Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:25:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

No bags, what? Security weren't just doing a standard check? That's absolute wank.

imitationleather

No bags? Who does it think it is? Wembley stadium? I find the Boiler Shop to be in a really weird location too. It's basically smack in the centre of Newcastle but feels really desolate, as though it's on an industrial estate in the middle of nowhere. It chills me blood and that's why I avoid going there, Clive.

Captain Crunch

So far I've only done the downstairs Cluny (Bong) - when I saw those comfy seats I nearly wept with joy - and Trillians (Deathbell) which was lovely but must be a bit much when it gets packed.  I'm keen to see The Globe and hoping to find some typical backroom venues like Gulliver's up there too. 

hummingofevil

Quote from: Captain Crunch on June 23, 2019, 01:50:04 PM
So far I've only done the downstairs Cluny (Bong) - when I saw those comfy seats I nearly wept with joy - and Trillians (Deathbell) which was lovely but must be a bit much when it gets packed.  I'm keen to see The Globe and hoping to find some typical backroom venues like Gulliver's up there too.

Don't forget The Star And Shadow. I also quite like Northumbria University for medium sized gigs but doesn't seem to be much on lately. Saw Boris in there a couple years back and that was fun.

Oh shit. I had never previously associate the awesome Japanese Boris with soon-to-be PM Tory twat Boris. Once seen.... ruined.

Dusty Substance

I saw King Crimson at the first of their three nights at The Royal Albert Hall last week. According to the chitter-chatter on the Crimson Facebook fan pages, the first was the weakest of the three but for me it was literally one of the greatest live music experiences of my life. Absolutely astonishing. I really wish Epitaph had lasted forever.

alan nagsworth

Glad it was good DS! If I'd had the money to chuck at it then I would've loved to have seen them.

I've just seen that Japanese post-rock luminaries MONO are doing a big 20th anniversary thing in London this December. No, seriously, really fucking big. A two-day residence with three gigs - each of them featuring a set from the band backed by an orchestra - running as follows:

Fri 13th - Oval Space, supported by:
Boris
Envy
Årabrot
Svalbard

Sat 14th (afternoon) - Village Underground, supported by:
Nordic Giants
Jo Quail
A.A. Williams
Floating Spectrum

Sat 14th (evening) - Barbican, supported by
Alcest

I'm not a big enough fan of the band to want to attend all three but the Friday lineup is absolutely mental and it's only £22!! Three whopping names in Japanese experimental heaviness, plus Årabrot - one of the best and most interesting (not to mention underrated) bands I've come across in the last decade - and whoever the fuck Svalbard is. Unreal!

I'll be at that show with about five or six other pals so if you're vibing off this then grab a ticket and come hang out.

boki

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 25, 2019, 02:57:24 PMwhoever the fuck Svalbard is
They're a pretty nifty UK metallic hardcore band.  One of two Holy Roar acts on the bills for that weekend.

king_tubby

Svalbard have been on a couple of Bad Owl events up here, and Bad Owl know what they're on about. But Mono and Boris are worth the money on their own.

alan nagsworth

Petey Pate

Quote from: hummingofevil on June 19, 2019, 12:42:16 AM
As someone who knew absolutely nothing about Jeffery Lewis beyond his name and was very concerned on arrival that he could be a massive pain in the arse that was absolutely belting tonight. What a guy! Really, really enjoyed that. His "live films" are some of the best things I have ever seen a "band" do live. What a pleasure to be in his company for an hour or so.

Had a similar experience last night. I'd never heard of him until a few days ago but it was an ace gig. His 'live films' were very entertaining, especially a retelling of the Cuban Missile Crisis and why you shouldn't bring a sentient severed red hand onto a bus full of Sunday school teachers.

I'd be curious to know how much he changes the setlist from gig to gig as it was pretty eclectic. When you saw him, did he also do a Jewish Lower East Side New York version of Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven and an acapella rap about murdering mosquitos?

The band also did a cover of CAN's Outside My Door. Though Jeffrey said upfront that they weren't sure if they knew how to play the song it sounded spot on. I ended up having a nerdy chat about CAN with him afterwards (still cringing a little) and the decision to do a cover was apparently inspired by him buying a CD of Landed earlier that day.

Also found out that Melt-Banana are doing a UK tour this autumn. In my head, they're a borderline novelty act which is probably unfair as I've heard they're really impressive live.

holyzombiejesus

What are the 'live films'?

Petey Pate

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 27, 2019, 11:46:35 AM
What are the 'live films'?

