Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:06:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

Quote from: jobotic on May 30, 2019, 12:36:59 AM
Stereolab in Ramsgate tonight. They meant more to me than any other band in my late teens and early twenties. I approached with trepidation despite wearing my 27 years old t-shirt like a wanker.

No need for any trepidation, they were as good as they ever were back then. Absolutely joyous. Finished with Jenny Ondiolone.

If you're going next month you're in for a treat and if you're going to Brighton see you there.

I am seeing them at Primavera in two days time. I am wet with excitment anyway but I would be more than grateful if you could inform me whether or not the finishing with a half-hour kraut-freak out. Diolch.

Moreover, on the "Mary" songs what are they doing? Are they just letting the crowd fill the gaps like they did in mid 2000's, have a replacement or not playing them?

Sorry. I just really want to know. I'm so excited to see them again.

non capisco

If you're going next month you're in for a treat

Yay, glad to hear they were ace! I'll be at the first London night, can't ber-luddy wait.

hummingofevil

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByD_aSoHo9s/?igshid=1x991mdrrsav3

Did they not do John Cage Bubblegum?

If they play Lo Boob Oscillator in Barca I'm going to lose my shit. I fucking love that song.  And a 3 min Jenny Ondioline is fine but a 30 min version will make me wet my fucking pants.

non capisco

^ Clicked on that, saw it was a setlist, quickly averted my eyes.

hummingofevil

Quote from: non capisco on May 30, 2019, 01:02:01 AM
^ Clicked on that, saw it was a setlist, quickly averted my eyes.

Soz pal. Its exactly what I want to know. Genuinely sorry if you avoiding spoilers.

hummingofevil

I don't care which song they do it to I just NEED a 10 min kraut break out.

jobotic

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 30, 2019, 12:42:30 AM
I am seeing them at Primavera in two days time. I am wet with excitment anyway but I would be more than grateful if you could inform me whether or not the finishing with a half-hour kraut-freak out. Diolch.

Moreover, on the "Mary" songs what are they doing? Are they just letting the crowd fill the gaps like they did in mid 2000's, have a replacement or not playing them?

Sorry. I just really want to know. I'm so excited to see them again.

Not quite half an hour but it was Jenny Ondiolone that they finished with. They right went for it during the Krauty bit at the end of Lo Boob Oscillator too. Went on for quite a while.

The Mary bits were done by the male bass player and male keyboard player and they did a fine job too. I should know their names but don't sorry.

I'll write a bit more tomorrow. They did two nights and having seen last night's playlist I preffered tonight's. No John Cage Bubblegum (shame) but we got Crest as well as Jenny. Even the ones I was never that keen on like Metronomic Underground, were great.

non capisco

Quote from: hummingofevil on May 30, 2019, 01:03:48 AM
Soz pal. Its exactly what I want to know. Genuinely sorry if you avoiding spoilers.

Ah, no bother pal. I only clocked one song which I would have been staggered if they didn't play anyway!

jobotic

I have to go to bed but I'm buzzing.

I didn't even break down remembering the girlfriend I went to the old gigs with. Oh, hang on...

hummingofevil

I love you guys. Just remember that.

Stereolab in Ramsgate tonight. They meant more to me than any other band in my late teens and early twenties. I approached with trepidation despite wearing my 27 years old t-shirt like a wanker.

No need for any trepidation, they were as good as they ever were back then. Absolutely joyous. Finished with Jenny Ondiolone.

If you're going next month you're in for a treat and if you're going to Brighton see you there.

Oh yes, that's what I wanted to hear!  Roll on June 21st.

hummingofevil

Day 1 of Primavera pretty strong. Just had a wander so saw bits and pieces. Really enjoyed Courtney Barrett, Nas played all the classics and Sigrid went even more up in my estimation. Interpol were as average as I remembered but Erykah Badu was awesome even though we skipped away to catch the second half of Sophie which was a whole load of fun on the beach. Charlie a XCX proved is just mesmerising though she front loaded her set with the bangers and then sat and chilled and listened to Jarvis DJing (he played King Wasp by Add N to X if I didn't love him enough already). FKA Twiggs was really good but it was a bit late for her slow-mo ambient lushness. Definitely need to check out more.

