Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:24:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: king_tubby on December 12, 2019, 11:59:14 AM
Gotta say though, love a half ten gig finish, back home in bed by 11 with ringing ears and a cup of herbal tea.

I like early gig finishes too, especially in London as you get the option of catching an earlier no so full of pissed up wankers train home, as well as the option to go to a local pub for a post gig discussion before getting the last one home depending on how you feel.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: king_tubby on December 12, 2019, 11:58:30 AM
They're playing with Mono the next night aren't they? You should go to that too.

Nah Mono are shite!

Captain Crunch

Quote from: king_tubby on December 12, 2019, 11:59:14 AM
Gotta say though, love a half ten gig finish, back home in bed by 11 with ringing ears and a cup of herbal tea.

If I had my way most gigs would start at half five, with free tea and biscuits.  Home in time for Buffy innit.   

Anyone else manage to catch The Telescopes this week?  I thought it was a treat and so nice to have a LOUD gig for once.  Sweet.

Quote from: Captain Crunch on December 12, 2019, 07:49:34 PM

so nice to have a LOUD gig for once.  Sweet.

I miss those things  (having said that, the last really loud gig I was at left me with permanent tinnitus in my left ear thanks to Mark E Smith messing about with the guitar amp.  Cheers, Mark).

king_tubby

hummingofevil

Quote from: chveik on November 24, 2019, 04:51:49 PM
I'm really jealous of people having the opportunity to watch Shellac live. have fun lads

They were utterly ace. You're welcome.

hummingofevil

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 12, 2019, 07:01:18 PM
Nah Mono are shite!

I thought they were ace at Supersonic. Like watching pre-soundtrack Mogwai in a decent venue. Post-rock that is a bit of a laugh and not tedious wank.

alan nagsworth

I just don't really enjoy post-rock in that form at all. Bores the tits off me. I would fall asleep if I sat down to watch it at the Barbican.

humming did you manage to get Carly Rae tickets?

chveik

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 13, 2019, 01:12:20 AM
They were utterly ace. You're welcome.

ah I'm glad! any new material?

I was in Nam

Richard Dawson tonight - almost brutally timed after last night...

Famous Mortimer

Fred Frith is playing some relatively small venue tomorrow night, but I only found out right now and the hassle of changing a bunch of plans at short notice weighs heavy on me. Plus, while I know his name and his CV, I'm not sure I've listened to a Fred Frith record in...perhaps ever? I must have played the Henry Cow collection at least once, but I have zero memory of doing so.

NoSleep

A Fred Frith gig could be one of many possibilities from the numerous times I've seen him. What's the lineup he's playing with? Or is it a solo gig?

Famous Mortimer

NoSleep

Could be fun. He's a student of the free improv school when in solo mode, drawing on the work of other guitarists in the field like Derek Bailey, Hans Reichel & Keith Rowe.

hummingofevil

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 13, 2019, 02:49:36 PM
I just don't really enjoy post-rock in that form at all. Bores the tits off me. I would fall asleep if I sat down to watch it at the Barbican.

humming did you manage to get Carly Rae tickets?

WHHAAATTT??!?!! Didn't even notice. Fucking Twitter and it's algorithms. Just grabbed a couple now for Manchester. They've bumped her to Brixton Academy so tickets still on sale. Christ that's the tiny bit of good news in my life I needed today.

By all that, I mean cheers. :)

hummingofevil

Quote from: chveik on December 13, 2019, 02:52:18 PM
ah I'm glad! any new material?

Couldn't tell you. Soz. Wing walker was highlight once again.

king_tubby

There was new stuff tonight and it sounded goooood. God dammit, I love Shellac so much. During the Q&A someone shouted 'MUSIC!'

'Ma'am, this is part of the show'

hummingofevil

Quote from: king_tubby on December 13, 2019, 11:32:53 PM
There was new stuff tonight and it sounded goooood. God dammit, I love Shellac so much. During the Q&A someone shouted 'MUSIC!'

