Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:54:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TV Guilty pleasures.

Started by rjd2, April 07, 2011, 06:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Cuellar on April 24, 2018, 02:22:53 PM
I think that on average they're a pretty good bunch, but there aren't really any standouts. Struggling to see who would win, but then they never really seem obvious do they? Aside from maybe...Violet Chachki? Bianca Del Rio?
Oh ever since S6 the winner has been obvious from the start, that's why I'm enjoying S10 so much (although the edit is leaning towards Cracker, I think Blair could be a dark horse). I think it's the best season in years - way better than S9 anyway, where every week was a "very special episode" with Sasha giving a piece to camera because she's an intellectual dontcha know.

Cuellar

Yeah, I'm thinking Cracker could do it. Hope not though, as she's on my partner's team. Blair is on mine so hopefully she can pull ahead. Her looks are all a bit safe, mind. I'm holding out a slim hope for Kameron Michaels, although I don't fancy her chances for Snatch Game if she makes it that far.

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on April 24, 2018, 11:09:36 PM
Oh ever since S6 the winner has been obvious from the start, that's why I'm enjoying S10 so much (although the edit is leaning towards Cracker, I think Blair could be a dark horse). I think it's the best season in years - way better than S9 anyway, where every week was a "very special episode" with Sasha giving a piece to camera because she's an intellectual dontcha know.

Woops.

gilbertharding

Don't know if this qualifies (because it's only a three or four part series on BBC2, not an endless reality thing on the high numbers), but no-one else seems to like it (Square Eyes in Private Eye, in particular): Secret Agent Selection.

A bunch of people undertake authentic training and testing as used by the Special Operations Executive. You could be forgiven for imagining it's all a bit worthless, gung-ho, Are Brave Boys etc - and the two people they sent home in the first week might have confirmed that (a drag artiste who had to sack off a lot of the tests because he had a migraine, and a person who even if she had been competent would have been the last person anyone would send to pass un-noticed in Nazi occupied Europe), the next few weeks saw them sending home a couple of Billy Big Bollock types (one of whom obviously still doesn't understand why, in spite of his statement to the contrary).

Private Eye's objection is mainly the idea that the participants aren't in any real danger. Not from being parachuted into enemy territory to work undercover, obviously - but they seem genuinely to want the participants to be denied 'inauthentic' safety harnesses when doing the rock-climbing etc. One of the firearms exercises they did with paint-ball 'bullets', rather than actual live ammunition like they would have in the 40s. Do Private Eye really want people to die?

The idea of the programme is firstly to show exactly what, why and how these people operated in the actual WW2, to show how they were trained, and to demonstrate that these people were genuinely selected from all walks of life, all ages and sexes, and made use of any skills and talents on offer. I think it succeeds.

Quote from: newbridge on April 17, 2018, 04:34:29 AM
Is American Pickers broadcast in the UK? Mike and Frank are the best.

This is some daft fun if you are a fan.

https://youtu.be/cKPbCC4U6vY

Cuellar

Famous Mortimer

Racing up to season 8 of "Storage Wars", and there's an episode where my favourite, Dave Hester, and the auctioneer Dan have a real fight. I imagine the producers were delighted, although I'd struggle to work alongside someone who I'd had a fight with. Perhaps they'll start switching out auctioneers a bit so Dave can just go to the "other" ones (they already switch out the stars quite a bit, episode to episode).

Ray Travez

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 17, 2018, 12:07:20 PM
Bear Grylls The Bear Grylls Island With Bear Grylls

Me and my wife enjoy Bear's little pep-talks; variations on a theme of state-the-bleedin-obvious. Some of my favourites include-

• If a storm is coming, build a shelter
  • In a survival situation, without water, you won't last long
  • When you're hungry, you need to look for food
  • Tensions within the group will sap group morale
  • Fishing can be a great way of catching fish
etc

Isnt Anything

8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown

Fell into one by accident a few weeks ago then set Series Link and have now been chomping through them at a rate of about five a week ever since, thanks to More 4 etc.

What can I say ? I got bored of regular Countdown by about 1984 and never much cared for 8 Out of 10 Cats probably watching less than a dozen in total over the years, but the combination really fucking works.

It helps that both Carr and Lock seem a bit more likeable than they did 10 years ago - or perhaps i have a higher tolerance for snark than i used to - and Richardson is always great. Plus they keep inviting Victoria Coren-Mitchell in lately which always helps. Susie and Rachel are great too.