I really wanted to stay for Nina Kravitz but we've had a 22 hour day already so I bought my good boyfriend chip that i am cashing in on Saturday night was no way am I missing Avalon Emerson djing on beach as Sun comes up.

Oh and the sound systems are insanely good. The sound carries and is crisp and loud with full range without being boomy or unpleasant. How they avoid sound bleeding into other stages is quite remarkable. Two thumbs up so far. I've walked fucking miles though.

It's hardly relèvent as if festivals are booking on merit there would be a majority of females as they smashing the man at music but it is so good to see so many excellent female acts. Ask me again in 3 days but it makes a for a way nicer audience too. Nice vibes so far.

hummingofevil

So Day 2.

Carly Rae was everything you would want her to be. Oh my heart. Made better that ended up in the stan-section with all the gentlemen singing along. Which normally I would hate at gigs but the enthusiasm was so infectious. She obviously loves Call Me Maybe so much and it just makes her a wonderful, wonderful person and performer.

Janelle Monae. Always been someone I want to like more than I actually like her music and kind of proved it for first half. Just a bit dull despite the awesome choreography, backing dancers and set. But then we got pynk and make me feel and the set just became more and more engaging. By end I was totally won over. Tightrope too.

Suede. I was too young for Suede, loved Dog Man Star, Hayes how they disowned it after Bernard left and found their chart-success period bland but they were on top, top form. Brett is as good as ever and the sound of the band is so consistent that the early, new and Beautiful Ones-era all seem to exist as part of the canon. Not my favourite band but cracking stuff.

Low. One of the weird and bold things about this festival is the programming. FKA Twiggs at 3am, Low at midnight. Well they were insanely good. Mainly new album stuff but they absolutely entranced the audience (I've never seen a stand-up festival crowd so quiet before - the odd talker at the back you could hère their conversations). The new stuff seems far less crushingly distorted live and more like proper Low songs (songs that are purposely submerged into the mix on the album) but they did a 15 min noise breakdown that was an incredible experience. Intense, beautiful and urgent. Wow.

Caught a bit of Aldous Harding (?). Sounded really, really good but had to fuck off. Last 20 mins of Tame Impala. Yeah. Okay. Fine. Not for me.

Then we had Robyn. Was hoping it wouldn't be boring and I would enjoy Dancing On My Own but oh how underestimated her. Set ranged from 80s power pop to 90's infused house bangers but by 45 mins in it felt more like a DJ set than a gig. The staging and production (she was accompanied by a dancer for most of the show) was beautiful and I was more than satisfied dancing away at the back. Then her final act was Dancing On My Own, Miss You and something early I can't recall name of and it felt like a proper headline smash. One of the real highlights of this festival is how many groups of younger women and/or gay guys are just hanging out having fun and watching hundreds of people file out past me beaming still singing along will stay with me. A genuine pleasure.

Then sat and watched Mura M (I can't remember the name - London producer). Was fine but tired so off I fucked.

What an ace festival. Special mention has to go to sound techs though. It helps that everyone on has been brilliant vocally but the rigs all sound clean and crisp and can literally fill a giant field but the sound quality is superb. Like listening to music through your fav speakers. There is some clever shit going on.

jobotic

See on paper none of those would interest me much but the way you write it up it sounds wonderful.

hummingofevil

Day 3

After a weekend of pop and confirmed: girls running the world (more later) was nice to have Shellac remind us all that three piece rock bands can still be great. I've always loved the groove that Shellac can produce and in their own idiosyncratic way I find them one of the most danceable bands. They SOUND great obviously but Albini seems to be more and more open to pushing the boat out as far as performance goes and the I'm A Plane routine (it was more a routine than a song was as funny as it was fun) was great entertainment. And that guitar sound never gets old.

