Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,398
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:46:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb series 8

Started by spraticus, April 10, 2011, 12:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spraticus

Curb Your Enthusiasm is apparently due to return to HBO on Sunday nights from July 10th.

Richard Lewis and J.B. Smoove on the Hill-Man Morning Show

Jobey

This new series has a lot to live up to. I hope it does.

Onionlimit

I've been really looking forward to this.  Over the moon to see that Leon is back - as well as Suzie.  I like the idea of it being in New York and am interested to see how much it will change the dynamic of the programme. 

I'm also quite looking forward to Ricky Gervais.  He's clearly a fan of Larry David so it'll be interesting how he plays this.  Hopefully he'll be a bit more prominent than Steve Coogan was.

mr. logic

With them doing that film together, and with much of this series being in New York, I had allowed myself to dream of a Woody Allen cameo.  You imagine they would have mentioned it in the publicity but they may be saving it as a surprise.  They may be doing that.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Woody doing a cameo in Curb is a lovely, tantalising idea, but it seems unlikely. But I'm looking forward to the Gervais appearance, if only because I'm always intrigued by British comedians appearing in established US comedies. Coogan wasn't used to the best of his abilities in Curb, but it was an interesting crossover.

Mister Six

Quote from: Onionlimit on April 10, 2011, 10:56:46 PMI'm also quite looking forward to Ricky Gervais.  He's clearly a fan of Larry David so it'll be interesting how he plays this.  Hopefully he'll be a bit more prominent than Steve Coogan was.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Onionlimit

I know a lot of people really hate Gervais, but going on that interview he did a few years ago he clearly has a lot of respect for Larry David.  Which would mean he wouldn't try to one-up him or anything.  Probably.

Anyone know if he'll be playing himself or a 'character' (ie. David Brent with another name)?

Gavin

Quote from: Onionlimit on April 11, 2011, 08:30:52 AM
I know a lot of people really hate Gervais, but going on that interview he did a few years ago he clearly has a lot of respect for Larry David.  Which would mean he wouldn't try to one-up him or anything.  Probably.

Anyone know if he'll be playing himself or a 'character' (ie. David Brent with another name)?

Did you not see him in Louie? Horrible.

Someone years ago suggested that it is better to consider Ricky Gervais as a character created by David Brent.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Onionlimit on April 11, 2011, 08:30:52 AM

He also did a Ricky Gervais Meets... episode with Christopher Guest, who he clearly loves, and went on to be 'not very good' in CG's worst film and to contribute to the fucking awful Spinal Tap documentary on the recent DVD re-release.

A.A

Of the first three episodes that I saw of that Louie show, Ricky Gervais was the only thing in it to actually make me laugh.

I also thought Gervais was great on that terrible Jerry Seinfeld show where he guest-starred alongside Larry David and Madonna.

Looking forward to this season of Curb, the last two seasons have been sensational. 

Caroline

I'm really looking forward to Marc Maron's appearance in this season, whenever it comes.

Quote from: Caroline on April 11, 2011, 01:40:19 PM
I'm really looking forward to Marc Maron's appearance in this season, whenever it comes.

Is he actually on it? I thought there was just talk about Jeff Garlin getting him a part but nothing came to pass.

Jobey

Ricky Gervais looks unwell as a thin healthy man.

Jon Glaser's in that video too. It looks like lots of fun.

Gavin

Rosie O'Donnell looks as much like David Brent as Gervais does.

wheatgod

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on April 11, 2011, 04:00:56 PM
Jon Glaser's in that video too. It looks like lots of fun.

Very good news! So this season Larry has tapped up the NY based scene. Wouldn't a PFFR episode be great? Like this season's Freak Book/McEnroe episode.

weaseldust

cannot wait. i guess they're not doing the whole hour-long thing with the discussion on the end then? there was a thread about it before... anyway i'm glad

Scrapey Fish

Edit: sorry, ignore

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: weaseldust on April 17, 2011, 05:35:36 PM
cannot wait. i guess they're not doing the whole hour-long thing with the discussion on the end then? there was a thread about it before... anyway i'm glad

No, that's just for when it's repeated on commercial television- The episodes are interspersed with discussions and extended to avoid having to cut 8-9 minutes off the actual show, as they would have to do in a half-hour slot.

Old Nehamkin

And now Jeff Garlin has tweeted that Paul F. Tompkins is also appearing. Yay!

wheatgod

Dark Sky

I think Curb is the only programme I like where I dispair slightly whenever we get news that more of it is being made.

batwings

Quote from: Gavin on April 11, 2011, 08:53:42 AM
Did you not see him in Louie? Horrible.

Gervais was hysterical in Louie.

Little Hoover

He wasn't quite as hateful as Nick De Paolo, I'll give him that.

Kriegsmarine

I wish Gervais would fuck off out of it. Of course his past endeavours are worth of the praise, but, as his dreadful Cemetery Junction proved, he ain't King Midas. We are all well aware of his love of quality US comedy, but he and Larry David are very different entities.....he nearly always manage to do 'himself' and in some contexts, it doesn't work. Yes, he was great at the Golden Globes, but Curb is something he shouldn't go near....Coogan was good in it, but it was unnecessary. He's far more versatile than Gervais, I just can't see it working.......I hope I'm wrong, Curb is one of the best TV shows ever!

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Dark Sky on April 19, 2011, 09:32:17 AM
I think Curb is the only programme I like where I dispair slightly whenever we get news that more of it is being made.

Could you elaborate on this?

mr. logic

The delivery of "because we're not friends" is superb.

BlodwynPig

I hope its better than that trailer - voios - victim of its own success