Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:44:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb series 8

Started by spraticus, April 10, 2011, 12:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Hoover

Oh now I hear it isn't even until episode 8. This is some pretty terrible promo if it's true.

Artemis

Agreed. I would have responded to your first post by asking why isn't it right to blame a show for not doing what it said it would in the promo? I think that's perfectly reasonable. Remember those posters? Now if Larry isn't moving until after 75% of the show is over, that's pretty bad. Almost as bad as those alternative promos featuring LARRY GETTING INSULTED in a variety of different situations (yawn).

As I suspected, there is no reason for this show to exist after a Seinfeld reunion season. I've enjoyed all the episodes so far, some more than others, but it's run its course. I don't see what a move to New York is going to do for it, particularly when it doesn't even happen until the end anyway.

Artemis

Quote from: The Region Legion on August 02, 2011, 10:17:36 PM
As I suspected, there is no reason for this show to exist after a Seinfeld reunion season.

Agreed. Season four had no reason for existence either. CYE should have been a six season show ending on the Seinfeld reunion. That would have been perfect, really perfect.

Little Hoover

Quote from: Artemis on August 02, 2011, 09:04:53 PM
Agreed. I would have responded to your first post by asking why isn't it right to blame a show for not doing what it said it would in the promo? I think that's perfectly reasonable.

Larry David and the shows producers don't handle the PR stuff.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Doesn't it look from the synopsis here that New York actually starts at episode 6?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Curb_Your_Enthusiasm_episodes#Season_8_.282011.29  (Mention of a flight, and possibly the NY subway, and also Gervais.)

Old Nehamkin

I don't really get this talk of the show needing a "reason to exist" past a certain point, to be honest. This isn't a serial drama, there's pretty much zero character/ plot development across seasons anyway so it's not like there's ever been a logical place to end the show for artistic reasons. Surely as long as everyone involved remains invested and the show continues to be funny and entertaining, why shouldn't it exist?

also, I'm pretty sure the promotion said that half the season will be set in LA and half in NY.

Artemis

Quote from: Little Hoover on August 02, 2011, 10:22:15 PM
Larry David and the shows producers don't handle the PR stuff.

That's kind of beside the point, isn't it? I'm not interested who's behind it; I'm not apportioning blame here, I'm just saying - here's a show promoted as 'Larry Goes To New York' but actually Larry doesn't, not until over half way through anyway. It just seems like a misleading premise, whoever's behind it.

Little Hoover

Well okay, but I'm trying to say you can't review a show based on expectations when you were misled over something. That isn't a critique over the show itself.

thugler

Couldn't care less where larry is, I'm just enjoying the show for what it is. Funny. The formula is well worn, but that's pretty much why I love it so.

NoSleep

Quote from: Artemis on August 03, 2011, 01:31:03 AM
That's kind of beside the point, isn't it? I'm not interested who's behind it; I'm not apportioning blame here, I'm just saying - here's a show promoted as 'Larry Goes To New York' but actually Larry doesn't, not until over half way through anyway. It just seems like a misleading premise, whoever's behind it.

I bet you're one of those people that complains every time Aqua Unit Patrol Squad runs the words "Seattle" on the screen because they're clearly still in New Jersey.

Artemis

Quote from: NoSleep on August 03, 2011, 04:02:30 PM
I bet you're one of those people that complains every time Aqua Unit Patrol Squad runs the words "Seattle" on the screen because they clearly are still in New Jersey.

Don't be so silly, NoSleep. All I'm saying is that when you promote a new series like this:

It's reasonable to expect that Larry's going to be in New York earlier than the eighth episode out of a total of ten. That's all I'm saying. If his relocation means this season improves, it'll be a great shame they left it so late.

Old Nehamkin

As I said above, I'm pretty sure it's been said that the second half of the season will be set in NY, so five episodes starting with 6. It is a little later in the season than usual to start an arc, but it's still a significant enough amount of episodes to justify being part of the promotion. IIRC, only about half the episodes last season focussed on the Seinfeld reunion which was far more heavily promoted.

NoSleep

Quote from: Artemis on August 03, 2011, 04:07:13 PM
Don't be so silly, NoSleep. All I'm saying is that when you promote a new series like this:

http://cdn.tvovermind.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/curb-your-enthusiasm.jpg

It's reasonable to expect that Larry's going to be in New York earlier than the eighth episode out of a total of ten. That's all I'm saying. If his relocation means this season improves, it'll be a great shame they left it so late.
Who knows? Maybe he pitched it because HBO wanted "something new", knowing full well it would run as usual. I figure Aqua Unit Patrol Squad are almost certainly doing something like this; unless it's some sort of meta-game where they have created an imaginary pressure to change the series (both are possible given the last episode of the prior series).

It would seem strange to move towns and lose all the old support characters in one fell swoop, as there would only be reason for Jeff & Susie to follow him. Perhaps the move will conclude the series (or he'll not like it and return to LA).

thugler

Quote from: Artemis on August 03, 2011, 03:34:56 PM
Fixed.

If it's still funny then who cares about the formula. What do you expect them to change? It's a pretty simple show.

mr. logic

I don't see the big deal about him being in New York. The episodes they've already done there weren't markedly different. (Well the Producers was during the performance, but not until that point.)

NoSleep

So similar that I'd forgotten that the production was on Broadway. How many episodes are actually based in New York?

