Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:01:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

Quote from: Duckula on June 05, 2019, 06:06:11 PM
Primavera was dead good. 

Highlights: Danny Brown, FKA Twigs, Charlie XCX, Midori Takada, Tim Hecker, Fucked Up, Lizzo, Low
Meh: Guided by Voices, Snail Mail

Lowlights: The stage on the beach and trying to get anywhere in the sand.

Boo: Moving all the cool poster stalls and band merch to make way for Primavera's marketing overlords, getting surveyed on the site for how aware we were of the brands being shoved down our throats made it worse.

I did giggle at Stereolab stating that Ping Pong was a "song about the evils of captialism" whilst having a giant Ray Ban advert beamed across the stage.

hummingofevil

Robyn's full set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7eQkwfaAOg

My girlfriend (who is no music fan - her current jams are the Macarena and Black Lace's Superman- over and over again - I think she has the symdrome that she accuses me of having) and listens to music on her phone (the daft twat)  has listened to nothing but Robyn since we got back ... it really was THAT good.

From 43:00 on is fucking awesome.

Artie Fufkin

Hillage was great last night. His voice is somewhat shot, but fuck me, that boy can still play guitar.
Great slideshow-y backdrop psychedelic thang going on, too. Started off with photos of the world spinning into disaster that ended with THAT The Young Ones scene, just before they all started playing. Light In The Sky was my highlight.

hummingofevil

More Primavera. The full Low set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGAkIt5-jo

They have captured the vibes perfectly with these videos but the sound quality if off. But, my god, they were great live being there.

The noise breakdown starts around 29 mins. It's fucking incredible.

Calistan

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 04, 2019, 07:29:56 AM
If you've not seen them since they split I can tell you they're every bit as fun despite missing the original bassist. Caught them a couple years ago and it was a total hits set and Falco was on top form with the stage banter. I was sweating buckets after that one.

I never saw the original line-up. Once saw FotL play in a boat off Bristol which was great fun. Also just realising that there's a big beer festival on that weekend so it's likely I'll have to forgo one of those gigs unless I decide to show up monstrously drunk.

Pere Ubu announced a Dublin show too, as part of a farewell tour apparently. I have about four or five of their albums and thoroughly enjoy at least two of them. Worth going to see?

Flouncer

I've been to see Meat Puppets twice this week. The first time was in Leeds; a few months ago my mate saw that I was interested on Facebook so he asked me if I'd like to go with him and I booked the tickets. The gig was at Brudenell Social Club. It was a lovely venue; proper friendly Working Mens Club vibe. We arrived just as the support was finishing and found a good spot. I was surprised to find they'd got a keyboard player (and a second guitarist); it was advertised as the original line-up - their drummer Derrick Bostrom hadn't played with them for more than twenty years until recently - so I'd expected it to be just the three of them.

They were absolutely fantastic! Curt Kirkwood's voice has matured nicely from the youthful warble I'm familiar with (I've only heard two of their albums, Meat Puppets II and Up On the Sun from the mid-eighties, the former being one of my all-time favourites); still recognisably the same voice with a grizzled, growly quality. His guitar tone was instantly recognisable, drenched in spiralling analog delay. Cris is a solid and engaging bass player, clearly enjoying himself and really getting into the improvisational bits. The new keyboard player stole the show at times; he was a great when soloing and was really sympathetic and skilful with his supporting parts. The drummer seemed a bit unsure of the structure of some songs and was communicating with the keyboard player a lot, but it didn't detract from his performance.

They played plenty of songs off the two albums I know; I didn't know the first one they played but second was 'Oh, Me', which was wonderful to hear live. Curt was initially having trouble with some feedback in the monitors and angrily told the soundman to turn them off, but once this issue was sorted and the keyboard player signalled that he could hear himself properly, they really started to cook. The crowd was getting into it; they were going mad for the early songs (particularly the ones associated with Nirvana), but were also getting into the less familiar, more country-inflected material - I said to my mate afterwards that it said a lot about their performance that many of the songs I enjoyed most were ones I didn't know.

