Author Topic: Curb series 8  (Read 21166 times)

Tiny Poster

• Dr. Cod will see you now
Re: Curb series 8
« Reply #180 on: August 10, 2011, 10:37:54 AM »
Although the show doesn't really change that was reminiscent of an earlier era Curb. Tight script, no real excess fluff and it all largely served it's purpose.

Really? The stuff with the vet, his wife and Brett Gelman didn't go anywhere at all. That felt really odd for Curb.

« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2011, 07:54:51 PM »
I also think this most recent episode was a big improvement, certainly compared to others this season.  I still think Larry is over-(re)acting half the time, but this episode was the first time in season eight Curb actually delighted me like in the old days, with the [spoiler]Pinkberry on the plane[/spoiler] reveal. I thought it was just going to be Larry being present, but that extra touch was great. I also like they didn't just milk Susie for all she's worth like they have been, sparing us from another 'SUSIE YELLS' sequence with Larry, instead setting it up nicely for later in the episode, like they used to do much more. It was also lovely to see Larry back on the defensive trying to [spoiler]get out of the benefits gig[/spoiler]; I much prefer that side of him to when he's just being insensitive and selfish in a series of set-pieces obviously just set up for that purpose.

In short, one of two episodes I've really enjoyed this season. I'm looking forward to seeing what Gervais brings to the table.

Beagle 2

• Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2011, 03:52:40 PM »
I'll always enjoy Curb, it's my favourite show of all time so I'm pleased to spend another half hour in its company, but to be honest I thought after the shows so far in this season that it was looking a bit tired. But that latest episode is up there with the best episodes ever. So much going on, and Vance trying to yell at Larry on mute was just sublime. You can never write it off, and as long as he wants to keep making it, I'll be watching.

dr_christian_troy

• Golden Member
  • Sapientia Sapienti Dona Data
    • PODNOSE - The UK's Leading Independent Entertainment Podcast Network
« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2011, 04:33:57 PM »
Also seemed a smart move to kill off Oscar, since the Greenes are off to NY for 3 months. I think my favourite episode of the season so far would be 'Palestinian Chicken'.

Probably just a coincidence the finale, presumably still set in NY, is on September 11th!

Oops! Wrong Planet

• What happened to your peace lily?
« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »
Good episode last night with some vintage Larry pettiness.  Gervais is fine in it although he (inevitably?) [spoiler]does a dwarf joke[/spoiler].

I didn't catch next week's episode preview but I'm sure J B Smoove was seen on the set in New York in one of the season trailers, although I haven't seen Leon in any of the scripted NY previews.  Maybe he follows Larry out there.

[spoiler]Ruckus ahoy[/spoiler].

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2011, 11:53:10 AM »
The Gervais episode was spot on for me, despite my misgivings about Gervais's output. It was very nice to see the two particular flavours of misanthropy that Larry and Gervais expound clashing. At least it made a change from the arguably formulaic intra-judeo conflict which takes the form of ad nauseam repetition, cf. 'I know what you're doing. This is a chat-and-cut / this isn't a chat-and-cut / i'm the king of chat-and-cut I know a chat-and-cut.' ect ect

I also liked the moment of self-awareness, cf. [spoiler]Suzy: 'I have no choice [but to invite you]: it's like your some sort of appendage to us.'[/spoiler]. Brilliant punchline.

« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2011, 02:08:57 PM »
Wasn't it an unexpected surprise when he brandished a DVD of his standup special for ironic plugging.

« Reply #187 on: August 15, 2011, 02:13:14 PM »
Wasn't it an unexpected surprise when he brandished a DVD of his standup special for ironic plugging.

Jesus, seriously? I haven't seen this episode yet so I'll reserve judgement, but Gervais farting around ironically plugging his product and making dwarf jokes sounds like the worst case scenario.

pancreas

• The islets of Langerhans are the very best islets
« Reply #188 on: August 15, 2011, 03:03:54 PM »

In fairness, it was Extras [spoiler]and Larry leaps on it immediately.[/spoiler]

« Reply #189 on: August 15, 2011, 03:29:19 PM »
We had that problem again where the guest star is an obvious fan of the show so reacts towards Larry as though speaking to Curb your Enthusiasm's Larry David as opposed to somebody they've just met. In their initial scene, Gervais was trying way too hard to pick a fight, nobody ever does Ted Danson's silent seething anymore and it's a definite miss.  The ending was good and I enjoyed Suzie a lot this week.

« Reply #190 on: August 15, 2011, 06:40:22 PM »
per @theshaunnavarro
Next week on Curb, Larry gets in a asinine disagreement over a small amount of money despite having 100 million dollars.

@AndyKindler
On next week's "Curb Your Enthusiasm," Larry David walks around naked and insists that people call him Emperor.

@TheEricPatrick
next week on Curb, Larry pisses someone off, and miraculously runs into them again in the 2nd largest city in the country.

Oops! Wrong Planet

« Reply #191 on: August 15, 2011, 06:48:48 PM »
Makes you think.

Old Nehamkin

• Dance, Jimmy!
« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2011, 07:36:40 PM »
per @theshaunnavarro
Next week on Curb, Larry gets in a asinine disagreement over a small amount of money despite having 100 million dollars.

@AndyKindler
On next week's "Curb Your Enthusiasm," Larry David walks around naked and insists that people call him Emperor.

@TheEricPatrick
next week on Curb, Larry pisses someone off, and miraculously runs into them again in the 2nd largest city in the country.

Coincidence and contrivances in a farcical comedy show? STOP THE PRESSES

« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2011, 08:00:22 PM »
Sorry for hijacking your thread and forum, Old Nehamkin.  I found god forbid, humour in it. 

« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2011, 08:50:43 PM »
The humour when Larry quibbles over petty amounts of money is surely based on, not detracted by, the fact that he has hundreds of millions.  And, em, the emperor one doesn't work at all.

Oops! Wrong Planet

« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2011, 08:57:51 PM »
@lookatme
Next week on Curb, events surrounding Larry yet again conveniently come to a close at just under 30 minutes

Old Nehamkin

• Dance, Jimmy!
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2011, 09:29:22 PM »
Sorry for hijacking your thread and forum, Old Nehamkin.  I found god forbid, humour in it.

whoa there, slight overreaction, no? Just saying re: the third tweet that pointing out coincidental moments on a show that thrives on them is a little redundant. You could go on forever.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

• This little motherfucker's tasty!
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2011, 09:39:27 PM »
Curb is particularly formulaic, to be fair. I enjoy it for the most part, but It's vastly overrated, I feel.

Smeraldina Rima

• A slug-ridden cabbage
« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2011, 09:48:08 PM »
The Pez Dispenser style backstage scene made me wonder how many episodes of Seinfeld have featured or been recreated in Curb. How many examples can you think of? I can name one, Bob, and I've already done it, but I'm sure there are loads.

« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2011, 09:51:27 PM »
I've always been interested to see what would happen if Larry gave one of the supporting characters- Jeff would probably be the obvious choice- their own plot independent of Larry's character completely. It most likely wouldn't work, but would be a brave stab at freshening things up. There's more than David writing the show, now, so that may be something they look at.

chocolateboy

• Your mum REACTS
« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2011, 11:07:09 PM »
The Pez Dispenser style backstage scene made me wonder how many episodes of Seinfeld have featured or been recreated in Curb. How many examples can you think of?

The "materialising" waiter was similar to Seinfeld's "sidler".

papalaz4444244

• And Lo! he spaketh, and the thread dieth off
« Reply #201 on: August 15, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
I thought that was a great episode. Everything came together perfectly. I thought Gervais was pretty good.

In fact, this is the first ep this series I will definitely rewatch soon.

Oops! Wrong Planet

« Reply #202 on: August 15, 2011, 11:32:25 PM »
The Pez Dispenser style backstage scene made me wonder how many episodes of Seinfeld have featured or been recreated in Curb. How many examples can you think of?
The "materialising" waiter was similar to Seinfeld's "sidler".

The taking bread to a dinner party was done before when George's parents took a loaf of bread to Susan's parents'.

« Reply #203 on: August 15, 2011, 11:34:03 PM »
I've enjoyed the series so far but probably found the oscar dying episode the worst one of the run so far. I didn't enjoy Susie's acting in it and found it all a little contrived, even by Curb standards. Despite that, i found the whole getting out of the benefit/new york element one of the most enjoyable parts of the season so far which probably reflects the season so far for me - great in parts, frustrating in others.

The problem with the latest one was that the Gervais part didn't feel like anything new. I've seen him play that sort of character numerous times before and so it was sort of exactly how i'd imagine it to be (to a certain degree) although I doubt that would be the case for American viewers. Not that thats a criticism of him per se, he's obviously had to play the role like that.

Hopefully Leon and Funkhouser are going to find a way to pop in soon.

Oops! Wrong Planet

« Reply #204 on: August 15, 2011, 11:53:40 PM »
I've enjoyed the series so far but probably found the oscar dying episode the worst one of the run so far. I didn't enjoy Susie's acting in it and found it all a little contrived, even by Curb standards. Despite that, i found the whole getting out of the benefit/new york element one of the most enjoyable parts of the season so far which probably reflects the season so far for me - great in parts, frustrating in others.

The problem with the latest one was that the Gervais part didn't feel like anything new. I've seen him play that sort of character numerous times before and so it was sort of exactly how i'd imagine it to be (to a certain degree) although I doubt that would be the case for American viewers. Not that thats a criticism of him per se, he's obviously had to play the role like that.

Gervais seemed to be playing it slightly straighter with fewer of his ironic tics.  But he didn't exactly spring any surprises, no.

The worst part of the episode came early, namely the escalating argument with the woman in coach class being played out to a background of inexplicably oblivious passengers.  (And yet the significance of the incident where Larry fell on the drunk managed to pass down the length of the plane almost instantaneously.)

Hopefully Leon and Funkhouser are going to find a way to pop in soon.

[spoiler]Leon next week.[/spoiler]

NoSleep

• feat. Keith Jarrett and his singing parrot
    • Space Is The Place
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2011, 01:55:48 AM »
esit

Tiny Poster

• Dr. Cod will see you now
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2011, 11:04:27 AM »
I've read reviews/comments saying that these new Curbs are layered with intricate Seinfeld references, and thus proclaiming Larry David a genius for doing so. Whereas I just see old ideas being recycled.

« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2011, 04:45:20 PM »
That was shit. Went nowhere. Show needs to end now for it's own good and we can just pretend this season didn't happen.

weekender

« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2011, 10:03:12 PM »
If it still is semi-improvised, my initial reaction on watching S08E06 was that Gervais actually held his own in terms of fighting back with Larry, and raised some valid criticisms of Larry David the character which David couldn't answer immediately.

Just my initial reaction, of course, please don't hold me to anything.

« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2011, 10:34:43 PM »
That was shit. Went nowhere. Show needs to end now for it's own good and we can just pretend this season didn't happen.

I don't think this series has been anywhere near the best of previous series (except the Palestinian Chicken episode) -- but it's one of those shows I just like to watch, even when it's a bit crap.
I'd much rather it was on than not.