'Ma'am, this is part of the show'

I might have mentioned it once or twice but went to Primavera this year for the pop/women. Not arsed at all about the bands /men but sneaked in Shellac and Suede (and bit of Primal Scream - who were - for balance - utter cringe dogshit) and they were both awesome.  As a teenager britpoper  (I loathe shite now) I genuinley think guitar bands are dead to me and have been for years but fuck me if there is one band that are still essential it's Shellac. Firstly, they just (obviously) SOUND better than every other guitar band ever but to me it almost like a DJ set. I don't really care what songs they playing but the three of them are awesome individually and the grooves they produce make them, weirdly, the most danceably guitar band I know. I just ADORE them.

hummingofevil

Ha ha. Youtube has just kicked up Babies. So I will immediately backtrack. I fucking love Babies.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: hummingofevil on December 13, 2019, 09:59:52 PM
WHHAAATTT??!?!! Didn't even notice. Fucking Twitter and it's algorithms. Just grabbed a couple now for Manchester. They've bumped her to Brixton Academy so tickets still on sale. Christ that's the tiny bit of good news in my life I needed today.

By all that, I mean cheers. :)

I missed out when it was announced for the Roundhouse and remarked that it was daft she wasn't at a bigger venue like Brixton Academy. Lo and behold, a few days later... Pretty weird that venue hasn't sold out though, as the other ones went fucking quick.

Boris, Envy and Arabrot were all excellent last night at Oval Space. Quite irritating that Arabrot only for a 30 minute slot but it was still a proper treat to finally see a band I've loved for many years playing "The Horns of the Devil Grow", an absolute belter.

Envy isn't the sort of thing I would ever choose to listen to but they were fucking excellent. Great waves of emo/post-rock performed very well by a lovely bunch of lads.

Boris were just a fucking force of nature. Shamefully I've only ever listened to Pink a couple of times, and Loud Rocks and New Album maybe once apiece, so I didn't recognise any of the material, but my god, it was crushingly heavy. The drummer is such a commanding presence, standing up whenever possible to grasp up at the stars, yelling ceremoniously and banging fuck out of a gong. I had an utterly wretched hangover all day but that gig sorted me right out. Boris's last song, a huge wall of sludge noise that felt like it went on for about 15 minutes, absolutely washed right over me and cleansed me. Fantastic. I was there with about 9 other mates and we all had an absolutely top night.

I was in Nam

Quote from: I was in Nam on December 13, 2019, 03:34:00 PM
Richard Dawson tonight - almost brutally timed after last night...

Who was fantastic, great stuff.

Artie Fufkin

^So wanna see Dawson - gutted I missed him when he came near to me^

Pink Gregory

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 14, 2019, 04:59:18 PMQuite irritating that Arabrot only for a 30 minute slot but it was still a proper treat to finally see a band I've loved for many years playing "The Horns of the Devil Grow", an absolute belter.

I have seen Arabrot but the one time, I swear they played for about an hour and ten minutes, in a church with a huge stained glass winder behind them.  That was nice.

kaprisky

Shellac in Camden last night. Great thumping fun! I imagine this is what Led Zep would sound like if they were still going! Beige Palace from Leeds opened things up and kind of reminded me of Prolapse, with that girl/boy shouty vocals dynamic.

king_tubby

Fucking hell, they were support on the whole tour? Thought we'd only got them cos they're local.

Dreadful business all round.

king_tubby

So Boris and Årabrot last night. Bit of a mixed bag, felt like shite so nearly didn't make it. Årabrot were on at 8 so only caught the last three songs, ffs, but enjoyed that. Lasted an hour of Boris before going home - kind of disappointed. I'm not knowledgeable about them by any means, so I don't know if this is usually the case but I was hoping for some ass-pounding riffs rather than post-rock noodling. I mean, there was a bit, and maybe it picked up after I left, but yeah, it made me sad.

NoSleep

That name is an albatross around the neck.

non capisco

I've got a spare for The Utopia Strong at Cafe OTO tomorrow night if anyone's looking, can sadly no longer make it.  PM me if you want your chance to be hilarious and shout out requests for 'Snooker Loopy'.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: non capisco on December 19, 2019, 01:56:32 PM
I've got a spare for The Utopia Strong at Cafe OTO tomorrow night if anyone's looking, can sadly no longer make it.  PM me if you want your chance to be hilarious and shout out requests for 'Snooker Loopy'.
They're playing down the road (13 miles down the road) from me on Saturday. Curse my laziness!

non capisco

Quote from: non capisco on December 19, 2019, 01:56:32 PM

Probably just as well no-one wanted this cause Nags reckons it was shite. Didn't even play 'Snooker Loopy' etc. (knock that one on the head now please, non capisco:-ed.)