So far I think ive only seen one arguably two truly duff episodes out of about 20-25 odd .... and a good deal more that were heaps of fun and even heartwarming sometimes.

Usually the duff and not-quite-so-good ones are due to the choice of dictionary corner guest(s), naming no names.

So yeah, thats my guilty TV pleasure.

lebowskibukowski

There are two that stand out

EX ON THE BEACH - Shouty,annoying emotionally retarded simpletons trying to bang without getting pied, apparently. Can't get enough of the shit-stirring, though. I'm far too aged to be the target audience but I bloody loves it.

THE BLACKLIST - Absolute tosh of the highest order, storylines getting more and more ludicrous, but James Spader...

Ham Bap

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 12, 2018, 05:38:01 PM
I had forgotten about Don't Tell The Bride on All4 until last night. Watched the Oktoberfest one from the latest series. Fucking hell... That was even more bleak than the infamous Vegas one.

I love watching the ones were it all goes tits up, the Vegas one being exactly that. It usually starts to go wrong when they decide to have the wedding in another country and only 3 people out of 200 can go.

I sometimes Sky+ them or start to watch on TV but if i get the feeling everything is going to go swimmingly i turn it off.
I remember watching one, it was set in Dublin, and as soon as his bride to be left for the 3 weeks he went straight to the pub and bookies. I settled in for an hour of watchting everything going tits up.

Just googled the Vegas one, must bookmark it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc60N0xoIkM

I will search out the Oktoberfest one too. It better be horrible!

Edit* Found it http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dont-tell-the-bride/on-demand/66407-018

I need a full list of the worst ones.

Blue Jam

The Oktoberfest one is properly bleak- I'd go as far as to say it's the all-time bleakest. Even bleaker than the Vegas one. SPOILER: It's the only one to date where the couple decided not to make their vows official at a proper ceremony afterwards. It was clear that the couple had some deep-seated issues that probably weren't helped by them appearing on a reality show which encourages grooms to treat their weddings as a bit of a joke, but the groom clearly didn't give a fuck about his bride, and while she did seem a bit spoiled and bratty, she had very good reason to be angry with him. The best man was a nasty piece of work as well, a proper shit-stirrer. No more spoilers, just watch it- but make sure you have something a bit less horrible to put on afterwards...

Gulftastic

Forged In Fire, my guilty pleasure about yanks making lethal blades, has a spin off!

Whilst the parent show is about the maniacs who make the blades, the spin off Knife Or Death is about the maniacs who wield them.

In a series of contests, they have to slice, stab, hack and chop their way to victory, all under the watching eyes of Bill Goldberg (for some reason).

I've only seen the first episode so far, but it had one of my favourite things, a chubby white guy who claims he is a Samurai, with the bowing and everything, and then proves to be dogshit.

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 17, 2018, 04:54:31 PM
Forged In Fire, my guilty pleasure about yanks making lethal blades, has a spin off!

YES! Haven't seen the spinoff, but I was recently on holiday to my boyfriends home country and, being unable to speak the language, spent two weeks unable to talk to anybody - this show was my only comfort (History Channel being one of the only channels in English). Everybody looks and acts exactly how you'd expect someone who makes blades as a hobby to be. My favourite part is the guy that carries out the first test - the shit eating grin every time he says his catchphrase "this blade will cut". He's so desperate for that to catch on, I bet his house is filled with "this blade will cut" mugs and t-shirts (sizes L and up of course).

Ferris

Cheers for the Forged in Fire rec, 3 episodes in already. Absolutely mental. I'm loving the tests that are just hitting big sides of beef with axes or whatever.

Ferris

Unable to find full episodes of Knife or Death, but the clips on youtube are phenomenal. Will be keeping an eye out for this in future.

newbridge

He's not quite as good as the infamous beans-in-a-pepper guy, but the second contestant on the June 21 Come Dine with Me is quite enjoyable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxVshtIg3Po

Blue Jam

New series of Queer Eye on Netflix! YAAAAAAAAYYYYY!

Good to see this whopping big dose of camp positivity is back. Feeling very warm and fuzzy watching this right now.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 26, 2018, 11:05:47 PM
New series of Queer Eye on Netflix! YAAAAAAAAYYYYY!

Good to see this whopping big dose of camp positivity is back. Feeling very warm and fuzzy watching this right now.

Mrs Ferris bloody loves it, will let her know. Thanks!

