Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:42:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Goldentony tells me that Group Doueh were whooping it up in the audience during Khaira Arby's set at ATP last weekend, so I thought I'd check out some tracks by her (more great North African music) and now I've booked a ticket for her gig tomorrow at Cafe OTO. Hopefully there's a copy of her latest CD, Timbuktu Tarab, for sale there, as the tracks I've heard so far are awesome.

colonel k

Quote from: Paaaaul on May 16, 2011, 12:07:14 PM
A few days ago I saw The Black Spiders in a pub in Cambridge.

Although their records are nearly all disappointing compared to Pete Spiby's previous stuff with Groop Dogdrill and Future Ex-Wife, they have developed massively in the last 12 months as a live band and are now fucking phenomenal. If you think you may enjoy a Sabbath-y  wall of sound, go and see them and you will not be disappointed.

Saw The Black Spiders last night at the Slade Rooms in Wolverhampton. Have to agree, they sounded fantastic. They seem as if they genuinley love what they do - so much enthusiasm from every band member throughout the gig, plus alot of banter and audience participation. Terrific - a must see.

djtrees

I want to go and see The Warsaw Village Band in Liverpool on Saturday however it is kind of part of the tedious Sound City thing. Does anyone know if I can just get into one gig to see one band? Or do I have to pay £22.50 to see loads of fucking shite indie bands?

Also I saw Nathan Bell a couple of time over the last week or so. He used to be in Lungfish apparently, not aware of their work, and now he does odd banjo nonsense. If you get a chance go and see him. He might have fucked off back to that America now though.

holyzombiejesus

Saw Chain & The Gang last night. They wore band uniforms. More bands should have uniforms.

Famous Mortimer

While at the Moon Duo gig, I noticed a poster for Godspeed You Black Emperor in Leeds in July. If anyone fancies a night out at that, let's have a meet-up.

Neville Chamberlain

Seeing Victorian English Gentlemens Club on Monday. I've heard good things about their live gigs - anyone here seen them?

Neville Chamberlain

Well the band was excellent, although the gig was severely under-attended, which was a shame. Oh, and Smell out of This Is England was there too!

CaledonianGonzo

Attended a very rainy - and in my case very drunken - Stag & Dagger Festival in Glasgow at the weekend.  And saw, in Twitter-review format:

Blue Sky Archives - Not really my cup of tea, tbh
Wake The President! - 2011 seems a bit of an odd time for a post-Franz Ferdinand Orange Juice revival.
Colourmusic - Bearded American stunt-rockers with too much falsetto going on in the vocals for teatime.
Michael Kiwanuka - Average singer-songwriter
Ed Sheeran - Offensively Prince Harry-esque singer-songwriter.  Newton Falker-levels of aggravation.
Ghostpoet - Really rather excellent UK dubsteppy rap stuff.  Top.
Toro Y Moi - Overly smooth super-processed Miami Vice-isms.  Sounded like Simply Red.
Withered Hand - Genius singer-songwriter.  It can be done.
Warpaint - Not bad but was all a bit samey.
Bo Ningen - Mental Japanese noise theatrics.  Blew my wig off.
Yuck - Don't possess an original bone in their body, but at least they're ripping off people I like (Dinosaur Jnr, early TFC).  The Pains of Being Pure At Heart do it better, though.

Then I went for a kebab.

Victorian English Gentlemens Club also played, but I under-attended their show as well, Nev.

scarecrow

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 24, 2011, 12:19:11 PM

Wake The President! - 2011 seems a bit of an odd time for a post-Franz Ferdinand Orange Juice revival.

Ahh, I hate these guys. Clearly indebted to the Postcard roster, but lacking any of its wit.
Spoiler alert
One of them- who had previously attempted to cuckold me- allegedly refused to have sex with an acquaintance of mine because she insisted that he use protection, while the other is a mainstay of twee pop clubnights where he makes a point of sitting on his own and looking miserable.
[close]
Great blokes though!

jaydee81

They were on Jools Holland. I have to say at first the propsect of an all girl group playing gloomy music did seem too good to be true. I love that shit.
However, agreed, their songs were all a bit dull and never really went anywhere. Plus their wiki page mentions Red Hot Chili Peppers too many times.