Which brings me to Lizzo. Fuck me. Pause. Avalon Emerson just come on. More later.

(Cont.)

As someone who is rather partial to the art form that is professional wrestling it is pertinent at this point to use a grappling term to describe Lizzo: she is OVER. Like, PROPERLY over! About 30s before she came out she very briefly appeared in darkness in depths of the stage and the screams went up and the very female chants of "LI-ZZO, LI-ZZO". We then got an offstage shout of "WHAT'S UP BITCHES?" from the woman herself and an full on sonic blast of instrumental fanfare. On she slayed, resplendent  in her pink sparkly frock and blitzed straight into Cuz I Love You and that was that - crowd won. Sorry for writing so much about the first 30s but it really was THAT good. She was accompanied throughout by her "big women" backing dancers who are as athletic as they are body positive; DJ Sophie was flawless in providing the awesome backing tracks that pick from house, trap, hip-hop, soûl and old-school Miami Bass and her mid song patter is genuinely hilarious and uplifting. She commented that this 5000 strong crowd was the biggest she'd ever played in front of and on this performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's the smallest crowd she will ever play in front of again. She is an absolute megastar in the making. President Lizzo indeed. Just spellbinding.

Wandered around beach for a bit. Hiroglyphic  Being was the plan but wasn't feeling the four-to-the-floor blasties so headed off back to main park. Caught Primal Scream playing a few classics but all seemed  a bit pedestrian and the performances didn't really hold up. Quite poor really.

So on to CupcakKe. I knew all about CupcakKe but to see the utter filth in action is quite a magnificent sight. Musically, it's pretty straight old-school hip hop and it's just her and her DJ but and the quality of her voice and flow (sorry - feel like a right nerd writing that - she is a right good rapper, right!) is excellent. But what takes her over the edge is the sheer magnitude of the utter filth she condenses into her lyrics. Yes she is funny, yes it's provocative but to come up with that many lines about sucking dick and eating ass in a 45 min set is remarkable. The heavily gay crowd, erm, lapped it up.

It's been nearly 20 years since I last saw Stereolab and despite having been utterly obsessed with them around Emperor Tomato Ketchup and Dots And Loops there are albums post-Mary dying that I still to this day haven't listened to. It was all just to sad. For first half of set I still got that vibe and the guy on bass doing Mary's vocals just didn't feel right. Even French Disko didn't quite click with me. But about 35 mins in the hit Ping Pong and they were off. John Cage Bubblegum, Percolator and final an epic 15 min Lo Boob Oscillator just brought back all the memories of why I loved them so much in the first place. Now that slightly odd first gig is out the way for me I can relax and can't wait to see the extended set on your.

Rest of the night was just floating around. Saw most of Danny L Harle's short set. Blods on here described some of PC Musics output as having "obnoxious elements". DLH takes those and rinses them to the max - it's the EDM is fine to love but I'm not going to argue with you if you hate it. Everything chucked in from breaks to hardcore, a bit of trance, gabba; chopped, pitched vocals and just a blast of everything that was 90s dance. I said to my pal that it was a 2 hour set in 45 mins. I loved it TBH and if nothing else watching the excited European crowd around me trying to remember the jump-style rave dances with varying levels of success tickled me. Carly Rae never showed but he did encore with Supernatural which was lush. Nice to see how the PC Music influence as subtlety spread across the acts from the mental dance stage to the pop godesess.

Saw last 20 mins of Roisin Murphy and wish I'd seen more. Seemed like a great set of full-on tunes. Headed to beach to see out the weekend with a bit of techno but by time Avalon Emerson came on at half 4 my dodgy back and lack of assisted stimulation was taking its toll. The 20 mins we lasted was cracking though. Need to get to see her properly some time.

That me done and done-in. Laters.

alan nagsworth

Enjoyed reading about your experience, pal, thanks for sharing!

