Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:01:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Got tickets to Hare and Hoofe at the Lexington on 26th October. Get along if you can, they are one of the most fun bands I have ever seen. Seen them twice and my jaw muscles hurt from smiling afterwards.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: jobotic on September 26, 2019, 10:01:57 AM
Got tickets to Hare and Hoofe at the Lexington on 26th October. Get along if you can, they are one of the most fun bands I have ever seen. Seen them twice and my jaw muscles hurt from smiling afterwards.
Really wanting to see these guys. But every time they play I seem to be doing other stuff.

king_tubby

Fuck yeah Hot Snakes AND Shellac touring in December.

Famous Mortimer

Melvins and Redd Kross playing tonight, but I'm broke. I need to plan these things better in advance.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: king_tubby on September 27, 2019, 08:19:29 PM
Fuck yeah Hot Snakes AND Shellac touring in December.

I've missed every prior opportunity to see Shellac and I'm not fucking missing this one.

Got a few good ones coming up this week: Lingua Ignota's bilious noise-soaked vengeance, extremely intense techno-inspired Ugandan percussion group Nihiloxica (following their blistering set supporting Aphex at Printworks the other week, I just had to see them again, for £11 in a much smaller venue) and then King motherfuckin Gizzard next Saturday at Ally Pally. Picked a great time to finally see Gizz, following their awesome latest thrash metal album Infest The Rat's Nest. Very hyped.

jobotic

I fancied seeing Lingua Ignota after you (I think) recommended her on here. Brilliant stuff.

Sadly i didn't get my shit together and I'm skint. Let us know all about it.

Tempted by Shellac. Seen them twice but years and years ago.

alan nagsworth

Aye it was me bleating on about her! Apparently she's a force of nature live so I'm very much looking forward to being SHOOK.

non capisco

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 28, 2019, 11:20:02 AM
I've missed every prior opportunity to see Shellac and I'm not fucking missing this one.

I'm 99.9% sure they'll be at Primavera, especially as it's the 20th anniversary. They're practically the house band.

Seeing Sleep for the first time next week over 15 years since I first heard Dopesmoker. I'm positively tumescent with anticipation.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: non capisco on September 28, 2019, 12:32:03 PM
I'm 99.9% sure they'll be at Primavera, especially as it's the 20th anniversary. They're practically the house band.

THEN SEE THAN TWICE SHALL WE, VERILY

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on September 28, 2019, 01:15:01 PM
Seeing Sleep for the first time last week over 15 years since I first head Dopesmoker. I'm positively tumescent with anticipation.

Sleep are absolutely stunning live. Loudest bass I've ever heard at a non-electronic performance. Have fun!

Calistan

I saw Shellac a couple of years ago without really knowing them too well besides their last album and they blew the socks off me. Wonderful stuff.

Got around to watching the "Poundland Shellac" mclusky* a couple of weeks ago. As you'd expect, a wonderful gig and Falco could easily become a comedian his witticisms and timing are so good.

non capisco

Had a bit of an uncharacteristic gig lull recently aside from a wonderful time the other month seeing Deerhoof play at EarTH, the dopiest venue in London in terms of layout (for those who haven't been it's laid out like in a half moon coliseum shape with rows of flat wooden benches so you if you get there and everyone's already sat down you spend all of the support act frantically thinking "Where the fuck am I meant to go? What if nobody stands up? Will we all be able to sit together? Fuck this!" before realising "Oh right, let's just stand at the tiny gap down the front, no-one is stopping you"). Stood right in front of Greg Saunier's drumkit and saw every nuance of his insane skills up close. It was like being stood in front of Buddy Rich but with quirkier time signatures, the guy is a phenomenon. Blew me away, that gig. Possibly second only to Hall and Oates doing a ridiculous greatest hits set as my SHOW OF THE YEAR SO FAR.

Coming up I've got no less than Black Midi, Ty Segall doing his best album 'Melted', Snapped Ankles, Deerhunter and Cate Le Bon, Daughters, Ezra Furman, Aldous Harding then I'm off to New Orleans in early December to bathe in jazz (jAzz, I said.) and soul for a week. Yes, music!

king_tubby

Just remembered it's Sebadoh next week. Get in.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: non capisco on September 28, 2019, 07:07:48 PM
Had a bit of an uncharacteristic gig lull recently aside from a wonderful time the other month seeing Deerhoof play at EarTH
So wanted to go to this, but other stuff happened, annoyingly. Where are you seeing them next?

edit : Deerhunter. Sorry.

king_tubby

Sebadoh last night. Am I a bad man for thinking I'd pay double for a Lou set with no Jason songs? Probably. Anyway, good stuff all round mainly. The new songs sound decent, and they finished with Brand New Love so that was me in bits.

