Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:09:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TV Guilty pleasures.

Started by rjd2, April 07, 2011, 06:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Stone Cold Jane Austen on February 06, 2012, 11:25:16 PM
Yeah, I've been watching Playing It Straight as well, even though it really is the worst thing ever. I've currently got a 100% success rate with the gay-guessing so I'll be sticking with the series until it ends now.

This could be the reason why it's so addictive. My gaydar has also been 100% accurate so far, I'm not sure about the twins, and the only one I have no idea about is Sven but I do have a sneaking suspicion he's a bit of a bastard so I'd ask him to "leave the hacienda" anyway. I did like seeing the Transylvanian straight guy trying to tell The Lovely Cara that she'd "made a mistake" before calling her a bitch- yep, she definitely lost out there.

*urgghhhh, someone pass me the brain bleach, I feel dirty*

I might have to have a look at The Hotel (I've worked in one too)- is it anything like The Armstrongs?

Dead kate moss

I gave The Hotel a little look but it seemed semi-scripted like TOWIE... something not quite right. Is it not? Not not quite right?

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 06, 2012, 11:54:53 PM

I might have to have a look at The Hotel (I've worked in one too)- is it anything like The Armstrongs?

It's not as staged as The Armstrongs. I think it's made by the same team who do One Born Every Minute and 24 Hours in A and E, there's a load of fixed camera's dotted around the place so you don't get people constantly acting like they're 'on camera', more natural interactions. It's interspersed with talking heads with the staff (a workaholic boss who's always looking for a money making scheme, and his employees who comically belittle him behind his back (and to his face)) and interviews with the guests (often elderly couples talking about how they met, lovely stuff). It's a charming little show, really nice, cosy, sunday night telly.

Quote from: Dead kate moss on February 07, 2012, 12:08:59 AM
I gave The Hotel a little look but it seemed semi-scripted like TOWIE... something not quite right. Is it not? Not not quite right?

I don't think it is, quite the opposite in fact. I mean, it's definitely heavily edited so that each episode has 'a story' but, for a docusoap, it seems pretty natural. Having said that, I've never seen TOWIE (a man has to draw the line somewhere) so I can't really make a comparison.

Blue Jam

I clean forgot to quote the best line from last night's PiS (seems an apt set of initials)- Levi, on being asked to explain the mysterious masked hombre in his drawing: "he's, like, The Midnight Rapist". I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant something along the lines of "Milk Tray Man" but that was still further into Levi's psyche than I really wanted to see. Don't worry though Cara, I think he's gay.

Quote from: Dead kate moss on February 07, 2012, 12:08:59 AM

I refused to watch TOWIE because the advertising was doing my nut in, especially on Yahoo Mail where I was bombarded with the same image of fake tits straining at a pink bra. I gave Made In Chelsea a try and that one seemed entirely scripted from start to finish. I have a feeling Desperate Scousewives may just seem painfully familiar, what's the verdict here?

Sony Walkman Prophecies

I was watching at least 4 episodes of Two and a Half Men per day the other week. I think it was the hyper-reality that pulled me in initially - unlike most US sitcoms which have moved on considerably since Curb your Enthusiasm, Two and a Half Men is still stuck in this world where cardboard cutouts of trees count as "Malibu beach" and a filmed backdropped of cars wizzing behind a stationary vehicle counts as "traffic". Basically it's one of those shows where even when youre outdoors everything looks and feels like it's still inside (because it is).

Obviously im not going to defend the thing on conceptual grounds - it's nothing that hasnt been done before and done better. But there is something mildly enriching and comforting about watching actors playing within, for the majority of the time, no more than 3 sets. It's like watching theatre. Only really bad theatre where no one has bothered to read the script and the lead looks like he's on drugs, which in hindsight we know full-well he was.

Utter Shit

I honestly think Geordie Shore is one of the funniest shows on TV at the moment. It has a strange mix of detestable arseholes and likeable, funny idiots. Vicky, Sophie, Gaz, Jay and particularly Charlotte have incredibly funny turns of phrases that I half-suspect must have been fed to them by a team of writers, they're that good...but the delivery is so good as well that I suspect it's all their own 'material' so to speak.

rjd2

Cougartown is my latest, I won't try to justify it as its terrible but its just the relentless forced quirkiness that draws me to it.

bomb_dog

Take Me Out on ITV.

It's shockingly fantastic. If you haven't seen Saturday 4th February's edition yet, you have to see it. The last guy drops a clanger by praising someone without realising he's insulted 29 other girls. The rest of the programme has to be watched cringing behind a pillow.