Sebastian Cobb

I've got Nick Lowe and HMHB next week then Stereolab the week after. Everything's coming up Cobb.

alan nagsworth

Yeah, the next couple weeks are looking spicy for me too. The sublime, bright, brilliantly inventive rising star Tierra Whack tomorrow night, and then Matmos and Stereolab next Tuesday and Wednesday respectively. Three gigs of wonderfully forward thinking and fun artists. Yaaasss.

hummingofevil

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 02, 2019, 05:58:21 PM
Yeah, the next couple weeks are looking spicy for me too. The sublime, bright, brilliantly inventive rising star Tierra Whack tomorrow night, and then Matmos and Stereolab next Tuesday and Wednesday respectively. Three gigs of wonderfully forward thinking and fun artists. Yaaasss.

I think I caught a bit of Tierra Whack as walking past. Whack-as-fuck! Obviously. But sounded really good. :)

hummingofevil

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 02, 2019, 05:28:27 PM
Enjoyed reading about your experience, pal, thanks for sharing!

Cheers. Enjoy writing about these things. Better than taking photos.

king_tubby

Femi Kuti on Thursday and then Hey! Colossus the weekend after.

SteveDave

I've got the Flamin' Groovies on Friday playing "Teenage Head" with Roy Loney singing. It's looking increasingly likely that I won't be able to go though. Don't have kids everyone.

Artie Fufkin

Like, wow. Steve Hillage on Thursday. Boomshanka!

Calistan

Bought tickets for Mclusky* in Dublin before they announced they're also doing a Belfast gig. So will go to both I imagine.

Also tempted to buy tickets for Bill Callahan as I've been slowly dipping into his music the past two or three years.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Calistan on June 03, 2019, 08:47:28 PM
Bought tickets for Mclusky* in Dublin before they announced they're also doing a Belfast gig. So will go to both I imagine.

If you've not seen them since they split I can tell you they're every bit as fun despite missing the original bassist. Caught them a couple years ago and it was a total hits set and Falco was on top form with the stage banter. I was sweating buckets after that one.

SteveDave

I'm going to see Liam Gallagher in the Round Chapel on Lower Clapton Road tonight. I'm excited. Mad for it. Top. Top.

alan nagsworth

Tierra Whack was an absolute joy to behold at the Village Underground, my favourite venue, on Monday night. Her set consisted of basically every song she's done to date, including every minute-long track from last year's remarkable Whack World audiovisual album.

Wearing a dress with a wordsearch print (and calling up audience members on two occasions to find a word and circle it first to win merch), she came out and commanded the stage and audience from start to finish with a beaming energy that didn't let up for a second. Her rapping is absolutely on point and barely relied on the backing track at all (unlike a lot of rap shows), as she and her DJ bounced about the stage telling the crowd dance moves and having the best dang old time. I could not stop smiling.

They cheekily claimed it was the best show they'd ever played, but the way they presented themselves and fed off the energy of the crowd - which was LIVELY - you'd not be blamed for believing them. Being amongst so many people going absolutely nuts for songs that are literally 60 seconds long was fantastic.

Hilariously, the support act was a Cardi B loaded DJ set from none other than Tim "I FEEL YA LADIES IN THE FRONT ROW" Westwood, 61 years old and still doing his level best to rock the crowd. He was wandering about sort of aimlessly after the gig, where I grabbed one of Whack's free custom made wordsearch/pen combos, and when we left there was a team handing out Whack Snacks, which were just unseasoned chips wrapped in custom designed paper, but hey the gesture was nice! Free shit!

Seriously if you've not had the immense pleasure of watching Whack World yet, set aside 15 minutes for this thing. It's an extremely exciting and creative project from a very promising young hip hop talent.

Duckula

Primavera was dead good. 

Highlights: Danny Brown, FKA Twigs, Charlie XCX, Midori Takada, Tim Hecker, Fucked Up, Lizzo, Low
Meh: Guided by Voices, Snail Mail

Lowlights: The stage on the beach and trying to get anywhere in the sand.

Boo: Moving all the cool poster stalls and band merch to make way for Primavera's marketing overlords, getting surveyed on the site for how aware we were of the brands being shoved down our throats made it worse.