Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:41:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PS3 Network down for a few days

Started by Depressed Beyond Tables, April 22, 2011, 07:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocky909

Waaah! I wanted to play through online co-op Portal 2 this weekend. Actually, I wonder if that has anything to do with the problem? The PS3 version of Portal 2 was able to connect with Steam to play online with PC and Mac users. Maybe that is the source of the security breach.

DocDaneeka

The Light It Up Contest -- geohot
It's normally hard to make a case for the big corporation over the little guy but in this instance I make an exception.

Viero_Berlotti

The Network does still seem to be down, however I somehow managed to download and install the latest patch for Fallout New Vegas, a game which I've not touched since mid Jan. So it seems to be working for downloads etc.. ???

I've noticed Sony keep thanking us for our patience regarding this outage. Seems a little presumptuous to me. I'm just anxious to try and connect Portal 2 to my steam account and confirm that one of Morrison's employees hasn't already blagged the code from my blatantly tested copy (no shrink wrap, small smudge on the disc)

VegaLA

Not sure if this is just me but XBox.com is down as well.
Anyone else having problems accessing it?

Nik Drou

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164186p1.html

If this is true, then it's appalling that Sony would wait so long to tell people.

Subtle Mocking

Subtle Mocking

It's found it's way onto the major news networks, CNN included. Absolutely horrific PR for Sony, just after they unveiled that new PS Tablet, it's completely forgotten about for one of the biggest gaming fuck-ups in recent memory. I almost sympathise with Sony, this must be a nightmare for them. Microsoft must be looking on with a wry smile on their faces.

jutl

Yup - cancel those cards now and change any instances of the same password used on other sites.

Penfold

Seriously though, the hacking folks can take the £15 I have if it means I can finally link my PSN Account to my Steam Account so I at least have the chance to get the co-op trophievements, even though in reality I would have linked them, got the single player things then not bothered with the co-op mode because people hate me and my Iron Man t-shirt I got 10 months ago.

I don't know anything about hacking and such but what are the chances some people who took part in the Anonymous attacks saw an open hole to go through to get extra information?

i only wonder because the day before this happened I was reading Anonymous were no longer going to attack the PSN.

Still Not George

Holy fucking shit. I'm with Charlie Brooker on this - this is historically bad.

OTOH, I will add that as far as I can tell there's still no definitive word on whether credit card info has been leaked. That stuff gets treated very, very differently from your personal info from what I understand. They're just covering their asses as much as humanly possible.

Consignia

Quote from: Still Not George on April 26, 2011, 11:57:59 PM
OTOH, I will add that as far as I can tell there's still no definitive word on whether credit card info has been leaked. That stuff gets treated very, very differently from your personal info from what I understand. They're just covering their asses as much as humanly possible.

This is true, unless the system was designed monumentally badly and didn't comply to the various regulations required for holding financial information. Nor should you be worrying about your password really, unless it had been left unhashed and unsalted in the database. The rest of your information though, is worth keeping tabs on, since recovery questions and the like may really have been leaked.

Viero_Berlotti

Just goes to show where their priorities lie when the hardware has until only recently been un-hackable since launch yet they didn't even bother to encrypt the personal data of their customers.

jutl

Quote from: Consignia on April 27, 2011, 08:44:29 AM
This is true, unless the system was designed monumentally badly and didn't comply to the various regulations required for holding financial information. Nor should you be worrying about your password really, unless it had been left unhashed and unsalted in the database. The rest of your information though, is worth keeping tabs on, since recovery questions and the like may really have been leaked.

Given how they protected the PS3's root key, I'm not sure I trust their security expertise.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: jutl on April 27, 2011, 09:54:52 AM
Given how they protected the PS3's root key, I'm not sure I trust their security expertise.

Precisely. A single non-random key? Yeah, good work Sony.

jutl

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on April 27, 2011, 09:55:51 AM
Precisely. A single non-random key? Yeah, good work Sony.

The presentation from Chaos Communication Congress is frightening and worth watching:

PSGroove.com - Console Hacking 2010 Part 1 - Chaos Communication Congress

PSGroove.com - Console Hacking 2010 Part 2 - Chaos Communication Congress

PSGroove.com - Console Hacking 2010 Part 3 - Chaos Communication Congress

...particularly from about the middle of part 2. Watch for the seemingly Amish Maths guy they wheel on at about 5.30 into part 3.

Are there any versions of these videos that don't feature the words "fail", "win" and "epic" as if they're the funniest things ever?

jutl

Quote from: Up T Bloody Tree on April 27, 2011, 10:50:39 AM
Are there any versions of these videos that don't feature the words "fail", "win" and "epic" as if they're the funniest things ever?

No, the Algonquin Round Table efforts to crack the PS3 came to nothing.

Still Not George

Quote from: jutl on April 27, 2011, 10:55:31 AM
No, the Algonquin Round Table efforts to crack the PS3 came to nothing.

Ta Jutl. Biggest laugh of the day so far.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Brace yourselves for the mother of all updates.

MojoJojo

Quote from: jutl on April 27, 2011, 10:46:07 AM
The presentation from Chaos Communication Congress is frightening and worth watching:
<you tube links>

Didn't Sony successfully subpoena Youtube to get the IP addresses of anyone who watched GeoHot's video's?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/11/sony_geohot_settle_playstation_suit/
Hmmm, not entirely clear.

But anyway, a warning in case Sony do the same thing against fail0verflow.

jutl

Quote from: MojoJojo on April 27, 2011, 01:12:11 PM
Didn't Sony successfully subpoena Youtube to get the IP addresses of anyone who watched GeoHot's video's?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/11/sony_geohot_settle_playstation_suit/
Hmmm, not entirely clear.

But anyway, a warning in case Sony do the same thing against fail0verflow.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/05/geohot_visitors_unmasked/

suggests that the subpoena only gathered IPs which had connected to Geohot's personal site, as well as details about Geohot's Google and Twitter accounts and Google account names that had been overtly granted access to a specific private video on Geohot's Youtube account, so I don't think we're in much danger.

edit to add: Yup, as detailed on pages 24 and 25 of the subpoena.

jutl

That seems to be based on a misunderstanding of the meaning of the word 'indefinitely' in the WSJ blog headline... The Sony announcement from yesterday post-dates the WSJ blog and says:

QuoteOur teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible.

jutl

It's nice to see that even in these dark days for Sony, fanboy chauvinism and rage still burn bright:

QuoteThe more i read about this, the more it confirms my theories that this was done by people who hates Sony and who want their customers to leave them to turn to for example Xbox instead. I'd like to call them Xbox fans jealous of the free services of PSN, but who knows if we'll ever find out the truth.
In other words, those who feel like they are at cross-roads right now; don't let these bastards win! Stay with Sony and show them that things like these won't make us forget all the good that Sony has given us in the past.

from http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/04/26/psnqriocity-service-update/

Subtle Mocking

Yep, there's that sort of thing on every comments section related to this story. Also the obligatory 'this is why I pay for Xbox Live,' and the classic 'BUT WHAT ABOUT MY TROPHIES'