Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:43:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on June 28, 2019, 10:20:34 AM
Yes, they're playing locally to me. Should I go, then?
Also, Damo Suzuki playing the same venue soon. I've still not got a ticket. I'm useless.

If you go to Melt Banana I'll see you there.

Artie Fufkin

^I'm very good at hiding, you know^

Sebastian Cobb

Just pulled the trigger on a ticket for that Aphex Twin Warehouse Project thing in Manchester.

Also, I'm seeing The Allergies tomorrow.

alan nagsworth

After all the Primavera hype I thought it would be sheer stupidity if I didn't get myself out there for the 20th anniversary next year. Bagged a couple early bird tickets this arvo, fuckin hyped as all hell to be overwhelmed by a stupidly good lineup with my girlfriend and my frequent gig accomplice non capisco.

I CAN'T WAIT OH BUT IT'S A WHOLE YEAR AWAY BOLLOCKS

Petey Pate

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 04, 2019, 01:26:13 PM
Just pulled the trigger on a ticket for that Aphex Twin Warehouse Project thing in Manchester.

I should be going to this too with a bunch of mates who missed out on London show tickets.

Also seen that WAR are doing a UK tour this October (with Cymande as their support act). I had no idea that they still existed as a band.

non capisco

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 04, 2019, 01:52:36 PM
After all the Primavera hype I thought it would be sheer stupidity if I didn't get myself out there for the 20th anniversary next year. Bagged a couple early bird tickets this arvo, fuckin hyped as all hell to be overwhelmed by a stupidly good lineup with my girlfriend and my frequent gig accomplice non capisco.

I CAN'T WAIT OH BUT IT'S A WHOLE YEAR AWAY BOLLOCKS

Imagine if it's a day before it starts and their website still just says "FIRST CONFIRMED ACT: PAVEMENT."

alan nagsworth

Quote from: non capisco on July 05, 2019, 12:36:15 AM
Imagine if it's a day before it starts and their website still just says "FIRST CONFIRMED ACT: PAVEMENT."

FIRST CONFIRMED ACT: PAVEMENT

*UPDATE!* June 3rd 2020:
MALKMUS DOES NOT LOOK FUCKING ARSED LADS

Petey Pate

Going to be volunteering as a roadie at Supernormal festival again this year (tickets amazingly sold out on the day they were released). Anyone else going to be there?

alan nagsworth

I wish!! A few of my friends perform there every year and I was especially eager this time around, the one time it sold out stupidly fast.

Calistan

Going to see Neil Young and Bob Dylan on Sunday (and to a lesser extent Glen Hansard). My dad's obsessed with Neil and this will be the third or fourth time we've seen him together. What's Bob like live these days? Never seen him live - I know his singing will be indecipherable but does the backing band compensate? Have a feeling my dad will push us to leave after a couple of songs in any case.

alan nagsworth

I saw the great female fronted hardcore band Gouge Away play a short but very good set last night.

Tonight I'm off to see The Body and Full of Hell, who are playing two individual sets and then a third set together. I'm really fucking excited, it's going to be brutally heavy.

Ferris

Quote from: Calistan on July 12, 2019, 09:09:54 AM
Going to see Neil Young and Bob Dylan on Sunday (and to a lesser extent Glen Hansard). My dad's obsessed with Neil and this will be the third or fourth time we've seen him together. What's Bob like live these days? Never seen him live - I know his singing will be indecipherable but does the backing band compensate? Have a feeling my dad will push us to leave after a couple of songs in any case.

I've seen him a few times in his advanced years - he's still got it, but he's leaning pretty heavily on his backing band and it'll take you a verse or two to realize this is an extensively reworked Hurricane or whatever, because every song has been rejigged to the point where nothing about them is the same and the vocal delivery is a mystery.

I could only identify a 2017 version of Ballad of a Thin Man from its dental records.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 12, 2019, 12:45:10 PM
I could only identify a 2017 version of Ballad of a Thin Man from its dental records.

Did you hear the world's biggest Barbara Streisand fan died in a fire, they could only be identified by their Yentl records.

jobotic

Been asked if I want to see Flipper. Do I want to see Flipper? I love their records but y'know. One of them's dead. Mike Watt's good but weren't their recent offerings shite? But then its Flipper.

