Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:35:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your absolute least favourite song

Started by Jumble Cashback, April 13, 2011, 01:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmymckooel

Ugggggh, thanks for the reminder of No way by vanilla. 

I song I despise has to be the Fast Food Song by the fast food rockers.  Apparently the band members are not even affiliated with Macdonalds, Pizza Hut etc... the sick bastards.  It's just the worst song ever. 

Gulftastic

Quote from: Petey Pate on April 13, 2011, 07:10:30 PM
Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer, the most incredibly irritating overplayed shit 'anthemic' song.

To be fair though, it's the first song to be composed entirely of cliches.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on April 14, 2011, 02:41:33 AMMy housemate moved out recently. The best part of this is that I won't have to hear this song every day any more. I hated it the first time I heard it but now I want to kill everybody in Sons of Mumford starting with the singer.

I have very a similar friend, who seems to think that song is some sort of profound anthem that must be played a dozen times in a row. Sings along and everything. I always thought it sounded fake, but I had no idea until now that they're an English band. For some reason that makes me dislike them and their folksy American posing even more.

phes

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on April 14, 2011, 11:23:49 AM
I was just writing a tirade about the Verve. I'm always suspicious of bands/artistes constantly telling their humble audience about how much soul and passion they've got, just in case their audience is too dull witted to figure it out for themselves. Which would probably be the case for Verves fanbase. Small town music for small town minds sung by a man whose mind is busy pondering which smart new set of loafers to purchase next. Noel Gallagher wrote that song about him, pointing out that he was so insubstantial he had cast no shadow didn't he? Uncharacteristically perceptive of Noel that. Nice one. Top one.

doesn't strike me that was the meaning at all.

The Roofdog

Quote from: An tSaoi on April 14, 2011, 12:40:58 PM
I always thought it sounded fake, but I had no idea until now that they're an English band. For some reason that makes me dislike them and their folksy American posing even more.

Surely "Country Winston" is American? He's got "Country" in his name!

Doomy Dwyer

Quote from: phes on April 14, 2011, 12:49:20 PM
doesn't strike me that was the meaning at all.

No, it's not. The song is supposed to be some sort of manly tribute to Ashcrofts perceived soulful mysticism and spiritual integrity. I was sort of 'comedically' misinterpreting the song on purpose in order to draw attention to Gallaghers lyrical shortcomings and imply that I think that Noel Gallagher is a cunt of equal proportion to Ashcroft. But it went a bit wrong as I rushed to jump on the anti-Verve bandwagon.

CaledonianGonzo

Conversely, I think Cast No Shadow is the last half-decent song Gallagher managed to write.

And A Song For The Lovers would be the last one from Richard Ashcroft that I'd give houseroom to.

Detective John Kimble

No noms for "I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker" yet?...meh, I would do it but it's just a wee bit played out, so I'll go for this instead:

Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays (+Lyrics)

I Don't Like Mondays.  Horrible beyond belief, really.  Comes at you with all the subtlety of a howitzer round to the skull, and then can't decide just who it wants to rip off more - Mercury?  Elton?...knowingly self-important and smugariffic, so badly wants to be an anthem, and one of the most annoyingly actorly performances ever laid down on a #1 record.  I loathe this almost as much as I loathe a lot of the awful mainstream "indie" crap that comes out today - probably because all of that's pretty much exactly the same as "I Don't Like Mondays" and detestable for the exact same reasons. 

danyulx

I'll forward Naïve by The Kooks as my absolute least favourite song.. by a long shot too. Sickening stuff.

The Kooks - Naive

It could perhaps be argued it's a "well-crafted pop song" or whatever, and it probably is.. but that just makes it even worse for me - the fact anyone who could well-craft anything would go purposefully craft this horror (see as well: The Third Reich). Everything about it just infuriates me - but especially the vocals, him, whoever the fuck he is. I detested it at the time, when it was released, but now even more so due to memories it now brings forth to boot..

It reminds me of being in University circa 2004-2007.. This song perfectly sums up that period of my life to a t, unfortunately. The absolute worst time of my life.. surrounded by the worst lot of human beings I've ever encountered (music students). This song was their anthem it seemed like, I couldn't get away from it, it was being played everywhere. Walking back to my room every night one summer and the same crowd of fuckwits sat outside on fucking deckchairs playing this song on seeming endless rotation till 2am full-belt.. all singing along! "I know, she knows!! I'm not fond of asking!!"" Sharrrr-up!

"Alright mate, what's up with you? Cheer up!... We're all in the same boat!"
...I'd hear, as I'd storm past the bastards, ready to burst into tears of despair..

Thank God those days are done with anyway.

Any song by The Killers can get lost too..

Treguard of Dunshelm

QuoteChasing Cars

Fucking hell yes, I hate Snow Patrol with a passion. "Ruby" by Kaiser Chiefs is also capable of driving me into a Hulk-like rage. Fuckng chorus sounds like a fucking Scooby fucking Doo impression, and I fucking hate Scooby fuckinig Doo. Lazy half assed smug vapid tossrape cumbollocks.

Utter Shit

Quote from: danyulx on April 14, 2011, 03:03:17 PM

It reminds me of being in University circa 2004-2007.. This song perfectly sums up that period of my life to a t, unfortunately. The absolute worst time of my life.. surrounded by the worst lot of human beings I've ever encountered (music students). This song was their anthem it seemed like, I couldn't get away from it, it was being played everywhere. Walking back to my room every night one summer and the same crowd of fuckwits sat outside on fucking deckchairs playing this song on seeming endless rotation till 2am full-belt.. all singing along! "I know, she knows!! I'm not fond of asking!!"" Sharrrr-up!

