Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:16:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TV Guilty pleasures.

Started by rjd2, April 07, 2011, 06:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjd2

I have many but the one that shames me the most is Home And Away. Its one of those shows that always is in the background, when I came home from college it was always about to start and its the same now, its the shits, but I can't ween myself of it.

I probably watched more Murder She Wrote and Sweet 16 than was healthy as well.

Ye all have your weak moments when watching the box, what are they?

Serge

'Road Wars'. I can't explain it. But if I get in late at night and it's on, I invariably sit and watch it. The greatest moment so far is when they edited in some footage of Japanese traffic cops and Lee Boardman referred to one perp as a 'Teriyaki Toe-rag'.

MissInformed

Glee. I love it so much, I suspect that I am secretly a gay man.

Johnny Townmouse

Masterchef

Absolute nonsense, with the most ridiculously overblown style to support what is essentially a cook-off. It is edited in this ridiculous way that is designed to ramp up the drama, and contains some of the hammiest acting schtick outside of panto. A great deal of the food is inedible (particularly for a veggie like me), but I am always utterly gripped EVERY time.

I fucking love this show.

mikeyg27

Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory, on Extreme.

I watch it for two reasons. Firstly, Dyrdek himself is an irrepressible douchebag, yet somehow has enough charisma to remain likable, and I do find his weekly ker-ay-zee schemes entertaining enough. Secondly, the Fantasy Factory itself is a sweet home that I wish was my abode (and I don't even skate).

doppelkorn

Quote from: Serge on April 07, 2011, 07:31:25 PM
'Road Wars'. I can't explain it. But if I get in late at night and it's on, I invariably sit and watch it. The greatest moment so far is when they edited in some footage of Japanese traffic cops and Lee Boardman referred to one perp as a 'Teriyaki Toe-rag'.

With you there. Anything featuring footage of police getting baddies. I particularly like Charlie and Rufie of Thames Valley Police, who regularly feature.

Gulftastic

'Fashion Police' on E! I love Joan Rivers. The show even manages to make Kelly Osborne seem OK.

ozziechef

Holly's World / Kendra / girls of the Playboy Mansion

It's not just the occasional glimpse of breast, I get caught up in thiese shows. My wife loves to watch, i can't help but enjoy.

Subtle Mocking

Coming of Age[nb]I eagerly anticipate your disapproval[/nb]

Gulftastic

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on April 07, 2011, 09:58:38 PM
Coming of Age[nb]I eagerly anticipate your disapproval[/nb]

Guiltiest choice so far. That'll be hard to beat, methinks.

MuteBanana

Don't Tell The Bride.

I think I like watching shows that make me shout at the telly and this does it perfectly. Most of the men on it are selfish, unfeeling wankers. I pretty much always feel sorry for the bride and then scream at the telly when she forgives him for fucking up her wedding day and marries him anyway!

Subtle Mocking

The brides are just as bad on that show. If they're so fucking demanding why did they bother going on the show?

Subtle Mocking

Oh, another one, Take Me Out.

Does anyone watch a bad show purely to rip into it? Take Me Out is one of those shows for me.

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 07, 2011, 09:48:54 PM
'Fashion Police' on E! I love Joan Rivers. The show even manages to make Kelly Osborne seem OK.

Yep, I'm another fan of Fashion Police.

Mine is Mantracker on Extreme Sports. Basically it's one man on a horse who chases after two arrogant contestants through the wilderness.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantracker

MuteBanana

Yes Take Me Out, just so I can decide which ones are gay. Which is always all of them.

Yeah. I guess the women on Don't Tell The Bride should be more forgiving. But I think it's the way the men often take the 'fuck it, she'll have to lump it' road rather than doing something they think they'll like but ruin it. Like the guy who took his mates shooting and paintballing and gave his bride to be a night down the bingo.

Or that one who was obsessed with Las Vegas and Elvis so booked the wedding there, but couldn't afford to bring her brother over or her bridesmaids. I think then the bride has got reason to be a bit upset.

Subtle Mocking

Oh that Vegas episode was superb. The only downside was that she actually stuck with the bastard.

