Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:12:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

The Just Joans in Rainham, Kent tonight.

They good?

jobotic

I'll answer it myself.

Yeah they're good, they're fucking wonderful.

If you cunts don't like this it's not the place I thought it was

https://youtu.be/wno0X0Bt3J8

Pingers

I'm going to see Adrian Sherwood do his thing at the end of the month, for the first time in my long and wasted life. Got there in the end.

NoSleep

Will that be with the Tackhead crew?

Sebastian Cobb

To give me something to look forward to throughout the rest of the year and to get me through january  I've bought some gig tickets recently.

March - Jehst
May - Average White Band
June - Haggis Horns
August - King Creosote
August - JAMC

Pingers

kitsofan34

Has anyone been to see Danny Brown live before and if so, would you recommend?

Artie Fufkin

Rachael Dadd playing in Ramsgate on Thursday.......should I go?

Norton Canes

Saw Poliça at Gorilla in MCR at the weekend. Nice, but all the electronic stuff was on backing tracks so there wasn't any improvisation or jamming; all the songs were very much as recorded.

The ineffable Katie Gately is playing Salford on May 31st, very tempted.

Crabwalk

Vanishing Twin in Cambridge tonight. There are two more turns on the bill: Red Red Eyes and Jellica. No idea if they're any good but amazing value for 8 quid.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Norton Canes on February 11, 2020, 10:47:32 AM
The ineffable Katie Gately is playing Salford on May 31st, very tempted.
Thought that said "The Inflatable Katie Gately" for a minute, which would be a good name for her next album.

Pauline Walnuts

Something something I would't mind blowing up her inflation valve! [/Slowthai]

Glitch King

Glitch King! ✌🏻🤴🏻

non capisco

Protomartyr at the Lexington in April, thrilled to bits because I fucking adore that band and venue and it sold out in minutes. Joe Casey has become one of my favourite lyricists and I cannot wait to hear new material. Also going with my pal Ed who I pushed the band on recently because I knew he'd love them and I'm glad to say he fell for 'em hard. Haven't been looking forward to a gig this much since Rocket From The Crypt reformed in 2013.

Sebastian Cobb

I bagged a resale ticket for Stiff Little Fingers today off the back of some Stewart Lee spam, it had sold out last time I looked so am quite happy with that result.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: jobotic on January 11, 2020, 11:56:09 PM
I'll answer it myself.

Yeah they're good, they're fucking wonderful.

If you cunts don't like this it's not the place I thought it was

https://youtu.be/wno0X0Bt3J8

They've released this show for three quid on bandcamp today.

dr beat

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 18, 2020, 07:25:22 PM
I bagged a resale ticket for Stiff Little Fingers today off the back of some Stewart Lee spam, it had sold out last time I looked so am quite happy with that result.

Did a support slot for SLF about 12 years ago. I remember nothing about it, but am glad they're still going.

sardines

The ineffable Katie Gately is playing Salford on May 31 very tempted.

I wonder how the new stuff will go down live.
I had expected the new album to fully blow my mind but on first few listens it is not quite connecting. There are bits which remind me of Danny Elfman and not in a good way.

Edit: royally ballsed up the quote

Famous Mortimer

My friends are all (well, about three of them) losing their minds over the news that Judas Priest are playing here in September. As we're all (well, not all) fans of "Heavy Metal Parking Lot", there's a good chance we're all going to go dressed as people from that fine documentary and either be treated as kings or get our heads thoroughly kicked in.

imitationleather

I went to see The Orielles tonight. It was good fun but I've probably got coronavirus now for sure.

Captain Crunch

Not sure if you would agree but I don't think gigs are particularly innovative.  We had the 'let's play this album in full' approach and sometimes people will put on a video to give you something to look at but on the whole gigs today are pretty much the same as they were 20 years ago.

Having said that, my favourite, New Model Army seemed to have come up with a wheeze, a FIVE HOUR gig!  Cor!  You have to go home and have a rest half way through but that's probably for the best.  Is this a new thing or have other bands been doing this for a while now?

https://www.newmodelarmy.org/

My favourite band ever could play every single one of my favourite songs of theirs with accompanying lazer show and fireworks and I'd still be bored to fuck after 5 hours I think. An hour and a half is the sweet spot for me.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on February 28, 2020, 11:22:00 AM
My favourite band ever could play every single one of my favourite songs of theirs with accompanying lazer show and fireworks and I'd still be bored to fuck after 5 hours I think. An hour and a half is the sweet spot for me.

Yep, it's a horrible feeling when your favourite band are killing it live but it's going on a bit too long - in the back of your mind: "Please stop before I no longer enjoy this."

NoSleep

Quote from: Captain Crunch on February 28, 2020, 10:34:34 AM
Not sure if you would agree but I don't think gigs are particularly innovative.  We had the 'let's play this album in full' approach and sometimes people will put on a video to give you something to look at but on the whole gigs today are pretty much the same as they were 20 years ago.

Having said that, my favourite, New Model Army seemed to have come up with a wheeze, a FIVE HOUR gig!  Cor!  You have to go home and have a rest half way through but that's probably for the best.  Is this a new thing or have other bands been doing this for a while now?

https://www.newmodelarmy.org/

Grateful Dead were famous for their lengthy shows. You couldn't stop them playing.

peanutbutter

Went to Printworks there last week for Max Cooper, Floating Points and DJ Koze; have absolutely no recollection of Floating Points beyond leaving to wander about when he came on and being there for when DJ Koze came on but the venue was pretty great!

RE: long gigs, didn't Ken Dodd do 4+ hour shows in his later years?

Captain Crunch

Quote from: NoSleep on February 28, 2020, 03:18:42 PM
Grateful Dead were famous for their lengthy shows. You couldn't stop them playing.

But to them it felt like about four minutes!  No seriously did they use this as a selling point?  These New Model Army gigs are the first time I've seen a band use the length of the set as a novelty. 

I must admit I'm torn; on the one hand I think it's very sweet and, knowing them, they'll probably pull out some juicy album tracks and covers but on the other hand can you imagine getting towards the two hour mark and realising you've got another 40 minutes to go AND you'll be doing it all over again tomorrow?  I'm not sure.  I wonder if they'll put on tea and biscuits in case anyone starts flagging?

NoSleep

I think the Dead were just well known for playing long sets rather than it being a selling point. In an era when the average set of a band was 45-60 minutes they played for about 2-3 hours or so at their gigs in London in the early 70's (saw them at Wembley Arena and the Lyceum).

Sun Ra could easily play long sets too (I've heard about seven hour gigs). Likewise Terry Riley would play solo all-nighters.