What would YOU do?

iamcoop

Quote from: jobotic on July 20, 2019, 10:04:56 AM
Been asked if I want to see Flipper. Do I want to see Flipper? I love their records but y'know. One of them's dead. Mike Watt's good but weren't their recent offerings shite? But then its Flipper.

What would YOU do?

I'd go and see Flipper.

Calistan

Neil Young was brilliant as you'd expect. I was very amused that he started off with Like An Inca, the final song from his popular Trans album that I'd only listened to for the first time the day previous. Excellent opener, a nine-minute stormer, but a lot of people were confused. This was the fourth time I've seen him live and my god he really does like that Ragged Glory album doesn't he? I do the enjoy the songs tbf but would have preferred hearing Cowgirl in the Sand or Down by the River as one of the longer cuts. Irish audiences are probably the worst in the world so that's the second time I've had Cortez the Killer ruined by a loud and chattering crowd. Over a hundred quid for tickets and still they won't fucking listen to the songs, christ.

I enjoyed Bob but a lot of people were noticeably fed up after a few songs. Have to say, I love what he's done to Like A Rolling Stone, but I was definitely in the minority. Good fun seeing Neil join in for a song (Dylan was buzzing) but after another couple of barely decipherable songs my dad and sister had enough so we left. Surprisingly I really enjoyed it, so I'd be very happy to see him live again in my own company.

NoSleep

Quote from: jobotic on July 20, 2019, 10:04:56 AM

What would YOU do?

I saw them with Krist Novoselic covering on bass about 13 years ago and they were great (the gig was an intro to the band for me; got all their records off the back of that). Can't go wrong if Mike Watts is covering this time.

king_tubby

Not only Mike Watt - bonus David Yow! Still not 100% if I'm going to go though.

NoSleep

Quote from: king_tubby on July 21, 2019, 06:42:24 PM
Not only Mike Watt - bonus David Yow! Still not 100% if I'm going to go though.

I've not come across Yow before but appears to be an interesting guy. What is disturbing is that my wholly positive experience of the band 13 years ago focussed around Bruce Loose (lead vocalist for decades) holding the proceedings together and I see he departed in 2015, leaving only the drummer and guitarist from the original band (admittedly, still an incentive to go see).

jobotic

Hadn't realised Loose had gone. Not sure I'll bother then (in two minds anyway beciuse of finances). I did see Yow front the Jesus Lizard years ago and he was good but its not his band. Oh I don't know.

Tokyo van Ramming

I'm sure Yow will give it his all, that's what he does.

I never saw Jesus Lizard but I did see Yow with Melvins and he seemed rabid.

I saw Yow but did Yow see me???

king_tubby

I saw Yow with the Melvins and I also saw little David Yow. Thanks, David! Also saw Scratch Acid more recently and he kept it in his pants.

Tokyo van Ramming

Did you see little David Yow in London? It's a great shame if I don't remember seeing the actual dick that drove the Lizard.

Didn't know Scratch Acid were doing anything, thanks.

king_tubby

No, it was the Slint ATP in 2005. Scratch Acid was another ATP, maybe 2013? Before Hogan burnt every bridge.

hummingofevil

Supersonic was good. Musically loads of good stuff but nothing utterly mind blowing but Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs closing set was a right stonker! Not my fav band in world but to just rock out for an hour to them live every few months is a real joy. Awesome.

imitationleather

Went to Bluedot at the weekend.

Kraftwerk and New Order were as great as expected. Hot Chip were a surprise. Always thought they were pretty alright but they raised the roof (well it was outdoors, but you get what I mean) in a way I really was not expecting.

Also saw Gruff Rhys, Jarvis Cocker (who played a load of new stuff - booo), 808 State and some other acts that I've forgotten but come on man, it's a festival, I'm not supposed to remember large chunks of it.

All in all it was good. A bit too much science bullshit that I have zero interest in, but the line-up was one of the best I've seen of any UK festivals this year so that made up for all the lectures about the fucking solar system or whatever that were on during the day.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: hummingofevil on July 22, 2019, 11:04:23 PM
Supersonic was good. Musically loads of good stuff but nothing utterly mind blowing but Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs closing set was a right stonker! Not my fav band in world but to just rock out for an hour to them live every few months is a real joy. Awesome.

Was grand to meet you, humming, as well as thugler who I bumped into quite a lot and on more than one occasion had me guffawing.

