Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:07:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bodie and Doyle get their big screen outting

Started by VegaLA, March 29, 2011, 12:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

Yeah, the Professionals gets the big screen treatment.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/20003/-professionals-tv-series-becomes-film#

I can see Oldman playing this and I think Butler is more of an obvious choice than Stratham.

Anyone watch this when it was broadcast? I'm surprised my parents let me watch it now I think of it. Was it violent back then?

kidsick5000

Yeah, but Oldman in the Jackson role is a bit of a lazy choice given that he's Commisioner Gordon.

It'd be nice if they didn't make it an just an origin story and got straight into it. Origin stories are pretty much done to death now.

I remember the original quite well, lots of cool screeching of Ford Capri's stopping millimeters from each other.
It wasn't that violent. and looking back, like a lot of shows from that time, a lot slower than we'd like now.
Gordon Jackson was ace though. Something about Scotsmen being in charge thast just works

Blumf

Any idea if it's going to be set in the 70/80s or the present?

Neomod

Didn't Bodie and Doyle meet in an episode of the New Avengers? I have a vague recollection of them being in the same episode (Collins and Shaw that is).

I guess they are going to ignore http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CI5:_The_New_Professionals

and quite rightly so.

There was an NF-based episode, never shown in this country, wasn't there? "Klansmen" in which Bodie is revealed to be a racist. Hope they incorporate that.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: kidsick5000 on March 29, 2011, 11:57:11 AM
Yeah, but Oldman in the Jackson role is a bit of a lazy choice given that he's Commisioner Gordon.

It'd be nice if they didn't make it an just an origin story and got straight into it. Origin stories are pretty much done to death now.

I remember the original quite well, lots of cool screeching of Ford Capri's stopping millimeters from each other.
It wasn't that violent. and looking back, like a lot of shows from that time, a lot slower than we'd like now.
Gordon Jackson was ace though. Something about Scotsmen being in charge thast just works

re: Oldman, although I suppose the casting could be unimaginative, I feel it's a reflection of the type of mature characters roles that he's starting to play these days and I don't think he'll be phoning in the same performance. Interesting to think he's going to be starting playing Cowley the same age as Jackson did.

Although I guess it depends on the episodes, but I would say the programme was quite violent – in fact, watching some on the ITV 4 repeats, I've been surprised by how much so a few were.

Re: Origin – well, that's how they like to do it, sets it up nicely for possible sequels.

biggytitbo

True fact- when I was a kid I used to think they were called Bogey and Doyle! Hahahahaha! Hehe oh dear, them were the days.

Serge

If they do do an origin story, I hope they remember that Doyle was born in Derby and set a good half of the film there.

Jake Thingray

Mixed feelings about this, and whether it will actually be made. Surely the UK market, in box-office terms, is not enough to support a decent-sized production and as regards the original TV series, Americans don't know it and it doesn't have the 'cult' cachet certain other old series have. And look what happened the last time one of Brian Clemens' series was adapted for the big screen.

Absorb the anus burn

Some of my earliest memories concern acting out scenes from The Professionals in my infant school playground & begging my Mum to let me stay up and watch at a weekend (so cool that she usually said yes)..... Eek! Tricky one this. The reworking on Sky with Edward Woodward a few years back was pants... But a film??? Hard to know what to think. If they can get Peter Capaldi to play Cowley, then it might not be a disaster.

I was faintly disturbed by that New Avengers episode with Martin Shaw & Lewis Collins... Only because I wanted to believe that Purdey was a virgin who would only spread her legs for Steed, Gambit or (of course) the Puke of Edinburgh.

sirhenry

Wasn't Who Dares Wins supposed to be a Professionals movie? Though maybe, with the anti-nuclear group planning a nuclear disaster, that should be the basis for a 'Films that undermine themselves with their basic premise' thread.

SteveDave

Quote from: VegaLA on March 29, 2011, 12:26:28 AM
Yeah, the Professionals gets the big screen treatment.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/20003/-professionals-tv-series-becomes-film#

I can see Oldman playing this and I think Butler is more of an obvious choice than Stratham.

Anyone watch this when it was broadcast? I'm surprised my parents let me watch it now I think of it. Was it violent back then?

I used to love The Professionals. I had a chest holster for a gun with the logo on. I couldn't put it on myself as I was stupid.