Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:06:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Films Where The Screen Goes Black

Started by Maybe Im Doing It Wrong, April 18, 2011, 08:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Just watched The Silent House, which I recommend and is very scary indeed (it actually made me physically jump and go "fuuuuuuck!' which I don't think any film has done before, though many films have that reputation.)

Anyway - there's a bit in the middle where the screen goes black and you just hear sound for some time. I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one other movie in which this happens, but I can't think what it is. Any ideas?

Johnny Townmouse

It's used rather a lot, I seem to remember a few years ago that it started to become quite common. It is used rather effectively in both Kill Bill 2 (a film I don't really care for) and incredily well in Fahrenheit 9/11, in the scene where they choose to have only the audio of the attack on the World Trade Centre.

lipsink

The Silent House is absolutely terrifying for the first hour or so but is slightly let down by the disappointing ending. Particularly effective was
Spoiler alert
the instant camera flashing in the darkness (similar to Vertigo but tense for a different reason.
[close]

As for films where the screen goes black: the last scene of The Driller Killer (isn't it red in one version and black in another?).

The funniest examples (on TV) are the People Like Us Photographer episode and the I'm Alan Partridge Valentines episode.

Serge

Quote from: Johnny Townmouse on April 18, 2011, 09:19:12 AMIt's used rather a lot, I seem to remember a few years ago that it started to become quite common. It is used rather effectively in both Kill Bill 2 (a film I don't really care for) and incredily well in Fahrenheit 9/11, in the scene where they choose to have only the audio of the attack on the World Trade Centre.

The scene in 'Fahrenheit 9/11' works even better if you're lucky enough to see it in a cinema, where the noise is incredibly fucking loud. You don't want to see what's happening. Though, to go off-topic, the single shot of a plane going into the World Trade Centre in 'Bowling For Columbine' at the end of the sequence set to 'What A Wonderful World' is also grimly effective.

Johnny Townmouse

Yep, I saw it in the cinema and it seemed to go on forever. It was almost as if he needed to remove the visuals to present the moment in a different perspective because it seemed to put a chill up me in a way that the footage stopped doing within a few hours of the attacks.

SteveDave

"OK kid, we can do this the hard way or the easy way"

WHUMP

Black screen

*slowed down voice* The eeeeeeasy way...

madhair60

Shit ones, when I turn 'em off.  Ho ho!

BlodwynPig

Not exactly "goes" black, but the beginning of Dancer in the Dark is a few minutes of blackness.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 20, 2011, 01:16:38 PM
Not exactly "goes" black, but the beginning of Dancer in the Dark is a few minutes of blackness.

Shit, I just thought it was a fake torrent.

Not really.

Famous Mortimer

There's two minutes at the beginning and two minutes in the middle of "2001" where the screen's black, with only the stirring music to listen to.

jaydee81

I remember a friend telling me they watched Lost Highway, when halfway through the TV turned itself off. They sat and watched the black for about 2 minutes

wearyworld

Lawrence of Arabia.

Or how about Derek Jarman's Blue, if you're colourblind?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I used to hate watching films on TV during the day when you couldn't properly see a night-scene. Of course when I was annoyed by that tvs were a lot shitter than they are today, and I can now reach curtains.