Clownbaby

Every episode of Life Below Zero is pretty much the same but I just enjoy it for the atmosphere. I'm also really fuckin good at Catchphrase

JesusAndYourBush

For some reason I've been enjoying watching The 100k Drop on Ch.4.   Formerly Million Pound Drop.  Presumably they rebranded it to avoid having to give so much money away, but they needn't have bothered - every episode is like Who Wants To Be A Millionaire in reverse.

JesusAndYourBush

Three sets of wallies won no money today (well, two, I'll give the third lot the benefit of the doubt because the warm weather caused me to fall asleep and miss half of their questions.)

One couple didn't know the Ramones were American.  In another question someone said "HMV, I think I heard of that once."  Grave.

paruses

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 10, 2018, 07:51:57 PM
Three sets of wallies won no money today (well, two, I'll give the third lot the benefit of the doubt because the warm weather caused me to fall asleep and miss half of their questions.)

One couple didn't know the Ramones were American.  In another question someone said "HMV, I think I heard of that once."  Grave.

I caught this the other day and found it too stressful to watch: Davina McCall (although I have never liked her and found her insincere at best) seems to have dropped her whole "best mate, you're so funny" pretense completely which doesn't even give me the excuse of a hate-watch, and the contestants seem overly exposed to having to do lengthy bantz between and during questions, and the fact that they're losing vast sums in one go rather than not winning vast sums incrementally plays havoc with my mental state.

Also, what's the reason they have to leave one option empty? How does that take an advantage away from them (which it must or there's no point in specifying it).

The only thing it has going for it is that there is no way for the host to dramatically, yet cuntishly, demand an answer be "locked in". Fucking hate that.

paruses

On the plus side I've bought a load of CSI (original) DVDs from CEX for about 50c each - I love CSI. Pretty much the same every episode but there's the odd narrative gem and it's got the usual layered on hypocrisy of the investigative team (slightly less so with Grissom), and as with all US things the love putting people in handcuffs before they are lead off to be gassed or electrocuted.

rjd2

Power.

Very silly show made by 50 Cent, but a guilty pleasure personified.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: paruses on July 16, 2018, 04:27:27 PM
...and the contestants seem overly exposed to having to do lengthy bantz between and during questions...

Also, what's the reason they have to leave one option empty? How does that take an advantage away from them (which it must or there's no point in specifying it).

I assume the lengthy bantz are there to make it easy to edit two or three pairs of contestants to fit into the hour timeslot without having to ask someone to come back for the next show (although I've see that happen once).

Yeah it's daft having to keep an option empty - without that rule they'd be spreading their money even thinner and losing even quicker.  I suppose theoretically you could have someone who puts all the money on the right answer for most questions (rather than spunking  80% of it away on the first two questions like most people) but then gets one they don't know and splits it evenly - that way they might have a chance of a decent win rather than a chance of leaving the correct answer with no money on it.

Clownbaby

I go through a phase once a year where I start watching Come Dine With Me again. I hate how the show clearly sets out to pick the most annoying and immature people, and purposely engineers the lineup so that everyone has a dramatically contrasting personality trait or key belief to create as much awkwardness and bickering as possible. I rip apart everyone who's on it and get really annoyed at how rude they all are but I keep coming back for more.

What pisses me off THE MOST though, is how non of them can read the fuckin menu. There was a woman once who couldn't work out how to say "mozzarella" and read it as "mazzarolla? What's that? Moze, Matza...??"

"Cream free Che?  Creme frai Cher?"

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 17, 2018, 12:32:31 PM
I go through a phase once a year where I start watching Come Dine With Me again. I hate how the show clearly sets out to pick the most annoying and immature people, and purposely engineers the lineup so that everyone has a dramatically contrasting personality trait or key belief to create as much awkwardness and bickering as possible. I rip apart everyone who's on it and get really annoyed at how rude they all are but I keep coming back for more.

What pisses me off THE MOST though, is how non of them can read the fuckin menu. There was a woman once who couldn't work out how to say "mozzarella" and read it as "mazzarolla? What's that? Moze, Matza...??"

"Cream free Che?  Creme frai Cher?"

I haven't watched it in ages but when I've watched it there's been always someone so fussy that I automatically hate them.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on July 17, 2018, 12:45:02 PM

I haven't watched it in ages but when I've watched it there's been always someone so fussy that I automatically hate them.

"I can't eat anything with onions or salt in it" pulls sour face and picks at plate of food

"Oooh, look, we've just been up in your bedroom and found a film crew waiting to film us rifling through your drawers and finding this gimp suit."

"Oh, how embarrassing! And not at all contrived!"

GRAVE.