I particularly loved one tune, a trippy instrumental with an eastern tinged guitar riff that veered off into a long, intense improvisation. I truly drifted off into the music and had a bit of a moment during that one; it reminded me of seeing Gong when I was younger! 'Lost' turned into a lengthy instrumental jam reminiscent of The Grateful Dead which the keyboard player really went to town on, and the title track from 'Up On the Sun' culminated in an avant-garde, delay driven wall of sound that was almost uncomfortably loud and intense. The set went on for more than 90 minutes. Towards the end, 'Lake of Fire' was starting to be conspicuous by its absence, and seemed certain to be the finale when they finally played it. They foxed us by finishing with another song with which I wasn't familiar. The crowd were very enthusiastic and wanted an encore but either the band were knackered after the marathon set or there was a noise curfew issue as the venue is in amongst a housing estate.

It was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. The band were really into it and so were the crowd; both parties were feeding off each other's energy and it made for a really engaging performance. The improvisational bits were inspired and exciting. Afterwards I called my girlfriend, who was at another gig in London, and told her how good it was - they were playing in Manchester where she lives the following day, so we decided to go because she was keen to see them. This time it was at a venue called Rebellion, a scruffy place under a railway arch. The sound quality wasn't great so the crowd seemed a bit less engaged, and consequently their performance lacked some of the energy of the previous night, but it was still a lot of fun and we really enjoyed it.

If you fancy seeing them they're currently in mainland Europe but will be back in England next week, playing the Arts Center in Norwich on the 19th and ULU Live in London on the 20th.

Paaaaul

I'll be seeing them next week in Norwich.
My expectations have been raised.

hummingofevil

https://youtu.be/wCPrjEgS0pI

The full fucking ace Robyn set is back up. Get your headphones on, get buckled in. It's one of the all time great live hours. Don't skip though it. Just let the whole thing wash over you. :)

40mins in: I'm crying at how fucking beautiful this shit is. You know. xx

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Speaking of Cafe Oto, there's a gig later his month where North Sea Radio Orchestra are covering Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom album with John Greaves of Henry Cow and a few others, so I'm definitely off to see that - are any of the Cardiacs/Wyatt/general prog contingent on here are aware and/or planning to go?

Neville Chamberlain

Was well aware of said gig, but am not going. I'm going to be there in Salisbury next month, though.

Sebastian Cobb

Nick Lowe and Los Straightjackets were ridiculously good.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 15, 2019, 10:16:10 PM
Speaking of Cafe Oto, there's a gig later his month where North Sea Radio Orchestra are covering Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom album with John Greaves of Henry Cow and a few others, so I'm definitely off to see that - are any of the Cardiacs/Wyatt/general prog contingent on here are aware and/or planning to go?

I'd love to go, but otherwise engaged.

Flouncer

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 15, 2019, 10:16:10 PM

I'm really fucking tempted by this; coming down from Sheffield and getting a hotel would wipe me out financially but I know I'd really enjoy it.

hummingofevil

As someone who knew absolutely nothing about Jeffery Lewis beyond his name and was very concerned on arrival that he could be a massive pain in the arse that was absolutely belting tonight. What a guy! Really, really enjoyed that. His "live films" are some of the best things I have ever seen a "band" do live. What a pleasure to be in his company for an hour or so.

alan nagsworth

Damn, I'm jealous! I'd love to catch him playing someday. Now go and listen to It's The One Who've Cracked That The Light Shines Through!

king_tubby

Earth have announced a UK tour in November, including my local venue. Which reminds me I haven't got the new record yet.

Crabwalk

Jeffrey Lewis is awesome live. He's always touring and playing tiny places around the UK so go and see him if you ever get the chance. He was even hilarious and entertaining when I saw him do a lecture about Watchmen at a festival once.

hummingofevil

Quote from: king_tubby on June 19, 2019, 07:33:11 PM
Earth have announced a UK tour in November, including my local venue. Which reminds me I haven't got the new record yet.

I love Earth and DC but I am starting to think they have run their course. I saw him do solo guitar a couple of months back and the nagging feeling I got was a lot of it sounded like the kind of Earth-type riffs I would play on my guitar only to listen back to them and think they are a bit like Earth but only shitter.

