Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:34:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I think Rufus Hound is a thief.

Started by 2 Light Ales Please, April 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I think stealing someone's schtick is theft just as much as stealing someone's material is - certainly in the comedy world where the schtick's what marks you out.

Remember when Shane Richie used to rip off Vic Reeves?

That no man is an island line does sound very Norman Lovett.

And very unlike the sort of thing your gran would say.

Quote from: Maybe Im Doing It Wrong on April 01, 2011, 09:08:00 PM
I think stealing someone's schtick is theft just as much as stealing someone's material is - certainly in the comedy world where the schtick's what marks you out.

What I've realised over the past couple of days is how trite all this shtick actually is. Out of all the experiences across the human spectrum, Shappi fucking Khorshandi doing a crap joke about the kid coming free with 3 bottles of wine (which I'm sure she does every night in her routine) is (without stating the obvious) meaningless. All these comedians are gonna wake up in about 10 years time and go 'they bought it!' And burst out laughing.

PaulTMA

He's been piss-poor since leaving Junior Senior.

Treguard of Dunshelm

I think Rufus Hound shags hounds while a watching Princess Michael furiously frigs herself to a juddering climax, upon which her snatch spews beery ejaculate all over his hairy back.

Isn't he a major Dr. Who fan? The cunt.

remedial_gash

I think I first saw Hound on totp with Fearne wanker, I was convinced it was Simon Pegg doing a shit 'character' and he he deffo had a beard at the time. It was only when I saw him a couple of years later, that I realised he wasn't 'made up'.

Gash
x

Steven

I'm pretty sure that "No man is an island" jibe is in an early episode of One Foot In The Grave, isn't it? With Victor in the bath.

Though I think I heard someone like Lee Mac update it with.. "except the Isle of Man" which was simple and justifiable. It sounds like a punchline so obvious it must have been almost contemporaneous with the original phrase.

The Cloud of Unknowing

Quote from: Steven on April 02, 2011, 04:24:09 PM
It sounds like a punchline so obvious it must have been almost contemporaneous with the original phrase.

John Dunn.  Friday Night Is Music Night.  1977-ish?

Baby Woodrose

I've disliked him ever since I saw this:

Rufus Hound hits back at the forums
I think he was getting some stick on Digital Spy when he was on that God-awful Chris Evans
thing, 'Famous and Fearless'.

I thought it was a bit hypocritical of him, really, having recently seen
'My Funniest Year: 2000', which consisted almost entirely of Hound abusing various crap
celebrities. He can dish it out, but he can't take it.

To be fair, he's obviously bladdered in that video, but I'm choosing to overlook that detail.

Neil

Quote from: Baby Woodrose on April 02, 2011, 10:39:56 PM
I've disliked him ever since I saw this:
He can dish it out, but he can't take it.

Just like people on forums.

BritishHobo

It did prompt about ten pages of people on DigitalSpy refusing to read all the other posts in the topic on the video and trying to seek out the made-up user he mentioned, which was entertaining for me, because I have no life.

Baby Woodrose

There was no 'Fahrenheit 613', then? Odd.

Funcrusher

That video would seem to confirm Shoulder's assessment of him:

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 01, 2011, 02:27:56 PM
. Outwardly jocular, inside a tangle of narcisissm and insecurity.

Jemble Fred

Although I would also say that it fairly describes most people I've ever known.

I like this commenter's idea of the stand-up comedian establishment:

"The man is funnier than alot of famous standup comedians though like Peter Kay, Lee Evans and Roy 'Chubby' Brown"

If those are the people that come to mind when people think of stand-up you can see why he has a career.

Famous Mortimer

Re: stylistic ripping off, I just watched Norm Macdonald's standup special (which is really good, by the way) and in the course of the 45-minute show, he does four stories, really, where he beats a particular topic into the ground in a manner which may be familiar to any Stewart Lee fans.

