Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:27:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: jobotic on October 11, 2019, 11:52:29 AM
Fucking hell, what? This is a dream gig for me. Where is it? Assume its sold out?

Cafe OTO 27th and 28th. Tickets still available.

Petey Pate

Quote from: jobotic on October 11, 2019, 11:52:29 AM
Fucking hell, what? This is a dream gig for me. Where is it? Assume its sold out?

Cafe Oto. Tickets are still available it seems.

https://www.cafeoto.co.uk/events/baba-yagas-hut-presents-negativland/

NoSleep

Only Sunday for People Like Us. Glad we picked that night.

Puce Moment

Fucking delighted about People Like Us! I remember her stuff selling hotcakes back in the day at These Records (especially tapes and DATS). The 'Hate People Like Us' album is great and I guess she and Negativland have remained friends which is lovely. Really up for this now.

alan nagsworth

Double whammy for me tonight! Ty Segall playing his albums Melted and First Taste back to back, and then a short trip up the road for an all-night noisy dubstep gig with JK Flesh, The Bug, Goth-Trad, VIVEK, Commodo and a load of other heavyweights of the scene. Excited but also fearful that I'll be fucking knackered by about 1am.

Puce Moment

Would love to see The Bug again. Looks great.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 11, 2019, 04:48:08 PM
Double whammy for me tonight! Ty Segall playing his albums Melted and First Taste back to back, and then a short trip up the road for an all-night noisy dubstep gig with JK Flesh, The Bug, Goth-Trad, VIVEK, Commodo and a load of other heavyweights of the scene. Excited but also fearful that I'll be fucking knackered by about 1am.

Cracking night's entertainment there, I'm jealous.

I see the JK Flesh/The Bug (will Techno Animal reform for one night only?) thing is in the E1 club. When I went there the bouncer gave me a good old squeeze of my bollocks as part of the search, so fingers crossed you'll get lucky.

jobotic

Quote from: Puce Moment on October 11, 2019, 01:48:15 PM
Fucking delighted about People Like Us! I remember her stuff selling hotcakes back in the day at These Records (especially tapes and DATS). The 'Hate People Like Us' album is great and I guess she and Negativland have remained friends which is lovely. Really up for this now.

Man, I'm going on holiday the next day and already in London for a gig the night before. No way I'll get away with going to this. I'm so gutted! I love Vicki Bennett, only seen her once before (at a brilliant touch Records do), and Negativland too!!

NJ Uncut

The Delta Bombers are actually coming to the UK!!

Manchester next May!!

It'll only be me there!!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on October 11, 2019, 08:31:33 PM
Cracking night's entertainment there, I'm jealous.

I see the JK Flesh/The Bug (will Techno Animal reform for one night only?) thing is in the E1 club. When I went there the bouncer gave me a good old squeeze of my bollocks as part of the search, so fingers crossed you'll get lucky.

They were quite stringent but I'm afraid to say my bollocks met no hands last night.

It was an absolute belter of a night, though. Ty's new album is nowt remarkable but it was a lot of fun to get the crowd fired up for Melted, still up there with his best albums, and they fuckin tore the cunt a new hole with it. The crowd went absolutely nuts for it. Seeing him play Imaginary Person, the song which first made me fall in love with his music, and bouncing around in an extremely sweaty pit in such a godawful stupid venue, was joyous. Absolutely loved it.

dr beat

David Devant & His Spirit Wife at Kings Cross Water Rats 11th December.  I just happen to be in the capital for a conference that day.

Puce Moment

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 12, 2019, 11:50:48 AM
They were quite stringent but I'm afraid to say my bollocks met no hands last night.

It was an absolute belter of a night, though. Ty's new album is nowt remarkable but it was a lot of fun to get the crowd fired up for Melted, still up there with his best albums, and they fuckin tore the cunt a new hole with it. The crowd went absolutely nuts for it. Seeing him play Imaginary Person, the song which first made me fall in love with his music, and bouncing around in an extremely sweaty pit in such a godawful stupid venue, was joyous. Absolutely loved it.

Kev reported that it was a wild night - Bug did four sets and the last (at 4am?) was the best by all accounts.

alan nagsworth

I don't much care for The Bug these days in truth. If you've seen one Bug set you've seen 'em all. But I've heard his dub stuff (that last set you're on about) is the best of the best so it's a shame I missed that. I respectfully bowed out at about 3am because I was exhausted. Kahn and Commodo both played fantastic sets though, I have a lot of time for those lads and they always deliver.