Utter Shit

Ahaha yes that was immense. I got the feeling he was actually a decent guy as well, he just kept fucking up over and over again.

Subtle Mocking

TMO is great Saturday night TV.

This one has been mentioned a few pages back, but the new series of Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents is currently showing on BBC Three. A brilliantly awkward little show, last week's episode had some fantastic moments such as this overconfident LAD bellend getting 'TOP BLOKE' tattooed on his arse, and then kicking off with the cameraman when his mum and step-dad turned up.

holyzombiejesus

There have been some cracking 'let's have a laugh at the pissed up mentals' programmes lately, mostly on Channel 4. Bouncers was fantastic, a particular highlight being the guy who recounted a fight claiming it was started by someone 'giving it the big big big to his cousin-in-law'. I could have done without the story of the girl
Spoiler alert
giving a guy a blow job whilst she was shitting though
[close]
Party Paramedics was good too, especially this week's episodes where they showed casualties at 3 music festivals, Wireless, Guildfest (headliners: Status Quo) and "Scotland's answer to Glastonbury, 'The Wickerman festival'".
And of course there's the new series of the inhibitable Sun, Sex & Suspicious Parents. BBC3 showing the world what it does best (gawping at slags and freaks).

holyzombiejesus

I have mixed feelings about last night's Pointless. On one hand, they had a pretty girl on Monday's episode and I was looking forward to seeing her again in her new outfit. Unfortunately, they seemed to have skipped an episode and she wasn't on. However, I can take a positive away as I guessed 4 (yes, 4!) different pointless answers to one of the rounds.

Gulftastic

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 08, 2012, 03:04:56 PM
I have mixed feelings about last night's Pointless. On one hand, they had a pretty girl on Monday's episode and I was looking forward to seeing her again in her new outfit. Unfortunately, they seemed to have skipped an episode and she wasn't on. However, I can take a positive away as I guessed 4 (yes, 4!) different pointless answers to one of the rounds.

Repeats till Monday for some reason, you haven't skipped a day.

holyzombiejesus

Really? Was the one on Monday just gone a new one? I thought that they'd just missed an episode out. I hope you're right. They mentioned The Jesus Lizard the other day.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bomb_dog on February 07, 2012, 11:20:53 PM
Take Me Out on ITV.

It's shockingly fantastic. If you haven't seen Saturday 4th February's edition yet, you have to see it. The last guy drops a clanger by praising someone without realising he's insulted 29 other girls. The rest of the programme has to be watched cringing behind a pillow.

Consider me a convert. I loved the way the last guy kept putting his foot in his mouth (and the way the woman he picked pretended she definitely wasn't looking forward to a date with a cartoonishly good-looking model at all, oh no) but my favourite bit was seeing how many lights went out after the first guy revealed himself to be a charity mugger. I'd just been harassed by a couple of particularly aggressive chuggers on my way home so that made my day.

Utter Shit

I think my favourite part of the show is noticing exactly what makes them turn off their lights. One time a guy said he liked kids and someone turned her light off, presumably on the basis that she either hates kids, or thought he was a pervert.

Subtle Mocking

I also love "I still live with my mum," followed by about 8 lights going off simultaneously.

bomb_dog

Here's the Take Me Out clip I mentioned. It's had over a million views...

Quite often the lights go out when they say they have a child and show them preparing to go out, then a few shots of them bowling. Then, when quizzed over it, they come up with something like 'I don't like his taste in wallpaper', 'I don't like ten pin bowling, you'd have more fun with someone else', that sort of thing.

Not all the girls have worked out to keep the lights on until a time when he says something innocuous about pasta or something.

Hank Venture

Even though Trailer Park Boys is very good, I'm almost ashamed of how much I enjoy it. I mean, almost pissed myself at "Gut Cassidy and the Sundance Cheeseburger".

samadriel

Ricky simply getting shot is always gold.

dr beat

Another fan of Tek Meh Oot here. I find myself strangely drawn to relationship shows, such as DTTB, prob cos i find this whole area rather perplexing. But the spontanaeity of TMO is a strength.

mycroft

Paddy "Rohypnol[nb]come on, look at him![/nb]" McGuinness' sole joke appears to be "repeat what someone just said in a high-pitched voice". For which he invariably receives applause. I hope the Illuminati are noting the names of those in attendance.

turnstyle

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on February 08, 2012, 11:00:16 AM

This one has been mentioned a few pages back, but the new series of Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents is currently showing on BBC Three. A brilliantly awkward little show, last week's episode had some fantastic moments such as this overconfident LAD bellend getting 'TOP BLOKE' tattooed on his arse, and then kicking off with the cameraman when his mum and step-dad turned up.