Old Nehamkin

NoSleep

And that was the "1" that was "markedly different"?

mr. logic

Quote from: NoSleep on August 03, 2011, 05:57:30 PM
And that was the "1" that was "markedly different"?

The last 20 minutes were, because we were watching a Broadway performance. The preceding forty minutes had arguments about tipping, and another argument about whose responsibilty it was to replace a missing watch. 

They also had bits of the pilot in New York, though I concede my plural was a trifle ambitious.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on August 03, 2011, 04:15:25 PM
As I said above, I'm pretty sure it's been said that the second half of the season will be set in NY, so five episodes starting with 6.

And I said it 20 minutes before you, having already said it once a couple of days ago. I am the best and the people who can't be arsed to read the thread properly smell.

NoSleep

He'll soon be missing his golf.[nb]Because they don't have golf clubs in NY.[/nb]

Custard

Curb is weird these days, for me. First time i see a new episode I almost always ending up feeling a bit disappointed, yet by the second viewing I'm enjoying them a load more. Whereas the first few seasons got me pretty instantly. Very strange. So i wasn't blown away by this season so far, yet rewatching all four new episodes this week was much more fun, and made me appreciate them more.

Gotta say, last season was pretty magic. Went through that again this week, after getting the DVD. The scenes with Larry and Jerry Seinfeld just sat round talking shit = GOLD

I do miss the days of the bonafide hilarious Curb wrap-up/pay-off scene at the end of those early episodes, though. Still, 8 seasons in, and its still a pretty great fooking show, and totally unmissable for me.

So, um yeah, more please

alan nagsworth

Latest episode was so embarrassingly shit, I didn't laugh once. Seriously awful. Larry's become a mugging idiot, even his interactions with Jeff and Richard Lewis were extremely laboured. He's also apparently now a new-found womaniser? It's not entirely unbelievable seeing how rich he is but as he had previously celebrated being a complete flop with women... I dunno, it doesn't wash. All of a sudden he's dating a fucking restaurant hostess? That's the sort of 'by the way' plot angles that were previously reserved for the lesser characters, whose roles have pretty much lessened as well. Having so many stupid little plots like this involving the lead character is just aimless and uninteresting. I didn't give a fuck about the hostess and rather than get excited about him ruining his prospects with a beautiful woman, I found it very boring.

Wasn't she rubbing sun cream all over his head in the garden scene, and then his entire head bar the smiley face is bright red? Improbable. The Big Dog cabinet shit (and Antoinette and her dying father repeating the 'never give up a cabinet' thing) was, again, a simple observation taken to dull extremes. Is Larry basically running out of ideas? Oh and that fucking crap with Antoinette's mother being all like "NO SHIT" at the funeral... what? Way too laboured and it seemed deliberately zany just to quicken the pace of the scene, which should have played out a lot differently.

I really did not like this episode.

Quote from: Shameless on August 05, 2011, 10:25:34 PM
The scenes with Larry and Jerry Seinfeld just sat round talking shit = GOLD

Yeah absolutely, I loved that. I'd hate to assume that after such a peak of interaction opportunities afforded to him by masking that season with a fictional Seinfeld reunion, perhaps brought on by feeling like there was a lack of ideas and that by bringing Jerry et all in, it would help keep things steady... but, if this season has showed me anything, it's that there's definitely a distinct lack of communication apparent to me. It's considerably weaker.

BlodwynPig

Hey Assy, i have to admit that this latest series has failed to deliver. Contrived. Any ideas why it could suddenly lose its magic - is it in the writing or is it in the viewer? or both. Anyway, despite its averageability it still contains some nice nuggets. As I said before, the ensemble pieces seem always to bring out the best from the performers - so more of that would be welcome.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Fitfully amusing last night - no over-the-top mugging anyway.  Fave moments were Larry with the vet's wife and Larry & Jeff pretending to misunderstand the vow-of-silence guy.  Nice tie-up at the end, and the when-does-New-York-start question is settled.

mr. logic

Interesting preview for next week: Gervais saying he loves broad comedy like Seinfeld and David looking irritated.

I really liked last night's.  The director hassling Larry about the fun day was a highlight- "these kids will make you feel better about yourself if only by comparison."

I'm like Richard Lewis- I won't go anywhere without a second phone call confirmation.

Jim Jarmusch

Although the show doesn't really change that was reminiscent of an earlier era Curb. Tight script, no real excess fluff and it all largely served it's purpose. Solid, second favourite of this season.

So five episode of LA Larry, five New York Larry. We can now halt proceedings of the people vs HBO in a false advertisement suit. I'm doubtful whether Jeff and Suzie will be enough of a supporting cast to have around. I turn it off before the preview if they showed any similar faces who are now said to reside in NY.

I hate how it's become a standard to show you the best bits of next week's out of context. The same with Dexter. I have the remote control in hand as the episode begins to end and immediately stop the video.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on August 09, 2011, 01:56:53 PM
So five episode of LA Larry, five New York Larry. We can now halt proceedings of the people vs HBO in a false advertisement suit. I'm doubtful whether Jeff and Suzie will be enough of a supporting cast to have around. I turn it off before the preview if they showed any similar faces who are now said to reside in NY.

I didn't catch next week's episode preview but I'm sure J B Smoove was seen on the set in New York in one of the season trailers, although I haven't seen Leon in any of the scripted NY previews.  Maybe he follows Larry out there.

I was hoping Funkhouser would fly out there as well, his divorce earlier in the season being the set-up that allows it.  We'll see.