Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:07:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Misleading marketing

Started by An tSaoi, March 30, 2011, 10:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

I'm sure I've mentioned it on here before but there's a Donnie Darko trailer that makes it out to be some kind of teen mystery thriller caper. It features both of the car-with-screetching-brakes scenes (which amount to about 7 seconds in the whole film) a bit from the 30 second scene where someone gets shot, and the one very chaste and brief 'sex' scene (which doesn't actually show any sex). I'm sure it has the deep voiceover bloke too.

Not a film, but I think it deserves a mention for its sheer gaul.

A shameless attempt to mooch off the success of Goldeneye for the N64 by posing as some sort of sequel. Not only is it shit, you don't even get to control James Bond in it! It has nothing to do with the film Goldeneye or the makers of the game and justifies its cheeky title by giving your character a robotic golden eye. At least I only paid about a fiver for it.

More brass neck than goldeneye, eh lads?

Old Nehamkin

The back cover of the Office space dvd features three images, ALL of which feature Jennifer Aniston, including a big picture of her face which also appears on the spine, even though she's in maybe five scenes. The film is also included in "The jennifer Aniston collection" boxset, standing out somewhat among various fluffy romantic comedy and I can't imagine being much appreciated by the sort of person who would buy such a set in the first place.

Also, this:

kidsick5000

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on April 15, 2011, 08:55:24 PM
Also, this:

It's one thing over emphasising a small role, or changing the design to look softer and more rom-com-ish. But surely claiming something  is a "smash-hit" has to be backed up by actual facts?

Calling it a comedy is also a pisstake. You can count the number of humourous moments in that film on one hand, and safely declare all of them unfunny.

SavageHedgehog

I remember Equilibrium (the old VHS rental case anyway) had a circle on the case proudly announcing a "Box Office Hit!". It was barely released!

Obel

Quote from: kidsick5000 on April 17, 2011, 08:16:38 AM
It's one thing over emphasising a small role, or changing the design to look softer and more rom-com-ish. But surely claiming something  is a "smash-hit" has to be backed up by actual facts?

Pretty sure it's a joke.

As pointed out in the redlettermedia review; Uhura is a relatively minor character, yet she features heavily on the posters in order to make the film look less nerdy, and appeal more to mainstream and female audiences.

Santa's Boyfriend

Then of course there's this:

...sometimes of course they mislead you deliberately.  I really quite like this trailer Green With Envy.  Stick with it to the end:

"Green With Envy" - Trailer

I've only just realised that Cyborg 3: The Recycler was featured on the first page. I've seen this film and would recommend it to anyone, or at the very least Famous Mortimer.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: clingfilm portent on May 30, 2011, 11:45:50 AM
I've only just realised that Cyborg 3: The Recycler was featured on the first page. I've seen this film and would recommend it to anyone, or at the very least Famous Mortimer.
I've got the horrible feeling I've already seen it, but it's currently downloading so I'll give it a/another go. I relish the chance to see another film with "Cyborg" in the title. With the "Cyborg Cop" series extending past three fims too, there's an embarrassment of riches.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 14, 2011, 12:44:18 AM
Malcolm McDowell is trapped in the past. He's being pursued by a cyberpunk from the future.

Not in this film he's not, as he has little more than a cameo.

I read somewhere that McDowell now has "hundred thousand dollar days", where he instructs his agent to get him one day's work for said amount, presumably this was one such.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 30, 2011, 02:48:56 PM
I've got the horrible feeling I've already seen it, but it's currently downloading so I'll give it a/another go. I relish the chance to see another film with "Cyborg" in the title. With the "Cyborg Cop" series extending past three fims too, there's an embarrassment of riches.

I wasn't aware there were more than three! Off to imdb I go. The first two are among my favourite 'MST3K-grade' bad films. I even edited them down into bitesize chunks on my youtube page, as a tribute.

EDIT: Can't find anything past the third Cyborg Cop?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: clingfilm portent on May 30, 2011, 06:28:20 PM
I wasn't aware there were more than three! Off to imdb I go. The first two are among my favourite 'MST3K-grade' bad films. I even edited them down into bitesize chunks on my youtube page, as a tribute.