Proudly came home with my housemate and we stayed up till 6am, doing nitrous, listening classic trance records and eating pot noodles. Fucking great night by all accounts.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: dr beat on October 12, 2019, 01:02:22 PM
David Devant & His Spirit Wife at Kings Cross Water Rats 11th December.

I LOVE that venue !

king_tubby

How is there a market of people who would go and see David Devant and his Spirit Wife in the year of our Lord 2019? They got paltry audiences when I saw them back in far past.

Crabwalk

Because:

• They're great
  • They play small venues
  • They don't play very often

king_tubby

SteveDave

Quote from: king_tubby on October 14, 2019, 12:19:10 PM
How is there a market of people who would go and see David Devant and his Spirit Wife in the year of our Lord 2019? They got paltry audiences when I saw them back in far past.

They played the 100 Club last month. Supported by me. The highlight was my friends girlfriend staring in disbelief as a room full of people chanted AUNTIE MABEL AUNTIE MABEL over and over. "What are they saying? Who's Mabel?"

alan nagsworth

Going to see Melt-Banana tonight. I don't really know why I leapt at the chance to buy tickets a few months back because they're still the same two-piece band they've been since the last time I saw them and there's fuck all happening on stage - well, not that I'm interested in anyway. No drummer. Two people hopping about to the music of more than two people. It doesn't sit right.

In fact does anyone actually know why they're such a small unit now? It seems stupid to me, unless there's any animosity involved.

Anyway they're supported by Deafkids who I've been told are very good so it's not a total waste of an evening I guess!

Artie Fufkin

jobotic

Yeah how was it? Got a ticket to see them in Ramsgate (although can't go unless someone drives).

alan nagsworth

I was too quick to pass judgement in my last post because it was really fucking good fun. The crowd went absolutely bonkers, they played for like an hour and half - including the classic bit where they do like 9 short songs in 2 minutes - Yasuko kept talking about how much they love the UK and always enjoy being here, and they closed with a cover of "Neat Neat Neat"!

I fucking love them, man. They're a technicolour cartoon explosion. Full band or not, their show is a total blast.

alan nagsworth

Deafkids were alright but it got really boring towards the end.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: alan nagsworth on October 17, 2019, 11:28:22 PM
I was too quick to pass judgement in my last post because it was really fucking good fun. The crowd went absolutely bonkers, they played for like an hour and half - including the classic bit where they do like 9 short songs in 2 minutes - Yasuko kept talking about how much they love the UK and always enjoy being here, and they closed with a cover of "Neat Neat Neat"!

I fucking love them, man. They're a technicolour cartoon explosion. Full band or not, their show is a total blast.

I really need to give the two-person line-up another chance, by the sounds of it!

alan nagsworth

Yeah, I mean there's not really a whole lot "happening" on stage - yer man shredding punk noise with his breathing mask covering most of his face, Yasuko pressing little buttons on her controller with one hand so you can't really tell what elements of the music she's triggering at all - but in spite of this, the racket they create is crystal clear and absolutely rollicking. I mean it's Melt-Banana! (I'm telling myself this as much as anyone else) Just having an excuse to listen to loads of their best songs played at scorching volume is pretty much worth paying for in itself.

Neville Chamberlain

True. I think, looking back, I was just disappointed I wasn't able to watch the absolutely unfuckingbelievable drummer like I did when I saw Melt Banana years ago on the Cell Scape tour, so I just spent the whole evening being disappointed and not really getting into it.

DrGreggles

Gruff Rhys last night. Tremendous stuff.
Weird that he now has as many solo albums as SFA ones, but it means that he can put together a bloody strong 2 hour set.
Decent band he's got around him too - particularly the drummer.

Artie Fufkin

As they're playing local(ish) to me, I'm off to see those Wildhearts fellas tonight.

SteveDave

Robyn Hitchcock's playing Union Chapel on Tuesday with 2 of the Soft Boys and a cellist instead of the bass player but it's £30. Someone make my mind up for me. Please.

Artie Fufkin

^I love Hitchcock, and I love Union Chapel, so I'd say go. Definitely. However, the last time I saw Hitchcock he was a bit of a tit, and quite aloof, as if he couldn't be bothered to be there. This could have been a one off, though a friend saw him on a separate occassion and said the same^