Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:05:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend me some cheap Steam games

Started by Little Hoover, April 15, 2011, 08:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Hoover

Well the title explains this somewhat, but I have other conditions I'd like.

I want games that don't really require you to be listening  to the games soundtrack. I have lots of podcasts and music that I listen to, but I'm too restless to do one of these activities at a time. So I want something where you aren't at a significant strategic disadvantage if you can't hear the sounds of enemy gunfire etc or dramatic music cues. I'm still fine with story heavy games, as long as they have subtitles or I can pause in the middle. I don't just want very light angry bird type games though as I prefer something you can get sucked into, although games of that nature are welcome as well.

Shatter is a really nice Arkanoid-style game, and I know you're not bothered about the music but the soundtrack is really good.

I haven't got round to playing DEFCON yet but I reckon that would fit the bill too.

Gravitron 2 is an awesome clone of 8-bit classic Thrust.

Peggle is awesome loveliness. There's a free Half Life-themed version here.

Plants vs Zombies is a light RTS but great fun.

Puzzle Quest is what you get when you force Bejeweled and an RPG to mate.

You know when you play a dungeon-crawler RPG and there's the shop in the town above the dungeons? Well Recettear has you running that shop. (It's also a dungeon-crawler RPG)

SUUUUPEEERRR MEEEEEEAT BOOOOYYYYY

Torchlight is a dungeon-crawler in the Diablo mould.

VVVVVV is a really nice, quirky indie platformer.

When I saw the thread title I was ready to recommend Bit Trip Bear but the music plays quite an important part (it helps you get into the rhythm of the game).

Little Hoover

Thanks for those got me that Peggle Demo (familiar with it from a version on my phone, but it seems to work better on pc) and Super Meat Boy which is great but for the slightly unresponsive jump button.

Barberism

UFO: Enemy Unknown for £1.99. You really need the sound though.

mikeyg27

Audiosurf's cheap at the mo, and that's bestwhen you use your own music.

Little Hoover

Audiosurf seems fun, don't think it'll fit well with The Mountain Goats binge I've been on lately though.

madhair60

I'm listening to the Goats right now <3

Anyway, I recommend Revenge of the Titans.  Probably the best Tower Defence game.  Also, Sonic 3 and Knuckles.  It's arguably the best game ever.  Both Monkey Island Special Editions are great, as is Osmos and Machinarium. 

mikeyg27

Quote from: Little Hoover on April 18, 2011, 08:15:18 PM
Audiosurf seems fun, don't think it'll fit well with The Mountain Goats binge I've been on lately though.

You'd be surprised at what works, although the most exhilarating tracks to play are those with quick shifts in tempo and volume (the Pixies appear to be the best Audiosurfy band in my 2 days of playing so far).

Quote from: madhair60 on April 18, 2011, 08:23:30 PM
Also, Sonic 3 and Knuckles.  It's arguably the best game ever.

Wow. I'm not sure I've ever lost respect for someone's opinion so rapidly.

madhair60

Really?  I mean, it is pretty good.  It is up there as complete experiences go.  I could change it to Best Platformer Ever, if we could remain friends?  It would mean a lot to me.

Not a single Sonic game will ever hold a candle to Super Mario World. You want to talk Best Platformer Ever, that is your one option to choose without sounding like a fool.

A FOOL

madhair60

I prefer Yoshi's Island.

Mario World is class, mind.  But... it's not on Steam.

Monty

Sim City 4 £9.99

Maybe not that cheap, but it's what I play when listening to the iPlayer or, indeed, the Mountain Goats.[nb]Seriously.  For some reason I seem to be regularly switching back and forth between Tallahassee and The Sunset Tree.[/nb] If you're the tiniest bit interested in town planning or architecture, like the idea of growing and developing a network of cities over periods of years[nb]In real time, I mean. My current region must be over a year old now.[/nb] and have the time to trawl through an enormous library of mods[nb]Still going strong. The Network Addon Mod is essential.[/nb], then it's the game for you.

Obel

I've been banging on to everybody about Frozen Synapse recently. It's a turn based strategy game set in sort of a virtual reality contruct.

The basic premise is you have a team of dudes with different specialties, rifleman, shotgunner, rocketeer etc and you have to plan their motions throughout the playing field to take out the opposition, who is also planning their movements. It doesn't sound like much but when you get the hang of it (it's actually surprisingly easy to pick up, it's a very intuitive setup - not at all overwhelming) you'll be pulling off some sweet maneuvers and hitting that sweet spot where a game feels truly satisfying. You absolutely lose yourself in this game.

At £15 I don't know if you'd consider it cheap cheap, but you get an extra copy for a friend so if you go halves it ends up working out well cheap. To be honest my description doesn't do the game that much justice, you have to play it to really see why it's so great, I fucking LOVE it though. Also the music is fitting and great - though not essential, all the dialog is text based too.

Not sure how you embed vids on here, but here's the trailer: http://youtu.be/BOlV_9DYnOw

The game has a Youtube converter embedded, which is pretty neat. It's picking up a bit of a following online so I think multiplayer could result in some savable matches. Highly recommended!

Zetetic

I don't know if the code still works:
Quote from: Zetetic on May 08, 2011, 12:48:10 AM
Frozen Synapse is currently £12 for two copies.[nb]And you can't buy one.[/nb] (Apply coupon 'STANCHER' at checkout.)
You'll have to go through their site if it does; it'll still register on Steam though.

If anyone on here would like to play some MP games of it, please do get in touch.

Still Not George

Quote from: Obel on May 30, 2011, 05:46:23 PMThe game has a Youtube converter embedded, which is pretty neat. It's picking up a bit of a following online so I think multiplayer could result in some savable matches. Highly recommended!
I don't know why more indie games don't do this, it's really quite simple to implement.