Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:14:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'whores

Started by Famous Mortimer, March 25, 2011, 06:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Well... R. Stevie Moore sorted for now. let me know if you're going, T&C.

ThickAndCreamy

Will do. If I do go I'll end up turning up on the night and buying tickets at the door, as I doubt it'll sell out.

According to wikipedia this is the first year he's ever toured, magnificent.

NoSleep

Yup. He's never toured before. A few years ago there was a false story about him playing the Astoria in Charing X Road.

PaulTMA

Supporting him in Glasgow.  If fact, we've been asked to put him and his band up at the last minute.  Already made my excuses.

Small Man Big Horse

I went to the Applecart Festival, today, largely for the comedy tent (where Mark Steel and Kevin Eldon were performing, amongst others) but caught a few bands as well. Badly Drawn Boy was by far the worst, slagging the audience off, deliberately playing downbeat or new songs, and jesus his ego is out of control. I know he has a reputation for being a miserable bastard, but I went in being a partial admirer, and left thinking he's just an utter twat. If his music was good enough he could get away with such an attitude, but bar two or three songs it really isn't. The Magic Numbers also decided to be quite bleak, which considering how much it rained today really wasn't needed, and the only acts I came away from with admiration for were Saint Etienne and Patrick Wolf - I've never had much time for the latter, but at least he did his best to put on a damn fine show. Plus one of his band is a female trombonist, and that's enough to make me go weak at the knees.

ThickAndCreamy

I hope the R. Stevie Moore gig will still be on despite the riots. I'm definitely going if it is on, the reports from earlier shows seem extremely positive.

NoSleep

Are the riots likely to be a factor?

Spiteface

Just found out that I'm gonna be shelling out to see Ash yet again.

They've announced a "Free All Angels" tour, with them playing said album in full, followed by a greatest hits set.  This alone would be enough for me.  Turns out that Charlotte Hatherly is rejoining them for this tour.

Tickets on sale Friday.  I need to start pricing up this trip now...

Famous Mortimer

Charlotte Hatherley's first album >>> anything Ash ever did (admittedly, I only ever heard their singles).

CaledonianGonzo

Went to see The National last night in Edinburgh.  It was...I dunno...fine, I suppose, but I just couldn't work up much excitement for them.

Though part of that must be down to the Edinburgh Corn Exchange being the worst gig venue in the entiore history of Gig Venues.

Seeing Withered Hand tomorrow night - far more excited about that, even if I only just saw him a couple of months back.

Paaaaul

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 24, 2011, 10:52:17 AM
Went to see The National last night in Edinburgh.  It was...I dunno...fine, I suppose, but I just couldn't work up much excitement for them.

Though part of that must be down to the Edinburgh Corn Exchange being the worst gig venue in the entiore history of Gig Venues.

Seeing Withered Hand tomorrow night - far more excited about that, even if I only just saw him a couple of months back.
I saw them last month headlining Latitude, and they were...I dunno...fine.

alan nagsworth

So, anyone fancy seeing Melvins this November in Birmingham? Myself and a few mates will be in attendance and I cannot waaaiiit!

Famous Mortimer

I wouldn't mind, but there's no way I'm getting back from Birmingham on the same night, and I don't like Melvins enough to pay for a hotel. Are they playing anywhere else?

NoSleep

Forgot to report back on the R. Stevie Moore gig.

Was dead chuffed to find myself seated, before the gig, in the bar below, with not only Stevie himself, but three presenters from Resonance FM, including Mick Hobbs who has been the bass player on some of my favourite tunes (most notably his stay as the bassist for Tim Hodginson's The Work), and add to that an ex-member of PiL (Pete Jones); that made 4 bass players sat at the table counting myself and Stevie (who played bass on his own tunes that night.

The gig started off great, with two of my favourite Moore tracks - Sort Of Way & Play Myself Some Music - and just kept delivering - more favourites and new tunes (at least to me) that hit home straight away. The line-up was simply Stevie, vocals, bass & guitar (playing guitar for parts of the set when the other two were offstage); the guitarist doubled on vocals & the drum did likewise. Apparently there was a 4th member but he had returned to the US on hearing his best friend had been killed by being literally run over by a bus. You wouldn't have been able to tell that the trio was not exactly how he had planned to tour.

Strangeness after the gig, when Stevie decided he wanted some quiet time alone and was unable to find this in the dressing room. First, hiding out of sight in the DJ's booth then, after being discovered, running from the gig via an emergency exit. I was surprised that I was the only one who had reacted to his plea for some space; everyone else just sat it out as said my goodbyes.

You all might be pleased to hear that he's due back in the UK around November.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 30, 2011, 08:52:53 AM
I wouldn't mind, but there's no way I'm getting back from Birmingham on the same night, and I don't like Melvins enough to pay for a hotel. Are they playing anywhere else?

Yep, few spots in the other big cities so you won't be disappointed. A friend of mine says Melvins is the greatest gig he's ever seen and I don't doubt him at all.

http://www.last.fm/music/Melvins/+events

SteveDave

I'm going to see Wooden Shijps next Sunday. I look forward to tinnitus.

I was planning on going to see The Family Stone featuring 3 original members but after seeing their promo video I have decided against paying £30 for a glorified covers band. I wouldn't want to see Sly though either.