Hope the unfunny heckler has woken up this morning in a LS6 gutter with two blacked eyes. Twat. Shut up. Shut up, twat.

jobotic

Was going to see Teeth of the Sea tonight as they are playing at the bottom of my road, but knocked out by a minging cold and have to go out tomorrow night so gonna bow out.

I don't know them so someone tell me they're shit and then it won't matter.

king_tubby

I have their previous two records. Some of my favourite music of the last 5 years.

Get some Night Nurse down you, you nesh bastard.

(Says the person who's not going to see Truman's Water/Bilge Pump tonight because it's in town rather than walkable)

jobotic

Sorry King, ain't gonna make it. Useless.

I will moan about there never being any decent bands on round here though.

sardines

Saw Acid Mothers Temple for the first time in a few years.
They've now added jewelry to their excessive selection of merch.
Kawabata Makoto  has finally grown into the sort of cult guru figure that will result in a Netflix documentary in 10 years.

Neville Chamberlain

Black Midi TONIGHT!!!!!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on October 07, 2019, 04:04:40 PM
Black Midi TONIGHT!!!!!

Have fun Nev! I've got 'em on the 23rd and I am very much looking forward to it.

I saw King Gizzard play their biggest ever sold out show at Ally Pally over the weekend. My mate almost ruined my evening before it had even started by stupidly taking too much acid at like 4PM - I'm sure we can all agree that's a good time to take acid, when you have yet to travel 23 miles across the city and see a psych rock band scheduled to take the stage 5 and a half hours after you've taken it, for fucks sake - and telling me he was running "a wee bit late", which ended up being over an hour and half.

When he eventually arrives at my house, with me urging to get out the door, he tells me he feels too fucked and doesn't think he will even go. So not only has he wasted two hours of my time keeping me waiting (I had both physical tickets) he's now considering sacking the whole thing off. I told him he had to make his mind up because I was leaving with or without him. He eventually agreed to come. As soon as we got to the venue I left him stood way at the side of the venue and muscled my way into an absolutely heaving crowd of people who were almost exclusively at least ten years younger than me. It was like being at the Mac DeMarco concert all over again!

Anyway these kids fucking tore it up for the entire set, which was measured and tight and excellent from start to finish. In the midst of the highly energetic moshers I managed to shift my way quite quickly to the front and spent most of the set pressed right against the barrier. I was fairly knackered so being able to stand still with a great view of the band was ideal.

They played a bunch of stuff off the most recent two albums as well as the first three tracks off I'm In Your Mind Fuzz, and the epic "Crumbling Castle". It was an absolute blast.

It's absolutely crackers that two years ago Gizz were playing at venues like Moth Club and Shacklewell Arms and now here they are playing eco-friendly thrash metal and psych boogie to 10,000 people. They deserve every scrap of it as well, I don't think there's many bands out there working as hard as them right now. They literally never seem to stop touring and making music. 15 albums in 9 years and almost all of it is fucking great.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 07, 2019, 06:05:28 PM
Have fun Nev! I've got 'em on the 23rd and I am very much looking forward to it.

Thanks, nags! Yep, you're in for a treat. What venue are you seeing them at, by the way, out of curiosity? Anyway, they sounded great. I was quite surprised about how well all the subtleties of the record comes across on stage (I've seen them live before, but that was way before the record came out). They never stopped playing, either, just shifting from one song to the next. Heard quite a lot of new stuff - and if that's what we can expect from the next album, then it might just even surpass the first. No surprises, but Morgan the drummer is an absolute beast. Without wanting to do a disservice to the other lads because they are all exceptional, it's the drumming that really elevates the group to the next level. Similar to what you were saying about the Wizzard Gizzard Lizard Blizzards below, it's so great to see music as awkward and challenging as Black Midi's packing out mid-size venues in cities like Berlin. To think they were just the Windmill's "house band" not so long ago. It was my brother who brought them to my attention a couple of years ago when he saw Spratley's Japs at the Windmill and Black Midi were one of the "support" acts.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 07, 2019, 06:05:28 PMI saw King Gizzard play their biggest ever sold out show at Ally Pally over the weekend. My mate almost ruined my evening before it had even started by stupidly taking too much acid at like 4PM - I'm sure we can all agree that's a good time to take acid, when you have yet to travel 23 miles across the city and see a psych rock band scheduled to take the stage 5 and a half hours after you've taken it, for fucks sake - and telling me he was running "a wee bit late", which ended up being over an hour and half.

