Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:52:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sports Show with Norm Macdonald

Started by 3-d lobster, April 14, 2011, 10:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3-d lobster

http://sportsshow.comedycentral.com/

Norms new show started on Comedy Central, as you would expect it is like the daily show but about sports. I've been a huge fan of Norm for many years. For those not familiar, a quick youtube search and you will find hours of Letterman, Conan, Stern interviews that are comedy gold. His sitcoms were better than average but never great, his film cameos were brilliant albeit in rather shitty movies. His career sort of stalled at the beginning (sacked from SNL) and so never fulfilled his potential.

It appears that he is really making an attempt to make this good. He did a recent comedy special (I think it is his first?) which is brilliant, Norms style makes it look like he hasn't even started 20mins into his set but I'm too busy laughing to care. He's on twitter and promoting the shit out of this show.

It was good, the same laid back style and cheeky smile, wry observation and distorted logic, made me laugh a lot and the Blake Griffin sketch was more funny than had right to be. I think when he gets more comfortable with the format this has the potential to be amazing (as with all Norm projects). Can't wait for the next one.

Famous Mortimer

I thought it was excellent, and well done to Blake Griffin for acting like he was Norm under makeup. A surprising comic ability, that fella.

It was a bit like if Weekend Update was all about sport and went on for 22 minutes, but as he was the best Weekend Update host ever, that's not a bad thing. Loved pretty much all of it, even though I didn't recognise a few of the references, and even though it's Norm Macdonald which means it'll be cancelled too early, I'll be watching as long as it's on.

There's an honest (if slightly wrong-headed) interview with him over at the AV Club now, good reading it makes.

Ignatius_S

Thanks for the heads-up!

Also, ta about that interview - http://www.avclub.com/chicago/articles/norm-macdonald,39760/

One of my friends joked that McDonald left Saturday Night Live because of drugs – which must have taken some doing. I caught a bit of a documentary that mentioned an executive (I assume it was Don Ohlmeyer) - from what I remember, it claimed that McDonald being forced out was primarily about a power battle, with NBC suits attempting to flex their muscle. Does anyone have any information on this?

One cameo that I particularly enjoyed McDonald doing was the first appearance of Death on The Family Guy.

Famous Mortimer

For a surprisingly honest appraisal of Norm's firing from SNL, the doc you want to watch is "SNL in the 90s: Pop Culture Nation". As well as having some hilarious sketches on it, it's got a bit where all the major players are interviewed. Ohlmeyer (the NBC exec behind the firing) claims it was to do with Macdonald getting less funny and caring less about Weekend Update; everyone else (including Lorne Michaels) says that was rubbish and he was just as funny as ever. NBC apparently expected it to be a popular move, but the press turned on the decision quite quickly and there were "save Norm" campaigns organised from various magazines, apparently.

The saddest thing about the firing was to do with "Celebrity Jeopardy", though. Apparently Burt Reynolds approached Norm, said he loved the impression and wanted to do a bit where he'd appear in the middle of an episode, punch out Norm and take his place...and be even worse at the show. Sadly, they never got the chance to do it.

EDIT: Just found out he was a guest on Bill Simmons' ESPN podcast the other day, here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd=1#/podcenter/?id=6339228&autoplay=1

VegaLA

Quote from: Ignatius_S on April 15, 2011, 03:07:11 PM
One of my friends joked that McDonald left Saturday Night Live because of drugs – which must have taken some doing. I caught a bit of a documentary that mentioned an executive (I assume it was Don Ohlmeyer) - from what I remember, it claimed that McDonald being forced out was primarily about a power battle, with NBC suits attempting to flex their muscle. Does anyone have any information on this?

Don was good friends with O J Simpson, who was under trial for suspected murder at the time and Norm as the anchor on SNL's Weekend update went to town on a weekly basis. Don told Lorne to keep him on a short lease but Lorne backed Norm as he was getting the biggests laughs. Eventually Don forced an exscuse to get rid of him and Lorne was not HP about it.
Norm did return to host and I posted an brilliant skit during the SNL 25TH anniversary of Norm gatecrashing Chevy's and Dennis' weekend update tribute.
Should be floating around here somewhere.

Slaaaaabs

Thought it was great, the anti-Sportsdome in style but just as funny, if not moreso if you love Norm's delivery.

Have to check it out. Norm on Howard Stern recently was just as funny as ever.

Tiny Poster

"Are you ready for cricket?! Monday Night Cricket?!"

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Is it worth watching if I have no interest in sports but quite a bit of interest in Norm?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on April 19, 2011, 07:54:57 PM
Is it worth watching if I have no interest in sports but quite a bit of interest in Norm?
There'll be a third to a half of the jokes that'll probably sail over your head. Brett Favre - American football player who sent a picture of his penis to some female admirer. Blake Griffin - very good basketball player. Alex Rodriguez - very good baseball player, going out with Cameron Diaz. Who else? There's some stuff about golf, too, but I don't give a damn about that either.

Jobey

Norm is the funniest man on the planet and a frickin genius!

Tiny Poster

He's got that Groucho thing of not being able to stop being funny.

Unless you're related to him, I expect.

