Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:10:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TV Guilty pleasures.

Started by rjd2, April 07, 2011, 06:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on July 17, 2018, 12:29:54 PM
I assume the lengthy bantz are there to make it easy to edit two or three pairs of contestants to fit into the hour timeslot without having to ask someone to come back for the next show (although I've see that happen once).

True - as I haven't seen much of the programme it may only be the one episode but the whole thing seemed too long for its format. Whereas Millionaire is quite nicely suited to dramatic pauses and long build ups this suffers rather than benefits from them. They have a minute and I think the idea is you hear them reasoning their answers as they shift the money around but all you hear is them shouting "is it X? What about X?" as they fumble with bundles of cash. Then have twenty seconds left and so just stand there wailing "shall I put more on Y?". Thank fuck they can shout "Stop the clock" in a needlessly dramatic fashion when they know the answer - although not using up the time doesn't give them any advantage or penalty as far as I could tell.

In short - I do not like this programme (but I have only seen one ep).

jobotic

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 17, 2018, 01:05:30 PM
"Oooh, look, we've just been up in your bedroom and found a film crew waiting to film us rifling through your drawers and finding this gimp suit."

"Oh, how embarrassing! And not at all contrived!"

GRAVE.

We found these three shit caked dildos under your pillow. What do you say about that?

For fuck's sake, you saw Dave Lamb put them there with your own eyes.

paruses

^^ and the ones where the contestant has an interest in entertainment or amdram and their stuff is out on mannequins in the spare room waiting to be discovered rather than under the bed vacuum packed in storage boxes where it has been for the last four years.

I would like them to open the wardrobe and find a bound and gagged local missing woman but then whoop and shriek at a feather boa and pair of fluffy handcuffs before obliviously shutting the door.

Blue Jam

This week's Come Dine With Me is shaping up to be a good 'un. The contestants include a vegan woman who seems utterly hateful so far and she hasn't even banged on about her veganism that much. She's a presenter on a shopping channel and can't seem to switch off Salesperson Mode, she does nude modelling for life drawing classes and has naked portraits scattered about the flat for guests to admire, she fancies herself rotten and is convinced that the male contestants also fancy her and that the female ones are all just jelus of her pretteh, even though she's pissed off about not being the youngest ("but I am the best-dressed"). Watching her turn to host now and she's just sneered at someone for bringing flowers "that probably came from a petrol station". She's also one of those "I'm not like other women" types who is smug about not liking jeggings and the Kardashians, you know, like other women.

One of the other contestants is also a woman who doesn't like women and vows to put any other "females" in their place.

They're horrible... I'm loving it...

Blue Jam

Oh my god... This contestant (Martha) is talking about her ten-day juice cleanse retreat and her colonic irrigations (over the starter) and calling one guest "common", then the preview clips show her refusing to take part in any games and telling one host that the vegan dish they made especially for her is horrible...

She can't be for real- I think she must be signed up to a reality TV agency with dreams of becoming the next Katie Hopkins...

Blue Jam

Who Do You Think You Are with Boy George is surprisingly great.

JesusAndYourBush

Annoyed that there's no Pointless (kindof a guilty pleasure I guess) at the moment I decided to watch Eggheads and was reminded why I dislike it so much - all the padding.  When they answer a question and they obviously know the answer they must have been told by the producers to pad it with the most insufferable bullshit.

For example a question that came up the other day...
(my comments shouted at the screen in bold)

"Who would dance a hornpipe?"
Sailor
(The answers appear on screen. (a) Sailor (b) Doctor (c) Dentist)
Sailor!
Twat: "Well, ummm, I don't think it's Dentist..."
SAILOR!
"...I wouldn't imagine a dentist would dance a hornpipe."
SAILOR YOU TWAT!
"...and Doctor, I'm not sure..."
IT'S SAILOR YOU CUNT!
"... I'm not sure a doctor would dance a hornpipe."
SAILOR! FUCKING HELL!
"So I think the answer is probably Sailor..."
FUCKS SAKE!
"...yes, it's sailor, that's my answer, sailor."
YES!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 26, 2018, 11:08:11 PM
Who Do You Think You Are with Boy George is surprisingly great.