When he eventually arrives at my house, with me urging to get out the door, he tells me he feels too fucked and doesn't think he will even go. So not only has he wasted two hours of my time keeping me waiting (I had both physical tickets) he's now considering sacking the whole thing off. I told him he had to make his mind up because I was leaving with or without him. He eventually agreed to come. As soon as we got to the venue I left him stood way at the side of the venue and muscled my way into an absolutely heaving crowd of people who were almost exclusively at least ten years younger than me. It was like being at the Mac DeMarco concert all over again!

Anyway these kids fucking tore it up for the entire set, which was measured and tight and excellent from start to finish. In the midst of the highly energetic moshers I managed to shift my way quite quickly to the front and spent most of the set pressed right against the barrier. I was fairly knackered so being able to stand still with a great view of the band was ideal.

They played a bunch of stuff off the most recent two albums as well as the first three tracks off I'm In Your Mind Fuzz, and the epic "Crumbling Castle". It was an absolute blast.

It's absolutely crackers that two years ago Gizz were playing at venues like Moth Club and Shacklewell Arms and now here they are playing eco-friendly thrash metal and psych boogie to 10,000 people. They deserve every scrap of it as well, I don't think there's many bands out there working as hard as them right now. They literally never seem to stop touring and making music. 15 albums in 9 years and almost all of it is fucking great.

Fuck, these guys are coming to Berlin on Saturday and I was in two minds about whether or not to go, not wanting to spend any more money or anything...

Forgot to mention, re Black Midi: I've got tickets for an all-seater gig they're doing here in Berlin in January at this venue. After seeing them last night, I'm even more curious as to how this will be...

holyzombiejesus

Rodelius playing Todmorden is a bit random. Good though.

PaulTMA

Quote from: king_tubby on October 04, 2019, 09:36:38 AM
Sebadoh last night. Am I a bad man for thinking I'd pay double for a Lou set with no Jason songs? Probably. Anyway, good stuff all round mainly. The new songs sound decent, and they finished with Brand New Love so that was me in bits.

Hope the unfunny heckler has woken up this morning in a LS6 gutter with two blacked eyes. Twat. Shut up. Shut up, twat.

What was your heckler's 'content'?  Glasgow hecklers were all semi-endearing.

NoSleep

Heads up to Petey and Puce Moment as we're all going to see Negativland on the Sunday 27th October. Bumped this mainly to say I'm pleased to see that one of the support artists is People Like Us.

king_tubby

Quote from: PaulTMA on October 10, 2019, 11:46:04 AM
What was your heckler's 'content'?  Glasgow hecklers were all semi-endearing.

Drunkenly shouting for songs, trying to talk to them between songs but being incoherent. Declarations of love for Lou.

Best/worst bit:

"Loooooooooooooooouuuu Loooooooouuuuu plaaaay soul and fiiiiiiiirrez"

"Um, we already did. Were you late in?"

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: jobotic on October 04, 2019, 01:30:57 PM
Was going to see Teeth of the Sea tonight as they are playing at the bottom of my road, but knocked out by a minging cold and have to go out tomorrow night so gonna bow out.

I don't know them so someone tell me they're shit and then it won't matter.

Listening to Wraith, currently. Love it. Thanks for heads up.

Noddy Tomkey

Another git heading for Shellac of North America.

I've been hammering At Action Park for a while now so I'm much more excited than I usually would be - I'm really looking forward to all the crunch bits and the drums.

I wish I could get to more gigs. What's the best way to find out about them at the moment, specifically for South East / London / Brighton?

Petey Pate

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 07, 2019, 06:05:28 PMI saw King Gizzard play their biggest ever sold out show at Ally Pally over the weekend. My mate almost ruined my evening before it had even started by stupidly taking too much acid at like 4PM - I'm sure we can all agree that's a good time to take acid, when you have yet to travel 23 miles across the city and see a psych rock band scheduled to take the stage 5 and a half hours after you've taken it, for fucks sake - and telling me he was running "a wee bit late", which ended up being over an hour and half.

I was there as well. Didn't know that you were going but you would have needed a task force to try and find anyone in the crowd. Everyone I was with eventually lost each other until the end.

Must admit I wasn't that familiar with King Gizzard before seeing them, I mainly went cause my mate had a spare ticket, but it was a good show. Did also find it funny how out of time the crowd was whenever they clapped along to the music.

Quote from: NoSleep on October 10, 2019, 11:50:28 AM
Heads up to Petey and Puce Moment as we're all going to see Negativland on the Sunday 27th October. Bumped this mainly to say I'm pleased to see that one of the support artists is People Like Us.

Ah I'd forgotten about this. I do have a ticket, so will see you there.

jobotic

Quote from: NoSleep on October 10, 2019, 11:50:28 AM

Fucking hell, what? This is a dream gig for me. Where is it? Assume its sold out?