"Alright mate, what's up with you? Cheer up!... We're all in the same boat!"
...I'd hear, as I'd storm past the bastards, ready to burst into tears of despair..

Thank God those days are done with anyway.

Sounds to me like you were the problem, not them.

danyulx

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 14, 2011, 03:21:06 PM
Sounds to me like you were the problem, not them.

Usually that's the case, but you're wrong. I don't exaggerate when I say I'd hear that fucking song played and sang along to at least seven times at night (11pm-3am) over an entire summer, by this crowd of twats I mention, through my window. I can't think of anything more problematic.. It doesn't get any easier. It's my absolute least favourte song.

Any band with 'The ...' in their name is awful, as are all their songs. No comebacks.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Quote from: The Boston Crab on April 14, 2011, 04:36:49 PM
Any band formed after 1990 with 'The ...' in their name is awful, as are all their songs. No comebacks.

True.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: The Boston Crab on April 14, 2011, 04:36:49 PM
Any band with 'The ...' in their name is awful, as are all their songs. No comebacks.

We all know you love The Mamas and The Papas. Just as much as you're crazy about Alison Moyet, Bad Manners, Tiny Tim, Meatloaf, Rene out of Rene and Renata, and Adele.

I hate The Mamas and The Papas and love all the rest, yes. Love them. The AnCos can get to fuck though.

danyulx

Quote from: The Boston Crab on April 14, 2011, 04:36:49 PMAny band formed after 1990 with 'The ...' in their name is awful, as are all their songs. No comebacks.

Bobby Conn and The Glass Gypsies (2004). But that's all.

Definitely something by Bob Dylan, my all-time least-favourite musical artist. I could have gone for The Times They Are A Changin' or Blowin' In The Wind, but I have chosen Rainy Day Women No. 12 & 35 for its wanky "ooh - I'm menrtioning drugs! How cool am I!" air.

mycroft

'Had a Bad Day' by Daniel Powter. I don't know much by way of musical terminology, but there must be a word to describe a song where its every move can be predicted before you hear it. It's yet another of those songs that's built all around the one single phrase, as well.

And that fucking Kid Rock song that sampled 'Werewolves of London' (which I also can't stand, for reasons I'm not altogether sure of). Just complete shit.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: mycroft on April 14, 2011, 05:20:26 PM
And that fucking Kid Rock song that sampled 'Werewolves of London' (which I also can't stand, for reasons I'm not altogether sure of). Just complete shit.

I prefer not to think of that as an actual 'song', as such. It's more a kind of... evil, calculated crime against humanity.

Love Werewolves of London, though.

rjd2

Quote from: The Boston Crab on April 14, 2011, 04:40:38 PM
I hate The Mamas and The Papas and love all the rest, yes. Love them. The AnCos can get to fuck though.

The Roots proves this theroy very wrong!

No way. They, along with The Beatles, and all The other fucking idiots can get fucked.

I've made my mind up.

Neville Chamberlain

What about it?!?!?

How can anyone bring the brilliant The The into this thread?!?!?!?

danyulx

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on April 14, 2011, 06:34:46 PM
...the brilliant The The...

Tell that to The Boston Crab, mate. Or maybe their name cancels itself out.

Serge

I think The David Bowies prove this theory is wrong. Not to mention The Kraftwerks.

'The The' are not shit but under this new legislation, sadly, they are shit.

Phil_A

ADELE - 'Chasing Pavements'

This is such a load of nothing, isn't it? An absolute void of a song. A pastiche of soulfulness without an ounce of genuine emotion or humanity. At the time it came out, I must've heard it a dozen times on the radio, but such was it's blandness that it didn't even register, like a mildly irritating background noise.

I'm certain I loathe every Natasha Bedingfield song I've ever heard, but this is the worst. Just obnoxious in every possible way, and the sentiment is frankly a bit creepy.

Natasha Bedingfield - I Wanna Have Your Babies

She's even got a song called "Wild Horses", which is not in fact a Stones cover, but very similar, shitter song which is also called "Wild Horses". I would ask why she didn't just cover the original "Wild Horses", but then I realised I wouldn't want anyone to have to be subjected to that.

danyulx

Puddle of Mudd - She Hates Me

Probably my second least favourite song, ever - another song I couldn't get away from hearing all the time, during some "era" or other of my life I'm glad's now dead and buried.. Puddle of SHIT. No wonder she "fucking hates" him. So do I, and I never even dated him.

I like what the following had to say in his "autobiography"...

Quote from: Mark E. Smith of The FallMe and Elena use that thing on the telly with the subtitles to read some of the lyrics. Jesus Christ! 'I'm going up the hill, you're going to leave me, I'm going to leave you, why did you leave me?' It's pathetic. I'm just not interested in hearing about some lad's break-up with some college girl he thought was the love of his life and now he's had a few too many and can't remember who the fuck he is.... Lads today are a bit too open like this anyway: going to the doctor's every five minutes telling them how depressed and distanced they feel. You don't get lads like that in Russia. It's not part of the culture there. You can hear the whingeing in their music. It's stale. They should stop hiding away in their bedrooms with their computers and get out a bit. That'll sort out the lyrics.

massive bereavement

Songs about America get my goat. I can't decide which is worse, Kim Wilde's "We're the Kids in America" or that fucking bollocks by Red Box circa 1986, I can't remember the exact title but it had "America" in it (I ain't looking it up). Kim Wilde actually looks French and not American in her video so maybe that swings it.