Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:16:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Yakuza 4

Started by Penfold, April 03, 2011, 02:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penfold

I love it.

I spent 36 hours doing the first chapter.

I love it.

I'm worried that the Saejima chapter will be annoying and rubbish so I probably should have just powered through it otherwise I have a tendency to get to a certain point in games then stop and accept it and move on.

But dammit I did it with Bulletstorm[nb]also loved it, my first FPS since I got halfway through Battlefield: Bad Company 2 which admittedly isn't that old[nb]i'm not an FPS fan though so my last one I enjoyed before that was Perfect Dark[/nb][/nb] and i'll do it with this.

For some reason I never played much, if any of Yakuza 3 before trading it so i'll probably go back to it, although with the Reminisce feature I don't really need to. I bought the first Yakuza but that was too late and I already had my PS3 and 360 to distract me and I hadn't watched a Takeshi Kitano film in months.

So, any other fans or unfans of the series who want to discuss how great it may or may not be or why I should finish off the first one or go back to the third one or why the apparent prospect of the police looking for Saejima doesn't make the prospect of him roaming the streets of Kamurocho that much more annoying and that's it's all in my head and I should just fucking play it instead of worrying about it because for fucks sake[nb]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sake[/nb] what would your father say?.

EDIT: because spelling the title correctly matters.

Consignia

I'm playing it at the moment, and generally loving it. I agree, Saejima's section is pretty boring, so I powered my way through it with out doing any substories. It doesn't help he isn't a particularly endearing character and his fighting style sucks. However, I'd really hang in there. Tanimura, the corrupt cop, is an order of magnititude better. The story is more interesting, the character is strangely capturing, the street segements are better utilised than ever, and his substories are compelling. While I prefer Akiyama as a character, Tanimura's arc is my favourite so far.

Overall, I'm not sure how I feel about the game in general with regards to the series. It has a fresher take than Yakuza 3, and the more down to earth plot is welcome. However, I don't like the fact the game is competely packed into (an albeit expanded) Kamurocho. Yakuza 2 was the best in this regards being split between Kamurcho and 2 bits of Oosaka. Okinawa wasn't as interesting, but at least there was varierty.

Little Hoover

Couldn't get into Yakuza 3, really persisted for what seemed a long time, but it was taking too long to open up, and I was sick of wandering the streets getting into fights every ten seconds, really took me out of the world.

Consignia

Quote from: Little Hoover on April 03, 2011, 12:14:55 PM
Couldn't get into Yakuza 3, really persisted for what seemed a long time, but it was taking too long to open up, and I was sick of wandering the streets getting into fights every ten seconds, really took me out of the world.

Which is exactly why Tanimura's arc is so good. Since he's a cop, he doesn't get picked on as much. He still does a fair bit of fighting, though. Of course, at least it's better than the PS2 games which took an absolute age to load up the fights, and there was also loads of loading between just walking around the streets.

Penfold

Quote from: Consignia on April 03, 2011, 09:56:44 AM
I'm playing it at the moment, and generally loving it. I agree, Saejima's section is pretty boring, so I powered my way through it with out doing any substories. It doesn't help he isn't a particularly endearing character and his fighting style sucks. However, I'd really hang in there. Tanimura, the corrupt cop, is an order of magnititude better. The story is more interesting, the character is strangely capturing, the street segements are better utilised than ever, and his substories are compelling. While I prefer Akiyama as a character, Tanimura's arc is my favourite so far.

Overall, I'm not sure how I feel about the game in general with regards to the series. It has a fresher take than Yakuza 3, and the more down to earth plot is welcome. However, I don't like the fact the game is competely packed into (an albeit expanded) Kamurocho. Yakuza 2 was the best in this regards being split between Kamurcho and 2 bits of Oosaka. Okinawa wasn't as interesting, but at least there was varierty.

I persevered and made it through Saejima, as well as the substories. The way he learns revelations is fun but most of his 'Essence of...' moves are too tricky to do, or I would think that if I had any idea how to make someone bounce off a wall or floor to do them. The revelations are some of my favourite parts in the game especially the first one.

Is it worth going back to Yakuza 3 then?  It'd be nice to spend some time with Kazuma and you're right about the improved loading times making things much better.

I love and hate how the game makes the story seem incredibly important but i'm too busy playing Pachinko/Golf/Fishing to get 100 Million Yen from some car park. Those Trophies aren't going to earn themselves.

Consignia

Quote from: Penfold on April 06, 2011, 01:51:04 AM
Is it worth going back to Yakuza 3 then?  It'd be nice to spend some time with Kazuma and you're right about the improved loading times making things much better.

Not sure. It's a good game for sure, and having more than one locale is a massive plus, but 4 is so full of gameplay improvements it may feel difficult to get into. 3 tends to drag in places that 4 doesn't.