Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:27:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Quote from: thugler on July 23, 2019, 07:30:54 PM
I saw this prick! Audience participation can always attract the wrong cunts who want the attention on them. I did enjoy the impromptu screaming/wailing the audience introduced though, felt like some mad religious rapture towards the end. Would love to see sly in some tiny grotty venue where it would be totally overwhelming.

I've seen Sly in The Unicorn in Camden which is 300 capacity (even less seeing as they take up a big patch of floor space - here's a random crowd photo I found for reference) and yeah it was nuts. Did they same drum kit deconstruction thing except they had a screeching tenor sax player, and Matt stripped down to his pants and was climbing all over the big amp stacks. Thrilling.

That maniac guy I mentioned above was stood outside the venue after looking completely forlorn like a lost dog just staring at the floor with bloody knuckles.

Quote from: thugler on July 23, 2019, 07:14:17 PM
Weirdly reminded me of the best free jazz duo stuff in the way they would respond to each other's playing on the fly.

I read an interview yesterday and they said they wouldn't be able to play at all without looking at each other for tiny little visual cues. Those songs they played are all pretty well rehearsed and fully formed as well, which in its own way is just as remarkable, considering their style.

thugler

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 23, 2019, 07:47:45 PM
screeching tenor sax player

Fuck sake, that would've pushed it up a notch

Blinder Data

Went to WOMAD, which was actually really fun. V good festival vibes and not so big/busy that moving from stage to stage to see most of the acts was achievable. I enjoyed lots including KOKOROKO (young London afrobeat people), Dhafar Youssef (Algerian jazz bloke) and Macy Gracy (who was pissed out her head).

But the highlight was Orbital. Not had much experience of them beforehand so didn't know what to expect. It was awesome; the lights and projections were amazing, emotional, exhausting. Sounded great and the smaller bro is a top dancer. Theatrically it was a bloody experience. Probably best electronic act I've seen live. Would recommend anyone to see them this tour.

sardines

Just back from Michael Rother.
Caught Damo Suzuki in a Cologne underground station a week or so ago.
If anybody knows of a Krautrock legend playing mainland Europe in the next week, I'd like to complete the hat trick.

I don't wallow in nostalgia but hard  to believe that era was  not the pinnacle. Like football after Cruyff's Ajax, you can still enjoy what follows but it all lives in the shadow of giants. Albeit slightly unassuming middle aged German giants.
Conclusion : go see Michael Rother

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: sardines on August 01, 2019, 11:04:12 PM
Just back from Michael Rother.
Caught Damo Suzuki in a Cologne underground station a week or so ago.
If anybody knows of a Krautrock legend playing mainland Europe in the next week, I'd like to complete the hat trick.

I'm *probably* gonna see Damo next month - was he good / great? Plenty of Can stufff?

NoSleep

Doesn't Damo still rely on meeting up with local musicians then improvising the set onstage? No greatest hits from him, I doubt.

boki

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 30, 2019, 12:41:07 PM
Went to WOMAD, which was actually really fun. V good festival vibes and not so big/busy that moving from stage to stage to see most of the acts was achievable. I enjoyed lots including KOKOROKO (young London afrobeat people)

I've really been into those folks lately - stumbled upon 'Abusey Junction' whilst down a YouTube rabbit hole a few months ago and got a hold of the compilation (We Out Here) it was on.  The comp's a celebration of young Jazz artists dahn in That London and there's some talented people on there.

boki

Quote from: NoSleep on August 02, 2019, 01:29:51 PM
Doesn't Damo still rely on meeting up with local musicians then improvising the set onstage? No greatest hits from him, I doubt.

Yeah, I think he's usually billed as Damo Suzuki with local Sound Carriers.  He played with local post-punky dudes Echolocation when I saw him in Leicester and they were a good fit.

sardines

Damo is very reliant on the local band he plays with. At the same time, everyone I've seen him play with feels obliged to knock out a 'typical' Krautrock rhythm for him to warble over. And it is Damo Suzuki so everyone goes apeshit. As they should.

jobotic

He played in Gillingham quite few years back backed by my mates Hand of Stabs who are entirely improvised. It was great but fuck all like Can.

thugler

Quote from: boki on August 02, 2019, 02:19:46 PM
I've really been into those folks lately - stumbled upon 'Abusey Junction' whilst down a YouTube rabbit hole a few months ago and got a hold of the compilation (We Out Here) it was on.  The comp's a celebration of young Jazz artists dahn in That London and there's some talented people on there.