Key

I saw Warpaint last week at the Lancaster library (which is a terrible venue sound-wise) and thought they were very enjoyable. Loud and gloomy guitars with that kind of sweet husky Kim Deal type vocal delivery, and Stella Mozgawa is a fantastic drummer.  I really loved their first EP, but then their album didn't really do it for me bar a few songs, but I think it was produced a little too anemically. I reckon they could do well to be a bit more economical with their song structures, every song doesnt need to be 6 minutes long.

Waking Life

Attended a very rainy - and in my case very drunken - Stag & Dagger Festival in Glasgow at the weekend.  And saw, in Twitter-review format:

Blue Sky Archives - Not really my cup of tea, tbh
Colourmusic - Bearded American stunt-rockers with too much falsetto going on in the vocals for teatime.
Michael Kiwanuka - Average singer-songwriter
Ed Sheeran - Offensively Prince Harry-esque singer-songwriter.  Newton Falker-levels of aggravation.
Ghostpoet - Really rather excellent UK dubsteppy rap stuff.  Top.
Toro Y Moi - Overly smooth super-processed Miami Vice-isms.  Sounded like Simply Red.
Withered Hand - Genius singer-songwriter.  It can be done.
Bo Ningen - Mental Japanese noise theatrics.  Blew my wig off.
Yuck - Don't possess an original bone in their body, but at least they're ripping off people I like (Dinosaur Jnr, early TFC).  The Pains of Being Pure At Heart do it better, though.

Then I went for a kebab.

Victorian English Gentlemens Club also played, but I under-attended their show as well, Nev.

A 3-in-1 Kebab perchance?

I went to that festival last year, didn't realise it was on at the weekend.  Wake The President! are supporting Pains of Being Pure At Heart in a couple of weeks, which I'll be attending.  My track record of catching support bands is very poor though, but I'm a sucker for Orange Juice (even poor rip offs) so I might try to make it along early enough.

CaledonianGonzo

El Diablero, I believe...

Anyway, last night I went to see Cuban son legends Sierra Maestra and a right royal rave up it was too.  When I bought my ticket a few weeks back it looked like they'd only sold 6 or 7 and that it would either be cancelled or there'd be more people on-stage than in the audience.  However, either a late surge in ticket sales or the promoters giving away huge numbers to local salsa dance classes resulted in a pretty packed Queen's Hall and a lot of folk giving it laldy.  I even got dragged into a conga at one point.  I'm no expert on Cuban music but they seemed to run through a whole variety of different styles - bolero, rumba, son, etc.  Some racket they made for an all-acoustic group, too (though admittedly the bass player was using an electric and there was nine of them). 

So glad my misgivings were inaccurate.  There's nothing worse than seeing a band in an empty venue that's way too big for them.

bomb_dog

My Dying Bride last Friday night at Wolverhampton Wolfrun Hall. First tour they've done in years, previously choosing instead to do one-offs in London or Bradford, which probably accounts for the lower turnout of only around 300 people, so the gig was nicely undercrowded, unlike the sell-out when we last saw them play in London with Anethema and Paradise Lost a year or so ago. Crowd were appreciative, band played well, great night out.

My Dying Bride, The Dreadful Hours at Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 20th May 2011

Captain Crunch

Just bought a ticket for Half Man Half Biscuit in Cardiff this August.  Not sure what to expect but looking forward to it. 

CaledonianGonzo

Haha!

The combination of semi-sozzled web-browsing and the last-minute release of unexpectedly good tickets has seen me make an impulse buy to go to see Neil Diamond tomorrow night!

Song sung blue - everybody knows one!

CaledonianGonzo

Well - the man that few people actually call The Jewish Elvis was one tip-top form on Saturday night.  If there was any expectation that he would do a Johnny Cash and go stripped-back in the manner of his last couple of albums with Rick Rubin, it was quashed by the fact that his 20-odd piece band took to the stage wearing matching blue kaftans.  Of course it was all a bit showbiz, but there wasn't a rhinestone in sight and he's still got a cracking set of pipes on him.