So the idea with the album is that it is just the two of them? Hmmm... I'll give it a go. Nothing will ever beat the Lori Goldston version of them. I saw them at The Cluny. They got on stage, played the first 4 notes of Descent To The Zenith and I just fully burst out in tears. Amazing.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Crabwalk on June 19, 2019, 08:59:38 PM
Jeffrey Lewis is awesome live. He's always touring and playing tiny places around the UK so go and see him if you ever get the chance. He was even hilarious and entertaining when I saw him do a lecture about Watchmen at a festival once.

I noticed that. That sounds ace. I think "I'm a lecturer in the Watchmen at a Belgian University" has to be the coolest job ever.

Shaky

Off to see Sunn O)))'s Stephen O'Malley do a solo gig tonight. Expecting to be quite, quite deaf by the end of it.

jobotic

Aphex Twin is playing in London.

It's £45 though, I really can't afford that at the moment. And I saw him two years ago.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: jobotic on June 20, 2019, 09:08:29 AM
Aphex Twin is playing in London.

It's £45 though, I really can't afford that at the moment. And I saw him two years ago.

...and sold out in five minutes.

jobotic

Didn't think they were on sale yet. Oh well, ain't my concern, friend.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: hummingofevil on June 20, 2019, 12:24:10 AM
"I'm a lecturer in the Watchmen"

Jimmy Webb considers contemporary rewrite.

alan nagsworth

I bagged a ticket for Aphex along with twelve other mates. We were on it like hawks. Groups of four, with two people on buying duties for each group in case one of the buyers failed for whatever reason. Fuckin' nailed it. I'm reliably informed that Printworks is a fantastic club venue, especially for big visuals/lighting. This'll be special.

I just went out and nailed a fancy job interview in the city centre as well, all in all a highly successful morning. Feeling PRETTY GOOD right now.

Crabwalk

Good work Nags!

I saw Aphex Twin a couple of years back in the enormous hangar that Field Day built for him, and the sound and visuals were OUTRAGEOUS. Me and my mate were so fucked after an hour we left to see Thee Oh Sees to relax.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Crabwalk on June 20, 2019, 02:04:41 PM
Good work Nags!

I saw Aphex Twin a couple of years back in the enormous hangar that Field Day built for him, and the sound and visuals were OUTRAGEOUS. Me and my mate were so fucked after an hour we left to see Thee Oh Sees to relax.

Haha, yeah, I saw him play in Houston at Day For Night festival and it was so intense. I've told this story here before but arses to it: it was December 18th and it had been 25 degrees and dry all weekend but during his set, stuck right in the middle of the crowd, a huge wind came in, blew the smog away, the temperature dropped to about 4 degrees and it fucking absolutely belted it down with rain. Myself and almost everyone else in the crowd were dressed for summer and got completely drenched in about 2 minutes. The mental visuals and the lasers fragmenting through the big chunky raindrops and the set which veered through acid and techno to footwork, gabber and batshit analog noise, my days. Euphoric and overwhelming, a complete blast on the senses. One of the best sets I've ever seen.

jobotic

Yeah good work.

I saw him at Field Day too. If I hadn't I'd be a bit more gutted. My sister, who go too twanged to make it through the day to Aphex Twin despite being well into him has got tickets for this so pleased for her.

hummingofevil

So Stereolab were good tonight but... not great. The Boiler Shop venue in Newcastle is the most dull example of where-middle-class-hipster-twats go to drink and whilst the audience were lovely I felt it all felt a bit flat.

Highlights:

- Laetitia seemed to be on top form. Loads of dancing and chatter and genuinely having fun.
- The middle section of the set of post-Cobra songs that were actually rather lovely.
- A low chatter audience.
- John Cage finale.

Lowlights:

- The sound system was ok. Not terrible but not great. Where have those 90s ear-bursting soundsystems gone?
- No Lo Boob Oscillator 20 min freak out finish. No Jenny.
- The no-bag policy on the door that meant people were turned away just as the show was starting. Fucking daft.