Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:19:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Comedy coverage" of the Royal Wedding

Started by Bean Is A Carrot, April 18, 2011, 01:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bean Is A Carrot

Apparently Dame Edna and The Chaser are doing "comedy coverage" of the Royal Wedding for Australian television. Is there any equivalent planned here in the UK? Or would too many monarchists get upset at that kind of thing?

Jemble Fred

It's far more fun to do it yourself, as Dimbleby warbles away.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I would happily spend an afternoon listening to some CaB Radio commentary of it.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Bean Is A Carrot on April 18, 2011, 01:50:45 PM
Apparently Dame Edna and The Chaser are doing "comedy coverage" of the Royal Wedding for Australian television. Is there any equivalent planned here in the UK? Or would too many monarchists get upset at that kind of thing?
Well, Huw Edwards is the anchor for the BBC coverage, so I would expect some unintentional comedy there.

baptist

I believe Fearne Cotton is covering the wedding. Not so much 'comedy' as shallow and facile.

Famous Mortimer

I suggest watching a good comedy show while the ceremony is on.

wheatgod

The farcical nature of this country's monarchy is comedy enough for me.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: wheatgod on April 18, 2011, 07:23:19 PM
The farcical nature of this country's monarchy is comedy enough for me.

Yes indeed, I that may be what I was getting at. I will be watching the TV coverage, and marvelling at the silliness of it all, and us all.

George Oscar Bluth II

If you follow the right people on twitter, the whole thing could be comedy gold. Not sure who the right people are though...

Paaaaul

I'm going to be BBQing some swans on a trestle table outside my house.
Open invite - bring a bottle.

Icehaven

Watch it with the volume down and the sound from William Peter Blatty's The 9th Configuration over the top. I'm sure there'll be some hilarious convergences as Prince Phillip wanders around the church without his pants and Kate Middleton's family have to abseil in and sneak in through the back door while the Queen isn't looking.

mycroft

I'll be in Dublin on the day of the wedding, with some kind of ironic celebration taking place at someone's house that night. Hopefully there'll be plenty of laughs to be had then.

benthalo

Now's a good moment to ask around for Not the Nuptials, the NTNOCN Radio 1 special to mark the Charles & Diana wedding. At least, I'm assuming a copy still hasn't turned up...

NoSleep

I went to a special open air concert the day of Charles & Di's knot-tying, staged for all those that wanted to avoid the wedding in Crystal Palace Bowl - courtesy of Ken Livingstone/GLC. Great line-up: Spirit(!!), Ian Dury & The Blockheads, John Stevens' Away and a then-unknown Thompson Twins. David Rappaport compered.

I don't suppose we can expect something similar from Boris.

Head Gardener

this exhibit of Di & Dodi in the Tate Modern is probably gonna upset some folks,
what with it being so close to The Wedding and all 

rudi

Ha! that's great. Daft, but great all the same.

Old Nehamkin

Here's Jerry Seinfeld of all people talking about the wedding among other things on daybreak:

Jerry Seinfeld

Braintree

http://comedyplaza.co.uk/ are doing an alternative royal wedding commentary. It doesn't sound as good as Dame Edna but what is.

13 schoolyards

Not everyone in Australia is excited about having comedy coverage of the royal wedding: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/royal-wedding-is-no-laughing-matter/story-e6frfifo-1226043465663

My personal highlight (The Herald-Sun is Australia's biggest-selling newspaper, btw):

Quote"If it (the Chaser's royal wedding commentary) goes well, hopefully they (the ABC) ask us back next year to cover the divorce," the Chaser's Julian Morrow said in a taste of what's to come.

It is all so wrong.

Marriage is supposed to be a solemn occasion where two people declare their love for one another.

That commitment should be treated with respect.

To have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.

What is so damn funny about that?

rudi

What is so damn funny about that?

The "in poorer" bit.

NoSleep

An tSaoi

It's funny that Australian paper blanked the term "smart-a---", but had no problem with "taking the piss".

Famous Mortimer

"Comedian" Kathy Griffin is doing coverage of the event on the TV Guide Network, which might even be interesting. Proper good comedians the Sklar Brothers will be her panellists too.

BritishHobo

I don't get why you would be opposed to comedy coverage due to such an occasion demanding respect, but be perfectly fine with a bunch of boring cretins fawning over every fucking detail of the wedding, and poring over pictures of Kate Middleton, desperately trying to figure out how much weight she's lost.

Please god somebody do some kind of comedy coverage over here, I'm starting to really detest this country.

rudi

1. Who's "opposed" to it?

2. Who's "perfectly fine" with the actual coverage?

Are you replying to an imaginary thread in your head?

legspinner

Is he not just posting his response to that newspaper article?

benjula

Tokyo Sexwhale

It's very sub Chris Morris this, and fairly amusing.

Basically a lot of minor celebs being made to look like the desperate twats they are.

Faye Tozer, Stuart Baggs, Toby Anstis and some bloke from Pineapple Dance Studios have been made to think they've been invited to the Royal Wedding.  Baggs is on form here.

I don't know who this presenter bloke is though.

Ginyard

Tokyo Sexwhale

Craig Phillips appealing to Al Qaeda not to attack the Royal Wedding made I larf too.