Love these, really enjoyable stuff. Must see them again

Captain Crunch

Going to this:

(Surely Blown Out will be added at some point?)

And Thurston Moore at Riverside and NMA at the Boiler Shop so that's two more venues to check out. 

Quote from: hummingofevil on June 23, 2019, 01:57:36 PMDon't forget The Star And Shadow.

Yes.  They do silent film / live score events there once a month which I'm an absolute tart for.  BUT it just says 'contemporary score', do they give more details about the music nearer the time or is it pot luck?  I saw DJ Cheeba scoring Plan 9 From Outer Space and it was dreadful. 

alan nagsworth

Captain Crunch

Will do, I always felt bad for her on season 9.

Melted Hand are something, hope they live up to it live.

Blinder Data

November is looking good for gigs. Got Dublin folkies Lankum and Bjork lined up, and swithering over seeing Whitney or Richard Dawson who are playing on the same night.

grassbath

Just saw Yo La Tengo at the Brudenell, 'twere lovely. Charming, hushed, genial goodness. I only wish I'd requested 'Last Days of Disco.'

alan nagsworth

Copped Zu the other night, with support from avant-rock supergroup Nøught. Our lad Neville Chamberlain would have fucking loved it. Both bands were exceptionally good, in the tiny wee Lexington. I was right at the front, kept nearly getting clocked in the head by the headstock of Zu's bass guitar. Every song by both bands was executed so fucking tight and punchy, it's been a while since I saw any music like this performed live and it's proper made me want to dig back through Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Ultralyd and all that gubbins. I was in such a dire mood when I got to the venue but I left totally elated. The power of gigs.

Crabwalk

I've just seen that Kikagaku Moyo and Vanishing Twin are playing together in Hackney on 28th August. Guess who's wife and son are away that week leaving him fancy free to attend? THAT'S RIGHT, IT'S ME.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Crabwalk on August 22, 2019, 09:41:12 AM
I've just seen that Kikagaku Moyo and Vanishing Twin are playing together in Hackney on 28th August. Guess who's wife and son are away that week leaving him fancy free to attend? THAT'S RIGHT, IT'S ME.

Ah flip. If I'd had more notice I would've been on that. They're also playing in December with Death & Vanilla and Jane Weaver's new project as well as a handful of other acts for some sort of mini-festival thing, for a marvellously cheap £14. Think I'll get a ticket for it come payday.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 15, 2019, 07:40:41 PM
Copped Zu the other night, with support from avant-rock supergroup Nøught. Our lad Neville Chamberlain would have fucking loved it. Both bands were exceptionally good, in the tiny wee Lexington. I was right at the front, kept nearly getting clocked in the head by the headstock of Zu's bass guitar. Every song by both bands was executed so fucking tight and punchy, it's been a while since I saw any music like this performed live and it's proper made me want to dig back through Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and Ultralyd and all that gubbins. I was in such a dire mood when I got to the venue but I left totally elated. The power of gigs.

Haha, great stuff, nags. Seen Zu loads of times and they never, ever disappoint. Love Nøught but have never seen them live...

buzby

I was back at YES in Manchester (in the basement this time) last friday to catch London-based up-and-comers Dry Cleaning on their first real tour.  Another band I'd been alerted to by 6Music playing thier first single, Magic Of Meghan, from their debut EP Sweet Princess.

The first support was Burnely's The Goa Express (who also put out single The Day last month, a year after their debut EP and have been gigging for over 3 years), who put out a solid wall of sixties fuzz-psych-garage noise. Their last song had everything turned up to 11, and resulted in lead guitarist Joey Stein playing with such fury that he ripped his fingernails off.

Second support was Faux Pas, hailing form York and have been around a similar length of time as Goa Express. Their set actually made me laugh a few times, purely by how unexpected some of the twists and turns their songs take. They have more than a hint of early Radiohead but particularly Placebo about them (mostly thanks to the singer Reuben Cowl's tone of voice being similar to Molko's). He also cross dresses, and on Friday was wearing a granny dress.