As much as I despise all the component parts of this show (reality TV, thick teens and the general 'Skins'-ness of it), I have found myself tuning in every week. A real guilty pleasure this one.

I really enjoyed 'Top Bloke'. For starters, he claimed to be 18 (I think?), but looked about 40. So much so that I was convinced that HE was the husband, and it was all just a ruse to bag him a free holiday. The tattoo bit was excellent, especially when he declared that having 'Top Bloke' tattooed on your arse made it official. Like nobody could ever say otherwise, because you'd paid some sweaty chap in a shack 20 euros to have a vague and meaningless statement scrawled on your arse cheek.

One thing that this show does really well, for the most part, is show how good a relationship these kids have with their parents. It's not something you often see in reality TV, and bizarrely, the show is a testament to the family unit. The parents can be a little overbearing at times (and I suppose that they naturally would be, having applied for the show), but there never seems to be any real rifts in their relationships. I actually find the 'reveal' quite sweet. Well, aside from Top Bloke, who was frankly something of a cunt.

At the start of each episode, I really detest the kids at first glance, but I do warm to them as the show goes on. This is especially true of the blonde guy in this weeks episode. When he first showed up with his hair, I had already made my mind up about him. Actually, he turned out to be fairly well grounded. The same goes for Asher, from the same episode. I saw his shit tattoos and wanted him to just perish, but again, he was pretty switched on. He also wore his Mums trousers, which was so brilliantly naff that I couldn't help but like him.

I'm glad that there wasn't a film crew following me around when I was 18, because I'm sure the world would have (quite rightly) thought I was a cock. All things considered, the kids in this do pretty well.

Oh, and the parents are always excellent value.

Saucer51

The World's Strictest Parents - For those of you who haven't seen it, the BBC take two conveniently chavvy teenagers and places them with a family for two weeks in some far flung country to learn about discipline and - er - family. The formula is pretty much set in stone. Adoptive family naturally erudite and respectable and display shock at the rebelliousness of the British teenagers. Smoking is always a contentious issue, be it with a Texan, Jamaican or Gurjurati family and at least of one of the teens will storm out and declare the experiment over, only to relent with hugs and kisses and sudden understanding. Oh, and the British male teenager is nine times out of ten gay, which adds a little spice to an already simmering broth of disapproval and devout religiousness from the adoptive family.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: turnstyle on February 10, 2012, 09:32:03 AM

One thing that this show does really well, for the most part, is show how good a relationship these kids have with their parents. It's not something you often see in reality TV, and bizarrely, the show is a testament to the family unit. The parents can be a little overbearing at times (and I suppose that they naturally would be, having applied for the show), but there never seems to be any real rifts in their relationships.

Did you see the first series? One father made his daughter bend over in front of him every time she went out so that he could make sure that no-one could see her knickers.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Take Me Out has a lot of base-level enjoyment to it, especially the noseyness, the bitching and seeing whether two people hit it off is always prurient voyeuristic good fun.

Then I realised pretty much all I was doing to entertain myself, and all the other people watching with me or making comments on line were doing, was slagging off people's looks, and quickly noticed that the entire show and the message it sends out about values and gender is just appalling, bleak and rotten. Once you strip away Paddy's natural (albeit troweled on) northern light-entertainment flair that gives it a sense of harmlessness the whole thing is actually horrendous.

CaledonianGonzo

The only victim of Man vs. Food is the host[nb]And anyone daft enough to attempt to replicate him[/nb], and that's why it's still the best!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 10, 2012, 11:08:30 AM
The only victim of Man vs. Food is the host[nb]And anyone daft enough to attempt to replicate him[/nb], and that's why it's still the best!
I love "Outrageous Food" and "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" on the Food Network. Guilty pleasures in that the foods would kill me - butter, butter and more butter, with the notion of health a long-distant concept. But damn do those foods look tasty.

Blue Jam

Quote from: mycroft on February 10, 2012, 07:27:22 AM
Paddy "Rohypnol[nb]come on, look at him![/nb]" McGuinness' sole joke appears to be "repeat what someone just said in a high-pitched voice".

No, he has a second one: "He's like a sexy Simon Cowell!/Boris Johnson!/teddy bear!/school prefect![nb]come on, look at him! Actually no, that may be a little harsh but for some reason I don't trust him. I wouldn't buy a used car from him anyway.[/nb]"

Blue Jam

...oh, and "The Isle of Fernando's" is some sort of running joke, isn't it? Looking forward to tonight's edition and seeing how Chelsea and the model she honestly isn't attracted to found their date on "The Isle".