George is always good value.
Not really a fan of his music, but he's a genuine 'star'.

PowerButchi

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on August 18, 2018, 12:43:58 PM
Annoyed that there's no Pointless (kindof a guilty pleasure I guess) at the moment I decided to watch Eggheads and was reminded why I dislike it so much - all the padding.  When they answer a question and they obviously know the answer they must have been told by the producers to pad it with the most insufferable bullshit.

For example a question that came up the other day...
(my comments shouted at the screen in bold)

"Who would dance a hornpipe?"
Sailor
(The answers appear on screen. (a) Sailor (b) Doctor (c) Dentist)
Sailor!
Twat: "Well, ummm, I don't think it's Dentist..."
SAILOR!
"...I wouldn't imagine a dentist would dance a hornpipe."
SAILOR YOU TWAT!
"...and Doctor, I'm not sure..."
IT'S SAILOR YOU CUNT!
"... I'm not sure a doctor would dance a hornpipe."
SAILOR! FUCKING HELL!
"So I think the answer is probably Sailor..."
FUCKS SAKE!
"...yes, it's sailor, that's my answer, sailor."
YES!

A friend of mine auditioned with his quiz team, and the producer or whoever said "What we really like on eggheads, is how you come to your answer. We really like people explaining how they eliminate what they think is incorrect".

He fucking hated it ike you did though so just gave the one word answer every time. Didn't get picked, his mates saw their arses with him.

Clownbaby

I like Blind Date with Paul O'Grady presenting. He was the natural choice I think as the successor. I never,  ever manage to guess who the person on the left side is going to pick.

Gulftastic

Emmerdale do the best publicity stills. Here's one of their latest.

Rolf Lundgren

Celebrity Apprentice USA returned a few weeks ago in the coveted Tuesday 00:15 timeslot. I implore anyone with a passing interest in reality shows involving celebrities to watch it.

You've got Trump being an arsehole rather than the scary arsehole he is today. You've got Kenya, a Real Housewife from somewhere who's an out-and-out narcissist. And my favourite Ian (pronounced 'Iron') Ziering. He's playing for a charity that helps kids who have a rare condition which causes painful blistering of the skin because 'skincare has always been part of my wheelhouse'. His speech this week about how his charity work might get him a seat closer to God is the best comedy moment of the year. You can never trust a man who can't pronounce his own name.

The whole thing is a capitalist's wet dream chucked in with the fragile ego's of celebrities who've seen better days. There's a few nice people on there but they're outweighed by the mass of puffed up pomposity that radiates off Trump and his kin and shines on the sycophants and idiots of the group. I wish they put it on at primetime.

EOLAN

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on August 29, 2018, 11:49:45 PM
Celebrity Apprentice USA returned a few weeks ago in the coveted Tuesday 00:15 timeslot. I implore anyone with a passing interest in reality shows involving celebrities to watch it.

You've got Trump being an arsehole rather than the scary arsehole he is today. You've got Kenya, a Real Housewife from somewhere who's an out-and-out narcissist. And my favourite Ian (pronounced 'Iron') Ziering. He's playing for a charity that helps kids who have a rare condition which causes painful blistering of the skin because 'skincare has always been part of my wheelhouse'. His speech this week about how his charity work might get him a seat closer to God is the best comedy moment of the year. You can never trust a man who can't pronounce his own name.

The whole thing is a capitalist's wet dream chucked in with the fragile ego's of celebrities who've seen better days. There's a few nice people on there but they're outweighed by the mass of puffed up pomposity that radiates off Trump and his kin and shines on the sycophants and idiots of the group. I wish they put it on at primetime.