They're slide shows of his cartoons that he narrates as poems/spoken word pieces.

holyzombiejesus

So just slides of his comic book pages? I saw him about 15 years ago and he used to hold up these huge battered old (A2 or A1) books but he stopped doing that shortly after and just used a projector instead.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Petey Pate on June 27, 2019, 10:38:07 AM
Also found out that Melt-Banana are doing a UK tour this autumn. In my head, they're a borderline novelty act which is probably unfair as I've heard they're really impressive live.

Yes, they're playing locally to me. Should I go, then?
Also, Damo Suzuki playing the same venue soon. I've still not got a ticket. I'm useless.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Petey Pate on June 27, 2019, 10:38:07 AM

I've seen them live a few times, but I find them less compelling now that they're a two-piece (singer and guitarist).

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on June 28, 2019, 10:31:33 AM
I've seen them live a few times, but I find them less compelling now that they're a two-piece (singer and guitarist).

Yeah, I'm going to see them again this year as I really like gigs where it's fast mental punk nonstop, but this will be the second time seeing them as a two piece band and the stage antics aren't really all that fun. The singer seems to control elements of the music using this portable Bop It! style device but that doesn't really make it much more interesting.

Hmm I'm now torn about going to see them...ah well it's only 15 quid for the ticket, might as well....

SteveDave

I'm going to see the B-52s on Sunday. I'm sure it'll be great but I've just realised that I only really know 4 songs by them.

chveik

stop complaining you lucky bastards, I'd love to see Melt-Banana

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: SteveDave on June 28, 2019, 03:40:53 PM
I'm going to see the B-52s on Sunday. I'm sure it'll be great but I've just realised that I only really know 4 songs by them.
Love Shack 30 years old today, I believe.

Shaky

Quote from: SteveDave on June 28, 2019, 03:40:53 PM

Fantastic band with decades of great tunes (even their belated "final" album from 2008 has some corking tracks). Live, I found them a bit of a bland shadow of themselves though. The girls can still belt it out though.

Lordofthefiles

Just got in from The B52's at The Sage, Gateshead... absolutely fucking brilliant.
I've never seen an all seated gig become an all standing / dancing in the aisles gig before!
It took about ten second from them hitting the first note for the entire place to explode into life.

Anyone seeing them on this tour is in for a treat (whether you know all the songs or not).

So, so good.

I was at the Sage tonight and wanted to stab every cunt. If you're seeing them tomorrow, you might not be surrounded by loud talkers, whistlers, phone cunts, lasses in heels stamping; if that's the case, you'll enjoy them.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on June 30, 2019, 01:18:14 AM
I was at the Sage tonight and wanted to stab every cunt. If you're seeing them tomorrow, you might not be surrounded by loud talkers, whistlers, phone cunts, lasses in heels stamping; if that's the case, you'll enjoy them.

Were you under the mistaken impression that you were going round to my nana's to sit and watch The House of Eliott rather than a gig by a 'Party Band'?

alan nagsworth

Yeah, they're one of RuPaul's favourite bands and they have a huge gay following too, so I think it's to be expected that the crowd would be wild and loud. Would be a bit like going to see Britney Spears and getting annoyed that everyone kept shouting "WERK, BITCH".

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on June 30, 2019, 09:10:20 AM
Were you under the mistaken impression that you were going round to my nana's to sit and watch The House of Eliott rather than a gig by a 'Party Band'?

Yeah, you wouldn't have had that opinion if you stood close to the arseholes I was.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 30, 2019, 10:53:31 AM
Yeah, they're one of RuPaul's favourite bands and they have a huge gay following too, so I think it's to be expected that the crowd would be wild and loud. Would be a bit like going to see Britney Spears and getting annoyed that everyone kept shouting "WERK, BITCH".

Guaranteed none of the basic fucks about me were gay or watch Drag Race. You weren't there. I was unlucky with the seat, the rest of my friends loved the show.

alan nagsworth

FAIR FUCKS MATE. Sorry you had a bad night.

Cheers. I think if it was full of actual camp-as-you-like gayers I'd have loved it. But NewcastleGateshead being NewcastleGateshead, chances are you're going to have checkered shirt-sporting middle aged blokey office workers sitting behind you football chanting slightly incorrect lyrics to Love Shack at a volume comparable to the PA itself.

Crabwalk

Fucking hell, I just checked their setlist for last night. Absolutely immense. Why didn't I get tickets for this tour?