Combined with good weather, copious booze and a setlist which touched all the hoped-for bases (a version of Cracklin' Rosie that seemed to go on forever, a n epic go at America that would make Nelson Swillie weep on his copy of The Jazz Singer) and I've seldom been as thoroughly entertained.   I actually sat at his feet as he sang I'm A Believer, and it was a semi-holy experience.  All in all rather splendid for a one-off venture undertaken on a whim.

alan nagsworth

I'm going to see the mighty PRIMUS next week (Wednesday 13th) at the Brixton O2 Academy. I'm fucking bricking it, lads. It's the most exciting gig opportunity since seeing The Locust a few years back and I've not been to very many exciting gigs at all since. They never come to these shores and an opportunity like this was so shockingly crucial at a time when I had little to no money at all... then I get a phone call a few days later from my girlfriend's mate, who I had at that point only met once, telling me he had bought me a ticket!! WTF. I'm pretty sure it's a standing ticket as well. OMG.

Were any other 'Whores fortunate to get tickets?! It would be the primest of the prime Primus meeting spots!

Waking Life

I went to see Half Man Half Biscuit last week.  They were pretty good, although it took the venue a while to sort the sound out which was a bit of a shame.  The vocals were buried a little too deep so some of the witticisms were lost.  A good set list though spanning their 25 years or so and an extended 24 Hour Garage People.

I felt a bit out of place in the audience though with my full head of hair.

fat_abbott

Eels tonight in Newcastle. To say I'm a touch giddy would be an understatement.

Mightycheese

Did any 'whores go to the Flaming Lips gig at Jodrell Bank?

I know they're a band who split opinion, and Mr. Coyne can be hugely annoying, but that was just a lovely day of science and jumping round in confetti and balloons.

Any good Manchester gigs coming up over the next few weeks?

Hav enoticed The Miserable Rich on 19th and Two Gallants on 22nd. Anyone heard on "The Suns"? Playing the castle hotel on 14th.

Marty McFly

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 04, 2011, 07:46:46 PM
I'm going to see the mighty PRIMUS next week (Wednesday 13th) at the Brixton O2 Academy. I'm fucking bricking it, lads. It's the most exciting gig opportunity since seeing The Locust a few years back and I've not been to very many exciting gigs at all since. They never come to these shores and an opportunity like this was so shockingly crucial at a time when I had little to no money at all... then I get a phone call a few days later from my girlfriend's mate, who I had at that point only met once, telling me he had bought me a ticket!! WTF. I'm pretty sure it's a standing ticket as well. OMG.

Were any other 'Whores fortunate to get tickets?! It would be the primest of the prime Primus meeting spots!

Good work Nagsy, I went to see Weezer there last week and they were FUCKING INCREDIBLE. Never been to the Academy before, it's not a bad venue for its size, other than the getting out at the end.. I don't think I actually walked, I was just carried along by a sea of sweaty people.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 04, 2011, 07:46:46 PM

Aaarrgghhh! I had no idea - and all their UK gigs are sold out! Bah!

Neville Chamberlain

Saw Avi Buffalo last night. Wouldn't usually have been my thing, but I read good stuff about from 'reliable sources'. And they were indeed very good in a poppy/folky/psychedelic kind of way. The bass playing in particular was worthy of laudation!

fat_abbott

Seasick Steve and Newton Faulkner tonight at a festival in Stockton of all places. Could be interesting...

Famous Mortimer

Acid Mothers Temple are touring later in the year, I'll be off to see them in Nottingham. Hurrah!

ThickAndCreamy

Stevie R. Moore is playing in London next Thursday. I'm very, very tempted to go.

Famous Mortimer

Dammit! I would have loved to see him myself, but he's nowhere closer to me than Manchester.

http://rsmtour.tumblr.com/dates

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 05, 2011, 05:36:36 PM
Acid Mothers Temple are touring later in the year, I'll be off to see them in Nottingham. Hurrah!

Yep, I noticed that too! I'll be there too, most definitely! Surprised it's at the Bodega - I'd have thought they'd be at least a Rescue Rooms-sized band...!

NoSleep

Bloody fuck... I want to see both R.Stevie Moore and Acid Mothers Temple.