I was stood behind his mum and sister during their set, who were proudly filming him on their phones.

Then on came Dry Cleaning, in their first visit to Manchester (they were playing the Future Yard festival in Birkenhead the follwing day, but I couldn't make that). They haven't been going for long, though the musicians Nick, Lewis and Tom have alll been in other bands before over the last decade. Vocalist Flo has had no prior band experience, and is an artist and photo researcher friend who they asked to add vocals over their jam sessions. Not being a singer, Flo makes spoken word lyrics woven together from her own inner monologues,  quotes from newspaper articles, social media comments and overheard conversations using cut-up techniques that she uses in her artwork. Her deadpan vocal style (partially due to not being a singer, and also being terrified of being onstage) works well against the band's band pop-punk style.

The sound was a bit ropey to start with, with Flo's voice struggling to be heard over the band, but this got better after a couple of songs. One thing that amused me is that a couple of the songs from their EP have a bit of synth drone/pad as part of the backing, and this is reproduced live by Flo with a Walkman and a tape for each song, neatly laid out at the bottom of her lyric stand that she loads and presses play on cue. It was a relativley short set (they only have about 8-9 songs together so far) but I enjoyed it, highlights being the aforesaid Magic Of Megan, Goodnight, Phone Scam (I keep muttering 'She said I was a horrible cunt, she said I was a bastard' to myself) and Conversations (with the added bonus that she uses the correct UK ringing cadence in her phone impressions). If they are your sort of thing I'd recommend catching them.

holyzombiejesus

Ah, I was actually listening to these at home last night as a friend said they were one of the two best bands he saw at Green Man (the other being Black Country, New Road who he accurately described as Slint with sax). I really like that Megan song. Also, one of the Goa Express lives next door but one from me (I think) and they're managed by the landlord of my local.

Crabwalk

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 26, 2019, 10:12:20 PM
Ah flip. If I'd had more notice I would've been on that. They're also playing in December with Death & Vanilla and Jane Weaver's new project as well as a handful of other acts for some sort of mini-festival thing, for a marvellously cheap £14. Think I'll get a ticket for it come payday.

Bloody hell, that sounds good value. I'll look into that.

Quote from: Crabwalk on August 22, 2019, 09:41:12 AM
Guess who's wife

Ouch. I'd been drinking heavily the night before, your honour.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on August 27, 2019, 07:42:29 AM
Love Nøught but have never seen them live...

They are an entirely different beast on stage! Their opening number was about 20 minutes long, an absolute beast of a song in about five or six movements, frequently brutally heavy. I'm told they're finally getting their shit together for a new release in the near future so keep your eyes peeled for live dates.

Artie Fufkin

Last night at Ramsgate Music Hall, I saw 3 great bands :
Paisley Mess, Some Bodies & Once And Future Band.
All great in their own way, but OAFB were phenomenal. Such talented musicians. It was one of those gigs where I could have stayed listening all night. Absolutely brilliant stuff. A mix of Steely Dan / Zappa / Gabriel era Genesis. Awesomeness. I hope they come back over again.

mothman

I'm at Flaming Lips at Brixton Academy.

... and it was absolutely awesome. Basic intent was to celebrate the 20th anniversary of The Soft Bulletin by playing the whole album, but they still found time to do "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots" and "Do You Realise?" with massive audience participation. Got sone great photos - last time I saw them, my phone didn't even have a camera! Great way to spend my birthday.

Glitch King

Will you share the pics? I haven't seen many in this thread but if they're as good as you say they are, everybody would benefit.

Goodbye, glitch!

mothman

Of course, I'll see what I can do.

WhoMe

Any London based peeps open to explorations of sound can do worse than checking out Mode festival that begins next week. Gonna see Eli Keszler at the round chapel in Hackney on the opening night, cannot wait.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: jobotic on August 02, 2019, 06:53:41 PM
He played in Gillingham quite few years back backed by my mates Hand of Stabs who are entirely improvised. It was great but fuck all like Can.
Did not get to see Damo in the end. Was too knackered after driving to Scotland and back. But I've just seen that someone I know was playing in his backing band.