I definitely appear to have taken a lot more from it musically than you did, as I bloody loved it. Aside from The Bug (whose sound is normally far heavier and aggressive than this rather timid set which appeared to be marred by technical issues) and World Zero (a project that might hold my interest if it weren't so fucking busy with so many frustratingly awful elements of spoken word and gobshite theatrics), everything else I saw was very good, and a fair whack of it was excellent.

In order of play, here's a little bit about each act:

FRIDAY

Godflesh: Yeah, you know what you're getting after about two and a half songs, but it's fairly good fun if you fancy a stomp without worrying you're going to miss a beat. In my head I had it summarised as "if you fed the formula for Pantera into a Windows 98 artificial intelligence engine it would make Godflesh" and yet amusingly Godflesh still seem to be the better band.

Neurosis: I only really know Through Silver in Blood and In Times of Grace, but fucking hell, what an absolutely stonking set. The sound in the town hall was tremendous, some of the best I've heard in a long time. Crystal clear, massively loud, filling the space perfectly. I was very taken aback by the entire thing.

Big Lad: Seen them a few times. They're quite crap on record but as a live experience it's a lot of fun, owed solely - and I really mean solely - to Henri's high energy drumming. Wayne's "oiii come on you shitters, who here likes gabber kicks? I'm a rock star" stage antics are tedious, and only really serve to make it look like performance-wise he's doing even less than it already appears. The cover of "Come To Daddy" was cringeworthy and I'm glad it was at the end of the set because it killed my enthusiasm entirely.

SATURDAY

The following night we managed to stay in Subside till 6am getting slaughtered because, much to my unabashed, beaming glee, it's like stepping directly into 2002, where little rocker kids aged 18-22 fill the dancefloor and the DJ plays Papa Roach and Sum 41 and there's not a lick of irony to it and everyone is fucking loving it. So I fucking loved it as well. But subsequently I woke up in my clothes at 3pm and missed the early acts.

Nevertheless, we got to the venue just in time to get a good spot at the Market Place stage for...

Ichi: One of the best things I saw all weekend. Quintessentially Japanese cuteness and creativity. The whole thing was just a joy to watch. A small kick drum, a xylophone, a steel drum and loads of little toy instruments and props that made every song a special, unique performance of infectious little melodies and engaging antics. I highly recommend people check him out.

ASIDE: There were a couple of guys behind me who had banter between every song that had me struggling not to laugh my head off. About three songs in, Ichi produces another odd-looking instrument and the guy behind me jokingly complains exasperatedly, "Oh, what's he got now?!" Maybe you had to be there but it slayed me.

Apostille: Best way I can describe this would be if John Maus went to Bangface and decided to start pelting huge distorted techno rinse-outs over his live sets. I enjoyed it a lot. Also he looked quite a bit like Kevin Rowland which made it even better.

Aja: Another weekend highlight. Huge waves of noise, Aja screaming her head off and rolling about in a yellow lycra costume with eight tits, eventually stripping off to the waist, pummelling through the entire set with tweaked out and terrifying kick drums. I'm told her performances are catharsis for abuse she's endured in her life, and although this set was certainly intimidating, she appeared to be having a rollicking good time throughout. I felt fucking cleansed by the end of it.

The Body: Punishingly heavy doom from a band whom I'd consider to be at the forefront of this new wave of the genre: huge, devastating walls of sound, more noise than one guitar should be able to make, drumming so slow you have time to take stock of your life and contemplate everything between every blast, and a singer who constantly sounds like his skin is on fire. They're brilliant.

HHY & The Macumbas: Absolutely gutted I only caught the second half of this, but fucking hell, what a performance. Two drummers, one chap on electric percussion, another handling the electronics and a "frontman" whipping two cables about that appeared to be controlling ... something? Some element of the sound? I dunno. What I do know is that the track lasted about 20 minutes and was a constant wave of phasing, relentlessly heavy tribal drumming. I got fucking lost in it and I could've listened to it for at least another hour. Brilliant.

SUNDAY

Air Loom: This was quite good but not entirely my sort of thing. A theremin, a set of bells and chimes, a fuckin' Latvian clavisimbalum, and an avant garde vocalist that channeled a bit of Scott Walker and Kate Bush. It was a bit too much new age twaddle in places but in others it was quite beautiful. Glad I watched the whole thing.