Later in the month I'm hoping to get tickets to see Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears.

That is all.

Spiteface

Strongly considering going to see the Manics again in December, they're playing the O2 arena apparently.

The fact this is not on welsh soil like every other Manics gig I've attended might actually make this a much more pleasant experience.  The Cardiff gig back in May, being held on the same day as some big Rugby match, was swarming with plastic taffs. The kind that think "A Design for Life" is a drinking song.

Duckula

The O2 is fucking shite though, that puts me off.

Unoriginal

The Fall, Nightingales and Ted Chippington at Cardiff in two months; the first gig i've been too since Rancid, which was good fun except for the 'punk' cretins punching me in the back of the head every ten seconds.

Neville Chamberlain

Yep, Nightingales for me too! Hoping to see Magazine in Birmingham in November as well...

Must remember to buy a ticket for the Supersonic festival in Brum - anyone else going?

CaledonianGonzo

Really enjoyed Withered Hand last week in Edinburgh, even though I can't escape the nagging feeling that he needs to write a couple more classic songs in short order to a) balance out the show a bit more and b) show that he's still got it.

Was less enraptured by the various support acts:  Meursalt (a little too histrionic), Woodpigeon (a little too Iron'n'Wine) and Eagleowl (a little too lo-fi and to afraid of writing a catchy chorus).

Arcade Fire tomorrow night (keeping Mrs CG company more than anything), but hoping it stays dry as it's up on the castle esplanade and I've been laughing all August at people heading up there for the Tattoo in the rain, forgetting that I was shortly heading there myself.  Was pleasantly surprised to see that The Walkmen and Local Natives were supporting, so will probably check 'em both out - though I saw the latter a few years back at Glastonbury...

PaulTMA

Oh, Edinburgh anti-folk.  Yikes.

CaledonianGonzo

If more people (regardless of genre or geographic location) wrote tunes like Religious Songs or Cornflake, the world would be a better place.

(And Woodpigeon's from Canada).

Paaaaul

I went to see "Warrior Soul" last night at Norwich's Waterfront.

They drew such a small crowd that they were put in one of the smaller rooms at the venue. A friend and I bought tickets independently and were worried to find we had tickets numbered 00001 and 00002, but about 100 people turned up in the end.

Kory Clarke came on stage totally off his head and
- fell over and got himself tied up in his mic lead numerous times
- complained a bunch of times that his mic stand was broken - after he smashed the end off it himself during the opening song
- he pushed the monitor off the front of the stage and cut my friend's head open with the broken mic stand when he picked it up and was putting it back for them
- his band, "The Warrior Soul Band" seemed to be a bit sick of him and were constantly rolling their eyes at each other

Despite all that, the new band were fantastic and he put on a great show. His voice is almost totally shot but he can still carry it off and I would recommend anyone with a passing interest in the band getting to see them on this tour.

Spiteface

Between now and the end of the year, I have three gigs lined-up:

Ash, Bristol O2 Academy, 21st October - Charlotte Hatherley is rejoining them for this tour, which is to mark the 10th anniversary of "Free All Angels" - will be the same format as the "1977" gigs - the album played live in it's entirety followed by a "greatest hits" set.  I've seen Ash quite a few times the last few years, but the return of Charlotte meant I couldn't pass this up.

The Smashing Pumpkins, Birmingham O2 Academy, 19th November - Been waiting for news of Billy Corgan & whoever will tolerate playing in a band with him for ages now, again, a bit out of the way, but will be worth making the effort.  The plan seems to be playing most of "Oceania", the new one.

Manic Street Preachers, London O2 Arena, 17, December - I'm actually seated for this. Having found out what shape the gig will take, may well be for the best.  All 38 singles from the compilation "National Treasures", largely in order, which will be a looooong gig.  There's also talk of some guests appearing.  Most notably the rumour of Kylie Minogue showing up to do "Little Baby Nothing". It's also going to be great not having to put up with quite so many drunken welsh folk this time out, as it's the first non-welsh Manics gig I'll have attended.

Paaaaul

Do you have a family member who works for o2?

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on August 31, 2011, 02:45:07 PMMust remember to buy a ticket for the Supersonic festival in Brum - anyone else going?

Yep and looking forward to it.  Although I've never heard of most of the bands!

alan nagsworth

You Supersonic cunts drive me crazy with your money to throw at an event where so many of the bands are unknown! These days I can only ever invest in a gig which is guaranteed to be incredible. By the time I realised Secret Chiefs 3 were playing this year and that they would in fact justify the entire weekend ticket price, I couldn't get the time off work for it.

FUCK YOU GUYS.

sirhenry

I'm in a quandary - I was rather tempted to go and see Panic! at the Disco when they come to Leeds. But my teenage daughter and her best friends are going, so it's likely that I'll just end up feeling old and sad.[nb]I am expecting any replies to call me sad for wanting to see them at all. So fuck the lot of you in advance.[/nb]

Spiteface

Quote from: Paaaaul on September 27, 2011, 08:00:53 PM
Do you have a family member who works for o2?

Nope, it just happened a bunch of gigs I wanted to see were in O2 venues.