EDIT: Can't find anything past the third Cyborg Cop?
Ooops, I should have said "at least three". Also, your link is knackered a bit, but when I sorted it - JOHN RHYS "I'll be in any shitty sci-fi film" DAVIES!!! Annoyingly, I can't see Cyborg Cop 1 at any of my usual download places, as I'm in the mood for something terrible.

greencalx

Having finally got round to watching The Third Man as part of an effort to pass the time before the impending extrusion gets underway, I was surprised to find the trailer placing so much emphasis on the love-story aspect of it.

SOTS

Myself and my flatmate are quite amused with this particular one because I myself was caught out by it.
THIS is the DVD cover for Jennifer Aniston's "The Good Girl."

I remember having seen said cover and read the blurb, and then decided to watch it when it was on TV one night thinking (as the cover seems to indicate) that it was just another brainless Aniston romantic comedy. How wrong was I? I mean, I actually like the film, but I imagine there's a fair few people who were surprised at what actually happens in the film. It's a lot less... lighthearted than the DVD cover implies.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Antiseptic Poetry on May 30, 2011, 09:50:41 AM
As pointed out in the redlettermedia review; Uhura is a relatively minor character, yet she features heavily on the posters in order to make the film look less nerdy, and appeal more to mainstream and female audiences.

Really? To my mind, she is the third most featured crew member, with just as much importance to the story (even part of one of the film's shock twists). More than Bones, more than Scotty. Totally justified that she be on the poster and hardly misleading.

Phil_A

Arnie's American debut was a silly knockabout comedy co-starring Arnold "Top Cat" Stang. It did not, to my knowledge, feature a single explosion.

Blumf

And isn't that picture of Arnie taken about 20 years after the film was made?

Tiny Poster

Cedar Rapids looks like it's going to be a raucous Apatow-derived comedy, with slobbish John C. Reilly getting naive small-town Ed Helms into a lot of trouble at some prestigious works event.

In reality, it's a sweet, almost gentle story about an idealistic but emotionally immature man being cast into the matter-of-fact adult world for the first time, and finding that it's neither Heaven nor Hell, but what you make of it. It's not laugh out loud, but it is an amusing watch.

And the best, sympathetic portrayal of people with shitty sense of humour since Only Fools and Horses.

Panbaams

Here's the cover of the US DVD of Miss Potter:

Ewan McGregor's face has been so over-Photoshopped that the tremendous moustache he wears throughout the film has disappeared completely:

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on April 01, 2011, 12:17:20 PM
Whereas on the other side of the coin, the Sweeney Todd trailers included nothing to indicate that it was a musical at all.

I think we've debated/argued about this before, but I remember seeing at least one trailer for this which featured Johnny Depp singing. A lot.

I'm trying to track it down on YouTube, but having watched the first couple of the trailers on there, I'm actually inclined to agree with you - there's no hint whatsoever that it's a musical. Although Sondheim's name features quite prominently in one of them, and he wrote the 1979 musical adaptation.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on June 16, 2011, 12:54:58 PM
I think we've debated/argued about this before

Including way back on the first page of this thread.

Pepotamo1985

DuncanC

It's got to be this:

With the Photoshopped ice cream and the shit "sightsee later" tag. Eurgh.

Sorry, they didn't have Getting Even With Dad. But don't worry I got you this. It looks like pretty much the same thing.

Also, there were no copies left of that Human Traffic film you said you wanted. But fret not, this was on special offer and appears to be the same kettle of fish:

Aploplectic

I saw Blue Valentine at the weekend – a thoroughly depressing film which shows the breakdown of a couple's marriage and uses flashbacks to the beginning of their relationship to make the end of it even more painful.  Not that you would know this from the DVD cover, which (pessimistically) uses the tagline "A love story for anyone that's ever been in love."

If the blurb on the back didn't name the film or the actors, it would be almost impossible for anyone to guess where it came from – "Blue Valentine is a true love story flooded with romantic memories of the courtship between Dean and Cindy.  The tale is told in past and present as they recall the episodes that brought them together.  Oscar nominated Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling deliver the performance of a lifetime in this unforgettable portrait of a young couple in love."