Sly & The Family Drone: Always a great performance from them despite this time lacking a member. Playing in the middle of the floor, very slowly building up to a super intense noise/percussion rhythm that just kept going and going, chucking drums into the crowd and getting everyone involved, with a vocalist shrieking and cackling over the top throughout.

ASIDE: There was a guy stood right next to me who managed to grab a couple of drum sticks who appeared to be having some sort of fucking mental episode. He was pounding this one tom and splash cymbal completely out of rhythm and more than once flung his arm back so hard the drumstick nearly hit my friend in the face. The band member with whom he should have been sharing this small set of drums was clearly fucked off with him as well. He was so reckless that often it was his hands striking the kit, and he sprayed quite a bit of blood about. The whole thing was quite disturbing.

Guttersnipe: THE BEST THING!!! Absolutely fucking crackers two piece avant-grind assault that had elements of AIDS Wolf, Orthrelm, The Locust and Hella, but it was entirely its own thing. I have not been so blown away by a drummer as I was here in quite some time. The tiniest kick drum, the kit hooked up to synths that made each drum reverberate and boom and pang, the dude is skinny as fuck and he absolutely leathered the shit out of it. The guitarist meanwhile screeched out like ... well, as she describes it, as if she's playing like the guitar solos on Reek of Putrefaction, but that's the entire thing. No conventional rhythm in sight, and they seemed to play almost telepathically, because it was airtight and absolutely blistering. I could not stop smiling for the entire set. Magnificent band.

Jerusalem in My Heart: I did enjoy this, but the fatigue was starting to kick in at this point, I confess. A chap playing a saz and feeing it through modular equipment whilst singing in middle eastern styles with a compelling visual element. I was really digging it, but I had to leave halfway through so I could catch...

Anna Von Hausswolff: Earth-shuddering stuff. Huge drone waves and hypnotic percussion and big doomy dirges and Anna's enormous voice soaring atop the whole thing. A seriously powerful performance which I unfortunately had to duck out of, as I was so fucking knackered by this point that I didn't have the energy to stand and enjoy it any more.

And that's it. Couldn't be arsed with Dalek as I've seen them before recently, and I went home before Pigs x7 started.

All in all, I had more than my money's worth. That festival is so brilliantly organised and curated and everyone there is lovely, the vibe was wonderful and there was nary a dull moment for the entire time I was there. Brilliant.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 23, 2019, 12:11:27 PM

Neurosis: I only really know Through Silver in Blood and In Times of Grace, but fucking hell, what an absolutely stonking set. The sound in the town hall was tremendous, some of the best I've heard in a long time. Crystal clear, massively loud, filling the space perfectly. I was very taken aback by the entire thing.

I'm jealous as I was away and couldn't make their London gig of the tour they were doing with Yob (another fucking amazing live band). Every time I've seen Neurosis they've crushed my skull with their intensity and sheer fucking heaviness. Amazing live band and a must see for any fan of heavy music.

thugler

Had an amazing time at supersonic again, bit of a heavier lineup this year. Blown away by hhy and the Macumbas and guttersnipe, but in completely different ways. Macumbas in a more hypnotic way, just had a relentless groove that got denser and richer as it went on. Guttersnipe (which i knew of via the noise rock thread here) produced the most unhinged wild noise I've ever heard 2 people manage to produce. Weirdly reminded me of the best free jazz duo stuff in the way they would respond to each other's playing on the fly. Drummer looked like he was having a fit!
Great to meet you on friday humming, and nags (and his mate). First time I've met cabbers and unsurprisingly funny and knowledgeable cunts.

thugler

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 11, 2019, 11:13:20 AM
There was a guy stood right next to me who managed to grab a couple of drum sticks who appeared to be having some sort of fucking mental episode. He was pounding this one tom and splash cymbal completely out of rhythm and more than once flung his arm back so hard the drumstick nearly hit my friend in the face. The band member with whom he should have been sharing this small set of drums was clearly fucked off with him as well. He was so reckless that often it was his hands striking the kit, and he sprayed quite a bit of blood about. The whole thing was quite disturbing.

I saw this prick! Audience participation can always attract the wrong cunts who want the attention on them. I did enjoy the impromptu screaming/wailing the audience introduced though, felt like some mad religious rapture towards the end. Would love to see sly in some tiny grotty venue where it would be totally overwhelming.