Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:39:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I think Rufus Hound is a thief.

Started by 2 Light Ales Please, April 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

It was that piss-awful thing about the year 2000, wasn't it? I Love The 80s, but for stuff that's largely still around today and therefore isn't funny or noteworthy.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 03, 2011, 07:18:11 PM
It was that piss-awful thing about the year 2000, wasn't it? I Love The 80s, but for stuff that's largely still around today and therefore isn't funny or noteworthy.

Yeah, I just realised there's another threaad about it in Comedy Chat. I might have to give it a watch just to see what his stand up joke style is like. Thing is I think he had a few writers helping him so it may be a different style to what he usually (does he regularly do stand up?) does. But so does Jack Whitehall so that may not guarantee quality.

You just know that Rufus regularly Googles 'Rufus Hound cunt'. This thread is the third hit after DSMO.

So hello, Rufus.

I actually don't get the hate.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on April 03, 2011, 07:15:05 AM
Re: stylistic ripping off, I just watched Norm Macdonald's standup special (which is really good, by the way) and in the course of the 45-minute show, he does four stories, really, where he beats a particular topic into the ground in a manner which may be familiar to any Stewart Lee fans.

Now, he's been doing this since at least the early 90s (his earliest appearances on Weekend Update were shorter versions of this) but I think that, besides the fact I'm sure they'd like each others' work, there's no ripping off on either's part. This may be the case with Hound and whoever too (apart from the bit about the other comedian liking Hound, which I think would be unlikely).

Actually, I wouldn't make a Lee comparison at all. The new Norm MacDonald special is indeed excellent (go see it on youtube right now) but it's actually a very traditional stand-up thing, to do 15-25 minutes on just one subject. Check out Larry Miller's skiing bit, or Bill Cosby's album To Russell, My Brother, Whom I Slept With. Or indeed any Bill Cosby album. It's only really over the past 20 years that we've seen a decline of this here in the UK, whereas it's still popular in the US but is seen as a bit mainstream - the opposite of, say, an Eugene Mirman.

Famous Mortimer

Fair do's, I was stretching the comparison but...I was aiming for the way he goes after a bit for longer than yer average standup (I also like a good Larry Miller bit, but I'd see the two of them as quite different). Anyway, it is great.

Moominpapa

Quote from: Tiny Poster on April 04, 2011, 08:21:35 PM
Actually, I wouldn't make a Lee comparison at all. The new Norm MacDonald special is indeed excellent (go see it on youtube right now) but it's actually a very traditional stand-up thing, to do 15-25 minutes on just one subject. Check out Larry Miller's skiing bit, or Bill Cosby's album To Russell, My Brother, Whom I Slept With. Or indeed any Bill Cosby album. It's only really over the past 20 years that we've seen a decline of this here in the UK, whereas it's still popular in the US but is seen as a bit mainstream - the opposite of, say, an Eugene Mirman.

Thanks for bringing this new special to my attention. Love me some Norm Macdonald. His subversion of the Bob Saget Roast is nothing short of masterful:
http://indavideo.hu/video/Roast_of_Bob_Saget_Norm_MacDonald

Sorry for being a bit off topic

Famous Mortimer

I absolutely love that bit on the Saget roast...there's a moment a couple of jokes into it when the other comedians start getting it, and by the end a few of them are crying with laughter at the lamest jokes imaginable.

And fuck you Moominpapa, I mentioned his standup special first :)

Billy Bladder

I've heard Jack Whitehall's gag from last week's Stand Up For the Week before: "Justin Bieber's doing a concert for Japan – haven't they suffered enough?". Can anybody help me with its provenance?   

FYI: Lickle bit of simultaneous Norm MacDonald lovin' over on Page 3 of the 'Unfunny Comedians' Interviews' thread too.

Quote from: Billy Bladder on April 05, 2011, 11:16:38 PM
I've heard Jack Whitehall's gag from last week's Stand Up For the Week before: "Justin Bieber's doing a concert for Japan – haven't they suffered enough?". Can anybody help me with its provenance?
Yes, it came from a shit hack's brain.

Billy Bladder

Quote from: Up T Bloody Tree on April 05, 2011, 11:23:18 PM
Yes, it came from a shit hack's brain.

Ok, ok...my point is that it didn't come from THAT shit hack's brain. Besides '...haven't they suffered enough' was probably a great line in the Nineties. 

It's an old standard with many variations. e.g.

"The first prize is a copy of Daniel Day's new album. The second prize is TWO copies of the album."

Billy Bladder

Quote from: Up T Bloody Tree on April 05, 2011, 11:43:57 PM
It's an old standard with many variations. e.g.

"The first prize is a copy of Daniel Day's new album. The second prize is TWO copies of the album."

I know I'm labouring the point, and I appreciate your response, but my issue is not that he is using an old joke form (which he is, but is not in itself a problem) but that he is also nicking a punchline (which is a big problem). I may have just heard him do the joke in another variation before though, but I have a feeling it was an American comic what said it. Maybe this should go in the Stand Up For the Week thread anyway.

Billy Bladder

That's it, mystery solved, he's not a joke thief in this instance: he's a meme thief!

Yeah, but he's got really stylish hair and he's soooo dreamy. That makes him a comedy god.

Jobey