Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:15:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Comedy coverage" of the Royal Wedding

Started by Bean Is A Carrot, April 18, 2011, 01:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I bet comedy coverage of the royal wedding is much funnier outside of the UK, because they have our culture to mock as well as the wedding.

I bet that coverage from the likes of Kathy Griffin will be brash and awful though. I have a pair of Kathy Griffin boxer shorts, given as a present by an American (I don't understand why either). They have something like "KISS MY FAT ASS" emblazoned on the back. I wouldn't be surprised if that was her catchphrase.

Yes, I've built an opinion on a comedian based mostly around my own underwear.

To her credit she seems to be helpfully militant about gay rights and other good causes. But then so is Seth McFarlane.

Speaking of McFarlane, here's Kathy with Seth's identical twin brother talking about the royal wedding coverage:

Kathy Griffin's Take: Royal Wedding

Sounds like it will be respectful (not "Haha! Look at their teeth! Go and drink some tea! Hahaha, slightly foreign!") but shit.

I've just checked the boxers and they actually say "Everybody can suck it".

MC Root

Ah. I hadn't looked at the first page in a while as I'm not that thrilled about this topic. My mistake.

13 schoolyards

Seems Colin Vickery and company are celebrating - turns out The Chaser aren't going to be covering the Royal Wedding after all: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/27/3201554.htm?section=justin

And their reply: http://www.chaser.com.au/2011/the-chasers-letter-to-her-majesty-the-queen/

Famous Mortimer

Wow, that really is a shitty move. That bit about not allowing footage to be used for satirical purposes is shocking.

MC Root

MC Root

"Craig Reucassel explains how the Chaser "ran out of options' to run their satirical royal wedding coverage. Funnyman Reucassel joined Merrick, Dools and Monty on NovaFM.

The television network owning the rights to the vision of William and Kate's Royal Wedding on has blocked the Chaser's right to broadcast the footage on ABC2 under a fair use policy.

"It's a real pain, we've been trying to get around it, we just got to the point yesterday where we ran out of options, they've covered everything" said Reucassel.

Dools asked him about Chris Taylor's claim that this could be the best thing the chaser has ever done.

"Has Chris been drinking? That's not what he said in the meetings." joked Reucassel.

Merrick suggested ways they could get around the rules in order to broadcast. "It seems ridiculous though as you say there are other people gonna be doing stuff about this wedding and there's lots of comedy around it"

"I'm don't know why we particularly have raised the eyebrows of the BBC and Clarence House"

Audio of the interview: http://www.novafm.com.au/audio_the-chaser-ran-out-of-options-for-royal-wedding-coverage_101627

The Duck Man

I note that Comedy Central have the bloke who's in those "Gap Yah" sketches on YouTube doing their wedding day trails.

sbahnhof

The Chaser put their pre-recorded skits online, to give a flavour of what the show would have been like...
http://au.chortle.com/news/2011/04/29/12766/chasers_unseen_royal_wedding_show

Youtube also has their Elton John parody (and some "Betfair" updates they were going to show) Chaser Royal Wedding - Good Luck English Rose as well asThe Chaser's Royal Wedding Commentary - The Prince's Speech

So, Australians know what
Spoiler alert
The Bill
[close]
is?! That's embarrassing.
Craig Roucassel also appeared on the panel debate program Q&A discussing the monarchy and the ban on the royal footage.

13 schoolyards

The Bill was massive in Australia for what felt like decades. Its star faded in the 21st century, but we got the final episode and everything.

I believe The Daily Show made mention of the Chaser ban briefly in their Royal Wedding coverage, if anyone wants to go track that down.

Bean Is A Carrot

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on May 05, 2011, 03:02:18 PM
The Bill was massive in Australia for what felt like decades. Its star faded in the 21st century, but we got the final episode and everything.

But did you get the "live" special? Which was the first live drama on British TV for ages, before they did that Quatermass re-dux (which the Pope died in the middle of, thus ruining the dramatic tension of the thing).

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on May 05, 2011, 03:02:18 PMI believe The Daily Show made mention of the Chaser ban briefly in their Royal Wedding coverage, if anyone wants to go track that down.

Yes, I believe they did. Andrew Hansen thanked them on Twitter.