I liked this a lot. He's just so likeable. I wonder how many takes they actually did, he seemed to stumble over the autocue quite a bit, but it's also part of his charm.

3-d lobster

Ep 2 was a bit hit and miss for me. The first 10 mins were weird, so much whooping, hollering and applause from the audience and not enough laughter gave the show an odd feel. But then arrived Kyle, much like Blake Griffin last week, Kyle was very, very funny and the highlight of the show. The audience settled down after that and laughed at the jokes instead of 'YEAAHHH' every 5 seconds. The first half had some good jokes but the audience reaction spoiled it somewhat.

I love Norm and everything he does, I like this show a lot. As I said last week, when he settles into this (and maybe I mean when the audience are more relaxed with the style) I think this could be a great show. I really hope Kyle is back in another episode.

It was interesting, the awkward atmosphere on Howard Stern when Norm casually dropped the word 'fag' a few times in the interview. Stern seemed uncomfortable, though he used to use it himself regularly. Not that I think Norm is a homophobe.

kidsick5000

Agree with 3-D lobster about the crowd noise. I know Norm's got his fans, but the whooping was decibal loaded this episode.
And yes. Kyle was awesome half attempted sentences and all

A.A

"The fuck was that?"

Made me laugh hard. Norm's spectacular delivery and facial expression just did those words wonders. 

3-d lobster

3 show in and this is my favourite show of the moment. The highlight of each show has been the pre-recorded segment, and this was no exception. In addition the show is more funny in the second half after the pre-record.

I don't know what it is about Norm but his delivery is always perfect, taking a lame concept as internet clips and basically pointing at them, making it funny it quite an achievement.

It's still a bit rusty in the first 10 mins but I love it. Anybody know how long it has been commissioned?

Tiny Poster

Norm was on (all-new, all-fun) Conan this Tuesday - get it from your usual place.

3-d lobster

The show as I expected has settled down into the Daily Show with sports. It's very funny(#) and kyle made another spectacular appearance.

#However some of the jokes I found off putting. some mild sexism and racism, and some blatant homophobic jokes. Now I'm not part of the PC Police but I thought comedy has progressed further than 'he's gay so he was sucking some cock' shtick. I love Norm and his humor is more clever than that, even on his Stern appearances he will dart skillfully around Sterns non-PC questions. It has killed what was settling to be a brilliant show.

Famous Mortimer

I thought there were a few examples of that too this week...and I think they need to retire the Kyle character quickly. It's still really funny though, and I hope it continues.

Famous Mortimer

Well, I've just watched episode 8. The mild sexism has turned into full-blown "women are useless" jokes, jokes that only "work" if you accept that premise. The sad thing is, he doesn't need to do this sort of thing.

From an awful start, the episode never really recovered. The worst episode so far by a distance.

Also, in the schedule it comes right after "Tosh.0". This week's Tosh was fantastic - packed to the rafters with jokes and weirdness, maybe the best episode so far.

Famous Mortimer

Well, it's been cancelled, and I'm guessing by the lack of any comment since about ep.4 by anyone other than me, that not too many 'whores will mourn its passing.

Also cancelled by Comedy Central: "Onion Sportsdome", a much superior sport-based comedy show. Sad, but maybe that show could go to the same channel that shows "Onion News Network".

3-d lobster

I'm not surprised, it  never really got going. The only good bit was the prerecorded sections. If they put the same effort into the rest of the show as them bits it could have been great.

I wish Norm could find a great vehicle as I love his comedy style. This show felt lazy in parts hence the homophobic/sexists jokes.

actwithoutwords

Sportsdome got cancelled? BOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Tiny Poster

Quote from: 3-d lobster on June 21, 2011, 09:30:55 PM
I'm not surprised, it  never really got going. The only good bit was the prerecorded sections. If they put the same effort into the rest of the show as them bits it could have been great.

I wish Norm could find a great vehicle as I love his comedy style. This show felt lazy in parts hence the homophobic/sexists jokes.

The, uh, the homophobic/sexist stuff is part of his style. He's not about to drop it any time soon.

I accept the terms of the

As well as looking a bit like Mike Nelson he's also disappointingly and surprisingly right wing like Mike Nelson.

3-d lobster

Quote from: Tiny Poster on June 21, 2011, 10:40:38 PM

The, uh, the homophobic/sexist stuff is part of his style. He's not about to drop it any time soon.

Well I don't have any problem with homophobic/sexist material per se, but in this show it was always an easy and lazy gag to make. I don't remember it being part of his style before (I may be wrong) but I had such high hopes for this show and feel let down.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Tiny Poster on June 21, 2011, 10:40:38 PM

See, I'm not sure about that. I've just watched a DVD of his best SNL moments, and his recent standup special, and none of them were particularly objectionable, as I recall.  I don't think the stuff about Michael Jackson being a homosexual paedophile was a slam on homosexual. The comment a few up sums up my feelings on this, so while I doubt he'll get another show any time soon, good luck to him.

Tiny Poster

Have you not heard Ridiculous, or seen Dirty Work? I don't think he's hatefully homphobic/sexist, just what you might call 'old-fashioned'. And he really doesn't care if others find him funny, he only does what amuses him.