Absorb the anus burn

biggytitbo

Any of those documentaries about morbidly obese people and I'm happy.

holyzombiejesus

I used to be obsessed with Lovejoy. I had a painting of him that a friend's mum did for me, as well as the Ian McShane album (on cassette and vinyl) and loads of Jonathan Gash's Lovejoy novels. I hated Eric Catchpole so much; just thinking about him now makes my blood boil. The series ended on such a sad note too, with Lovejoy being whisked away in a helicopter by hoodlums whilst the lovely Charlotte was waiting for him at the altar. *sighs*

Nowadays, I have to get my guilty pleasure from Country File. I imagine that Coach Trip doesn't count, does it?

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on April 07, 2011, 07:46:11 PM
Masterchef

Absolute nonsense, with the most ridiculously overblown style to support what is essentially a cook-off. It is edited in this ridiculous way that is designed to ramp up the drama, and contains some of the hammiest acting schtick outside of panto. A great deal of the food is inedible (particularly for a veggie like me), but I am always utterly gripped EVERY time.

I fucking love this show.

Haha! I love this show too, particularly the assortment of grimaces from the two presenters as they stroll around the kitchens during cooking. I love it when the contestants are not only cooking under pressure but also being subjected to questions like "You weren't very good last week. Do you think you'd actually kill yourself if you went home this week?" I also love watching that Greg bloke finally being able to get his flabby chops round the puddings.

I also love it when a contestant cries.

Johnny Townmouse

When they have the really dramatic exits, and you have a newly rejected cook, who walks around the locker room in tears, I like to mutter quite quietly "you useless fucking prick. Fuck off!" because it makes me grimace at myself.

Neville Chamberlain

I'm going to try that next time :-)

I also like imagining to myself that the guest star chef who comes on is really thinking to himself: "Fuck me, there's no way I'm letting any of these useless cunts into my kitchen!"

I also watch Coronation Street.

Muel 2

Deal Or No Deal.  Although I don't feel guilty and I don't get any pleasure out of it.

Penfold

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Muel 2 on April 07, 2011, 11:24:31 PM
Deal Or No Deal.  Although I don't feel guilty and I don't get any pleasure out of it.

Yes, me too. That programme really is just a parade of emotionally juvenile wankers and cunts. I love it!!!

I love it when someone's sage advice is "It's your game. You've got to do what you feel is right!" Yes, *thanks* for that.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 07, 2011, 10:39:17 PM
I used to be obsessed with Lovejoy.

And I instantly thought "What the hell's wrong with liking Lovejoy?" And then I read on.. and am now frightened.

When I used to have a proper telly with programmes on and everything and it all came in via a twist of wire on the top of my set... the closest I can get to a Guilty TV Pleasure would be Schools for Kids on a sickie day. No matter how remedial the programme, it was A) extended bed and a sure sign of freedom from drudgery for the day, and B) a weird chance to see what some of my favourite comedy performers do during the day – there'd usually be some odd primary-level history programme with Tony Robinson or Sean Hughes talking about poetry.

Muel 2

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on April 07, 2011, 11:38:47 PM
Yes, me too. That programme really is just a parade of emotionally juvenile wankers and cunts. I love it!!!

I love it when someone's sage advice is "It's your game. You've got to do what you feel is right!" Yes, *thanks* for that.

When they say "whatever you do, we're right behind you" I feel something. 

Tokyo Sexwhale

Do they still do Schools programmes?  I thought daytime telly had done away with it?

I'd love to just spend a morning off work watching them - especially if they still had the ones filmed in the seventies and eighties.

Probably one of the reasons I loved the first series of "Look Around You", as much nostalgia as the funny stuff.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on April 07, 2011, 11:59:33 PM
Do they still do Schools programmes?  I thought daytime telly had done away with it?

I'd love to just spend a morning off work watching them - especially if they still had the ones filmed in the seventies and eighties.

Probably one of the reasons I loved the first series of "Look Around You", as much nostalgia as the funny stuff.

Oh me too but they seem to have mysteriously disappeared, even the ones shown in the early hours of the morning...

Jemble Fred

Well as I say, it's a long time since I had a working telly... Still, that is a travesty. But I thought educational programming was part of the BBC's remit? Have they been shunted somewhere else?