Got upset when Gilbert Gottfried got kicked out early. Didn't hold back in his presentation to the Family friendly brand of - whatever the hell it was. Was actually very good and competent in other two tasks. Nice guys and girls obviously lose out, grew a bit fond of Shawn Johnson but didn't have the nasty side to prevail. Geraldo is all about "me, me, me" so is probably going to win (seven years ago), although I still have watch latest two episodes so maybe he got a shock dismissal.

Ian calling himself Ion, reminds me of Catfish where every time Nev says that his name is Niamh I am compelled to shout at the TV that no it is Nev (I may have nicked this habit off of Richard Herring admittedly).

Also; on that Choco Nuts ad or whatever it was. The winning team of Ion and co. was far superior; but it was so obvious that they were carrying empty cups in many of the scenes when the aim of the ad was to promote the drink. I would have probably made them lose the task for that alone.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: EOLAN on August 30, 2018, 09:28:36 AM
Got upset when Gilbert Gottfried got kicked out early. Didn't hold back in his presentation to the Family friendly brand of - whatever the hell it was. Was actually very good and competent in other two tasks. Nice guys and girls obviously lose out, grew a bit fond of Shawn Johnson but didn't have the nasty side to prevail. Geraldo is all about "me, me, me" so is probably going to win (seven years ago), although I still have watch latest two episodes so maybe he got a shock dismissal.

Ian calling himself Ion, reminds me of Catfish where every time Nev says that his name is Niamh I am compelled to shout at the TV that no it is Nev (I may have nicked this habit off of Richard Herring admittedly).

Also; on that Choco Nuts ad or whatever it was. The winning team of Ion and co. was far superior; but it was so obvious that they were carrying empty cups in many of the scenes when the aim of the ad was to promote the drink. I would have probably made them lose the task for that alone.

Yeah I was sad to see Gilbert go too. He would have been good the further it went on at downplaying the seriousness of it. The Jonas brother seemed like an alright bloke too having to put up with Geraldo acting the nob. Leeza and Vivica are also on my nice people list. 

I suspect Ian and Nev only get away with it living in California. If you're wondering what Ian/Iron is up to now, in between Sharknado films he's turned his hand to shirt design. They have TRI-COLLAR technology (no, me neither) that adjusts to your schedule. Sadly it fell 13 grand short of the 15 grand target on Kickstarter.

EOLAN

Talking about Ian/Iron/Ion; he was the celebrity it took me a while to recognise. Due to an earlier TV Guilty Pleasure of 90210. Hasn't aged badly at all. I think he may have a chance to go far so if he needs a big fundraiser/promotion waiting to see if Tori Spelling, Jennie Garth, Shannon Doherty or I guess one of the guys (Luke Perry was one right???) turn up. Although I think Ms. Spelling is probably the only one capable of doing any decent fundraising. Like that one of Vivica's highest credits is as one of the "Blacks" on  Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Geraldo is right up Trump's alley in this game and veers between being effective and a Cnut.

Yes I will just endlessly respond to anyone else posting on Celebrity Apprentice within minutes.

Rolf Lundgren

He can certainly talk the talk that Trump likes. Both he and Geraldo have taken to calling Trump 'boss' as well ensuring they both have their noses firmly up Donald's bottom.

There haven't been too many famous friends turning up yet, even in the first episode but I like how they refer to them as 'resources' when they really mean rich mates. Thought it was funny the girl off the Cosby show got fired for not calling up Bill Cosby and she had to admit she hadn't spoken to him for about 10 years.

EOLAN

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on August 31, 2018, 06:32:59 PM
Thought it was funny the girl off the Cosby show got fired for not calling up Bill Cosby and she had to admit she hadn't spoken to him for about 10 years.

Yep. It's probably better viewing with several years delays. Obviously with what Trump has turned into and such references to Cosby taking on extra layers of meaning.

Bhazor

Is there any good archives for Tommorow's World? I'd eat that shit all day. Particularly the trippy 60s shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnMjoitdRRM

Quote from: Tokyo Sexwhale on April 07, 2011, 11:59:33 PM
Do they still do Schools programmes?  I thought daytime telly had done away with it?

