Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:47:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Foul Play

Started by biggytitbo, April 22, 2011, 08:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

This is a bit of a neglected classic I think. Certainly one of the best mainstream comedies of the 70's and a cracking hithcock/thriller homage to boot. Goldie Hawn is gorgeous and has an impecceble light comic touch, even Chevy Chase is good and that 10 minute Dudley Moore cameo is so funny he became a Hollywood star off the back of it:
DUDLEY MOORE 'FOUL PLAY' STAYIN ALIVE

Lots of other great bits too, like the two old ladies playing rude scrabble and the dwarf cruelty. If you haven't seen it, see it!

holyzombiejesus

Ha! I saw this in Bournemouth when I was about 11 as part of a double bill with one of the Airplane films. I've never seen what the old ladies wrote in the Scrabble game, as my mum put her hands over my eyes. I do remember getting weird stirrings whilst looking at Goldie Hawn though.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 22, 2011, 08:57:39 PM
...and that 10 minute Dudley Moore cameo is so funny he became a Hollywood star off the back of it:....[/url]
Nah, that was because of 10 - but it's a lovely scene and the film is highly enjoyable, like to see it again.

biggytitbo

He was cast in 10 on the basis of this film I believe.

Small Man Big Horse

Dudley Moore saved my sister from Jesus, so I'll always be grateful to him. Whilst 14 she became obsessed with religion due to a teacher at her school, and went round telling everyone they weren't a proper Christian as they hadn't accepted Jesus in to their daily lives in the way that she had. It was a trying time, but then out of the blue she got a massive crush on Dudley (partially due to Arthur, but she's seen pretty much everything he's done) and Jesus went out of the window.

I'm fond of Foul Play, but when it comes to neglected classics[nb]Or at least really quite good films[/nb], I think his version of Unfaithfully Yours definitely deserves more acclaim.

Gradual Decline

Great film. A definite rainy-day-at-home watch. Checking up, looks like I recorded it off BBC One on the 12th of December 1997. Thrilling detail indeed.

Here is the soundtrack.

The other Chevy/Horn film, Seems Like Old Times, is worth of viewing.