Now, he's been doing this since at least the early 90s (his earliest appearances on Weekend Update were shorter versions of this) but I think that, besides the fact I'm sure they'd like each others' work, there's no ripping off on either's part. This may be the case with Hound and whoever too (apart from the bit about the other comedian liking Hound, which I think would be unlikely).

Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2011, 12:12:51 AM
Just like people on forums.

But, unlike people on forums, dishing it out is his job.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Maybe Im Doing It Wrong on April 03, 2011, 10:35:40 AM

And receiving criticism, negative and positive, is also part of his job.

He's a new breed of career comedian. Someone who gets by, making a living in the Television Industry, by being humourous at times, but never Hillarious. I question the ambition and creativity of such comedians, in that fact that he's got an audience (i.e. people know who he is) but he's unable to give this audience anything worthwhile in terms of an act, or a pilot, or a screenplay. I'm assuming Hound's happy because he's been making a living out of this for a few years, but should a comedian have some kind of responsibility to produce something notable? Geez, even Kevin Bishop had his own sketch show.

Is this a new breed? Haven't there always been comedians who make money as talking heads/panel show regulars etc as well as stand up?

Also, because we see Hound on TV doing these things, can we assume that is the limit of his ambition? He might have a bit of a following but is probably best known from the ITV2's Celebrity Juice and the now defunct Argumental. Is it likely that he'd be allowed some sort of star vehicle if he wanted one? Perhaps he's been unsuccessfully pitching show ideas for years now? Or maybe he's got something coming up that just hasn't been announced yet.

Little Hoover

Hound being on that comic relief Celebrity Juice thing made me both warm to and lose respect for him. He was actually quite entertaining on it, but then I had no idea he was a regular on an ITV2 panel show called Celebrity Juice. A show for heat readers as he described it, which you'd think would turn off most comedians.

Of course there is a possibility that he's unsuccessfully pitching ideas, but when you consider his position in the media, and the frequency of how comedy projects are churned out on Television in the last five years then his ideas would have had to have been absolutely godawful not to have been considered.

2 Light Ales Please

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on April 03, 2011, 11:29:18 AMGeez, even Kevin Bishop had his own sketch show.

Hound did have his own 'sitcom' on CBBC last year, I'd say it was the perfect vehicle for him.

Neil

Quote from: Maybe Im Doing It Wrong on April 03, 2011, 10:35:40 AM

Yes, exactly. That YouTube clip was just a comedian doing his job.

Retinend

Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2011, 02:00:33 PM
Yes, exactly. That YouTube clip was just a comedian doing his job.

Could you clarify? I get that he has to make fun of people to be a comedian, but calling forum-goers people "with no lives" isn't really a joke - just a cliché - and it's delivered a little too earnestly to be a breezy comment. I think he definitely has a right to lash out at his detractors, but if we're talking about "his job", then surely he was a remit to do it in a funnier, more lofty way to the hecklers.

Neil

It's obviously trite stuff, ad-libbed from a slightly pissed comedian who is being a bit tongue-in-cheek, but who will also undoubtedly have seen many witless, obnoxious comments being made about him, his career, and his eccentric facial hair. 

I just think it's fine for someone like that to fire a few volleys back every now and again.  My issue isn't with him, but with the forum commenters who want to perpetually write hyperbolic negativity, and then get all hissy when a tiny bit of it comes back their way.  It makes forums look even more rabid and hysterical than they already are. 

Depressed Beyond Tables

He's perfectly entitled to vent his frustration if he feels like it. It wasn't a bad rant actually, as they go.

He's a crap comedian though. Let's not confuse the issue.

BritishHobo

It definitely makes his point more valid when you actually look at the kind of spiteful shit they spout about celebrities on DigitalSpy. It's on par with the 'I hope you cut yourself and get an eating disorder' stuff aimed at Rebecca Black, but from adults, rather than bandwagon jumping teenagers, which just makes it more pathetic.

Then again I think he just pulled most of that rant out of his arse anyway, doubt he's really on there much.