There is some genuinely good day time telly on BBC4. Theres one I forget the name of but it's like a magazine show but about archeaology rather than pelvic floors.

Blue Jam

New Jack

Banged back half the new Sabrina (the teenage witch) series on Netflix last night. Not sure if it's exactly for grown adult single males in their mid 30s, seems a bit drama-heavy but it's fuckin mint and I'm lapping it up, really feeling for little Sabrina

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Bhazor on September 01, 2018, 01:41:54 PM
There is some genuinely good day time telly on BBC4. Theres one I forget the name of but it's like a magazine show but about archeaology rather than pelvic floors.

Really? I didn't think it came on air until 7pm...

Clownbaby

I've really got into Botched lately. I don't know why but I occasionally, once a year, get into before/after body shows. I like seeing uniboobs getting fixed and noses being de-Jacksoned and then catching my own face in the mirror and being so glad that I don't have fillers.

Natnar

Been watching The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell, it's sort of like Nigella meets Morticia Addams with Muppets. If you like the idea of cakes that look like roadkill and cookies that are shrunken heads then this might be for you.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Ham Bap on May 11, 2018, 10:51:17 AM
I love watching the ones were it all goes tits up, the Vegas one being exactly that. It usually starts to go wrong when they decide to have the wedding in another country and only 3 people out of 200 can go.

I sometimes Sky+ them or start to watch on TV but if i get the feeling everything is going to go swimmingly i turn it off.
I remember watching one, it was set in Dublin, and as soon as his bride to be left for the 3 weeks he went straight to the pub and bookies. I settled in for an hour of watchting everything going tits up.

Just googled the Vegas one, must bookmark it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc60N0xoIkM

I will search out the Oktoberfest one too. It better be horrible!

Edit* Found it http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dont-tell-the-bride/on-demand/66407-018

I need a full list of the worst ones.

bloody hell, I'd forgotten about that Vegas one, that was bloody grim. Some of the comments are suggesting they had to go through with it or she would be on the hook for god knows how much money. That aside, even setting foot outside the UK, never mind blowing all the money, is so fucking stupid.. Looking forward to the Oktoberfest one now.

phes

The Ibiza episode was fucking bleak. She was happy enough in the end, but I almost had to turn it off halfway through.

I'm just watching the footballer Come Dine With Me (Ruddock, Worthington, Palmer and Fashanu) and it's entertaining in many ways.

What the fuck is John Fashanu.

QuotePalmer: Fash was the first one to wear coloured boots. Now everybody laughed, but...

Fash: Everybody laughed? I didn't know that.

phes

These episodes of Come Dine With Me from ~2008/9 are littered with male threat and uninvited touching, bording on sexual assaults. I tend to hang out mostly one on one (and I don't think I'm a sex pest), so this has been a bit of an eye opener to what women must have to put up with in social situations. Especially ones with alcohol.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phes on November 19, 2018, 04:22:58 PM
The Ibiza episode was fucking bleak. She was happy enough in the end, but I almost had to turn it off halfway through.

I'm just watching the footballer Come Dine With Me (Ruddock, Worthington, Palmer and Fashanu) and it's entertaining in many ways.

What the fuck is John Fashanu.

Some of the shit he was coming out with, and generally just being a tedious moralising prick on the Gone to Pot thing was great.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Not TV but YouTube. I'm almost 100% certain this guy is a tosser of the highest order as all he seems to talk about is 'banging bitches' or 'paying some chick to bang his friend'. I watched the whole fucking thing. Also his backstory sounds like it's had some cosmetic surgery. A lot of people saying he came into his money through his dad's fraud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX5Iw-XsWu4

phes

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 20, 2018, 11:02:04 PM
Some of the shit he was coming out with, and generally just being a tedious moralising prick on the Gone to Pot thing was great.

Thanks for that. That moment (don't wanna spoil it) with Fash (re. his kid) is genuinely breathtaking though.

samadriel