It's probably smaller than anywhere they've ever played.
Gah! Sold out by the time I got around to it. That's gonna be BRILLIANNNNNNNNT!!!!

fat_abbott

Bill Callahan in Edinburgh in October. Excited, in a downbeat sort of way.

Artie Fufkin

Mull Historical Society next week. Not overly impressed with the new album, tbh. But he's got Bernard Butler playing with him, so going in with an open mind.

holyzombiejesus

James Yorkston on Thursday evening. I love this man's records and his debut album is one of my favourites ever. Live he can be spellbinding BUT he really fancies himself as a bit of a raconteur. The fucking crowd lap it up to. Last time i saw him, a horrible crusty man smiled at me, raised his glass of whisky and said "To Mr Yorkston!", which made my arse twitch uncontrollably. He does that thing where he'll tell a story and absent-mindedly strum his guitar, like Stewart Lee did on one of the Comedy Vehicles. Worse still is when he turns one of his 'anecdotes' in to a song. I'm being harsh though, the gig's in the lovely Trades Club, it's seated, I get discounted beer and my wife's looking after our baby the next morning so I can get a little bit pissed. Must remember not to shout Les Battersby at him again though.

dmillburn

Caught Kuunatic last night, supporting Hibushibire at the Sunflower Lounge in Brum. I'm not really a fan of Hibushibire (too much widdle and not enough riffs for me, plus one song sounds like  Ocean Colour Scene) but Kuunatic were superb. If you get a chance to catch them over the next few days I'd thoroughly recommend it.

SteveDave

I'm playing with Wreckless Eric tonight and tomorrow and I'm very excited. He might take over as my spiritual dad from Robyn Hitchcock who, to be fair, I was never that close to.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: SteveDave on May 17, 2019, 12:25:32 AM
I'm playing with Wreckless Eric tonight and tomorrow and I'm very excited. He might take over as my spiritual dad from Robyn Hitchcock who, to be fair, I was never that close to.

Do a Felt/ Denim cover.

SteveDave

jobotic

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on May 11, 2019, 10:17:17 AM
Gah! Sold out by the time I got around to it. That's gonna be BRILLIANNNNNNNNT!!!!

Sending you a PM

Artie Fufkin

Ornlu

Quote from: dmillburn on May 16, 2019, 01:54:21 PM
Caught Kuunatic last night, supporting Hibushibire at the Sunflower Lounge in Brum. I'm not really a fan of Hibushibire (too much widdle and not enough riffs for me, plus one song sounds like  Ocean Colour Scene) but Kuunatic were superb. If you get a chance to catch them over the next few days I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Went to check out these lot in Manchester's dingy Peer Hat last night, mostly on the strength of this post's recommendation. Some real crazy-good minimalist, harmonised, guitar-less experimental rock, and all three of them are cute as a button.

fat_abbott

Jason Lytle of Grandaddy at The Cluny in Newcastle, great venue, top set.

All pared back and on piano, with a couple of tracks on acoustic guitar, it was quite a thing. Grown men crying and that.

Artie Fufkin

Mull Historical Society @ Shepherds Bush Bush Hall last night was amazing. Lovely little venue to watch a show like that. Brendan Butler was superb, his technique is up there with the best. Colin MacIntyre's voice was beautiful. Preferred his live voice to his recorded voice, actually. Had to chose to miss the last 15 minutes due to crappy London transport which was somewhat annoying.

hummingofevil

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 15, 2019, 12:11:41 PM
James Yorkston on Thursday evening. I love this man's records and his debut album is one of my favourites ever. Live he can be spellbinding BUT he really fancies himself as a bit of a raconteur. The fucking crowd lap it up to. Last time i saw him, a horrible crusty man smiled at me, raised his glass of whisky and said "To Mr Yorkston!", which made my arse twitch uncontrollably. He does that thing where he'll tell a story and absent-mindedly strum his guitar, like Stewart Lee did on one of the Comedy Vehicles. Worse still is when he turns one of his 'anecdotes' in to a song. I'm being harsh though, the gig's in the lovely Trades Club, it's seated, I get discounted beer and my wife's looking after our baby the next morning so I can get a little bit pissed. Must remember not to shout Les Battersby at him again though.

Is he still with the three piece with him and him (can't remember names now). They are great live. Also you have the bonus of knowing that if he plays Broken Wave (he always plays Broken Wave) you will definitely burst into floods of the saddest fucking tears. Every time.

jobotic

Anyone going to Wooden Shjips in Brixton tomorrow? I am, mainly for  night out with some friends. Not entirely my bag but should be fun.

Quote from: fat_abbott on May 21, 2019, 08:04:20 AM
Jason Lytle of Grandaddy at The Cluny in Newcastle, great venue, top set.

All pared back and on piano, with a couple of tracks on acoustic guitar, it was quite a thing. Grown men crying and that.

The Cluny is a great venue. I was there last weekend to see Gong and Ed Wynne Band, superb night.

Off to see The Orb tomorrow night in Stockton-on-Tees

Famous Mortimer

The Hives and Refused, which was jolly nice to see. They're both still really good, although the new material they both played wasn't quite up to snuff with their classic stuff.

hummingofevil

Anyone going to Primavera Sound?

fat_abbott

Special K - Any report on the Orb, I nearly went then thought I could do without watching a bloke press play on a 50 minute pre recorded "live" set. Prove me incorrect.

Pretty much on the money. Two blokes, Alex Paterson on FX & decks and some bloke half his age running Ableton on his iMac. They were on for a good 2 hours with a solid setlist including Blue Room, Towers of Dub, Pulsating Brain, Star 6, 7 8 & 9 and Little Fluffy Clouds. There were a few moments between tracks with ambient interludes which brought the crowd down but once they pushed the beats up, everyone was dancing. They suffered from drowning everything in FX which made the sound muddy in places but overall a good night.

When acts who's albums you've been listening to for 25 years play on your doorstep for the price of a few beers, it would be rude not to go.

jobotic

Stereolab in Ramsgate tonight. They meant more to me than any other band in my late teens and early twenties. I approached with trepidation despite wearing my 27 years old t-shirt like a wanker.

No need for any trepidation, they were as good as they ever were back then. Absolutely joyous. Finished with Jenny Ondiolone.

If you're going next month you're in for a treat and if you're going to Brighton see you there.